Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SMU's Larry Brown Resigning

Started by The_Iceman, July 08, 2016, 08:37:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

1hawgballer2

I would not be surprise if Whitt ask for a release, in addition to a few more SMU players. Coach Brown has always been considered as a player's coach,

The_Iceman

Quote from: ricolacey on July 08, 2016, 08:45:13 am
I would not be surprise if Whitt ask for a release, in addition to a few more SMU players. Coach Brown has always been considered as a player's coach,

Both Babb and Whitt left Arkansas over playing time disputes and ended up joining a highly respected coach that left before they could ever play a game.

King Kong

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 08, 2016, 08:51:31 am
Both Babb and Whitt left Arkansas over playing time disputes and ended up joining a highly respected coach that left before they could ever play a game.

Yep.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 08, 2016, 08:51:31 am

Highly respected for his actual coaching....not so much for the other aspects. He has had issues everywhere he's been and gotten a few schools in NCAA trouble.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 08, 2016, 08:37:59 am
You knew he was never gonna stay there long. Feel sorry for Jimmy Whitt, sorta.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16888334/larry-brown-steps-coach-smu-mustangs

I don't feel sorry for any player if they go to play for a coach in his 70's. They should know that he might not be there before they finish their time there. Then again that holds true for any player and a coach at any age.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

King Kong

Only Larry Brown would leave at job at 75 because he couldn't get a long term contract

rhog1

Reading on twitter that Brown is leaving SMU over a contract dispute.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhog1 on July 08, 2016, 09:04:25 am
Reading on twitter that Brown is leaving SMU over a contract dispute.

SMU probably wanted a "no cheating" clause.

The_Iceman

Quote from: King Kong on July 08, 2016, 09:04:14 am
Only Larry Brown would leave at job at 75 because he couldn't get a long term contract

What a goon.

Pulled(PP)pork

rhog1

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/smumustangs/2016/07/08/larry-brown-confirms-resignation-smu-coach-says-contract-extension-simply-reached-school
According to this Brown wanted 4 years SMU wanted him to take a 3 year deal with only the first year partially guaranteed, and a pay cut from his current salary.  Cant really blame him for walking away if true.

azhog10

Quote from: rhog1 on July 08, 2016, 11:45:45 am
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/smumustangs/2016/07/08/larry-brown-confirms-resignation-smu-coach-says-contract-extension-simply-reached-school
According to this Brown wanted 4 years SMU wanted him to take a 3 year deal with only the first year partially guaranteed, and a pay cut from his current salary.  Cant really blame him for walking away if true.
I wouldn't want to pay him more if he can't even be allowed to coach all his games and he put the school in a position to not be allowed to play in a post season tourney. He didn't fulfill all his obligations and it's crazy to think you should be able to get a raise when you do what he did.

RealHog

Quote from: azhog10 on July 08, 2016, 11:48:10 am
I wouldn't want to pay him more if he can't even be allowed to coach all his games and he put the school in a position to not be allowed to play in a post season tourney. He didn't fulfill all his obligations and it's crazy to think you should be able to get a raise when you do what he did.

Not a Larry brown fan, but employers can "fire" employees via offers they know they'll never accept to save face and put the onus on the employee. PR move. That said, don't really have any respect for LB non coaching wise.

HoopS

Call me cold hearted but I don't feel sorry for either Babb or Whitt. They both would have gotten plenty of PT if they'd been patient. When the going gets tough, blame somebody else and quit.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HoopS on July 08, 2016, 12:58:32 pm
Call me cold hearted but I don't feel sorry for either Babb or Whitt. They both would have gotten plenty of PT if they'd been patient. When the going gets tough, blame somebody else and quit.

Put this on a tee shirt and let's kick back and watch the money roll in.  ;D

Porked Tongue

I don't buy the contract reason.  I believe it's more than that.  Preemptive strike.

hoglady

+1 - with you on this.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Jonteviosk

Quote from: hoglady on July 08, 2016, 01:41:07 pm
+1 - with you on this.

+2 I agree with you completely...Babb and Whitt are both worthless and will never sniff the NBA. As for Brown well being honest you may not like the guy personally but SMU Was irrelevant before he came and they will now be irrelevant now that hes leaving. They may be trying ti save face but their program is now back in the toilet lmao...Their AD is kind of a moron.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

HiggiePiggy

Problem with Larry Brown is that he cheats and everyone praises him as a great coach. So you are saying that cheating is acceptable then. So I want everyone to stop complaining about teams that cheat.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

26.2Hog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 09, 2016, 09:45:22 am
Problem with Larry Brown is that he cheats and everyone praises him as a great coach. So you are saying that cheating is acceptable then. So I want everyone to stop complaining about teams that cheat.

That other SMU coach, Bobby Collins, says "right on brutha!"

mhuff

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 08, 2016, 01:20:34 pm
I don't buy the contract reason.  I believe it's more than that.  Preemptive strike.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 08, 2016, 01:00:46 pm
Put this on a tee shirt and let's kick back and watch the money roll in.  ;D

I would possibly buy one if it wasn't too tough to find one.

PonderinHog

I had one that said, "Flunk out now and avoid the rush!"  I always wore it on test days.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 09, 2016, 09:45:22 am
"Cheater" and "great coach" aren't mutually exclusive, though. He is a cheater, but can really coach as well. I believe Popovich turned down a paying gig to coach with Brown for free. Also, Brown didn't cheat while in the NBA and did quite well there too.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 26.2Hog on July 09, 2016, 02:03:04 pm
That other SMU coach, Bobby Collins, says "right on brutha!"

That all started before Collins ever got there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BBsTheMan on July 10, 2016, 01:34:11 am
"Cheater" and "great coach" aren't mutually exclusive, though. He is a cheater, but can really coach as well. I believe Popovich turned down a paying gig to coach with Brown for free. Also, Brown didn't cheat while in the NBA and did quite well there too.

Whole different ball of wax. Different game, rules, league and administration of the organization and teams. In the NBA players are paid by someone else besides the coaches................................

hogwood

Wonder if there is a possibility Whitt will return. Not that I really want him to, but I'm sure he is still close to the staff and players. I think there are better prospects in the 2017 class though. Just curious if it's a possibility he can just come back for next season...?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rhog1 on July 08, 2016, 11:45:45 am
so you think he should be able to demand a contract that runs thru his 81st birthday??? 81st!!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

BigSexyHog

Can't believe the gods haven't gotten all over you for that comment
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

HoopS

Surprised too.

I have nothing against them. Just really don't care for what seems to be the trend of "play me now whether I'm ready or not or I'm leaving" that seems to be sweeping the nation.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: BigSexyHog on July 12, 2016, 01:02:19 pm

Can't believe the gods haven't gotten all over you for that comment

I think they're all at a banquet on Mount Olympus right now. Phones on silent.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2016, 07:26:21 am
Whole different ball of wax. Different game, rules, league and administration of the organization and teams. In the NBA players are paid by someone else besides the coaches................................
Had no idea....

He's a great coach, want to refute that?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BBsTheMan on July 13, 2016, 11:40:38 pm
Had no idea....

He's a great coach, want to refute that?

I guess you did't read the whole thread. My post at #4 reads "highly respected for his actual coaching".