Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kevin Durant to Golden State

Started by HiggiePiggy, July 04, 2016, 01:21:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

There won't be enough basketballs for Curry, Thompson, and Durant on the court at the same time.  Curry is somewhat unselfish but Thompson and Durant never saw a shot they didn't like.  Plus, wasn't there some talk about Durant to the Warriors a year or so ago?  If I recall correctly Curry was on record as not being crazy about the idea. 

They're not exactly Chamberlain, Jerry West, and Elgin Baylor all on the same Lakers team...but that didn't work out for as many championships as people thought it might, either.

Hawg Red

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 05, 2016, 09:17:00 am
There won't be enough basketballs for Curry, Thompson, and Durant on the court at the same time.  Curry is somewhat unselfish but Thompson and Durant never saw a shot they didn't like.  Plus, wasn't there some talk about Durant to the Warriors a year or so ago?  If I recall correctly Curry was on record as not being crazy about the idea. 

They're not exactly Chamberlain, Jerry West, and Elgin Baylor all on the same Lakers team...but that didn't work out for as many championships as people thought it might, either.

Don't forget shots for Draymond Green.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 05, 2016, 09:20:26 am
Don't forget shots for Draymond Green.

and a seat at a podium for him to run his mouth.

MikePiazza

I wouldn't have had a problem with KD leaving if he had gone to literally ANY OTHER team but Golden State.

San Antonio, Miami, New York, Washington, LAC, anyone but the team that just eliminated you from the playoffs. It would've been like LeBron joining Boston and the Big 3 after they knocked him out in 2010.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: MikePiazza on July 05, 2016, 10:37:06 am
I wouldn't have had a problem with KD leaving if he had gone to literally ANY OTHER team but Golden State.

San Antonio, Miami, New York, Washington, LAC, anyone but the team that just eliminated you from the playoffs. It would've been like LeBron joining Boston and the Big 3 after they knocked him out in 2010.

Agreed. Washington and Boston would have been nice fits for him.

onebadrubi

I think KD made the right move.  Here is why,

He knew next year the entire team was up for contract extensions, which the three major players were possibly up for max contracts; KD, Westbrook, and Adams.  KD and everyone knows Westbrook as gone, he has since basically confirmed that since KD left.  Adams is probably going to test the waters, he can not be the number 1 player on a team but can be a great asset to an already good team with cap space. 

KD found a team, GS, with cap room now and cap room going forward because of the spacing of the contracts and gift of the new TV contracts.  GS also just happen to have the most pieces already in place.  I do however think it would have been more interesting to see him go to Boston and watch Stephens and that team really become a top contender day 1 of next season.

Durant doesn't need the money, his shoe deal has made him absolutely filthy rich.  His playing income is just merely spending money now.  He wants to win and have fun doing so. 

Disclaimer:  I think GS really lost a key component though.  I said in the finals they must hang on to Bogut.  He might be the best passing BIG which makes the 3 point line more lethal for them.  He can shoot free throws, so no hack-a-bogut liek you had with Ezeli.  But they lost Bogut.  They going to put Draymond and KD at the 4 and 5, I guess that would be really two 4's technically. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 05, 2016, 10:45:59 am
Agreed. Washington and Boston would have been nice fits for him.

I think Washington is a bad fit. I think that team is plagued with choking.  Not a fan of the coach either. 

Dr. Starcs

The_Iceman

July 05, 2016, 11:46:26 am #58 Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 01:15:54 pm by The_Iceman
Quote from: onebadrubi on July 05, 2016, 11:37:44 am
I think Washington is a bad fit. I think that team is plagued with choking.  Not a fan of the coach either. 

Boston would have been a better fit. Great young coach, truly one of the best in the entire game. Horford, Thomas, and a plethora of young talent. He would have been neck and neck with Cleveland in the East with that team, plus he would have been THE man.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 05, 2016, 11:43:31 am
Bogut is a 55% ft shooter.

You don't hack Bogut, coaches knew that all season.  You didn't see a team try it not even once I am pretty sure. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 05, 2016, 11:46:26 am
Boston would have been a better fit. Great young coach, truly one of the best in the entire game. Horford, Thomas, and a plethora of young talent. He would have been neck and neck with Boston in the East with that team, plus he would have been THE man.

Could celtics sign both KD and Horford?  I honestly don't know?  If so man that would have been fun to watch under Brad S with a true point guard and a few defensive pieces. 

Dr. Starcs

I could be wrong, but I thought okc did a few times in that series.

Regardless, losing green in game 5 and bogut in games 6 & 7 effectively cost them the title, I agree.

Hawg Red

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 05, 2016, 11:50:23 am
Could celtics sign both KD and Horford?  I honestly don't know?  If so man that would have been fun to watch under Brad S with a true point guard and a few defensive pieces.

They could have created room for a second max contract by waiving Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko (both have completely non-guaranteed contracts until 7/12).

Hogimus Prime

Have any of these Big 3or Big 4 team ups really ever live up to hype?

Dr. Starcs

The Spurs have 5 titles, (4 with their "big 3") and they were built from their own drafting.

Granted, getting Tim Duncan as the number 1 was a huge bonus, due to the fact that David Robinson was injured that season. But there's been a lot of teams screw up that opportunity.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 05, 2016, 11:43:31 am
Bogut is a 55% ft shooter.

But he's Larry Bird or Reggie Miller compared to Ezeli.  How in the world can a man become a professional basketball player and yet shoot brick after brick after brick from the free throw line?  As far as I am concerned a player who can't (shouldn't) be on the floor in a close game at crunch time is a liability.  If I were coaching against him I would send in the 12th guy on the bench to foul him on every possession.

At least Shaq had some other offensive skills.  Ezeli is like a 7 footer who just had a basketball tossed to him for the first time.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 05, 2016, 12:06:31 pm
Ezeli is like a 7 footer who just had a basketball tossed to him for the first time.

Well what do you expect from a guy named Festus?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

rzrbackramsfan

I disagree I think this warriors team will have great chemistry and durant is only an upgrade over Barnes I'm offense and defense in my opinion. I wonder what the plan is at center.  Festus?

Also, the Bay Area is a great place to live, and Oklahoma City is super conservative and not as much to do/like minded people to hang out with.  I'd get the heck out if I was durant too and Westbrook probably will too

onebadrubi

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on July 05, 2016, 12:49:08 pm
I disagree I think this warriors team will have great chemistry and durant is only an upgrade over Barnes I'm offense and defense in my opinion. I wonder what the plan is at center.  Festus?

Also, the Bay Area is a great place to live, and Oklahoma City is super conservative and not as much to do/like minded people to hang out with.  I'd get the heck out if I was durant too and Westbrook probably will too

I think Warriors have leaked they aren't interested in resigning Ezeli. 

KD wanted closer to LA home, but never really led anyone to believe he didn't like OKC.  He really has been a class act for OKC and most there will agree. 

Westbrook is GONE!  He is wanting a large market team, most would assume LA. 

McKdaddy

Quote from: King Kong on July 05, 2016, 08:52:00 am
Here is what I think happened. Westbrook is leaving OKC after this season and let KD know that. So KD choose the best spot for him long term considering that.

KD could have resigned with OKC and given it one more go but then the GS opportunity is no longer an option in a year and he would be without Westbrook

^^^^^
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

RME

Quote from: King Kong on July 05, 2016, 08:52:00 am
Here is what I think happened. Westbrook is leaving OKC after this season and let KD know that. So KD choose the best spot for him long term considering that.

KD could have resigned with OKC and given it one more go but then the GS opportunity is no longer an option in a year and he would be without Westbrook

If there's any inkling of that, OKC will bite the bullet and find a trade for Westbrook. As one of the guys on ESPN said yesterday, they'd rather get something for Westbrook and tank a season rather than get nothing for him like what just happened with Durant.

Dr. Starcs

Gst is bringing in zaza pachulia as center.

McKdaddy

Dr. Starcs

They may round out their roster with Stockton, Malone and Barkley.

King Kong

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 05, 2016, 01:19:29 pm
If there's any inkling of that, OKC will bite the bullet and find a trade for Westbrook. As one of the guys on ESPN said yesterday, they'd rather get something for Westbrook and tank a season rather than get nothing for him like what just happened with Durant.

I expect him to be traded. We will see what happens.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/04/thunder-russell-westbrook-contract-no-extension?xid=si_social

The_Iceman

Westbrook being traded is interesting. Westbrook's people have leaked that he is interested in LA and NY. He wants to be a big city star. But, NYK and Nets have no assets to trade. The Lakers have the assets, but would rather just wait and get him next offseason along with another lottery pick.

I've heard the Sixers as a possibility, but the Thunder don't need big men and is straight up for Simmons worth it without a guaranteed extension? Boston has draft picks and some nice young pieces, but they'll want an extension guarantee as well.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: King Kong on July 05, 2016, 01:27:07 pm
I expect him to be traded. We will see what happens.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/04/thunder-russell-westbrook-contract-no-extension?xid=si_social

Sam Presti better go ahead and move him via a trade so that OKC at least gets something for Westbrook.

If I was Presti, I would be calling up Milwaukee to see if they are interested in a possible trade of Westbrook for Michael Carter-Williams and 2 future Draft picks.

I don't see Milwaukee wanting to give up Khris Middleton or Jabari Parker to go along with Carter-Williams, hence the 2 future Draft picks, but Presti needs to get a good Point Guard in exchange for Westbrook.

onebadrubi

Presti will be looking for draft picks.  OKC in recent history under presti has drafted pretty well.  I assume thier route will be to trade westbrook and lock up Adams.  Kind of shocked they didn't go after Harrison Barnes now as well. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 05, 2016, 02:30:03 pm
Sam Presti better go ahead and move him via a trade so that OKC at least gets something for Westbrook.

If I was Presti, I would be calling up Milwaukee to see if they are interested in a possible trade of Westbrook for Michael Carter-Williams and 2 future Draft picks.

I don't see Milwaukee wanting to give up Khris Middleton or Jabari Parker to go along with Carter-Williams, hence the 2 future Draft picks, but Presti needs to get a good Point Guard in exchange for Westbrook.

Westbrook won't sign long term in Milwaulkee, so they would be better off continuing to build from within.

King Kong

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 05, 2016, 02:39:14 pm
Westbrook won't sign long term in Milwaulkee, so they would be better off continuing to build from within.

Yep, under the current CBA the players have a lot of power to direct where they can go.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 05, 2016, 02:39:14 pm

I don't see Los Angeles or New York in play for Westbrook, because as you posted they don't really have the assets for them to trade for Westbrook.

If Westbrook is going to make it difficult about who he goes to in a trade because of he won't sign long term with the team he is traded to, then Westbrook has OKC "over a barrel."

OKC really can't competitively afford to not get something for both Durant and Westbrook.  They are going to have to get something for Westbrook.

Hawg Red

The difficult part about dealing Westbrook for acceptable value (because you just aren't going to get equal value) is that he's only got one year left on his contract and, by all accounts, he isn't going to sign any kind of extension with any team (OKC included). Teams will be hesitant to give up real assets for one year of Westbrook. But there could be a team or two desperate enough. Would Boston be willing to take the chance? They have the picks to get it done. Philly? Doesn't seems like a good fit career-wise for Westbrook at this time. I'm sure San Antonio would love to have him right now, but how do they get him? Anything of value they have, they'll need to contend. The most interesting team is the Lakers. There have been rumors that Westbrook would like to set up shop out West, though it's hard to cut through the noise there. LA didn't exactly knock it out of the park in free agency this summer. But they do have some good young players to send back (Russell, Clarkson, maybe future picks).

Hawg Red

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 05, 2016, 02:52:58 pm
I don't see Los Angeles or New York in play for Westbrook, because as you posted they don't really have the assets for them to trade for Westbrook.

If Westbrook is going to make it difficult about who he goes to in a trade because of he won't sign long term with the team he is traded to, then Westbrook has OKC "over a barrel."

OKC really can't competitively afford to not get something for both Durant and Westbrook.  They are going to have to get something for Westbrook.

The Lakers could have Westbrook this afternoon if they offered a package centered around D'Angelo Russell and Brandon Ingram. OKC would be foolish to turn that down.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 05, 2016, 02:56:52 pm
The Lakers could have Westbrook this afternoon if they offered a package centered around D'Angelo Russell and Brandon Ingram. OKC would be foolish to turn that down.

Should the Lakers give up both Ingram and Russell for Westbrook? Russell is a no doubt move. But Ingram has pretty high star potential. Their lineup if they give them both up would be:

Westbrook
Clarkson
Deng
Randle
Mozgov

Of course, you'd expect with Westbrook resigned you'll attract big names next offseason to join him. Or, wait until 2017 and try to sign him, and have a lineup of:

Westbrook
Russell/Clarkson
Ingram/Deng
Randle/Nance
Mozgov

Plus their 2017 1st round pick. That roster could start making some serious moves in the West. I don't know what they should do. Russell has 16-20ppg potential. Ingram could be a 20-24 ppg guy when developed. If I were, OKC, I would take that deal in a heartbeat. I'm just not sure the Lakers at this stage should rush it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 05, 2016, 02:55:33 pm
The difficult part about dealing Westbrook for acceptable value (because you just aren't going to get equal value) is that he's only got one year left on his contract and, by all accounts, he isn't going to sign any kind of extension with any team (OKC included). Teams will be hesitant to give up real assets for one year of Westbrook. But there could be a team or two desperate enough. Would Boston be willing to take the chance? They have the picks to get it done. Philly? Doesn't seems like a good fit career-wise for Westbrook at this time. I'm sure San Antonio would love to have him right now, but how do they get him? Anything of value they have, they'll need to contend. The most interesting team is the Lakers. There have been rumors that Westbrook would like to set up shop out West, though it's hard to cut through the noise there. LA didn't exactly knock it out of the park in free agency this summer. But they do have some good young players to send back (Russell, Clarkson, maybe future picks).

Ol sam loves young players.  Depending on where he ranked Randle and the Ohio st PG (Cant think of his name, one that leaked text or whatever from locker room about other player's sex life), sam may try to get those guys in a trade and LA might let them go.  Might try for Clarkson as another option as well.  LA has some pieces, just depends if they two will talk. 

Not sure Boston will depart with what Sam may wnat.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 05, 2016, 02:56:52 pm

I see you beat me too it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 05, 2016, 03:07:03 pm
Should the Lakers give up both Ingram and Russell for Westbrook? Russell is a no doubt move. But Ingram has pretty high star potential. Their lineup if they give them both up would be:

Westbrook
Clarkson
Deng
Randle
Mozgov

Of course, you'd expect with Westbrook resigned you'll attract big names next offseason to join him. Or, wait until 2017 and try to sign him, and have a lineup of:

Westbrook
Russell/Clarkson
Ingram/Deng
Randle/Nance
Mozgov

Plus their 2017 1st round pick. That roster could start making some serious moves in the West. I don't know what they should do. Russell has 16-20ppg potential. Ingram could be a 20-24 ppg guy when developed. If I were, OKC, I would take that deal in a heartbeat. I'm just not sure the Lakers at this stage should rush it.

We don't even know who is running the Lakers team.  But by all accounts they love a big name, Westbrook is that and I think they would sell the farm for it. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 05, 2016, 03:07:03 pm

Westbrook
Clarkson
Deng
Randle
Mozgov

Westbrook
Russell/Clarkson
Ingram/Deng
Randle/Nance
Mozgov

I don't know if LA would part with both Russell and Ingram, but that's almost assuredly where OKC would start. I'm not sure LA can trade their 2017 pick because I believe it goes to Philly if it falls outside of the top 3, which it's likely to with or without Westbrook. Not sure what they can deal in terms of draft picks after that.

Personally, I don't see the Lakers giving them both up without an assurance that Westbrook extends (surely he could lure someone else to come play with him), but Jim Buss....you never know. They gave Mozgov and Deng 4-year deals that are going to pay them between 16 and 19 million in the final two years (both will be considered past their prime by then and 34-35 years old). I think the Lakers would try to move Russell and Randle and clear some room to make a run at Westbrook next summer. Maybe the trade to offer is Russell, Clarkson and Randle. I don't know, but I think they could conceivably get a deal done with their young players.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 05, 2016, 02:55:33 pm

Yep, you are correct.  Not a lot of trade leverage for OKC because Westbrook only has 1 year left on his contract.  Plus, Westbrook apparently wanting to be a big city star, which limits trade locations, dosen't help OKC.

It looks like really limited options for OKC. 

1.  Hope to work out a trade with the Lakers.

or

2.  Try to convince Westbrook to stay in OKC and to resign with OKC after this next season, and promise to surround Westbrook with some big name players.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 05, 2016, 03:40:59 pm
Yep, you are correct.  Not a lot of trade leverage for OKC because Westbrook only has 1 year left on his contract.  Plus, Westbrook apparently wanting to be a big city star, which limits trade locations, dosen't help OKC.

It looks like really limited options for OKC. 

1.  Hope to work out a trade with the Lakers.

or

2.  Try to convince Westbrook to stay in OKC and to resign with OKC after this next season, and promise to surround Westbrook with some big name players.

Best case for the Westbrook and the Lakers (if that's his plan), is for him to play out this season (in OKC or wherever) and then the Lakers put together a package for another good player (using Russell and Randle, or maybe Clarkson and Randle) and sign Westbrook. Cap goes up again next summer for before leveling out, so the Lakers should be able to swing that and still have Ingram, Deng, and Mozgov to go with Westbrook and another good player (maybe not a top flight guy but someone like a Paul Millsap or Danilo Gallinari). I think Ingram can play in the backcourt with Westbrook if need be.

The_Iceman

If Westbrook agreed to a 5 year deal, this is a trade both teams should do:

Sixers Trade Ben Simmons for Russell Westbrook.

OKC:
Cameron Payne
Victor Oladipo
Ben Simmons
Ersan Ilyasova
Adams/Kanter

Sixers:
Russell Westbrook
Gerald Henderson
Robert Covington (very underrated player)
Nerlens Noel
Jahlil Okafor

The Sixers will also have Dario Saric and Joel Embiid (possibly) joining the roster this season. I think the Sixers if they could make another small move or two could become a player in the East with this move. They'll be really young around Westbrook, but you may be able to attract a few other free agents to fill out the roster. For OKC, you couldn't ask for a better return player or Westbrook. Time to start rebuilding, and that is a good place to start.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 05, 2016, 03:32:50 pm
I don't know if LA would part with both Russell and Ingram, but that's almost assuredly where OKC would start. I'm not sure LA can trade their 2017 pick because I believe it goes to Philly if it falls outside of the top 3, which it's likely to with or without Westbrook. Not sure what they can deal in terms of draft picks after that.

Personally, I don't see the Lakers giving them both up without an assurance that Westbrook extends (surely he could lure someone else to come play with him), but Jim Buss....you never know. They gave Mozgov and Deng 4-year deals that are going to pay them between 16 and 19 million in the final two years (both will be considered past their prime by then and 34-35 years old). I think the Lakers would try to move Russell and Randle and clear some room to make a run at Westbrook next summer. Maybe the trade to offer is Russell, Clarkson and Randle. I don't know, but I think they could conceivably get a deal done with their young players.

I don't think either the Lakers would give up both Russell and Ingram.  Regarding Ingram, that may not be necessarily a bad thing for OKC to not get Ingram because after all Ingram is an unproven NBA player.  He does have talent, and the proverbial potential, but it could also be a couple years of development for him against NBA level competition.

If Sam Presti can get Russell, Randle, and a future Draft pick (even if it is a 2nd Round pick), then to me Presti should take that.  Considering the difficult situation OKC is in, getting Russell, Randle, and a future Draft pick would be one of the most even value possibilities for OKC.

husker71

why trade for him  (Westbrook)   just wait until next summer and sign him   thats what I would do   they can use this year to see if Russell can possibly play point guard    By the way Durant to GSW is another Jerry West deal (altough I dont know his contribution)  he is still valuable to any franchise    To bad the Lakers ran him off after Doctor Jerry  Buss died.

McKdaddy

West left LAL for the Grizz 11 years before Jerry Buss passed away.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: husker71 on July 05, 2016, 04:37:28 pm
why trade for him  (Westbrook)   just wait until next summer and sign him   thats what I would do   they can use this year to see if Russell can possibly play point guard    By the way Durant to GSW is another Jerry West deal (altough I dont know his contribution)  he is still valuable to any franchise    To bad the Lakers ran him off after Doctor Jerry  Buss died.

I believe most guys are looking at this from an OKC standpoint. Trade him now and get something for him instead of letting him walk and getting nothing at all.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 05, 2016, 04:53:35 pm
I believe most guys are looking at this from an OKC standpoint. Trade him now and get something for him instead of letting him walk and getting nothing at all.

True, and OKC should. But on the other end, no team will do that unless there is a guarantee to re-sign there.

Inhogswetrust

Seems there are a lot of NBA expert player personnel directors in here..................no wait never mind there isn't.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rzrbackramsfan

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 05, 2016, 05:04:43 pm
Seems there are a lot of NBA expert player personnel directors in here..................no wait never mind there isn't.

Oh yeah, funny to be a SA on a basketball forum full of guys discuss basketball players and teams.

RME

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 05, 2016, 05:04:43 pm
Seems there are a lot of NBA expert player personnel directors in here collegiate and professional sports experts on Hogville..................no wait never mind there isn't.

FIFY.

I haven't read any posts of anyone here claiming to be an expert. It's a message board. What good is a message board if speculation isn't allowed?