Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One will play!

Started by Jonteviosk, June 15, 2016, 07:06:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonteviosk

Ok this is an open thread any opinions are welcome even yours Morgan!!!! We all know in CMA;s style he will play 10 guys.

F-Arlando Cook 6'9
C-Moses Kingsley 6'10
G-Darryl Macon 6'3
G-Dusty Hannahs 6'3
G-Jaylen Barford 6'5

F-Dustin Thomas 6'8
C-Trey Thompson 6'10
G-Manny Watkins 6'3
G-Anton Beard. 6'0

roughly top 9

so question is who do you think the 10th will be? Which gets the most play as a backup small forward?

F-Adrio Bailey 6'8?
F-Brachen Hazen 6'8?
or
G-Cairon Jones 6'6?

looking at the roster one of those 3 will be the 10th guy in the roation and likely to play 9-12 minutes roughly. So who do we think the lead pony is?
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Biggus Piggus

At Missouri in 2008-09, MA played 11 with regularity. Also did so at UTEP.

If he has a good distribution of players at every position, MA will play 11.
[CENSORED]!

farmhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 15, 2016, 07:26:37 pm
At Missouri in 2008-09, MA played 11 with regularity. Also did so at UTEP.

If he has a good distribution of players at every position, MA will play 11.
Utep?
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HOGINTENNESSEE

ShadowHawg

hogwood

Really hard to say. I do think we go with 11 this year. We are deep. Bailey is a good defender. Hazen a good shooter. They should both get regular PT.

mbgrulz

If we're dead set on playing at least 2 full waves, then you don't really want your best 5 and then 6-10. You really need to mix it up and get some top 5 players in each wave. I'm not sure we have a true 5 in/5 out team. I think we'll need to bring in 2 or 3, then 2 or 3 more always trying to keep at least 1 or 2 of our top scorers in.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: mbgrulz on June 16, 2016, 01:28:54 pm
If we're dead set on playing at least 2 full waves, then you don't really want your best 5 and then 6-10. You really need to mix it up and get some top 5 players in each wave. I'm not sure we have a true 5 in/5 out team. I think we'll need to bring in 2 or 3, then 2 or 3 more always trying to keep at least 1 or 2 of our top scorers in.

Well, considering we will probably start Manny Watkins most of the year, that may be easier to do.

ShadowHawg

We rarely sub 5 at a time. Why do some on here act like we do it most of the time?

That's how that moron Cal does it when he has more guys than he knows what to do with, but very few coaches have ever actually had two separate units. Most that play a lot of guys have versatile guys that can play different spots which allows more guys to get in the rotation.

Jonteviosk

I know its not like 5 in 5 out but coach still during the course of the games plays at least 10. I was just wondering which of the 3 freshman you guys thought would wind up being 10 on the depth chart and play more than the other 2 frosh.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

mhuff

Quote from: hogwood on June 16, 2016, 01:15:53 pm
Really hard to say. I do think we go with 11 this year. We are deep. Bailey is a good defender. Hazen a good shooter. They should both get regular PT.

You are right on target. Bailey will probably play the upper tempo and Hazen a slower half court game. I believe Hazen will be the shooter and Bailey will be the in your face...... rip your arm off and beat you with it player. I don't know about Jones.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 16, 2016, 10:56:24 pm
Well, considering we will probably start Manny Watkins most of the year, that may be easier to do.
Hopefully, it won't be at the 4 spot.

HoopS

I will admit that I struggle to figure out Watkins' role. But I always envision him in the second wave and as a third guard. Guess he can handle well enough he can facilitate some on offense. He's a glue guy though and there will, and should be, a role for him. They'll figure it out. And he will contribute by doing little, necessary things. Would serve him well to continue to improve his FT shooting and if he could develop a steady 12-15 footer, we would just be that much better as a team.

I see Bailey as an athlete type who is long enough to get out and run on the break, rebound, block a shot here and there and deflect some passes this first year. Brachen seems more offensively polished. Think he's more athletic than some know. Cairon is hard to pinpoint. Guess he's a 3?

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 17, 2016, 06:48:19 am
Hopefully, it won't be at the 4 spot.

We will have an awfully tall second unit if he is lol.

Biggus Piggus

MA likes to employ a variety of combinations through competitive games.

Two power forwards | wing guard | two quick guards
Two power forwards | three big guards
Two power forwards | small forward | two combo guards
One power forward or low post | small forward | three quick guards

And so on.

This is the first time since his return that MA has had good players ready for all those roles. I don't know whether Arkansas has great matchups to deal with, say, a super-quick point guard. But overall I bet opponents have more matchup problems than Arkansas will have.
[CENSORED]!

Jonteviosk

So the general consensus seems to be

F-Thomas
C-Kingsley
G-Watkins
G-Hannahs
G-Barford

then
F-Cook
F-Hazen
C-Thompson
G-Macon
G-Beard

and then
F-Bailey

Does anyone have and insight to offer on potential contributions of Jones?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Jonteviosk on June 15, 2016, 07:06:19 pm
Ok this is an open thread any opinions are welcome even yours Morgan!!!! We all know in CMA;s style he will play 10 guys.

F-Arlando Cook 6'9
C-Moses Kingsley 6'10
G-Darryl Macon 6'3
G-Dusty Hannahs 6'3
G-Jaylen Barford 6'5

F-Dustin Thomas 6'8
C-Trey Thompson 6'10
G-Manny Watkins 6'3
G-Anton Beard. 6'0

roughly top 9

so question is who do you think the 10th will be? Which gets the most play as a backup small forward?

F-Adrio Bailey 6'8?
F-Brachen Hazen 6'8?
or
G-Cairon Jones 6'6?

looking at the roster one of those 3 will be the 10th guy in the roation and likely to play 9-12 minutes roughly. So who do we think the lead pony is?
Bailey and Hazen will play, we'll see less Beard and Watkins than you think as well.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Jonteviosk on June 17, 2016, 02:46:24 am
I know its not like 5 in 5 out but coach still during the course of the games plays at least 10. I was just wondering which of the 3 freshman you guys thought would wind up being 10 on the depth chart and play more than the other 2 frosh.

Wasn't on you Jont, there are a couple just above my post talking about being dead set on mass substitutions. Just wondering whose team they actually watch. Sorry if I made you feel like I was on you.

I think Hazen will see more of the time if he can consistently knock down outside jumpers.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: Jonteviosk on June 17, 2016, 08:13:51 pm
So the general consensus seems to be

F-Thomas
C-Kingsley
G-Watkins
G-Hannahs
G-Barford

then
F-Cook
F-Hazen
C-Thompson
G-Macon
G-Beard

and then
F-Bailey

Does anyone have and insight to offer on potential contributions of Jones?
It looks about right, but I'd take a look at Thompson instead of Thomas at PF-he and Kingsley seem to work well in the high-low offense.  Macon coming in for Watkins in a sixth-man, instant offense type of role might work, and Thomas, Hazen, and Cook add good depth at F. Bailey will challenge Beard for that "rugged guard" position. Jones has some size, so he might get a look, especially if he can rebound. It should be an interesting year watching Coach A try to fit the pieces together.                                             
Do you wanna get Rocked?

PonderinHog

This Europe trip couldn't have come at a better time!   :razorback:

HoopS

TheRazorback500

Quote from: HoopS on June 18, 2016, 11:16:31 am
Bailey isn't a guard.
I could see him playing that role because of his mobility, but you're right, he isn't a guard. I should have worded it differently.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Biggus Piggus

Low post - Kingsley, Thompson, Cook
Combo forward - Thomas, Bailey
Small forward - Hazen
Swingman - Watkins
Two guard - Hannahs, Macon, Jones
Combo guard - Barford, Beard
Point guard - ???

The best players on the team are probably Kingsley, Hannahs, Barford and Macon. Will they all be part of the best combination?

This lineup might look a lot different by the end of the season. Some players must develop into their best roles.

Thompson is the closest thing to a low post player on this team, on the offensive end. Thompson needs to develop his ability on defense. He is improving, but Kingsley is the best low post defender.

Kingsley has more of a basket-facing offensive game. If he is going to do that, he needs a better shot and ballhandling.

Cook is built like an inside-out power forward but plays like a low post. Cook must develop his overall offensive skills.

Kingsley, Thompson and Cook have the potential to be a formidable rebounding unit.

Thomas is a ready-to-go combo forward, who can swing between guarding power players and being a difficult matchup on the offensive end. Thomas could use more polish on his shooting and ballhandling.

Bailey is a high school post player who is built like a combo forward. His game is all inside right now. Bailey needs to work on shooting and ballhandling. Bailey's a physical player who can leap, and that could make him useful. His talents could make him a good defensive substitution, in time.

Hazen is a true small forward who can shoot from outside, put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket, or work around the lane. Hazen should be useful right away.

The best fit for Watkins is swingman, where defense and rebounding are the main requirements.

Hannahs, Macon and Jones are three different kinds of shooting guards. Hannahs is the shoot-first type who can demoralize an opponent with flurries of points, not exactly defensive-minded. Macon is a well-rounded player who can defend, rebound, and score from anywhere. Jones is most dangerous going to the hole, as he has a strong mid-range game and also can take it straight to the rim. Jones seems to make outside shots when he needs to. He was known in high school as a physically intimidating player.

Arkansas does not have a true point guard on hand. Barford is a combo guard whose skills are between a 1 and a 2. He has good size and will dominate a lot of opponents, might have issues with really quick point guards (though he can overpower them on offense). Beard last season looked like a high school guard who had not developed the skills to fit into his college position.

If some of these players develop the skills to fit their positions, Arkansas could be much better in March vs. November.
[CENSORED]!

RealHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 18, 2016, 04:11:28 pm
Low post - Kingsley, Thompson, Cook
Combo forward - Thomas, Bailey
Small forward - Hazen
Swingman - Watkins
Two guard - Hannahs, Macon, Jones
Combo guard - Barford, Beard
Point guard - ???

The best players on the team are probably Kingsley, Hannahs, Barford and Macon. Will they all be part of the best combination?

This lineup might look a lot different by the end of the season. Some players must develop into their best roles.

Thompson is the closest thing to a low post player on this team, on the offensive end. Thompson needs to develop his ability on defense. He is improving, but Kingsley is the best low post defender.

Kingsley has more of a basket-facing offensive game. If he is going to do that, he needs a better shot and ballhandling.

Cook is built like an inside-out power forward but plays like a low post. Cook must develop his overall offensive skills.

Kingsley, Thompson and Cook have the potential to be a formidable rebounding unit.

Thomas is a ready-to-go combo forward, who can swing between guarding power players and being a difficult matchup on the offensive end. Thomas could use more polish on his shooting and ballhandling.

Bailey is a high school post player who is built like a combo forward. His game is all inside right now. Bailey needs to work on shooting and ballhandling. Bailey's a physical player who can leap, and that could make him useful. His talents could make him a good defensive substitution, in time.

Hazen is a true small forward who can shoot from outside, put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket, or work around the lane. Hazen should be useful right away.

The best fit for Watkins is swingman, where defense and rebounding are the main requirements.

Hannahs, Macon and Jones are three different kinds of shooting guards. Hannahs is the shoot-first type who can demoralize an opponent with flurries of points, not exactly defensive-minded. Macon is a well-rounded player who can defend, rebound, and score from anywhere. Jones is most dangerous going to the hole, as he has a strong mid-range game and also can take it straight to the rim. Jones seems to make outside shots when he needs to. He was known in high school as a physically intimidating player.

Arkansas does not have a true point guard on hand. Barford is a combo guard whose skills are between a 1 and a 2. He has good size and will dominate a lot of opponents, might have issues with really quick point guards (though he can overpower them on offense). Beard last season looked like a high school guard who had not developed the skills to fit into his college position.

If some of these players develop the skills to fit their positions, Arkansas could be much better in March vs. November.

This is about the most complete summary of our team that I have seen so far Biggus, good job. Just about a short scouting report.

UNCLE BACK

I think Thompson, Watkins and Beard will be the odd men out. They will play but not much.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on June 21, 2016, 02:57:27 pm
I think Thompson, Watkins and Beard will be the odd men out. They will play but not much.

pretty sure those guys are going to get a lot of minutes. we will be much improved if your scenario plays out though. would mean the new guys are killing it!

k.c.hawg

If Thompson improves as much this off season as he did last year I see him being 15-20 minutes a game. That is a big body, a proven rebounder and could keep Moses out of foul trouble. Experienced guards are going to play for CMA. I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed in your prediction. It doesn't mean that they will be top offensive performers but they will have a role.

I see much more competitive practices, competition for playing time and the ability to create various mismatches and avoid mismatches. 
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HoopS

No way Thompson goes backwards in PT.

labb

Funny how those that we have never seen play one minute of D1 basketball are going to beat our three players that have been through the wars. I hope it happens. If so, we will be very very good.

Big Nasty 34

Haha
They may all get quite a few starts knowing MA and how he handles veterans.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: labb on June 21, 2016, 05:13:16 pm
Funny how those that we have never seen play one minute of D1 basketball are going to beat our three players that have been through the wars. I hope it happens. If so, we will be very very good.

But, but, but Jimmy Whitt was our best guard before even stepping on campus!

TheRazorback500

Quote from: HoopS on June 21, 2016, 04:47:04 pm
No way Thompson goes backwards in PT.
I agree. This  could be a breakout year for him.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Biggus Piggus

The fifth player in that top five might well be Trey Thompson.
[CENSORED]!

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 23, 2016, 10:04:46 am

What I saw from him last year gave me real hope that if he improved this off season he could be an impact player for us. Don't know how much of a fudge the 6'9" is but if the 265 is accurate that is a guy that is hard to move when he establishes himself down low. He looked a lot more coordinated last year and could easily get 8-10 pts a game on garbage. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he was a 10 and 7 guy throughout the year.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

HoopS

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 23, 2016, 10:04:46 am
easily.

We talk about starters but who finishes games when they're on the line is more important to me.

Kingsley
Thompson

Hannahs
Barford

And fill in the blank depending on matchups and hot hands. That's my guess anyway.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on June 23, 2016, 10:41:03 am
What I saw from him last year gave me real hope that if he improved this off season he could be an impact player for us. Don't know how much of a fudge the 6'9" is but if the 265 is accurate that is a guy that is hard to move when he establishes himself down low. He looked a lot more coordinated last year and could easily get 8-10 pts a game on garbage. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he was a 10 and 7 guy throughout the year.

7 and 7 with solid D .. he's a pretty good passer .. would be awesome...

hawgrunner

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 17, 2016, 08:26:29 pm
Bailey and Hazen will play, we'll see less Beard and Watkins than you think as well.

Why less on the Beard...?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hawgrunner on June 24, 2016, 02:21:59 am
Why less on the Beard...?

because the 5 O'clock shadow can look pretty fashionable with the right accessories.

HoopS

Quote from: FineAsSwine on June 24, 2016, 10:39:40 am
because the 5 O'clock shadow can look pretty fashionable with the right accessories.
FACT

hawgrunner

Quote from: FineAsSwine on June 24, 2016, 10:39:40 am

;)

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HoopS on June 23, 2016, 11:00:24 am
easily.

We talk about starters but who finishes games when they're on the line is more important to me.

Kingsley
Thompson

Hannahs
Barford

And fill in the blank depending on matchups and hot hands. That's my guess anyway.

Do not sleep on Macon. He is the team's best all-around two guard.
[CENSORED]!

HoopS

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 24, 2016, 12:03:22 pm
Do not sleep on Macon. He is the team's best all-around two guard.
that wouldn't surprise me. I started to slot him in but want to see him in action. I know Hannahs can stroke it with anybody and I suspect he will be on the floor most games late. I wouldn't be opposed to having Macon, Barford and Hannahs out there with Thompson and Kingsley.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoopS on June 24, 2016, 02:20:49 pm
that wouldn't surprise me. I started to slot him in but want to see him in action. I know Hannahs can stroke it with anybody and I suspect he will be on the floor most games late. I wouldn't be opposed to having Macon, Barford and Hannahs out there with Thompson and Kingsley.

I can't see Thompson playing significant minutes next to Kingsley next year. Trey just could not keep up on the full court press playing the top the way Mike wants his 4's to be able to. Mike also likes his 4's to be able to stretch a defense with a long jump shot. Trey will be best suited backing up Kingsley. When the game slows down late in the 2nd half, I can see him then working with Kingsley.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 24, 2016, 02:41:34 pm
I can't see Thompson playing significant minutes next to Kingsley next year. Trey just could not keep up on the full court press playing the top the way Mike wants his 4's to be able to. Mike also likes his 4's to be able to stretch a defense with a long jump shot. Trey will be best suited backing up Kingsley. When the game slows down late in the 2nd half, I can see him then working with Kingsley.

I also expect we won't see the Thompson/Moses combo very often next year

HoopS

Why couldn't Trey play more of the 5 and Kingsley the 4?

HoopS

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 24, 2016, 02:41:34 pm
and that was what I was saying. Late in the game. Closing games out. I can totally see them together.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoopS on June 24, 2016, 03:12:22 pm
and that was what I was saying. Late in the game. Closing games out. I can totally see them together.

Except, that would put Kingsley and Thompson on the court as options to foul for the other team. Moses was 64% and Trey was 52%. It is probably more likely we go small at the end of games and get 4 guards out there with Moses than have Trey and Moses. Or maybe three guards with one of the 4's that is a good FT shooter.

HoopS

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 24, 2016, 03:15:54 pm
Except, that would put Kingsley and Thompson on the court as options to foul for the other team. Moses was 64% and Trey was 52%. It is probably more likely we go small at the end of games and get 4 guards out there with Moses than have Trey and Moses. Or maybe three guards with one of the 4's that is a good FT shooter.
i think it'll come down to matchups.

But also expect to see TT improve his FT%. Moses, unless he slows down and learns to focus on the rim earlier, and bend his knees, he will be erratic at best.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HoopS on June 24, 2016, 03:18:09 pm
i think it'll come down to matchups.

But also expect to see TT improve his FT%. Moses, unless he slows down and learns to focus on the rim earlier, and bend his knees, he will be erratic at best.
He was around 70% for most of the season, but he really tailed off at the end of the season.

HoopS

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 24, 2016, 03:19:33 pm
He was around 70% for most of the season, but he really tailed off at the end of the season.
He sure did. IMO, his approach will not serve him well in the longrun. He may put together some streaks and build his % up, but I believe he would serve himself well by reevaluating his approach.