Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bismack Biyombo

Started by Hawg Red, May 11, 2016, 08:16:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

If anyone has been watching this Heat/Raptors series, you seen Biyombo out there for Toronto. 6'9ish center out of the Congo, was a lottery pick for Charlotte a few years ago. This is the guy I look at in the NBA that shows me Moses has a placs in the league. I think Moses has more offensive skill, but Biyombo is thicker/stronger/more powerful. Both guys can disrupt on defense and block some shots but aren't necessarily great overall defenders. Both athletic and get up and down the court and finish around and above the rim. Moses has more touch, Biyombo has more power.

Biyombo is about to opt out and get paid (by that, I mean he will be making probably 10 mill per -- made under 3 mill this year in the first year after his rookie deal). Still think Moses' ceiling is late first/early second, but he can carve a niche without having to become a stretch 4. He can still make the undersized center thing work for him.

OnTheHillHogFan

I like the comparison. In today's NBA the fact that Moses is only 6'9 won't hurt him as much as it would've ten years ago. I hope he gains a little weight this offseason because he can get pushed around a little. But I do think Moses can play in the NBA and hopefully he gets drafted by a good organization.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Hogimus Prime

Theo Ratliff had a long NBA career with a game and body size similar to Kingsley

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on May 12, 2016, 12:04:40 am
Theo Ratliff had a long NBA career with a game and body size similar to Kingsley

He did but that was also in a very center-friendly era of the NBA. They don't even put center on the All-Star ballot anymore now.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 12, 2016, 08:32:22 am
He did but that was also in a very center-friendly era of the NBA. They don't even put center on the All-Star ballot anymore now.

True. Just saying if guys like Ratliff and Biyombo can have NBA careers Kingsley can too.

songofthesword

Biyombo was a top 10 pick. He is also  a freak of nature athletically. Then are both African but that's about where the comparison stops.

Boyomno had only played basketball for like 9 months and he was at the Nike high school vs. world decimating future nba players physically.  there are a handful of players on earth that have his size and athletic ability Kingsley is not one of them

songofthesword

He had a triple double...with blocks lol,  in the Nike hoop Summitt

https://youtu.be/Ntd4eRA-OEk

You guys really don't understand how skilled nba players are

Hawg Red

Quote from: songofthesword on May 18, 2016, 05:08:03 am
He had a triple double...with blocks lol,  in the Nike hoop Summitt

https://youtu.be/Ntd4eRA-OEk

You guys really don't understand how skilled nba players are

Skal Labissiere also dominated the Hoop Summit.

And it doesn't really land you telling anyone that they don't understand something when you made a fool of yourself in the R.J. Glasper and Barford/Macon threads.

Dominicanhog

I'm not suggesting Moses is like Hakeem Olajuwan, but when Hakeem enrolled at Houston he couldn't even dunk consistently... he blocked shots and rebounded.. he became one of the most dominating C/F's to ever play the game... those first few years, you would never have expected him to be the offensive weapon he became... players develop, their games change and they mature......

Moses improved as much as any player I've ever seen from one year to the next, if he continues to improve, there is no telling how good he can be.. time will tell... GHG...

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: songofthesword on May 18, 2016, 05:05:41 am
Biyombo was a top 10 pick. He is also  a freak of nature athletically. Then are both African but that's about where the comparison stops.

Boyomno had only played basketball for like 9 months and he was at the Nike high school vs. world decimating future nba players physically.  there are a handful of players on earth that have his size and athletic ability Kingsley is not one of them

Another comparison is they're both 6'9 and playing center.  Biyombo is a lot bulkier than Kingsley but I wouldn't doubt if Kingsley can jump as high and is as fast as biyombo.  I think Kingsley will get bigger this year and then watch out sec.

I think biyombo is a great pro comparison to Kingsley, can you think of a better one?

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 18, 2016, 09:16:24 am
Another comparison is they're both 6'9 and playing center.  Biyombo is a lot bulkier than Kingsley but I wouldn't doubt if Kingsley can jump as high and is as fast as biyombo.  I think Kingsley will get bigger this year and then watch out sec.

I think biyombo is a great pro comparison to Kingsley, can you think of a better one?

^^^

Very similar height and positional slotting, like you said. Biyombo is thicker, stronger and with a longer wing span. No one ever said these guys were long lost twins. Athletically, they are very similar. They use their athleticism very similarly around the basket, too. They both make a lot of awkward looking layups/putbacks. They both provide a shot-blocking presence without being particularly strong all-around defenders. They have similar motors. I don't get how this guy can watch both players and think there is no similarity outside of their continent of origin.

The two biggest differences in the two are Biyombo's strength/bulk advantage and Kingsley's ability to step out and hit an extended jumper. But, at their root, these two are very similar players.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Dominicanhog on May 18, 2016, 07:55:08 am
I'm not suggesting Moses is like Hakeem Olajuwan, but when Hakeem enrolled at Houston he couldn't even dunk consistently... he blocked shots and rebounded.. he became one of the most dominating C/F's to ever play the game... those first few years, you would never have expected him to be the offensive weapon he became... players develop, their games change and they mature......

Moses improved as much as any player I've ever seen from one year to the next, if he continues to improve, there is no telling how good he can be.. time will tell... GHG...

Olajuwan was pretty good offensively by the end of his soph season. I believe he ended up the MVP of the Final Four as a player on the losing team. Almost unheard of.

Never seen a more dominant college center. Keep in mind I wasn't around to see Lew Alcindor or Bill Walton.

But Hakeem was able to intimidate shooters all over the floor defensively as well as finish with authority offensively. I get your point though, in the NBA he maintained the level of development that he had shown in college and continued to add to his game well into his NBA career to become almost unstoppable offensively.

But he was improving exponentially it seemed while at the college level considering he had only played very little prior to college.

Jonteviosk

Kingsley is 6'10 not 6'9 if you geniuses are going to give facts then give them right please and for the record MK is every bit as athletic as freaken Bismack Biyombo,,, with a more refined offensive game ans superior defensively MK Was SEC defensive player of the year man you ppl reall don't know anything about basketball.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

yraciv

You guys are delusional on some of these comparison. First, Hakeem could barely dunk when he got to college? He averaged 8 a game as a FR and shot over 60%.  Like SOS pointed out Biyambo is an athletic freak and other than being the same size & height as Kingsley the comparisons stop there.  Biyombo is much longer, thicker, and much more explosive..  Not saying Kingsley isn't quick, but Biyombo plays at a different speed. He also doesn't look to score the same way Kingsley does.  Moses doesn't have the potential to get that quick. Sure there are other areas he can work on to refine his game and maybe be a serviceable big in the league 1 day, but Biyombo has gifts that can't be taught. Just look at the tapes, different players. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Jonteviosk on May 20, 2016, 06:22:36 pm
Kingsley is 6'10 not 6'9 if you geniuses are going to give facts then give them right please and for the record MK is every bit as athletic as freaken Bismack Biyombo,,, with a more refined offensive game ans superior defensively MK Was SEC defensive player of the year man you ppl reall don't know anything about basketball.

You said this in another thread and it's still just as WRONG.

Tyler Ulis was the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, while you're talking about getting facts straight.

http://kentucky.247sports.com/Article/Tyler-Ulis-wins-Player-of-Year-Jamal-Murray-1st-team-All-SEC-44148697

Hawg Red

Quote from: yraciv on May 20, 2016, 06:43:21 pm
You guys are delusional on some of these comparison. First, Hakeem could barely dunk when he got to college? He averaged 8 a game as a FR and shot over 60%.  Like SOS pointed out Biyambo is an athletic freak and other than being the same size & height as Kingsley the comparisons stop there.  Biyombo is much longer, thicker, and much more explosive..  Not saying Kingsley isn't quick, but Biyombo plays at a different speed. He also doesn't look to score the same way Kingsley does.  Moses doesn't have the potential to get that quick. Sure there are other areas he can work on to refine his game and maybe be a serviceable big in the league 1 day, but Biyombo has gifts that can't be taught. Just look at the tapes, different players.

I'm one of maybe 3 people in this forum that actually watch NBA basketball. I see Moses Kingsley when I watch Bismack Biyombo. No two players are the same, but those two have a lot of similarities.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Jonteviosk on May 20, 2016, 06:22:36 pm

The only way ill ever REALLY know if Moses is 6'9 or 6'10 is if I see him measured.  He might actually be 6'8 with no shoes

HardingHog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 20, 2016, 11:19:28 pm
The only way ill ever REALLY know if Moses is 6'9 or 6'10 is if I see him measured.  He might actually be 6'8 with no shoes

Luckily he won't be playing in the barefoot league

Hawg Red

May 21, 2016, 09:02:12 am #18 Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 10:14:17 am by Hawg Red
Quote from: HardingHog on May 21, 2016, 05:11:41 am
Luckily he won't be playing in the barefoot league

Moses measured 6'9 1/2 in shoes in 2012 before he arrived at Arkansas. If accurate, it is fair to list him at 6'10.

EDIT: It was at the LeBron and Amar'e Stoudemire camps that he was measured in 2012. He both players actually 6'9 1/2 in shoes (at last documented measure).

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Moses-Kingsley-7080/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bismack-Biyombo-5902/

The_Iceman

biyombo has a 7'6" wingspan. I wonder what Kingsley's is?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 22, 2016, 07:42:04 am
biyombo has a 7'6" wingspan. I wonder what Kingsley's is?

7'2"

rzrbackramsfan

That's a good reason for Kingsley to had come back, now he can work on his wingspan.

PonderinHog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 22, 2016, 04:04:56 pm
That's a good reason for Kingsley to had come back, now he can work on his wingspan.
He can work on it, but he'll never fly.

Kenny Buzzhog

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 20, 2016, 09:35:38 pm
I'm one of maybe 3 people in this forum that actually watch NBA basketball. I see Moses Kingsley when I watch Bismack Biyombo. No two players are the same, but those two have a lot of similarities.
I think that's a pretty good comparison. I'm not sure Moses has the level of athleticism as Biyombo but they are certainly similar. In this day and age, guys playing the 4/5 in the nba need to be able to stretch the defense (Moses can do this better than BB), defend the pick and roll (major importance), rebound and block shots. Moses would likely be solid in most if not all of those at the next level although he wouldn't necessarily excel at any of them.

Speaking of Biyombo, he made around 2.9 million this year I think. I'm sure he'll opt out this off season, how much do you think he gets paid? Although they're all important to their team, guys like Tristan Thompson, Hayward, and Reggie Jackson are proof that max deals get handed out a bit haphazardly these days. While I don't think he gets one of those, I do see a significant bump in pay.

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 23, 2016, 01:19:20 am
I think that's a pretty good comparison. I'm not sure Moses has the level of athleticism as Biyombo but they are certainly similar. In this day and age, guys playing the 4/5 in the nba need to be able to stretch the defense (Moses can do this better than BB), defend the pick and roll (major importance), rebound and block shots. Moses would likely be solid in most if not all of those at the next level although he wouldn't necessarily excel at any of them.

Speaking of Biyombo, he made around 2.9 million this year I think. I'm sure he'll opt out this off season, how much do you think he gets paid? Although they're all important to their team, guys like Tristan Thompson, Hayward, and Reggie Jackson are proof that max deals get handed out a bit haphazardly these days. While I don't think he gets one of those, I do see a significant bump in pay.

I think Biyombo will be in the 10-12 (hehe) million dollar range per year when he signs a new deal this summer. He definitely outperformed that 2.9 million dollar option, and did it at just the right time.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 23, 2016, 07:10:03 am
I think Biyombo will be in the 10-12 (hehe) million dollar range per year when he signs a new deal this summer. He definitely outperformed that 2.9 million dollar option, and did it at just the right time.
That's a Biggers bump than I expected...

Jonteviosk

I don't understand how any competent NBA executive could consider Skal Labissiere a high quality drapt pick. A 5star recruit who came in with UK having no true post options last year and he had every chance but he avg  6.6 pts and 3.1reb per game but hes ranked higher than Moses HA could you explain this to me...If UK had Moses last year they were probably a final 4 team again.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Jonteviosk

I say with series 2-2 Byombo should play the 4 with Jonas V seeing time at 5. Carol solid and an excellent and underrated back court Would give Toronto their best 5 against Cleveland. Bismach shoots FT well enough it could work with him and Jonas together on the court at same time I mean really Toronto has nothing else in the post lol.

songofthesword

It's a god awful comparison

songofthesword

May 24, 2016, 07:51:49 am #30 Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:02:55 am by songofthesword
It'd a god awful comparison

1. Biyombo is effectively 7'4 with his wingspan and has a 40 inch vertical. He's also 250.  He's a freak of nature

2. Kingsley has a 10 foot jumper something biyombo doesn't have

A better comparison would be the retired dale Davis or a poor man's Othello harrington. The best current nba comparison best case nene. Worst case a shittier versoon of guordi deing lol for the Timberwolves

songofthesword

Quote from: Jonteviosk on May 24, 2016, 03:09:12 am
I don't understand how any competent NBA executive could consider Skal Labissiere a high quality drapt pick. A 5star recruit who came in with UK having no true post options last year and he had every chance but he avg  6.6 pts and 3.1reb per game but hes ranked higher than Moses HA could you explain this to me...If UK had Moses last year they were probably a final 4 team again.
Russell WESTBROOK coulent beat out Darren collison, Sacramento Kings third string point guard at ucla. The third pick this year, Dragan bender, averaged 2 points and 1 rebound a game.  Production has little to do with where you are drafted

Skal has a mid range jumper that is virtually automatic. He's A High Floor guy. Aldo remember he hasn't playet organized ball for over a year before this year

At worst he's a guy you can run pick and pops with all day long and you can't double the ball handler because Skal is gonna make that 15 jumper 8 out of 10 times. Thats why he's gonna get drafted

Hawg Red

Quote from: songofthesword on May 24, 2016, 07:51:49 am
It'd a god awful comparison

1. Biyombo is effectively 7'4 with his wingspan and has a 40 inch vertical. He's also 250.  He's a freak of nature

2. Kingsley has a 10 foot jumper something biyombo doesn't have

A better comparison would be the retired dale Davis or a poor man's Othello harrington. The best current nba comparison best case nene. Worst case a shittier versoon of guordi deing lol for the Timberwolves

You do know that players can be similar without having the exact same measurables, right? A player comparison is not a same of direct comparison in most cases. It's more of a "most closely resembles" comparison. It's really hard to find two players that are the exact same.

yraciv

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 24, 2016, 11:02:17 am
You do know that players can be similar without having the exact same measurables, right? A player comparison is not a same of direct comparison in most cases. It's more of a "most closely resembles" comparison. It's really hard to find two players that are the exact same.

The truth is there isn't really a good comparison in today's NBA.  I can see why you said Biyombo, but Kingsley isn't a physical freak. They are both from Africa, similar size and have a knack for blocking shots, so yes parts of their game are similar.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 25, 2016, 07:44:22 pm
https://twitter.com/seandeveney/status/735623014734135296
Wow, good for him. He has worked his tail off to earn that huge pay increase. I imagine the Raptors can't afford to keep him given the contracts of Lowry, Derozan (if he re-signs), Carroll and Valanciunas. Any guess as to a favorite? It's hard for me to think of one as he would fit in mostly everywhere.

rzrbackramsfan

OnTheHillHogFan

It's crazy that he is only 24 and the Hornets just let him go for nothing. I think he only made around 3.5 million this year.
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

songofthesword

I think a good comparison is whiteside. Athletic, slider frame, defensive minded but one one d is neither strength both excEl in weak side defense

Neither are great offensive players but efficent

latrops

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 25, 2016, 09:29:53 pm
Wow, good for him. He has worked his tail off to earn that huge pay increase. I imagine the Raptors can't afford to keep him given the contracts of Lowry, Derozan (if he re-signs), Carroll and Valanciunas. Any guess as to a favorite? It's hard for me to think of one as he would fit in mostly everywhere.

Meh, I wouldn't be in any rush to give him over 15m per year.  He's a nice player, a bit of a revelation this postseason, but he is still offensively limited and, while his size is adequate for the position, he is not physically dominant.  Someone will overpay for a nice postseason run and wind up with a solid player that doesn't truly make a huge difference.

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 25, 2016, 09:29:53 pm

Dallas and LAL are probably the two most obvious teams with money (relative, since most teams will have money to spend with the cap raising) that need a center. Houston could get in that mix but I think they are putting all of their eggs in the Al Horford basket and will go with Capela as their center. If Atlanta loses Horford, they would look at add a big. Ironically enough, Charlotte will be in the market for a big man as well. These are the more obvious teams that will be looking for a center or big man. Where he falls in the unrestricted free agent hierarchy will be interesting. I think Whiteside will be the top guy for most buying teams and then Horford (if he's looked as a center) and then Dwight Howard. But I could see some teams favoring Biyombo to Howard.

Hawg Red

Quote from: latrops on May 26, 2016, 05:42:22 am
Meh, I wouldn't be in any rush to give him over 15m per year.  He's a nice player, a bit of a revelation this postseason, but he is still offensively limited and, while his size is adequate for the position, he is not physically dominant.  Someone will overpay for a nice postseason run and wind up with a solid player that doesn't truly make a huge difference.

He's come on at the perfect time and will take advantage of the market. I agree that he's not really a true starting caliber center. He's a top reserve/sometime-starter. But big men have been getting overpaid since the dawn of time, so it is what it is.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: songofthesword on May 26, 2016, 05:31:45 am
I think a good comparison is whiteside. Athletic, slider frame, defensive minded but one one d is neither strength both excEl in weak side defense

Neither are great offensive players but efficent
Main difference is that Whiteside is about 4 inches taller