Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Alumni - The Basketball Tournament

Started by yraciv, April 08, 2016, 03:59:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

April 08, 2016, 03:59:08 pm Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:26:53 pm by yraciv
So every summer, there is an open basketball tournament that is growing in popularity.  It is in it's third year, and you can see former NBA players, college stars, and rec league superstars all dual it out against each other for the winning prize of a million dollars.  It's actually starting to get ESPN coverage.  I watched some games last year with Syracuse and Notre Dame alums that had guys like Ben Hansbrough, Hakim Warrick, Eric Devendorf, and even Olu  Famutimi was playing with Syracuse. 

It looks like Nick Mason and Ricky Scott are putting together a team, and only the teams that get the most votes are invited to the single elimination bracket style tournament this summer.  So if you would register and vote for them here:  https://www.thetournament.com/teams/40-minutes-hell-arkansas-alumni?type=fan&f=570819f3a290d862582193

Here's to hoping we can root on a Razorback alumni team in this tournament next year! 

And if you would vote for these guys as well.  More Arkansas guys, but you probably aren't as familiar with some of them.They are a very good semi pro group of players that most went to college around the state.
https://www.thetournament.com/teams/arkansas-ebl-finest?type=fan&f=570819f3a290d862582193

yraciv

Knowing our captains, I'd put together a team that looks something like this.  You aren't probably getting NBA players, but it's very possible D League or guys from overseas would play.
PG BJ Young
SG Drake Wade
SF Ricky Scott
PF Marshawn Powelll
C Michael Washington

PG: Nick Mason
SG Kikko Haydar
G Marcus Britt
F Charles Thomas
PF Michael Sanchez

Maybe a Fred Gulley, Alandise Harris, orRashad Madden. Some of the guys that are still pros like Madden, Powell, and Wade may have conflicts.  Awfully weak on posts, but hell maybe they pull Steven Hill or Vincent Hunter into the picture. Interesting to think about.

Porked Tongue

As soon as I see the name Nick Mason, I'm disinterested.

yraciv

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 08, 2016, 08:46:29 pm
As soon as I see the name Nick Mason, I'm disinterested.

Well that is too bad for you because he was on our team for awhile and all our former players are buddies with him. This is a fun event with some good basketball to follow. Often when something like this goes down, the walkon is the rally guy in recruiting players. Doesn't mean he'll see the court in this much more than he did with us.

I really don't get the disdain for him personally.  I went to school with him and he is a nice enough guy from what I remember So he had 1 brush up with the law in school, doesn't have the best sports talk show, and never really contributed to the basketball team as expected. He graduated, and is doing what he loves talking sports and teaching kids basketball.  I just don't get how he rubs people the wrong way and I know you aren't alone in that thought. Might be cause I don't listen to  his show.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: yraciv on April 08, 2016, 09:11:12 pm
Well that is too bad for you because he was on our team for awhile and all our former players are buddies with him. This is a fun event with some good basketball to follow. Often when something like this goes down, the walkon is the rally guy in recruiting players. Doesn't mean he'll see the court in this much more than he did with us.

I really don't get the disdain for him personally.  I went to school with him and he is a nice enough guy from what I remember So he had 1 brush up with the law in school, doesn't have the best sports talk show, and never really contributed to the basketball team as expected. He graduated, and is doing what he loves talking sports and teaching kids basketball.  I just don't get how he rubs people the wrong way and I know you aren't alone in that thought. Might be cause I don't listen to  his show.
Isn't he part of Team Monk and that bunch?

ShadowHawg

yraciv

Roster has been updated and it has some guys that would be fun to watch play again.  The team right now stands at:
Madden, Harris, Wade, Fortson, Scott, Farmer, and Mason.  Obviously still need to add a post, but lets give them some more votes and get them in there. Say what you will about Mason, but I like all those other guys and appreciate them continuing to rep our program!

jry04

Very little chance of advancing, but would be cool to see them play again.

ricepig

Quote from: yraciv on April 08, 2016, 09:11:12 pm

Contribute to the team as expected?? He was a walk on, he contributed what anyone who saw him play in high school thought he would do. I don't think he even started in high school.

yraciv

Quote from: ricepig on May 03, 2016, 05:18:38 pm
Contribute to the team as expected?? He was a walk on, he contributed what anyone who saw him play in high school thought he would do. I don't think he even started in high school.

I should have had added a comma. No he wasn't supposed to contribute.

Big Nasty 34

Need ole Dionisio Gomez. Isn't he still playing somewhere? Lol

yraciv

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 03, 2016, 10:11:51 pm
Need ole Dionisio Gomez. Isn't he still playing somewhere? Lol

Dionisio called it a career a couple years ago I believe. He had a pretty productive career in Japan.

yraciv

A couple interesting tidbits. Both teams are now eligible for the tournament and have gained quite a few votes, but still need a lot of support to get voted in.  The other Arkansas team is on the board, while the Hogs are well behind in  votes.  And Vincent Hunter joined up with the other Arkansas team.

ShadowHawg

yraciv

yraciv

Amazed the hate for Nick Mason outweighs the love for former Hogs that actually contributed. Again Nick Mason may be on the bench, but he won't be playing in this deal either. Very interesting seeing Vincent Hunter join up with the smaller school Arkansas guys, but those guys are the more LR based team.

3kgthog

Probably a Team Monk sponsorship opportunity. No thanks. Good luck to them, though.

TrueBlue

Nick Mason is definitely Team Monk.

Just because you played for Arkansas doesn't give you a free pass when you burn bridges.

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2015/7/29/9039041/malik-monk-profile-recuiting

Last fall Marcus and his friend Nick Mason, a former sports talk show host at Hog Sports Radio, formed the Monk Promotional & Management Group, LLC, a full-service marketing and advertising agency with expanding influence in the northwest Arkansas sports scene.

This year, Marcus and Mason have helped find nationally ranked opponents featuring elite recruits for Bentonville's non-conference season.

yraciv

So the teams in the tournament have been announced, and you will be pleased to know Nick Mason & Company did not get in.  On the other hand, the Hogs will still be represented in the South Region.
https://www.thetournament.com/news/60-teams-accepted-tbt-2016

ARKANSAS (EBL) FINEST - Vincent Hunter teams up with the small school guys in state
http://thetournament.com/teams/arkansas-ebl-finest

Kings of the South - Charles Thomas teams up with a mixed bag team. Earl Barron, Derrick Byars, & Travis Leslie are some names you might be familiar with.
http://thetournament.com/teams/kings-south

TMD - BJ Young, Marshawn Powell, and Marshall Henderson along with some other MS guys. Should be an interesting squad.
http://thetournament.com/teams/tmd

k.c.hawg

Quote from: yraciv on June 24, 2016, 11:32:17 am
So the teams in the tournament have been announced, and you will be pleased to know Nick Mason & Company did not get in.  On the other hand, the Hogs will still be represented in the South Region.
https://www.thetournament.com/news/60-teams-accepted-tbt-2016

ARKANSAS (EBL) FINEST - Vincent Hunter teams up with the small school guys in state
http://thetournament.com/teams/arkansas-ebl-finest

Kings of the South - Charles Thomas teams up with a mixed bag team. Earl Barron, Derrick Byars, & Travis Leslie are some names you might be familiar with.
http://thetournament.com/teams/kings-south

TMD - BJ Young, Marshawn Powell, and Marshall Henderson along with some other MS guys. Should be an interesting squad.
http://thetournament.com/teams/tmd

Wouldn't surprise me if the team with BJ, Powell and Henderson, Chris Warren.....makes some noise. Not a bad line up if they go to win $$$ and not let egos run wild.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

yraciv

Quote from: k.c.hawg on June 24, 2016, 11:54:39 am
Wouldn't surprise me if the team with BJ, Powell and Henderson, Chris Warren.....makes some noise. Not a bad line up if they go to win $$$ and not let egos run wild.

Tough to see egos not getting in the way or Marshall Hendersoon shooting them in and out of games.  Should have a good enough team to win a game or two, but they've got some competition Couple other teams in that region to watch:
Team BDB led by Josh Selby & Lacedarius Dunn,
Overseas Elite - Defending champs
Ram Nation - VCU Alumni team led by former NBA player Larry Sanders who just retired young cause he was tired of the grind
Bluff City Blues - Memphis alums and Terrico White
Sevin City Grain - Ricardo Ratliffe & Steven Pledger

Very curious to see  how Vincent Hunter does with those Semi-Pro guys that play together all the time.  Ryan Barnes is one of the best dunkers I've ever seen come out of Arkansas.

rzrbackramsfan

Porked Tongue

I think Lanny is getting a team together from the moderation staff and some posters.

yraciv

Quote from: yraciv on June 24, 2016, 05:23:32 pm
Tough to see egos not getting in the way or Marshall Hendersoon shooting them in and out of games.  Should have a good enough team to win a game or two, but they've got some competition Couple

So BJ, who is going by Bob now, led his team to a Sweet 16 run only to see Marshall Henderson implode again and shoot them out of a game.  Seriously! Henderson went 1/9 from field with late technical. Of course he didn't have any assists! BJ scored 26 pts and had 6 reb.  He had 28 and 4 in rd 2 and 27 & 7 in round 1. BJ also shot over 50% from the field for the tournament.  The guy has still got it, but could have really used his big guy Marshawn.  I'm sure due to other basketball obligations, Powell didn't decide to play.

yraciv

Tune into ESPN and ESPN 2 this weekend, and you'll see some familiar faces. Right now I'm watching some Syracuse alum take on Pitt guys.