Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitness Journey

Started by Junkyard Hog, February 06, 2015, 09:46:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkyard Hog

I am a 6'2" 39 year old male.  I have struggled with weight problems since I got out of college in 1998.  I have been on the Atkins roller coaster several times (losing 40-50lbs then gaining them back, sometimes with a little extra).

Almost two years ago I weighed 295 and decided it was time once and for all to get into better shape for myself and my family (most importantly my two little boys).  My goal was to get back to 220, the weight I was when I got married 15 years ago.

I began by walking on the treadmill every morning.  I would set my alarm at 4:45 am and watch a movie on the treadmill before work.  Eventually I began walking during my lunch hour as well.  As my weight loss began to stall, I started incorporating some running.  Not long after that I began running 10-15 miles a day.  I would run as much as 60 miles in a week.  My weight was down to 240 at this point.

After several months of that my weight loss stalled again.  For several months I didn't lose a pound (I even gained a few) even though I was not overeating and I was running a huge amount.  I believe I was actually eating too little and running too much.

My pcp did a huge blood panel on me that included just about everything you could think of and also sent the information to a nutritionist.  She recommended I go on the Paleo diet.  I also decided I might need to change up my exercise regimen.

In July of 2014 I weighed 253 and I began the Paleo diet and started doing Insanity.  The combination of diet and high intensity exercise really helped me.  I have since done P90X, and am currently doing a combination of P90X3 and Insanity again.

My weight this morning is 220! But weight is really on part of the story.  I had to get my wedding ring resized because it kept falling off my finger!  I'm in much better shape than I was when I got married.

The only bad news is now that I'm at my goal, I still think I could lose another 20lbs of fat.  When I get done with the current exercise regimen in March, I'm going to begin Body Beast and see where that takes me.

Thanks for listening! Just wanted to share my journey and new goals!

clutch

Sounds like you are getting to the point where you should concentrate less on the scale and just monitor by body changes at this point. Keep up the good work!

Guinness Snout

I'm with Clutch.  Great job man.  3yrs ago I was the same weight.  Today about 245.  Been as low as 218 but wife was in hospital and I ate terrible for a month or more.  Now I'm back on track.  Keep up the good work.

Junkyard Hog

Thanks guys, and you're right.  The scale does help me stay on my diet though. If I go off course for a weekend the scale reflects that and encourages me to eat right!

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Junkyard Hog

Polecat

Nice work dude. I'm going to have to get into more cardio as well. Starting to see some unwanted fat on my belly and love handles.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Hogsmo Kramer

Just remember fat loss is about a good diet and inefficiency in your training.

I know that's counter intuitive but by inefficiency I mean you want to be inefficient at what you're doing. Once you've become efficient at it that means you've adapted and any changes or improvements will slow down or cease all together so you'll need to change the program or tweak it to become "inefficient" again.

Continue to challenge yourself and once something becomes easy find a way to make it hard again that way you continue to push your body to adapt.

Training is merely just forced adaptation anyway.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

hawgrunner

Junkyard Hog

Rooka

Great story! Congrats!

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 22, 2015, 11:50:31 am
Just remember fat loss is about a good diet and inefficiency in your training.

I know that's counter intuitive but by inefficiency I mean you want to be inefficient at what you're doing. Once you've become efficient at it that means you've adapted and any changes or improvements will slow down or cease all together so you'll need to change the program or tweak it to become "inefficient" again.

Continue to challenge yourself and once something becomes easy find a way to make it hard again that way you continue to push your body to adapt.

Training is merely just forced adaptation anyway.
This is some great advice.