Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McFadden having a big day

Started by Hook 'em Hogs, October 25, 2015, 05:58:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hook 'em Hogs

No one will see this in the NFL forum, but with a little over 10 minutes in the 4th, McFadden has 24 carries for 120 yards, a TD, and 10 yards receiving. Always good to see him lighting it up.

reddogjcss

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

gmarv

also had a 30 yd td pass called back because of a penalty.great to see dmac do well.

husker71

^^   penalty that no one except that one official saw   

The Slop Nazi

He has also blocked pretty well.  Had a monster block on a blitzing linebacker in the 2nd qtr.

Tejano Jawg

150+. I was listening on the radio during my drive back to D from NWA. Just about every time he touched the ball...automatic 5-6 yards. When he got 2 or 3, the broadcasters would say "how did he get those 2 or 3?" Big time game.

It's a shame his effort was wasted today.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Hook 'em Hogs

He played really well. Dallas was succesful running the ball, but no one ran it like he did. He was hitting the hole hard and finding seams very well.

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm not sure anyone in the history of the NFL has been hurt more by his draft circumstances than DMac.  I'll never forget how my heart sank when Oakland picked him.  He'd have been so much better off to go lower in the first round to a good team with a functional owner, administration and coaching staff.  Five years later, he WOULD have been drafted lower because by then NFL teams had decided that RBs, no matter how good, were more or less interchangeable and aren't worth the high pick. 

I agree; he looked like the old DMac today.  If he can just stay healty and hang on with Dallas, he could give them 2-3 more good years.  Staying healthy is the key, obviously.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hawginbigd1

Good to see him get a real opportunity! Much like auburn, cowboys receivers lost this game! The pathetic penalty call was pretty big for a struggling team!

hoglady

His big mistake was resigning with Oakland.
Should have taken less and signed with a better team.

He looked fantastic today.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

passinghog

He should be the starter. Better blocker, good receiver, stronger, got stronger as the game worn on. Randle is a change of pace, backup type of running back.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on October 25, 2015, 07:45:12 pm
150+. I was listening on the radio during my drive back to D from NWA. Just about every time he touched the ball...automatic 5-6 yards. When he got 2 or 3, the broadcasters would say "how did he get those 2 or 3?" Big time game.

It's a shame his effort was wasted today.

His efforts have been wasted since the day he was drafted.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Woopig69

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 25, 2015, 08:32:42 pm
Good to see him get a real opportunity! Much like auburn, cowboys receivers lost this game! The pathetic penalty call was pretty big for a struggling team!
nice cheap shot you threw in there.

Tejano Jawg

Just watched the Cowboys post-game show. He was the first player interviewed by Brad Sham and Babe Laufenberg. They were very high on him today, as were they during the entire broadcast.

Babe thinks he'll be the man next week vs Seattle.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

WizardofhOgZ

Let me start by saying that I've been a Cowboy fan for over 50 years - I go back to the Eddie LeBaron days at QB, before they had ever played a single playoff game.  The other side of that is that I'm not nearly as invested in them as I am any Razorback team.  So, while I like to see them win, pull for them and watch every game, I'm a lot more objective (emotionally removed) from them.

Living in Dallas, I've been trying to tell the (mostly) moronic Cowboy fans that they are dead wrong about this Murray thing. Just 15 months ago, Murray was just another NFL back, with a career most notable for his inability to stay healthy and not much else. NO-ONE saw him having the type year he had last season, but he hit the "perfect storm" of playing with Romo, Dez, Whitten and that suddenly dominant offensive line....right place, right time.

No one EVER said he was more physically gifted that DMac. And, as I mentioned, his NFL career was as checkered with injuries and missed games as McFadden's. But these igmos....and I ABSOLUTELY include the local Cowboy media...acted as if DMac was some spare and Murray was a Hall of Famer. I told them if McFadden ever got a long term look (and, yes, stayed healthy), they'd forget about losing Murray.  Murray's OK - but nothing special.  For fans and media to act as if he's several levels above McFadden is ridiculous.

Just imagine what McFadden might be able to do with Romo and Dez on the field?  I hope we get to find out soon.

EastexHawg

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on October 26, 2015, 10:53:18 am
Let me start by saying that I've been a Cowboy fan for over 50 years - I go back to the Eddie LeBaron days at QB, before they had ever played a single playoff game.  The other side of that is that I'm not nearly as invested in them as I am any Razorback team.  So, while I like to see them win, pull for them and watch every game, I'm a lot more objective (emotionally removed) from them.

Living in Dallas, I've been trying to tell the (mostly) moronic Cowboy fans that they are dead wrong about this Murray thing. Just 15 months ago, Murray was just another NFL back, with a career most notable for his inability to stay healthy and not much else. NO-ONE saw him having the type year he had last season, but he hit the "perfect storm" of playing with Romo, Dez, Whitten and that suddenly dominant offensive line....right place, right time.

No one EVER said he was more physically gifted that DMac. And, as I mentioned, his NFL career was as checkered with injuries and missed games as McFadden's. But these igmos....and I ABSOLUTELY include the local Cowboy media...acted as if DMac was some spare and Murray was a Hall of Famer. I told them if McFadden ever got a long term look (and, yes, stayed healthy), they'd forget about losing Murray.  Murray's OK - but nothing special.  For fans and media to act as if he's several levels above McFadden is ridiculous.

Just imagine what McFadden might be able to do with Romo and Dez on the field?  I hope we get to find out soon.

While you're not wrong in your analysis, let's remember that Murray ran for something like 1,900 yards behind the same line that McFadden ran behind yesterday.  When Murray did it, and led the entire NFL by something like 400-500 yards, the story on this board was that the offensive line was so great any good back could have a big year behind it.  Now, the narrative is turning into Darren putting forth a Herculean effort to gain 150 yards.

The Cowboys as a team averaged 5.7 per carry yesterday.  Randle only carried twice but averaged 12 per attempt.  Going back to last year, Murray gained a total of 250 yards in two games against the Giants.  The Cowboys haven't exactly had a hard time running on New York lately.

I agree that Darren had a very good game and may well get the most carries going forward...if he can stay healthy.

The Cowboys will be 2-7, maybe 3-6 if they can beat Tampa Bay, and out of the race by the time Romo comes back.  All the "I wish we had another QB besides Romo" folks are getting their wish and finding out what it would be like without everyone's favorite whipping boy.

I knew the season was over as soon as he went down.

Dr. Starcs

So easttex, dropping Murray ended up working ok this year right?  Murray wouldn't have led Dallas to anymore victories without romo and dez than anyone else could have. And Jerry saved $ by letting him go lol

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 26, 2015, 03:02:05 pm
While you're not wrong in your analysis, let's remember that Murray ran for something like 1,900 yards behind the same line that McFadden ran behind yesterday.  When Murray did it, and led the entire NFL by something like 400-500 yards, the story on this board was that the offensive line was so great any good back could have a big year behind it.  Now, the narrative is turning into Darren putting forth a Herculean effort to gain 150 yards.

The Cowboys as a team averaged 5.7 per carry yesterday.  Randle only carried twice but averaged 12 per attempt.  Going back to last year, Murray gained a total of 250 yards in two games against the Giants.  The Cowboys haven't exactly had a hard time running on New York lately.

I agree that Darren had a very good game and may well get the most carries going forward...if he can stay healthy.

The Cowboys will be 2-7, maybe 3-6 if they can beat Tampa Bay, and out of the race by the time Romo comes back.  All the "I wish we had another QB besides Romo" folks are getting their wish and finding out what it would be like without everyone's favorite whipping boy.

I knew the season was over as soon as he went down.

Yes, but let's also remember that:

(1) Murray started every game last season, starting at game #1.  Plus, it was his second year starting with essentially the same personnel around him, enabling him to be completely comfortable with them, and they with him. 

(2) Meanwhile, yesterday was DMac's FIRST start with Dallas, and he played without Romo and Dez . . . a significantly short-handed situation in comparison with what Murray enjoyed.  It would not be surprising to see him develop better chemistry (and, hence, results) with the O line the more he plays behind them.

Also, I believe everyone has acknowledged and discussed that - for whatever reason - the Dallas O line has woefully under-performed so far this season (kind of reminds me of Arkansas' vaunted O line).  Who knows why?  But so far, 2014 O line > 2015 O line.  Anyone watching the games can see that there just have not been the running lanes that there were last year.

By the way, DMac's performance as a starter yesterday was pretty consistent with (a little better than, actually) what Murray did last year (vs. the Giants), when he had ALL of Dallas' weapons playing with him.  Which again confirms my point . . . they are basically similar backs.  It will be hard to judge the next month, because I expect more and more opponents to target McFadden with the limited passing weapons the Cowboys currently have.

Finally, there is the undeniable fact (historically), that someone who carries the ball as much as Murray did last season NEVER had a season remotely close to that again.  NEVER.  So . . . who is the better bet going forward?

I just find it interesting that when comparing the two, it's "common knowledge" that Murray is clearly superior to DMac, when there's not a lot of substance to the claim, once you really look at their careers, stats, combine numbers, etc.   They are basically two guys of about the same age, about the same size, about the same speed, about the same athletic ability, and about the same "fragility/durability" . . . yet, because of the Dallas propaganda machine, "everyone" thinks Murray is far better.

Dr. Starcs

Will be interesting to see dmac with romo and dez on the field. My guess is that o-line will look just as good.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on October 26, 2015, 05:14:31 pm

Finally, there is the undeniable fact (historically), that someone who carries the ball as much as Murray did last season NEVER had a season remotely close to that again.  NEVER.  So . . . who is the better bet going forward?

I'm with you Wiz, but, for the sake of being a contrarian, how about Jim Brown?  He only played 12 game seasons but he was a workhorse every single year and his consistency was pretty much unmatched.  Then again, he's Jim Freakin' Brown so I'm not sure any arguments are valid when including him.

By the way, I think what makes DMac's performance yesterday even more amazing, when compared to Murray's year last year, is that the Weeden/Cassel duo (otherwise known as the QB Pu Pu Platter) scares no one, meaning defenses are really only worrying about the run and loading the box. 
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

October 26, 2015, 09:12:58 pm #22 Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:43:22 pm by EastexHawg
McFadden came into the NFL in 2008. In 89 games he has run for 4,500 yards.  Murray entered the league in 2011 and in 59 games has gained 4,800 yards.  McFadden...4.1 per attempt.  Murray...4.7.

Let's be honest.  There is NO ONE in the league who would take Darren over Murray.  That's why Murray is guaranteed $9 million this year and $7 million next season, while Darren was only guaranteed $200,000.

Darren had a great game yesterday, but Murray put up one of the top 20 seasons in NFL history.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 26, 2015, 05:55:31 pm
By the way, I think what makes DMac's performance yesterday even more amazing, when compared to Murray's year last year, is that the Weeden/Cassel duo (otherwise known as the QB Pu Pu Platter) scares no one, meaning defenses are really only worrying about the run and loading the box.

Fully agree...if you'll take another look, you'll see that I've made that point several times in this thread...

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on October 26, 2015, 10:10:13 pm
Fully agree...if you'll take another look, you'll see that I've made that point several times in this thread...

That would require effort on my part.  I'll pass.   

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 26, 2015, 09:12:58 pm
McFadden came into the NFL in 2008. In 89 games he has run for 4,500 yards.  Murray entered the league in 2011 and in 59 games has gained 4,800 yards.  McFadden...4.1 per attempt.  Murray...4.7.

Let's be honest.  There is NO ONE in the league who would take Darren over Murray.  That's why Murray is guaranteed $9 million this year and $7 million next season, while Darren was only guaranteed $200,000.

Darren had a great game yesterday, but Murray put up one of the top 20 seasons in NFL history.

"Fun with stats"... One played his entire career with a sorry Oakland team with literally a new QB and different offensive coordinator EVERY season, plus a horrendous offensive line...one played his whole career with the same head coach/offensive scheme and a Pro Bowl level QB ( and TE...and WR) every season...that is more like beach balls to golf balls than oranges to apples.

And...NFL front offices make egregious talent efforts every draft and off-season...ALL that matters is on the field productivity from this time forward...based on watching both their entire careers, I judge it too close to call...I wouldn't be surprised to see either one have the better career totals 5 years from now...we'll see...won't we?

Tejano Jawg

The Murray vs (anyone) topic is a good one. If I get motivated, I'll dig up the numbers of the last season Felix played for the Cowboys. He and Murray's numbers were very similar...not what you'd expect. I'm wondering if last year was the perfect cosmic alignment—an anomaly—Murray totally meshing with the Cowboys offense and the o-line. And—just as important—a healthy Romo and Dez.

Back to McFadden...all day today on the sports radio stations, everyone was saying DMC was awesome yesterday. The best we've seen this year. (With the caveat of 'will he last?') Everyone thinks, without hesitation, that he should start next week and be the feature back. What Jason G thinks, guess we'll see.

Dr. Starcs

I truly believe Jerry knew he wasn't gonna pay Murray and so he rode that horse as far as he could. Why else would Murray have set a record for number or carries in a season. It was also the first time Murray had actually played an entire season.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on October 27, 2015, 09:44:07 pm
The Murray vs (anyone) topic is a good one. If I get motivated, I'll dig up the numbers of the last season Felix played for the Cowboys. He and Murray's numbers were very similar...not what you'd expect. I'm wondering if last year was the perfect cosmic alignment—an anomaly—Murray totally meshing with the Cowboys offense and the o-line. And—just as important—a healthy Romo and Dez.

I also thought Felix was pretty much the same back as Murray - Felix also happened to have some untilmely injuries that allowed Murray to play more just as the O line was finally starting to come together.  Folks forget how mediocre the Dallas O line was at the time Felix joined them.  It is only in the last 2-3 years that they have emerged - ironically, right at the time Murray settled in as starter.

I have nothing against Murray; I'm just tired of people anointing him as a Hall of Fame back when - really - he's just another "good" runner who fell into the right place at the right time.

By the way, IIRC, I did look into their (Murray and Felix) numbers the year that Felix started as the #1, but got injured and then Murray took over.  Murray averaged close to a yard more per carry, I believe.  BUT, most of that can be traced back to a 90+ yard run Murray had either the same game Felix got injured, or the next week (when Murray started in place of an injured Felix).  There was a hole big enough that all Murray had to do was sprint straight ahead.  There is NO DOUBT that Felix, or any one of 40 other NFL running backs make the same play.

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on October 27, 2015, 09:44:07 pm
Back to McFadden...all day today on the sports radio stations, everyone was saying DMC was awesome yesterday. The best we've seen this year. (With the caveat of 'will he last?') Everyone thinks, without hesitation, that he should start next week and be the feature back. What Jason G thinks, guess we'll see.

Looks like he will be starting.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/10/27/mcfadden-feeling-good-after-his-largest-rushing-workload-nearly-3-years

EastexHawg

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on October 28, 2015, 11:01:38 am
I also thought Felix was pretty much the same back as Murray - Felix also happened to have some untilmely injuries that allowed Murray to play more just as the O line was finally starting to come together.

Seriously?  Do you watch the Cowboys regularly?  Felix was decent for the first year or so.  After that, he was tentative...and after that, he was both fat and tentative.  Every time I watched the Cowboys play during his last year or two I wondered why he still had a job.

Murray ran for 253 yards and broke Emmitt Smith's Cowboys single game record against the Rams in 2011.  Was anyone claiming the Cowboys had one of the great lines in history back then?

Felix had a total of four 100 yard days in 80 regular season games for his career.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 28, 2015, 01:35:08 pm
Seriously?  Do you watch the Cowboys regularly?  Felix was decent for the first year or so.  After that, he was tentative...and after that, he was both fat and tentative.  Every time I watched the Cowboys play during his last year or two I wondered why he still had a job.

Murray ran for 253 yards and broke Emmitt Smith's Cowboys single game record against the Rams in 2011.  Was anyone claiming the Cowboys had one of the great lines in history back then?

Felix had a total of four 100 yard days in 80 regular season games for his career.

My point was that, at the time Murray came into the League, they were virtually the same.  I agree that, for whatever reason, Felix lost his conditioning/skills shortly thereafter.  But I stand behind my comment that in the Ram game, had Felix been playing instead of Murray (he was injured the week before, I think) he likely would have had similar results (the Cowboy line wasn't then what it is now, but on that day they were creating HUGE holes).  And Felix, as that point, was still lethal in a broken field situation.  That was always his strength.