Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mallett

Started by island hog, October 25, 2015, 04:39:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

maxre567

Quote from: DOGALUM on October 26, 2015, 11:46:17 am
This is all on Mallett.   O'Brien seems like a dick to me....but so are many NFL/college/any level/any sport coaches.  Time for Ryan to do one of three things.  1. Grow the hell up and act like a leader......let the chips fall where they may.  2.  Keep acting like an entitled bitch and keep getting the results he's been getting.  3.  Get out of the league all together and find out that life in the real world isn't "fair" either. 

I'm frankly tired of hearing about his problems.  Do something about it or don't.

Yup, this unfortunately is the gospel truth of the matter.  I know some people are not going to like Bill O'Brien for advocating this, and frankly I don't even think he's a good coach.  But let's remember something.  When Mallett was drafted by the Patriots into the Brady system, O'Brien was the guy who coached him up in it, he had his eye on him, and really Mallett had him to thank for the opportunity to start when he did.

And hey I thought after he made his first start and won as a Texan that he had a real chance to do it big in that league, but he didn't progress into this year at the rate that I think he should've.  Some of the Texans problems are to blame on Rick Smith the GM for throwing Andre Johnson out and giving a bunch of scrub receivers opposite Hopkins, but this particular incident was bad on Mallett's part, and look when a team is struggling like that, what kind of message would it be sending to them to just let the tardiness slide?  Plus let's not forget Bill O'Brien has big guy superiors keeping an eye on what he's doing and holding him accountable too.

I loved the years of excitement Mallett brought us in Fayetteville, I'd still love for him to get one more crack at it in the pros, but this was a pretty damning episode that may turn other coaches away from him and probably gives them a bad perception on his work ethic, whether or not it's true.  Mallett, I hope you get one more chance but man, gotta show more motivation than that.

hoglady

Quote from: maxre567 on October 28, 2015, 07:41:59 pm
Yup, this unfortunately is the gospel truth of the matter.  I know some people are not going to like Bill O'Brien for advocating this, and frankly I don't even think he's a good coach.  But let's remember something.  When Mallett was drafted by the Patriots into the Brady system, O'Brien was the guy who coached him up in it, he had his eye on him, and really Mallett had him to thank for the opportunity to start when he did.

And hey I thought after he made his first start and won as a Texan that he had a real chance to do it big in that league, but he didn't progress into this year at the rate that I think he should've.  Some of the Texans problems are to blame on Rick Smith the GM for throwing Andre Johnson out and giving a bunch of scrub receivers opposite Hopkins, but this particular incident was bad on Mallett's part, and look when a team is struggling like that, what kind of message would it be sending to them to just let the tardiness slide?  Plus let's not forget Bill O'Brien has big guy superiors keeping an eye on what he's doing and holding him accountable too.

I loved the years of excitement Mallett brought us in Fayetteville, I'd still love for him to get one more crack at it in the pros, but this was a pretty damning episode that may turn other coaches away from him and probably gives them a bad perception on his work ethic, whether or not it's true.  Mallett, I hope you get one more chance but man, gotta show more motivation than that.

Agree with most all you said except 2 points.
Mallett not progressing as rapidly as expected - he had pec surgery in Nov 2014 could not touch a football until mid June of 2015. It's hard to progress as a QB when you can't throw the football.

McClain - reporter for the Houston Chronicle reported yesterday that O'Brien never wanted to sign Mallett and didn't want to resign him in the spring. He didn't like Mallett the one year he coached him in NE. Sounds like it was a doomed match to begin with. Owner's and GM's forcing unwanted players on coaches isn't good for the coach or player.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

EastexHawg

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on October 27, 2015, 03:58:28 pm
At this point, two NFL teams have cut their loss on him due to poor play and/or worse professionalism.

The Patriots didn't "cut their loss" on him.  They TRADED him to Houston.  That means they received compensation for him in return.

New England does not give backup QBs a chance to showcase what they can do because Tom Brady plays every snap, even in blowouts.  Jimmy Garopollo, the QB the Patriots decided to keep instead of Mallett, hasn't attempted a single pass this year.  Mallet almost never played in New England for exactly the same reason. 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled rant.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 29, 2015, 09:10:36 am
The Patriots didn't "cut their loss" on him.  They TRADED him to Houston.  That means they received compensation for him in return.

New England does not give backup QBs a chance to showcase what they can do because Tom Brady plays every snap, even in blowouts.  Jimmy Garopollo, the QB the Patriots decided to keep instead of Mallett, hasn't attempted a single pass this year.  Mallet almost never played in New England for exactly the same reason. 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled rant.

Thus far Mallett is a bust, and may not get a chance to redeem himself because of his own actions. He has exhibited zero professionalism in Houston.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

EastexHawg

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 29, 2015, 09:26:08 am

Thus far Mallett is a bust, and may not get a chance to redeem himself because of his own actions. He has exhibited zero professionalism in Houston.

All that may be true, but trading a backup QB is not the classic definition "cutting your loss", especially for a franchise that for the last 15 years has almost never let the backup play.  Most seasons they could just prop up a clipboard on the sideline with a Patriots cap beside it and no one would ever know the difference.

Mallett attempted a total of four passes in three years in New England.  How can you be classified a "bust" when the Hall of Famer starter, remembering that he got his own job when Drew Bledsoe was injured, wants to play every snap of every game no matter the score and his head coach accommodates him?

The Texans?  Yeah, they "cut their loss" when they cut Ryan from the squad.

Ex-Trumpet

Mallett was on the verge of being cut in NE...then the mighty Texans came in and actually traded a draft pick for someone they could have picked up for nothing.  Mallett's contract was not gonna be renewed--with a raise--in NE.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 29, 2015, 09:47:25 am
All that may be true, but trading a backup QB is not the classic definition "cutting your loss", especially for a franchise that for the last 15 years has almost never let the backup play.  Most seasons they could just prop up a clipboard on the sideline with a Patriots cap beside it and no one would ever know the difference.

Mallett attempted a total of four passes in three years in New England.  How can you be classified a "bust" when the Hall of Famer starter, remembering that he got his own job when Drew Bledsoe was injured, wants to play every snap of every game no matter the score and his head coach accommodates him?

The Texans?  Yeah, they "cut their loss" when they cut Ryan from the squad.

He didn't bust in New England backing up Brady, but he had gained little value in his time there and managed to squander all of it with his actions in Houston.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

EastexHawg

A player being cut, especially a player who never played and was in the final year of a contract, is not necessarily proof that he is a bust.  There are other considerations such as salary/salary cap.  The Cowboys cut DeMarcus Ware last year.  Does that prove he was a bust?

Kurt Warner was the third stringer at Northern Iowa until his senior season.  He was undrafted and went to camp with the Packers, who released him.  No other NFL franchise offered, so he stocked shelves in a grocery store and played Arena Football.  Five years later...five years...he finally got a chance to play with the Rams, but even then he was the backup before Trent Green went down with a season ending injury.  Was Warner a "bust" before he became a Hall of Famer, or did he simply not get a chance to show what he could do until someone was forced to play him?

Johnny Unitas was cut by the Steelers...one of the worst teams in the league...and was playing semi-pro football before latching on with the Colts.

The list goes on and on.

Am I saying Ryan Mallett is the next Kurt Warner or Johnny Unitas?  Of course not.  What I am saying is that proclaiming someone who has never really gotten much playing time a bust is not necessarily a proper characterization.

Besides, we're not talking about a Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf, a #1 pick in the draft who was given a starting job and never panned out.  Mallett was picked in the 3rd round for the sole purpose of being a backup.  How do you get "bust" out of that?

NOTE:  I am SPECIFICALLY TALKING ABOUT the characterization of the Patriots trading Mallett to Houston as "cutting their losses".  I have already said that I agree that the Texas cut their losses by releasing Ryan.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 29, 2015, 09:55:54 am
Mallett was on the verge of being cut in NE...then the mighty Texans came in and actually traded a draft pick for someone they could have picked up for nothing.  Mallett's contract was not gonna be renewed--with a raise--in NE.

I will say this. His contract was coming up while at NE. Would have been much more costly than keeping Savage, and nothing indicates to me that Brady is slowing down or going anywhere soon.
Let's make some waves.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on October 29, 2015, 12:33:58 pm

I will say this. His contract was coming up while at NE. Would have been much more costly than keeping Savage, and nothing indicates to me that Brady is slowing down or going anywhere soon.

The only thing in NE that I think you can hold against Mallett is that two years in a row they pretty obviously orchestrated the fourth pre-season game around trying to show off Mallett's arm so they could raise his trade value, and he didn't take advantage to make a big play in either attempt. Clearly not the best circumstances, but you need to show something when a team gives you a chance to show off. One or two really impressive, long completions and maybe he gets traded to a better situation than Houston.

It also doesn't appear that Mallett really added anything to his game studying under Tom, specifically the short-throw stuff he needs to work on, but who knows how his reps in practice were set up. They could have had him running the scout team and throwing bombs all day long to give the DBs a workout.

But, overall, it's hard to change your stock much as a backup, or stick in New England as backup when your contract starts ticking up, and he didn't get into trouble or have immaturity issues (thanks, "Patriot Way(TM)"). Can't fault him for much there. Houston is another case.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

pigture perfect

I thought the Texans were a perfect fit for him. The best place to show greatness is in a place that has not had success for awhile and you come in a be a difference maker. That was Houston for Mallett.  I'm kind of hoping Philly will give him a chance.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 29, 2015, 01:35:56 pm
I thought the Texans were a perfect fit for him. The best place to show greatness is in a place that has not had success for awhile and you come in a be a difference maker. That was Houston for Mallett.  I'm kind of hoping Philly will give him a chance.

Philly?  Doesn't Kelly's offense require a more mobile qb?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Smokehouse

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 29, 2015, 02:23:14 pm
Philly?  Doesn't Kelly's offense require a more mobile qb?

Yes, unless Kelly leaves Philly would be a horrible fit for Mallett. Lots of option reads and short passes.

Of realistic options that may be available I would think getting a camp invite to Detroit, Tampa Bay, or Oakland and then earning the backup job would be a good spot for Ryan. If he gets to play in any of those systems if Stafford or Winston get pulled or Carr gets hurt they have the scheme and personnel to let him show off his arm strength by pushing it downfield.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

maxre567

Quote from: hoglady on October 28, 2015, 10:06:25 pm
Mallett not progressing as rapidly as expected - he had pec surgery in Nov 2014 could not touch a football until mid June of 2015. It's hard to progress as a QB when you can't throw the football.

McClain - reporter for the Houston Chronicle reported yesterday that O'Brien never wanted to sign Mallett and didn't want to resign him in the spring. He didn't like Mallett the one year he coached him in NE. Sounds like it was a doomed match to begin with. Owner's and GM's forcing unwanted players on coaches isn't good for the coach or player.

Wow, I did not know that.  I guess it just seems so odd that the guy who had been the OC when he was drafted was the guy who didn't want him.  If that is the case though then yeah, that Rick Smith dude is way worse than I thought.  I doubt this would happen but I really hope my team the Packers sign him as Rodgers's backup.  Really feel like he would fit the offense here being similar to what Bobby Petrino runs, plus I think McCarthy could coach him up pretty good and get more mileage out of him than Tolzein or Hundley and our WRs are better than the Texans'.

seasonhog

Quote from: hoglady on October 28, 2015, 10:06:25 pm

I have tried to tell everyone this for a long time........

If Houston wanting Mallett as their started they would have changed their offence,,,Mallett need to be on a team with more of a open offence,

McClain, letting the truth out......sadly Ryan never had a chance in Houston with O;B

Ryan, I believe wanting out. we will see if that is good or bad.....anyone tied to the NFL cover each other, Mallett maybe blackballed.......

Since he was cut, Mallett has been used to cover up how bad the Houston Texans are,

HiggiePiggy

Mallett isn't used to cover up how bad Texans are.  Everyone sees that.  What he did was really screw his chances by being a damn baby.  Do your job and show up on time and he would have probably gotten the job back last week.  Now he might not get on another team because of his own actions.   Owners do not want a pri-madonna  on their team unless they are worth the trouble.  Mallett is not worth the trouble.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

pigture perfect

O'baby is going to see how bad Yates is Sunday. He won't last long either.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hoglady

Mallett really screwed the pooch on this one.
He would be playing right now if he'd just been able to control his emotions and do what he was supposed to do.
He may not see it now but if he doesn't get another shot - 10 years from now he'll have some deep regrets.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

DLUXHOG

Betcha he's in Cowboy blues before the end of season..... ;)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Pig In The City

He may get one more shot but he better grow up and realize the world doesn't revolve around him.  Football will go in with him or without. Because he lost his crap he let Hoyer win.

hoglady

This NFL season has been a bust for me.
Cowboys lose every week (although I have enjoyed watching DMac)
Saints pretty well suck.
Mallett blew up his career in Houston.
The only bright spot is the last few weeks I've had fun watching Rodgers and Packers lose.

HawgWild

A guy on ESPN Sport Center this morning said that Johnny Manziel should be traded to the Texans. I guess he thinks that they have experience in handling immature, talented QBs.

grayhawg

Quote from: HawgWild on November 25, 2015, 03:04:14 pm
A guy on ESPN Sport Center this morning said that Johnny Manziel should be traded to the Texans. I guess he thinks that they have experience in handling immature, talented QBs.
Yep, they send them packing.

riccoar

Jerry needs somebody, because the one's he's tried have produced zero wins. 

DLUXHOG

Quote from: riccoar on December 01, 2015, 08:35:29 am
Jerry needs somebody, because the one's he's tried have produced zero wins. 

But.......Jerry may be positioning himself for the #1 draft day pick....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HawgWild

The Texans seemed to have turned things around after dumping Mallett. Hoyer's putting up some pretty good numbers. I doubt Mallett's name is coming up in any conversation of a team looking to bring in a QB. Sad. Wonder what's next for him?

grayhawg

Quote from: HawgWild on December 01, 2015, 09:57:38 am
The Texans seemed to have turned things around after dumping Mallett. Hoyer's putting up some pretty good numbers. I doubt Mallett's name is coming up in any conversation of a team looking to bring in a QB. Sad. Wonder what's next for him?
Hopefully he got his degree

hoglady

I doubt that has much to do with Mallett per se  - probably more to do with the end of the QB carousel. Not many teams do well when the coach can't settle on a starter. The Texans now have a clear #1 and a clear #2. Hoyer got hurt and I think 2 of their wins Yates was the QB, not Hoyer.
But everyone now is secure in their role - should have started the season that way (whether it be Hoyer or Mallett).

Smokehouse

I don't think the turnaround has a lot to do with Mallett being gone. Their defense has had a major turnaround and that feeds back to the offense somewhat. Plus other people than Hopkins are catching the ball now, and they have some stability at RB rather than Foster moving in and out.

Sad thing his, had Mallett just kept his head down low and put the work in silently he would have gotten another chance to play, on a Texans team that was performing much better overall.

Pig In The City

it is looking more like his NFL career is over. Welcome to the real world.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Pig In The City on December 02, 2015, 06:07:56 am
it is looking more like his NFL career is over. Welcome to the real world.

He won't have to live the real world if he manages his money right.  Not difficult to stay a millionaire for him if he plays it smart.  But then again many sports players are broke shortly after their careers are done.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?