Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC West LB's & D-Linemen Drafted Since 1992

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, August 20, 2017, 03:09:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

As we head into the season we discuss how important it is to have a solid defensive front 7. It does make a big difference. And a lot of times we equate the quality of our front 7's (along with recruiting) with the NFL Draftee's that are developed and produced by the various coaching staffs. This shows only D-Linemen and LB's.

Looking at each team in the West going back to 1992 you can sometimes tell where programs shifted directions and emphasis. Alabama is obvious if you look at the emphasis placed on defensive recruiting and development since the arrival of Saban. I think you can also notice a difference at LSU with the arrival of Les Miles in 2005. You might also be able to tell where some programs changed directions and decided to emphasize Offense more than Defense. A&M might be an example of this.

As this relates to Arkansas, I thought it was interesting that over the last 4 NFL Drafts we have had 6 D-Linemen and LB's drafted, which indicates a greater emphasis on the importance of quality front 7 development. How meaningful is this as it relates to our competition? Over that same period of time Alabama has had 12 of their front 7 drafted (no surprise there) but Auburn has only had 5, LSU-8, Ole Miss has had 2, Miss State has had 4 and A&M has had 2.

Let us hope that this type of recruiting and development, along with a change to a predominantly 3-4 defense this season, will bear better fruit.

SEC West D-Linemen & LB's Drafted Since 1992                     
Year   ALA   ARK   AUB   LSU   OM   MSU   A&M
2017    5       2       2       3       1       0       2
2016    3       0       0       1       1       1       0
2015    1       3       2       2       0       3       0
2014    3       1       1       2       0       0       0
2013    3       0       1       5       0       1       2
2012    3       1       0       1       0       1       0
2011    1       0       2       3       1       3       1
2010    3       0       0       2       1       1       0
2009    0       0       2       2       1       0       0
2008    0       1       2       1       0       0       2
2007    0       2       1       1       1       1       0
2006    2       0       1       3       0       0       1
2005    2       1       1       1       0       1       1
2004    2       1       3       2       1       0       0
2003    3       0       0       1       0       1       1
2002    1       1       0       2       0       1       1
2001    1       2       1       0       1       2       3
2000    1       0       3       0       1       2       0
1999    0       2       0       1       0       0       2
1998    1       1       1       2       1       1       0
1997    1       1       1       0       0       1       2
1996    2       2       0       1       0       0       1
1995    1       0       2       0       1       1       1
1994    2       1       0       0       1       1       3
1993    4       1       1       0       2       2       1
1992    1       0       1       1       0       2       2
Total   46     23      28     37     14      26     26

Go Hogs Go!

presidenthog

So ole miss is the worst, and we are behind miss st.

Sad. Hopefully miss st goes down for some of their recent cheating trying to catch up with ole miss.

gmarv

the numbers bama lost to the draft last year is interesting.I know they will be good but........

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: presidenthog on August 20, 2017, 04:04:44 pm
So ole miss is the worst, and we are behind miss st.

Sad. Hopefully miss st goes down for some of their recent cheating trying to catch up with ole miss.

Try focusing on the Bielema era.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Be interesting to see how many are still in the NFL three years later.  Lots of difference in a top three round draftee and going later.  Probably would still be similar numbers but maybe not, I suspect Bama advantage would be even more apparent.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 20, 2017, 08:07:59 pm
Be interesting to see how many are still in the NFL three years later.  Lots of difference in a top three round draftee and going later.  Probably would still be similar numbers but maybe not, I suspect Bama advantage would be even more apparent.

Has Wise or Ledbetter (2017) been cut yet?

Flowers, Spaight or Philon (2015)?

Chris Smith (2014)?

I don't know for certain, but the last that I heard they were all still on NFL rosters.

Regardless, it is an uptick in the production of NFL level talent along the front 7 whether they found the skills to survive or not.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 20, 2017, 08:27:46 pm

Chris Smith (2014)?

I don't know for certain, but the last that I heard they were all still on NFL rosters.

Regardless, it is an uptick in the production of NFL level talent along the front 7 whether they found the skills to survive or not.

And one of those is undeniably a NFL starter.  How many of Bamas during the same period is a starter?  It may or may not be an uptick that affects our current situation.  Our last two defenses haven't proven anything like that.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 20, 2017, 09:08:30 pm
And one of those is undeniably a NFL starter.  How many of Bamas during the same period is a starter?  It may or may not be an uptick that affects our current situation.  Our last two defenses haven't proven anything like that.

Maybe not and while I know that some are looking for anything negative that they can grasp a hold of in the face of positive information, we are improving. Like it or not, there is improvement in recruiting and development along the front 7. Alabama? That's your counterpoint? That isn't something that only Arkansas would like to have or aspire to, look at everyone else. No one is producing on Alabama's scale. Compare us to everyone else.
Go Hogs Go!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 20, 2017, 09:13:17 pm
Maybe not and while I know that some are looking for anything negative that they can grasp a hold of in the face of positive information, we are improving. Like it or not, there is improvement in recruiting and development along the front 7. Alabama? That's your counterpoint? That isn't something that only Arkansas would like to have or aspire to, look at everyone else. No one is producing on Alabama's scale. Compare us to everyone else.

Sorry my focus will alway be on being the best.  I already know we can attain 2nd best with the right circumstances whatever or whichever way that comes about.  It's not like I expect to beat Bama especially with Saban there but it's still the goal.  You reach other goals by striving to beat Bama.   Just my opinion of course.

DeltaBoy

We got to get better at D or we will be like some of Bobby P teams.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 22, 2017, 02:59:28 pm
We got to get better at D or we will be like some of Bobby P teams.

In the Sugar Bowl?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 21, 2017, 02:19:17 pm
Sorry my focus will alway be on being the best.  I already know we can attain 2nd best with the right circumstances whatever or whichever way that comes about.  It's not like I expect to beat Bama especially with Saban there but it's still the goal.  You reach other goals by striving to beat Bama.   Just my opinion of course.

It would be silly to believe that our team and staff ever go into an Alabama game in the absence of a plan and a goal to win. Still have to execute and the staff has something to do with that, but they can't do all of it. And, I'm pretty certain that everyone involved with any of our teams understand the concept of "goal setting".
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 20, 2017, 08:27:46 pm

Chris Smith (2014)?

Wise is a projected starter. Ledbetter has all but locked up a roster spot and it appears he'll be featured heavily on third downs.

Talk with Chris Smith is that he's a roster lock. He's performed well in the pre-season games so far and camp. Designated pass rusher kind of guy as well.

Flowers is a starter for the patriots.

Philon was a low quality starter but a starter for the chargers before Bosa came in. Now Philon is a rotational guy.

Spaight has impressed in camps and practices, but the redskins have some really good players that he is behind. Think he'd do well to be traded somewhere else.

While not drafted, Robert Thomas is projected to be the starting defensive tackle for the Giants.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 22, 2017, 06:19:02 pm
Wise is a projected starter. Ledbetter has all but locked up a roster spot and it appears he'll be featured heavily on third downs.

Talk with Chris Smith is that he's a roster lock. He's performed well in the pre-season games so far and camp. Designated pass rusher kind of guy as well.

Flowers is a starter for the patriots.

Philon was a low quality starter but a starter for the chargers before Bosa came in. Now Philon is a rotational guy.

Spaight has impressed in camps and practices, but the redskins have some really good players that he is behind. Think he'd do well to be traded somewhere else.

While not drafted, Robert Thomas is projected to be the starting defensive tackle for the Giants.

Thanks for the update Benny. If anyone knew, I knew you would have accurate data on this question.
Go Hogs Go!