Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas gets a $40.9 million payment for the 2016-17 season

Started by Con el Cerdos, February 01, 2018, 06:02:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogindasticks

Ok.....since Ark received this, PLEASE PLEASE stop with the CBB stuff.  Lets go forward.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Hogindasticks on February 01, 2018, 06:06:46 pm
Ok.....since Ark received this, PLEASE PLEASE stop with the CBB stuff.  Lets go forward.

What CBB stuff would that be?

Surely, you're not indicating that CBB had the least thing to do with the SEC signing broadcast contracts with ESPN and CBS.

RockyMtnHog

This is why Arkansas did not go to the Little 12.  Disbursements are smaller and the conference is on the verge of crashing.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

RME

February 01, 2018, 09:40:20 pm #4 Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:11:24 pm by RyanMallettsEgo
Quote from: RockyMtnHog on February 01, 2018, 09:38:55 pm
This is why Arkansas did not go to the Little 12.  Disbursements are smaller and the conference is on the verge of crashing.

Totally. $40 million and 4 wins. Sounds good. $10 million per win, great ratio. Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi State got the same.  Until someone shows me a correlation between money earned from conference affiliation and wins per season, your argument is useless.

steveaustin69

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on February 01, 2018, 09:38:55 pm

Their payout was around $35M a team.  Interested to see how those 5 extra mil are gonna translate to Ws on the field.

ricepig

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 01, 2018, 09:50:08 pm
Their payout was around $35M a team.  Interested to see how those 5 extra mil are gonna translate to Ws on the field.

It would be closer to $29m, unless the school we would be partnered with was bringing a large TV audience. $350m split 12 ways instead of 10.

Davidr295

I'd trade wins for less money. But hey thats just me. But by all means lets continue to get paid a ton to get our bell rung every year.

DeltaBoy

Good for the Program.   Please folks stop any more little 12 talk.  The Money is just too good to leave.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Davidr295

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 02, 2018, 08:25:46 am
Good for the Program.   Please folks stop any more little 12 talk.  The Money is just too good to leave.

Yep very good for the program. We need that money to continue to buy out all of our coaches. SEC Titles = 0, BCS Wins = 0; its totaly worth it.

Inhogswetrust

What's wrong? You didn't find a way to use the C word in that post. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HognotinMemphis

It's why all schools, especially schools with benefactors like the U of A has, are able to make oversized buyout payments without blinking. U of A playing with monopoly money. Those here, and that would be most of you, who kept saying the U of A would not fire Bielema due to size of the buyout, did not understand at all the magnitude of the money falling out of U of A's pockets. The Bielema buyout is a one time event while the $41 million  + bowl revenue money is a recurring annual event.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

steveaustin69

Quote from: ricepig on February 02, 2018, 08:19:19 am
It would be closer to $29m, unless the school we would be partnered with was bringing a large TV audience. $350m split 12 ways instead of 10.

Big 12 isn't adding more teams without upping their TV deals/final payouts. Come on, rice.  You know that.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 08:24:36 am
I'd trade wins for less money. But hey thats just me. But by all means lets continue to get paid a ton to get our bell rung every year.

You and me both. You'll get killed for that opinion on here, though.

go hogues

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 08:38:34 am
You and me both. You'll get killed for that opinion on here, though.
We'd play mediocre ball in the Big 12 too.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Davidr295

Quote from: go hogues on February 02, 2018, 08:41:24 am
We'd play mediocre ball in the Big 12 too.

So your logic is that the SEC is a far superior conference and the BIG 12 is trash. But if we moved to the BIG 12 it wouldnt translate to more wins? Yep that makes sense....

Davidr295

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 08:44:00 am
So your logic is that the SEC is a far superior conference and the BIG 12 is trash. But if we moved to the BIG 12 it wouldnt translate to more wins? Yep that makes sense....

And we have done very well against big 12 teams the last 10 years, but lets just forget that.

Davidr295

ricepig

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 08:37:15 am
Big 12 isn't adding more teams without upping their TV deals/final payouts. Come on, rice.  You know that.

Correct, since we add nothing to their TV deals, we won't be asked to join, you know that.

jkstock04

Are you making quite a bit off of it? Lol I laugh when the common fan talks about how great the $$$ is.

From my point of view ticket and donation costs only rise...even in light of "we are making so much money." Who is "we?" Sure AF ain't me. Costs as a regular season ticket holder have skyrocketed over the past 8 years in the midst of big time $$$$ tv deals and whatever else guys in suits affiliated with the university have schemed up.

It's just a little pet peeve of mine when I hear "we are getting rich" in light of the average ticket holder losing more. The SEC chest thumping by fans makes little sense to me. "Ya we have been throttled by Alabama for the past 10 years plus!!! Awesome! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC!!"

I understand the stability concerns of the big 12 as legit reasoning why our school wouldn't want to be there...regardless I still don't see much, if any evidence that the SEC is a good fit for us. At absolute best...and I mean at our peak we are a middle of the road program. It'll be interesting to see if Chad Morris can get us back to that level of respectability and out of the depths with Vandy and Kentucky.

My personal hope is that some day before I die there will be complete country wide conference realignment where it actually benefits our program vs what we have now....the non stopping struggle to maintain middle of the road.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

go hogues

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 08:47:14 am
We are a BIG 12 school wearing a nice shiny SEC mask.
Which ANY current Big 12 school would gladly trade for.

We leave the SEC with our tail between our legs (to the extreme laughter of the college sporting world) and the millisecond we left, OU or UT would take our spot.

You think it's hard to get recruits now? Just wait until we're trying to sell a kid from Georgia or Florida to come play in the Big 12 north... It's not like the Texas recruiting would get any easier, either. I remember all those crowing about how adding A&M to the SEC would be a positive for the UA...while A&M has risen above us and now the rest of the SECW is raiding Texas with equal or better results than us.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Davidr295

School Rival - Texas
Recruiting Grounds - BIG 12
Peak of program - SWC
Most of our admin and staff - BIG 12

Everything about us is BIG 12 but its all about the $ that none of us see

Davidr295

Quote from: go hogues on February 02, 2018, 08:56:25 am

We leave the SEC with our tail between our legs (to the extreme laughter of the college sporting world) and the millisecond we left, OU or UT would take our spot.

You think it's hard to get recruits now? Just wait until we're trying to sell a kid from Georgia or Florida to come play in the Big 12 north... It's not like the Texas recruiting would get any easier, either. I remember all those crowing about how adding A&M to the SEC would be a positive for the UA...while A&M has risen above us and now the rest of the SECW is raiding Texas with equal or better results than us.

Ill save myself some typing; every single detail about your response is wrong. Please move along.

jkstock04

Ya I'm sure Oklahoma State is dying to come to the SEC and throw away the annual top 20 rankings and 10 win seasons. Must suck to be them.

Stillwater, Oklahoma is obviously a much better venue to recruit to than Fayetteville.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

longtimeHogfan

We're in the right place and our time's coming.  I just hope I live long enough to see it.   :P
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

steveaustin69

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 02, 2018, 08:53:31 am
Are you making quite a bit off of it? Lol I laugh when the common fan talks about how great the $$$ is.

From my point of view ticket and donation costs only rise...even in light of "we are making so much money." Who is "we?" Sure AF ain't me. Costs as a regular season ticket holder have skyrocketed over the past 8 years in the midst of big time $$$$ tv deals and whatever else guys in suits affiliated with the university have schemed up.

It's just a little pet peeve of mine when I hear "we are getting rich" in light of the average ticket holder losing more. The SEC chest thumping by fans makes little sense to me. "Ya we have been throttled by Alabama for the past 10 years plus!!! Awesome! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC!!"

I understand the stability concerns of the big 12 as legit reasoning why our school wouldn't want to be there...regardless I still don't see much, if any evidence that the SEC is a good fit for us. At absolute best...and I mean at our peak we are a middle of the road program. It'll be interesting to see if Chad Morris can get us back to that level of respectability and out of the depths with Vandy and Kentucky.

My personal hope is that some day before I die there will be complete country wide conference realignment where it actually benefits our program vs what we have now....the non stopping struggle to maintain middle of the road.

I am a fan of this post

steveaustin69

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on February 02, 2018, 09:02:07 am
We're in the right place and our time's coming.  I just hope I live long enough to see it.   :P

We've been in the SEC a quarter century with next to no results. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Quote from: ricepig on February 02, 2018, 08:48:10 am
Correct, since we add nothing to their TV deals, we won't be asked to join, you know that.
If we asked to be the in Big 12, they'd climb all over themselves to add us. You know this.

steveaustin69

I think OU probably likes knowing they are likely going to make the CFP every three years, but maybe that's just me.

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on February 02, 2018, 09:03:50 am
If we asked to be the in Big 12, they'd climb all over themselves to add us. You know this.

Do I? It's all about money and TV contracts these days, we don't add any additional TV sets to their footprint.

go hogues

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 08:57:12 am
School Rival - Texas
Recruiting Grounds - BIG 12
Peak of program - SWC
Most of our admin and staff - BIG 12

Everything about us is BIG 12 but its all about the $ that none of us see
Sorry dude. We moved out of that conference in 1991. You can hang your hat on being 1-1 vs. TCU and Texas Tech and being 2-0 against KSU the last few seasons but the rest of us would like to remain in a stable conference and compete against the best.

Davidr295

Quote from: ricepig on February 02, 2018, 09:05:54 am
Do I? It's all about money and TV contracts these days, we don't add any additional TV sets to their footprint.

What do we add to the SEC footprint?

hoghiker

We'd be studs in the Sun Belt.

steveaustin69

Quote from: hoghiker on February 02, 2018, 09:10:08 am
We'd be studs in the Sun Belt.

P5 to G5 comparison never gets old; you fundamentally do not understand the argument if you go there.

steveaustin69

Quote from: go hogues on February 02, 2018, 09:09:35 am
Sorry dude. We moved out of that conference in 1991. You can hang your hat on being 1-1 vs. TCU and Texas Tech and being 2-0 against KSU the last few seasons but the rest of us would like to remain in a stable conference and compete lose against the best.

FIFY

Davidr295

Sorry dude. We moved out of that conference in 1991. You can hang your hat on being 1-1 vs. TCU and Texas Tech and being 2-0 against KSU the last few seasons but the rest of us would like to remain in a stable conference and compete against the best.

Keep telling yourself that... There are way more of us that would rather win than prostitute the program for $. The myth of the big 12 demise keeps going, yet it continues to survive.

Davidr295

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 09:12:23 am
P5 to G5 comparison never gets old; you fundamentally do not understand the argument if you go there.

They think they are slick when they slip that one in

jkstock04

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 02, 2018, 09:05:52 am
I think OU probably likes knowing they are likely going to make the CFP every three years, but maybe that's just me.

Of course they do. Saying otherwise is a "SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC!" homer spin job. OU is sitting in a perfect situation. It would be dumber than a bag of hammers for them to willingly move conferences (especially the SEC West) so they could make an extra few million off a tv contract and whatever else comparable to what they already have.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Davidr295

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 09:14:26 am
Keep telling yourself that... There are way more of us that would rather win than prostitute the program for $. The myth of the big 12 demise keeps going, yet it continues to survive.

Arkansas BCS wins = 0, BIG 12 not 0. Heck even Kansas has a BCS win.....

ur

jkstock04

What is your definition of competing? In the past 10 years we have "competed" in about 3 or 4 of them. I do however agree with the stability point of the Big 12.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Davidr295

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 02, 2018, 09:22:01 am
What is your definition of competing? In the past 10 years we have "competed" in about 3 or 4 of them. I do however agree with the stability point of the Big 12.

That part is a myth. How many years have they been saying the BIG 12 was going to crash. Almost as long as we have been in the SEC. Yet the Big 12 continues to live.

justmakeit2thebcs

Then lets go FCS.  You got like a man that shys away from competition. 

steveaustin69

AirWarren

Get skull drug by the best.....you mean?

AirWarren

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on February 02, 2018, 09:02:07 am
Lol.

Change your name to Longtimedelusionalhogfan.

AirWarren

You speak the truth.

jkstock04

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 09:23:44 am
That part is a myth. How many years have they been saying the BIG 12 was going to crash. Almost as long as we have been in the SEC. Yet the Big 12 continues to live.
That's a fair point. It wouldn't completely surprise me if the "the big 12 is unstable and could come crashing down at any time" mantra is simply SEC homer hype.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 02, 2018, 09:09:46 am
What do we add to the SEC footprint?

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/1990-sec-expansion-southeastern-conference/

"The SEC's area of dominant influence fell short of the footprint desired by many consumer-oriented companies," which Kramer sought as sponsors. To make the "footprint" more sponsor-friendly, Kramer wanted to move into South Carolina, Arkansas and especially Texas. By targeting Texas, Texas A&M and Arkansas, Kramer had effectively declared war on the Southwest Conference, where all three schools were members.
Hogs up! Covid down!