Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring game in WMS April 7th

Started by ArKan5a5 KiD, January 25, 2018, 07:05:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AlmaHog2011

I am glad we are having it in the Rock. We need make sure kids can see the Hogs from every part of the State. It's not like NWA has supported the game they leave before halftime.

buldozer

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 27, 2018, 08:24:21 pm
Time is on the side of RRS for two reasons.

WMS' reliance on public funding will not allow it to be better than the mid-major venue it has become.

Eventually old timers like myself who grew up with memories of meaningful games in WMS will be gone and only those who witnessed games against no-name teams will remain. I doubt many of the them will fuss much over all games being on campus.

Incorrect. No matter how much time goes by, NWA will never be centrally located in the state. It will always be more akin to MO or OK than AR. And no matter how much time passes, the State Capitol and the influence leaders in AR will always be in LR, the center of the State. You can tell you're in LR by all the people going to work wearing a suit and tie.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on January 27, 2018, 08:43:27 pm
So, Seark fans should be treated "special"? I don't remember any special treatment for NEA or SWA fans, we're just Razorback fans, we show up where they game is, no questions asked, or special treatment required.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to have some scientific proof on your per/seat claim, like one by some nationally recognized group??

Treated special? No, of course not. Acknowledged? Yeah, it would help the overall program. And that doesn't just include Seark.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on January 28, 2018, 08:07:50 am
Treated special? No, of course not. Acknowledged? Yeah, it would help the overall program. And that doesn't just include Seark.

So.....have a SEA day on campus? What exactly are they to do to acknowledge SEA?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: buldozer on January 28, 2018, 07:53:19 am
Incorrect. No matter how much time goes by, NWA will never be centrally located in the state. It will always be more akin to MO or OK than AR. And no matter how much time passes, the State Capitol and the influence leaders in AR will always be in LR, the center of the State. You can tell you're in LR by all the people going to work wearing a suit and tie.

No he was 100% correct. Besides that IF NWA is akin to MO then it is because they share a geographic area called the Ozarks. Which are his just like the Ouachita area. Heres a shocker for you about HALF of Arkansas is not like the other half both ways. Large parts of MO AND OK is more like the flat delta of Arkansas without the water resources than it is NWA. Arkansas is diversified geographically, culturally and economically and that is a good thing. As far as influence leaders then that covers the whole state. Politicians and business leaders in Arkansas are not just from central Arkansas. As a matter of fact guess where the largest of the fortune 500 largest companies in Arkansas are located. It isn't central Arkansas. Only one is located there, dullards. One is in south Arkansas, Murphy's Oil and the other three are in NWA, Wal-Mart, Tyson and JB Hunt.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

CDBHawg

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 27, 2018, 08:57:17 pm
I am glad we are having it in the Rock. We need make sure kids can see the Hogs from every part of the State. It's not like NWA has supported the game they leave before halftime.

I wonder how many parents are going to drive there from the eastern and southern parts of the state just to take their kids to a spring game. The farther away the less likely. I'd bet most attending will come from a 50 mile radius or less.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 28, 2018, 08:31:45 am
I wonder how many parents are going to drive there from the eastern and southern parts of the state just to take their kids to a spring game. The farther away the less likely. I'd bet most attending will come from a 50 mile radius or less.

Look forward to seeing how many show up. Hope it's a great crowd but I do know I won't be driving up from the Fort. I have always drove up to the red white game in Fayetteville and there has not been great support. And most leave before halftime so just give LR a chance and maybe the RW game will be a better thing for the players. It's about the players and recruiting. We need all the players from this state and most are from the LR area or beyond.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 28, 2018, 08:37:03 am
Look forward to seeing how many show up. Hope it's a great crowd but I do know I won't be driving up from the Fort. I have always drove up to the red white game in Fayetteville and there has not been great support. And most leave before halftime so just give LR a chance and maybe the RW game will be a better thing for the players. It's about the players and recruiting. We need all the players from this state and most are from the LR area or beyond.

Under Bret there wasn't great support for the spring game but prior to that there was better support. i've only missed a few in the last 20 or so years. Even though I'm in Memphis I'll probably miss this one since we are selling our house and packing to move. I certainly hope there is a great crowd to welcome the new coaches and their enthusiasm!

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 28, 2018, 08:38:26 am
Under Bret there wasn't great support for the spring game but prior to that there was better support. i've only missed a few in the last 20 or so years. Even though I'm in Memphis I'll probably miss this one since we are selling our house and packing to move. I certainly hope there is a great crowd to welcome the new coaches and their enthusiasm!

https://fansided.com/2013/04/21/arkansas-razorbacks-break-spring-game-attendance-record-again/

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2018, 08:41:59 am
https://fansided.com/2013/04/21/arkansas-razorbacks-break-spring-game-attendance-record-again/

I was there and the word "new" in front of Bret's name in the attached makes the difference. I, like a lot of people, thought he was a great hire at the time. Also it was, as all of them are in all schools spring games, an inflated attendance figure. for the most part attendance was not that great over his tenure. I was at all of them. i also think attendance will be good this year as long as the weather is good. New coach, new enthusiasm, new style, etc.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

oldhawg

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 28, 2018, 09:07:02 am
You guys are on the same side, man.

I'm just posting what we consider facts, but thanks for your following.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2018, 09:35:00 am

You're really butthurt about this, aren't you?

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 28, 2018, 09:52:45 am
You're really butthurt about this, aren't you?

Not at all, but thanks for the follow!

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2018, 10:03:34 am
Not at all, but thanks for the follow!

Honor to be among your minions. 😆

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 28, 2018, 10:06:31 am

It's all good my friend, just offering a different opinion. 😉

steveaustin69

Quote from: LZH on January 27, 2018, 08:25:32 pm
Well, when a good chunk of what would have been Hog fans in Seark have been de facto encouraged to stick with the program 'just 'cause we say so', you open the door for other "real winners". And, fwiw, WMS is the loudest per-seat venue in the south....it is still one helluva home field advantage. Is it beautiful? No. Is it huge? No. Is it important to countless seark families? Damn straight.

Just goes to show that the Starbucks crowd in NWA love to be seen rather than win. Get this: Nutt had his two year run, and so did Bobby. Other than that, kids under 30 have only recollections of Arkansas being alsorans over the past 25+ years.

Weird. Reading Hogville I thought we were a top 10 program.

PonderinHog

steveaustin69

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 28, 2018, 08:29:27 am
No he was 100% correct. Besides that IF NWA is akin to MO then it is because they share a geographic area called the Ozarks. Which are his just like the Ouachita area. Heres a shocker for you about HALF of Arkansas is not like the other half both ways. Large parts of MO AND OK is more like the flat delta of Arkansas without the water resources than it is NWA. Arkansas is diversified geographically, culturally and economically and that is a good thing. As far as influence leaders then that covers the whole state. Politicians and business leaders in Arkansas are not just from central Arkansas. As a matter of fact guess where the largest of the fortune 500 largest companies in Arkansas are located. It isn't central Arkansas. Only one is located there, dullards. One is in south Arkansas, Murphy's Oil and the other three are in NWA, Wal-Mart, Tyson and JB Hunt.

Those Stephens boys seem to have a few spare dollars lying around. 

I interned at Wal-Mart back when I was in school.  Out of the 25 people in the group I was working with, there was 1 U of A grad and 3 that grew up in Arkansas.  All the money in the world can't change that.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2018, 09:35:00 am

the problem is, you're not posting all of the facts. A while back Mike Irwin posted about why the PTB at the U of A do not want another game in DWRRS. They feel that asking the people from other parts of the state to travel to Fayetteville for the games as many as 8 times a year would be too much so they are content with leaving 1 game a year in WMS even if the Southwest Classic in Arlington goes away.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Redhogs

Quote from: buldozer on January 28, 2018, 07:53:19 am
WOW...that's a deminted and ass back word assessment right there. You can tell you are in LR by all the crime, gangs, and carjackings...fixed that for ya....
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 28, 2018, 12:43:22 pm
the problem is, you're not posting all of the facts. A while back Mike Irwin posted about why the PTB at the U of A do not want another game in DWRRS. They feel that asking the people from other parts of the state to travel to Fayetteville for the games as many as 8 times a year would be too much so they are content with leaving 1 game a year in WMS even if the Southwest Classic in Arlington goes away.

As said as much in the HY thread, "Oh, I agree that it's going to take 7 games at RRS to make the suites/loge boxes/club seating "palatable" at these prices. I also agree with the thinking that 8 games may be 1 to many for the average fan in season ticket costs/expenses. I'm not sure if Arlington or LR will prevail, or both. "

If the PTB think there needs to be an 8th game to generate the necessary revenue, there will be one.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on January 28, 2018, 12:43:22 pm

I don't know "nothin" about what the PTB want, but given what seems to be the current mood of Arkansas fans and feeling like the University may have changed their viewpoint to some extent (my opinion only), I wouldn't be surprised if the one game each year at WMS isn't a designated SEC game so as to try to keep everyone happy.

Jerry Jones has done a lot for his alma mater and because of that, I doubt the game at his Jerry World with A&M ever goes away unless it is replaced with another game with a big name team. Maybe an annual OOC game with a big time P-5 opponent that is "one and done" or a two game contract. That's not a bad draw for bigger OOC opponents. Now that doesn't make scheduling easier for anyone, but if it could be accomplished it would give Arkansas a national stage in the state of Texas (for recruiting) vs. a big time opponent and keep Jerry and his money, happy.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2018, 12:55:58 pm
As said as much in the HY thread, "Oh, I agree that it's going to take 7 games at RRS to make the suites/loge boxes/club seating "palatable" at these prices. I also agree with the thinking that 8 games may be 1 to many for the average fan in season ticket costs/expenses. I'm not sure if Arlington or LR will prevail, or both. "

If the PTB think there needs to be an 8th game to generate the necessary revenue, there will be one.

Your thinking doesn't fit his words.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 28, 2018, 12:59:13 pm
Your thinking doesn't fit his words.

Who's words, Mike's, the PTB's, the GOBN's, the ones bouncing around in your head, which one's???

hawgmasta

Only 10 pages?!? Those are rookie numbers you gotta pump those up!

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2018, 08:10:47 am
So.....have a SEA day on campus? What exactly are they to do to acknowledge SEA?

If you were to see as many Mizzou or Tennessee shirts and bumper stickers in Jonesboro as you do Razorback stuff, then you'll get it. NWA obviously can't support the Hogs all by their self.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on January 28, 2018, 03:17:08 pm
If you were to see as many Mizzou or Tennessee shirts and bumper stickers in Jonesboro as you do Razorback stuff, then you'll get it. NWA obviously can't support the Hogs all by their self.

Yeah, we're not a group to give up our support because we have to drive a little further, or aren't winning as much as we'd like. I guess some are bandwagon fans........ :D

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on January 28, 2018, 10:06:31 am

Which one of those Minions are you in the movies?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 28, 2018, 11:31:39 am
Those Stephens boys seem to have a few spare dollars lying around. 

I interned at Wal-Mart back when I was in school.  Out of the 25 people in the group I was working with, there was 1 U of A grad and 3 that grew up in Arkansas.  All the money in the world can't change that.

And I know several that graduated in my class from the UA that works at Wal-Mart headquarters. When you consider how big Wal-Mart is then it stands to reason that not all would be UA grads dude.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 28, 2018, 12:58:33 pm
I don't know "nothin" about what the PTB want, but given what seems to be the current mood of Arkansas fans and feeling like the University may have changed their viewpoint to some extent (my opinion only), I wouldn't be surprised if the one game each year at WMS isn't a designated SEC game so as to try to keep everyone happy.

Jerry Jones has done a lot for his alma mater and because of that, I doubt the game at his Jerry World with A&M ever goes away unless it is replaced with another game with a big name team. Maybe an annual OOC game with a big time P-5 opponent that is "one and done" or a two game contract. That's not a bad draw for bigger OOC opponents. Now that doesn't make scheduling easier for anyone, but if it could be accomplished it would give Arkansas a national stage in the state of Texas (for recruiting) vs. a big time opponent and keep Jerry and his money, happy.

The mood of Arkansas fans varies just like at any school. Not all ever agree on all the time or even now.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

AHiD

Let's revisit the GSD, just so we can stop polluting  that one thread about the spring game in WMS.
My name...is Jerruh

AHiD

The main thing I'd like to say is that let's switch the argument.

Assume that when they built the UofA, instead of putting it in Fayetteville, they put it in LR. Assume further that every year from the 1940's till 2012 they played two games a year in Fayetteville. Who among us would say that ending those games in Fayetteville was a bad thing?
My name...is Jerruh

RME

Or what happens when the XFL wants to bring a team to Little Rock but mandates that WMS be upgraded, resulting in money actually being spent to enhance WMS, therefore, rendering the "WMS is a dump" argument useless?

I mean, since we're talking hypotheticals and all. Just for fun.

Hawgphish

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hawgphat

I assume (rightly or wrongly) that those die-hard Razorbacks fans in the Little Rock area and perhaps within a 50 mile radius of the Little Rock city limits will exercise the option to attend the game.  I wouldn't even venture to guesstimate how many fans the Spring "game" will draw from that Central Arkansas region.  I DO believe that the Little Rock event will lose substantial attendance from other areas of the state outside of Central Arkansas..  Perhaps there is a more than sufficiency of localized Central Arkansas "dedicated" fans who have perennially declined to make the trip to Fayetteville to offset the shortage of attendance from the balance of the traditional University campus state-wide demographics. We shall see.

If the Little Rock venue proves to simply exchange convenience factors for one group of attendees for another, then the event might prove to be a wash, numerically speaking.

twistitup

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 28, 2018, 05:25:59 pm
Or what happens when the XFL wants to bring a team to Little Rock but mandates that WMS be upgraded, resulting in money actually being spent to enhance WMS, therefore, rendering the "WMS is a dump" argument useless?

I mean, since we're talking hypotheticals and all. Just for fun.

That would leave the XFL, UALR, and UofA using it in 2020....

...from nothing to something

RME

Quote from: twistitup on January 28, 2018, 05:30:56 pm
That would leave the XFL, UALR, and UofA using it in 2020....

...from nothing to something

They could make a whole weekend out of it.

UALR on a Sun Belt Thursday night game.
Country concert on Friday night.
U of A on Saturday.
XFL on Sunday.

Maybe that could fill the void left by Riverfest?

steveaustin69

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 28, 2018, 03:46:43 pm
And I know several that graduated in my class from the UA that works at Wal-Mart headquarters. When you consider how big Wal-Mart is then it stands to reason that not all would be UA grads dude.

NWA has a much higher percentage of transplants than any other area of Arkansas

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hawgphat on January 28, 2018, 05:29:59 pm
I assume (rightly or wrongly) that those die-hard Razorbacks fans in the Little Rock area and perhaps within a 50 mile radius of the Little Rock city limits will exercise the option to attend the game.  I wouldn't even venture to guesstimate how many fans the Spring "game" will draw from that Central Arkansas region.  I DO believe that the Little Rock event will lose substantial attendance from other areas of the state outside of Central Arkansas..  Perhaps there is a more than sufficiency of localized Central Arkansas "dedicated" fans who have perennially declined to make the trip to Fayetteville to offset the shortage of attendance from the balance of the traditional University campus state-wide demographics. We shall see.

If the Little Rock venue proves to simply exchange convenience factors for one group of attendees for another, then the event might prove to be a wash, numerically speaking.

Let's say you want to go to a night game in Fayetteville. Most people don't want to drive 2.5 hours in the dark at 11 pm at night, so you've got to get a room. Most hotels in Fayetteville require a two night stay on game day weekends. Hell, the Chancellor makes you book multiple weekends to get a half decent rate. So we're talking 500 bucks or so for just tickets and room and board for two?  Once you get food at anywhere half decent, have a beer etc for a couple days/nights we're talking 7-800 bucks on a weekend. Most can't afford that; has nothing to do with dedication levels.  While I'm here, may I ask how you, as a dedicated fan, spend your fan points?

ricepig

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 28, 2018, 05:41:02 pm
Let's say you want to go to a night game in Fayetteville. Most people don't want to drive 2.5 hours in the dark at 11 pm at night, so you've got to get a room. Most hotels in Fayetteville require a two night stay on game day weekends. Hell, the Chancellor makes you book multiple weekends to get a half decent rate. So we're talking 500 bucks or so for just tickets and room and board for two?  Once you get food at anywhere half decent, have a beer etc for a couple days/nights we're talking 7-800 bucks on a weekend. Most can't afford that; has nothing to do with dedication levels.  While I'm here, may I ask how you, as a dedicated fan, spend your fan points?

You don't have to stay in Fayetteville, plenty of hotels in NWA don't require a 2 night stay. I've never had to stay two nights since 2001, never.

steveaustin69

Quote from: ricepig on January 28, 2018, 05:47:28 pm
You don't have to stay in Fayetteville, plenty of hotels in NWA don't require a 2 night stay. I've never had to stay two nights since 2001, never.

Traffic control is atrocious in Fayetteville; last time I did that didn't get to the hotel until 1230 AM.

My point was that for many families the money is not going to work to go to game after game 3+ hours from home.

Where do you spend your fan points?

twistitup

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 28, 2018, 05:34:29 pm
They could make a whole weekend out of it.

UALR on a Sun Belt Thursday night game.
Country concert on Friday night.
U of A on Saturday.
XFL on Sunday.

Maybe that could fill the void left by Riverfest?

That would be a good weekend....

Has there been a void left by Riverfest?

RME

Quote from: twistitup on January 28, 2018, 06:52:57 pm
That would be a good weekend....

Has there been a void left by Riverfest?

Too early to tell, I guess. Just another example of central Arkansas and southeast Arkansas getting shafted by the man.

I heard Jeff Long lobbied to move Riverfest to Fort Smith to become RiverValleyFest but he was overruled. Don't quote me on that though.

ricepig

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 28, 2018, 06:43:03 pm
Traffic control is atrocious in Fayetteville; last time I did that didn't get to the hotel until 1230 AM.

My point was that for many families the money is not going to work to go to game after game 3+ hours from home.

Where do you spend your fan points?

Well, as one goes to games over the years, he learns shortcuts, intersections to avoid, and such. I spend my IHG Priority Points on free nights, you?