Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrino Lovers

Started by soooieman, September 18, 2017, 11:28:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 18, 2017, 11:45:02 pm
According to you guys Petrino is one of the luckiest guys on the planet. Terrible coach, but just plain lucky lol. Seems legit.

BP is a good coach, but you do have to admit it was very fortunate for him, given his offense, to come here at the same time that a AR HS in a town of about 5k produced THREE NFL draft picks at skill positions, also produced Adams and Hamilton, TW, and RM decided to come home ( yes I know he went to TExas high in Texarkana, but he was a Hog ). BP got Adams and TW to change their commitments, good job there. Also was left some good players like Bequette, DJ Williams, Swanson.

It would be like if BB had come here and at the same time the HS crop in state was full of stud rb's and linemen.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

In 2011 Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas went a combined 22-0 against the rest of the SEC.  In other words, the other nine teams in the conference were 22 games under .500 collectively.  On top of that, South Carolina, who finished 11-2 and #9 in the final AP poll despite being stomped by the Razorbacks, went 6-1 against the rest of its SEC schedule. 

The top four teams in the conference, all of which finished in the top 9 in the final polls, lost only one game all season...in conference or otherwise...to teams other than themselves.  Their cumulative SEC record was 28-1, 27 games over .500.

When the other eight conference members finish a combined 27 games under .500, how many of them can possibly have winning SEC records?  Is the nonsensical nature of the "only beat blah, blah, blah teams with winning conference records" stat beginning to come into a little better focus?  When you have maybe the three best teams in the nation...or maybe even the best four...and they only lose to each other, sheer math tells you that even if another team is one of the best 15-20 in the country they are probably going to have a losing conference record.  That's what we had in both 2010 and 2011, especially 2011.  Change Arkansas' 12-4 SEC record during those years to 2-14 and the odds are that there are going to be more teams with winning conference records.  After all, the entire rest of the conference just went 12 games over .500 instead of eight games under.

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on September 19, 2017, 09:21:36 am
BP is a good coach, but you do have to admit it was very fortunate for him, given his offense, to come here at the same time that a AR HS in a town of about 5k produced THREE NFL draft picks at skill positions, also produced Adams and Hamilton, TW, and RM decided to come home ( yes I know he went to TExas high in Texarkana, but he was a Hog ). BP got Adams and TW to change their commitments, good job there. Also was left some good players like Bequette, DJ Williams, Swanson.

It would be like if BB had come here and at the same time the HS crop in state was full of stud rb's and linemen.
This could also have something to do with his system and actual coaching.

I'm becoming more convinced the more I witness that different players may prosper better in different systems. How would those three NFL draft picks and other players had prospered in Bielemas system the past 4 years? I'm not sure.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 07:51:55 am
Ole Miss was 0-8 in conference in 2011. It's easy to refuse to lose when you have better talent than the other team. Remember, A&M fired Sherman after that season and Vandy is Vandy
What does that matter? The point is that they still won, and to my knowledge I don't remember very many games that Petrino lost when his team was obviously the more talented team. Maybe a couple in first season.

Now let's rub our brain cells together and see if we can come up with any games where Bielema lost when his team was obviously the more talented team. Bonus points if those losses included epic 4th quarter meltdowns.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 19, 2017, 09:30:17 am
This could also have something to do with his system and actual coaching.

I'm becoming more convinced the more I witness that different players may prosper better in different systems. How would those three NFL draft picks and other players had prospered in Bielemas system the past 4 years? I'm not sure.

Well, we don't know, but 4 Ar receivers off last years team made NFL rosters, albeit as UDA's. I think that group from 10/11 would have put up huge #'s under BB because they were just that talented.

As an aside, when that group came in 2008 did anyone dream that the best NFL player of them all would be Jarius Wright? Still playing withe the Vikings. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Kevin

he is gone, move on or go be a Louisville fan
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hoglady

The Petrino bashing doesn't lift up Bielema.

Both coaches are what their record says they are.
The records at other schools make no difference, what they did or will do at other schools makes no difference.
Their record while coaching here is all that matters.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Redhogs

Quote from: hoglady on September 19, 2017, 09:40:18 am

The records at other schools make no difference, what they did or will do at other schools makes no difference.
Too much common sense in this post...and it is all that matters.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hoghearted

QFT
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

GoHogzzGo

Was coming to come and say something long form but you covered it. Well said.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

hawgon

Bielema needs to fail and go for the fanbase to heal.  Success would do it too, but that probably isn't going to happen.  The Nutt saga broke it.  Petrino's winning was close to fixing it but that mess happened before success had been sustained enough.  Now Bert took over a program with the fracture lines from the Nutt/JFB mess AND the Petrino mess.

We're five years in and I think it is too late for Bielema to fix it.  If he fails to the point that the entire fanbase sees that he needs to go, then everyone can get firmly behind the new guy. 

I'm not sure anyone could have done much better, but he isn't the guy.  Probably anyone was doomed.

IronHog

Ran what he had.

BP would coach up Jones, Pettway, etc and make them productive players.

I'd go so far as saying UA/BP probably missed a NC not having B. Allen play for Petino.  He would have ran the power spread at a HIGH level.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

gchamblee

Quote from: soooieman on September 18, 2017, 11:48:22 pm
No luck at all. Didn't need it. Played 80% of the games vs lesser talent

The thing about being good, most teams you play are underdogs.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

gchamblee

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 18, 2017, 11:58:59 pm
Bret's big time wins? Meanwhile, here are some of his year 4 goldies...56-3, epic second half collapses against Mizzou and VA Tech....

PRJ

Just off the top of my head, he beat Florida last year convincingly. The years Ole Miss was cheating and even upsetting Bama Bret was beating them. He also destroyed LSU a couple years in a row, once at night in Death Valley which is hard to do. Ive stopped defending CBB but I'm not going to pretend none of the good has happened.

GuvHog

For the record, Adams, who was not from Warren, was a USC lock until BP flipped him late and Hamilton came from Texarkana, Texas.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

gchamblee

Bobby is 111-44  / .716 overall
Bobby was 34-17 / .667  at Arkansas

Label him how you want. Ive called him out for losing all of his big games, but those are nice numbers that I would love to have back again. Id love to have that back while we searched for a guy that can win the big games.

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 10:12:52 am
For the record, Adams, who was not from Warren, was a USC lock until BP flipped him late and Hamilton came from Texarkana, Texas.

This is true.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hoggiedawg

True dat.

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on September 19, 2017, 09:37:10 am
Well, we don't know, but 4 Ar receivers off last years team made NFL rosters, albeit as UDA's. I think that group from 10/11 would have put up huge #'s under BB because they were just that talented.

As an aside, when that group came in 2008 did anyone dream that the best NFL player of them all would be Jarius Wright? Still playing withe the Vikings. 
Quote from: hogsanity on September 19, 2017, 09:37:10 am

Other than Joe Adams I don't remember those guys being "blue chip" recruits out of high school. Our recruiting class that year was per normal ranked 25-30.

That's kind of what I'm saying...not to take anything away from their natural football ability...but also a big part of how great they were I think had to do with the coaching and system they were in.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

gchamblee

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 19, 2017, 10:19:36 am
Other than Joe Adams I don't remember those guys being "blue chip" recruits out of high school. Our recruiting class that year was per normal ranked 25-30.

That's kind of what I'm saying...not to take anything away from their natural football ability...but also a big part of how great they were I think had to do with the coaching and system they were in.

Bobby runs a system. The system is you run to this point on the field and the Ball will be thrown to that point. It is your job to be at that point. If he has an accurate QB, which he always does, the system looks good and is hard to defend. If he plays against a good defense that understands, it starts to look pedestrian. Fortunately for Bobby, there aren't that many good defenses in college ball. He wins a lot of games and that is undeniable.

GuvHog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 19, 2017, 10:23:23 am
Bobby runs a system. The system is you run to this point on the field and the Ball will be thrown to that point. It is your job to be at that point. If he has an accurate QB, which he always does, the system looks good and is hard to defend. If he plays against a good defense that understands, it starts to look pedestrian. Fortunately for Bobby, there aren't that many good defenses in college ball. He wins a lot of games and that is undeniable.

It's called the "Power Spread" (that's what he ran at Arkansas) and it's more complex than just passing.

Since his arrival at Louisville, he has started using the HUNH which he didn't do as Hog HC.

rzrbkman

Petrino has lost 4 of his last 6 games at Louisville.

Tusks

I love being told I shouldnt enjoy the best 3 year stretch of Hog football since the Hogs joined the SEC.

I remember the Hogs being #3 in the country behind Bama & LSU and Jimmy Johnson along with Switzer talking about the BCS rankings on FOX NFL.  Two super bowl winning coaches that were Hogs talking about the #3 Hogs in the NC conversation.  If I'd known it was so special I'd DVR'd it.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

RME

Quote from: rzrbkman on September 19, 2017, 10:48:26 am

He also won 26 in his first 3 years back at Louisville, and 2 this year.

Bret won 25 in 4 years, and 1 this year.

Your point?

rzrbkman

My point? The fact that he has lost 4 out of his last 6 games.

Pig Tymer

What a joke of thread topic. Bash back-to-back 10 and 11 win seasons and then "tell" posters they can't complain about our 7-5 ceiling we're currently experiencing. Petrino struggled to beat legit national championship contenders...what a scrub.

And the SEC was at it's height during his tenure. No one legitimately argued the SEC wasn't the top conference. The last 3 years have been down and it's getting worse each season. Last year, the SEC may have been the 3rd toughest conference.

Petrino's name is now watered down due to his firing at Arkansas. Yet, he has a program with less football prestige competing at a higher level than Arkansas.

RME

Quote from: rzrbkman on September 19, 2017, 10:57:09 am
My point? The fact that he has lost 4 out of his last 6 games.

And? So has Bielema.

PonderinHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 19, 2017, 09:21:52 am
In 2011 Alabama, LSU, and Arkansas went a combined 22-0 against the rest of the SEC.  In other words, the other nine teams in the conference were 22 games under .500 collectively.  On top of that, South Carolina, who finished 11-2 and #9 in the final AP poll despite being stomped by the Razorbacks, went 6-1 against the rest of its SEC schedule. 

The top four teams in the conference, all of which finished in the top 9 in the final polls, lost only one game all season...in conference or otherwise...to teams other than themselves.  Their cumulative SEC record was 28-1, 27 games over .500.

When the other eight conference members finish a combined 27 games under .500, how many of them can possibly have winning SEC records?  Is the nonsensical nature of the "only beat blah, blah, blah teams with winning conference records" stat beginning to come into a little better focus?  When you have maybe the three best teams in the nation...or maybe even the best four...and they only lose to each other, sheer math tells you that even if another team is one of the best 15-20 in the country they are probably going to have a losing conference record.  That's what we had in both 2010 and 2011, especially 2011.  Change Arkansas' 12-4 SEC record during those years to 2-14 and the odds are that there are going to be more teams with winning conference records.  After all, the entire rest of the conference just went 12 games over .500 instead of eight games under.
So, from this we can all conclude that the SEC and Petrino basically sucked and always have sucked.  Why is that so hard for you people to understand ???

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: gchamblee on September 19, 2017, 10:09:49 am
Just off the top of my head, he beat Florida last year convincingly. The years Ole Miss was cheating and even upsetting Bama Bret was beating them. He also destroyed LSU a couple years in a row, once at night in Death Valley which is hard to do. Ive stopped defending CBB but I'm not going to pretend none of the good has happened.

Florida was awful...he had to do something that week because Auburn had made him cry. The first time Ole Miss best player was out...the second time a miracle was needed...and LSU had Les who had went into his Be darned this is my show mood.

Look, Bret is inconsistent. It isn't going to change. Wisky fans warned us of this. He is a good time man and we are now seeing the change to Good time Charlies got the blues...and make no mistake, Waylon Jennings version of this song was definitely the best but I digress....

I do appreciate the fact that you are now walking the dog back but remaining coiled to tell someone you told them so....now straddling the whole affair....good job.

PRJ

Been10Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 19, 2017, 09:21:52 am

So Ole Miss went 0-8 in conference because Bama, LSU and us were so good? Where is the 0-8 Western Div foe we get to beat up on?

jcul28

JLS says coaching did have a little to do with those recruits that fell into CBP lap...

Been10Hog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on September 19, 2017, 09:31:20 am
What does that matter? The point is that they still won, and to my knowledge I don't remember very many games that Petrino lost when his team was obviously the more talented team. Maybe a couple in first season.

Now let's rub our brain cells together and see if we can come up with any games where Bielema lost when his team was obviously the more talented team. Bonus points if those losses included epic 4th quarter meltdowns.
Mizzou was a cluster and we gave up Va Tech. Hated it! But, we were not favored over Va Tech. You must be rubbing something together other than brain cells.

HF#1

Like him or not Petrino won ballgames and put us in a position to contend, in 3 short years. Something lard ass has yet to do and is likely not to do. I've changed my opinion in that I would have rather seen Petrino suspended and brought back rather than the hell we have gone through since he left.

I mean you could draw the conclusion that had he stayed we'd be riding the coat tails of Lamar Jackson, rather than Louisville.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: rzrbkman on September 19, 2017, 10:48:26 am

Bielema I believe has lost 4 of his last 6 games at Arkansas...

PRJ

Been10Hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 19, 2017, 10:52:44 am
He also won 26 in his first 3 years back at Louisville, and 2 this year.

Bret won 25 in 4 years, and 1 this year.

Your point?
Did he play Clemson and Florida State then? If he did you think Clemson and Florida St. are a little stronger now? He will never beat Clemson with their current talent just like he couldn't beat Bama. Receivers can't get separation from NFL DBs and OL can't hold out NFL pass rush. Same story

Been10Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on September 19, 2017, 12:12:20 pm
Like him or not Petrino won ballgames and put us in a position to contend, in 3 short years. Something lard ass has yet to do and is likely not to do. I've changed my opinion in that I would have rather seen Petrino suspended and brought back rather than the hell we have gone through since he left.

I mean you could draw the conclusion that had he stayed we'd be riding the coat tails of Lamar Jackson, rather than Louisville.
Seriously? Petrino never recruited a 4-5 star QB to Arkansas who wasn't dropped in his lap by being from Arkansas

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 12:16:31 pm
Did he play Clemson and Florida State then? If he did you think Clemson and Florida St. are a little stronger now? He will never beat Clemson with their current talent just like he couldn't beat Bama. Receivers can't get separation from NFL DBs and OL can't hold out NFL pass rush. Same story

I wouldn't care if he had never beaten Bama.  So long as he continued owning the rest of the league (and splitting the LSU series), I couldn't reasonably ask for more.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

You do know that Louisville handed Florida State their heads last year don't you??

jkstock04

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 12:09:08 pm
So Ole Miss went 0-8 in conference because Bama, LSU and us were so good? Where is the 0-8 Western Div foe we get to beat up on?
The past couple of years Mizzou is the closest thing. Other than beating us they have been awful.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RME

Okay so Clemson and Florida State right now are the Alabama and LSU/Auburn during his tenure here. He can lose to them and still win 9/10 games a year at Louisville, and challenge those two teams some years.

Call me crazy, but winning 9 games is more attractive to me than struggling to win 7.

Wildhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 19, 2017, 12:21:58 pm
The past couple of years Mizzou is the closest thing. Other than beating us they have been awful.

They were 3-8 when we played them, and winless in the SEC.  So we still get an SEC cupcake.  We just have trouble beating them.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jkstock04

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 12:23:23 pm
They were 3-8 when we played them, and winless in the SEC.  So we still get an SEC cupcake.  We just have trouble beating them.
Yep, there's his 0-8 conference type team he's looking for...except for beating us of course.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Wildhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 19, 2017, 12:26:39 pm
Yep, there's his 0-8 conference type team he's looking for...except for beating us of course.

Well, they did beat Vandy last year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

DoctorSusscrofa

I wish we could get Kelly and keep him for 7 years or more - if for no other reason than to finally get a coach nearly everyone thinks is the Man, so that we can find out for sure if such a coach REALLY can build and sustain a winning program at an elite level. I still believe no coach will ever win at an elite level here for more than 2-3 years at a time due to our recruiting base problems. But that will always be a debate until we get a coach that virtually everyone believes is elite and we keep him long enough to go through a complete cycle with his own recruits. Lou Holtz couldn't win double digits continuously. Holtz and Ken Hatfield won at decent clips but not against the same kind of competition we face now. Nutt did fairly well more years than not, but not to an elite level. And Petrino simply shot himself in the privates before he could prove that he could keep near elite status going. Yeah, he finished 5th one year and won double digits twice.  But the very best teams we played still beat us.  And there's no way the team BP left behind would have won 10 the next year.  NO POSSIBLE WAY. Even an 8 win season that year would have added 5 losses to his record. And it would have given him 3 years of average Hog seasons.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: HF#1 on September 19, 2017, 12:12:20 pm

You can draw that conclusion, but most can't.  There's no reason at all to believe Lamar Jackson comes to UA for Petrino.  That's just pure speculation.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

PonderinHog

Did Petrino, at Arkansas, ever lose to a team that we were favored to beat?  I don't think he did, but I could be mistaken.

Been10Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 19, 2017, 12:32:00 pm
Did Petrino, at Arkansas, ever lose to a team that we were favored to beat?  I don't think he did, but I could be mistaken.
Ole Miss twice, Miss St., Kentucky and South Carolina

IronHog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 19, 2017, 12:31:19 pm
You can draw that conclusion, but most can't.  There's no reason at all to believe Lamar Jackson comes to UA for Petrino.  That's just pure speculation.

Wouldn't need him....

IronHog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 19, 2017, 12:27:48 pm
I wish we could get Kelly and keep him for 7 years or more - if for no other reason than to finally get a coach nearly everyone thinks is the Man, so that we can find out for sure if such a coach REALLY can build and sustain a winning program at an elite level. I still believe no coach will ever win at an elite level here for more than 2-3 years at a time due to our recruiting base problems. But that will always be a debate until we get a coach that virtually everyone believes is elite and we keep him long enough to go through a complete cycle with his own recruits. Lou Holtz couldn't win double digits continuously. Holtz and Ken Hatfield won at decent clips but not against the same kind of competition we face now. Nutt did fairly well more years than not, but not to an elite level. And Petrino simply shot himself in the privates before he could prove that he could keep near elite status going. Yeah, he finished 5th one year and won double digits twice.  But the very best teams we played still beat us.  And there's no way the team BP left behind would have won 10 the next year.  NO POSSIBLE WAY. Even an 8 win season that year would have added 5 losses to his record. And it would have given him 3 years of average Hog seasons.

You still pushing the BP left nothing narriative?