Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reggie Perry has officially decommited

Started by BannerMountainMan, June 24, 2017, 05:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 19, 2017, 08:38:04 am
One of the arguments for keeping Mike when people were losing their heads after the Vanderbilt and Mizzou losses was that we would "definitely" lose Reggie Perry.
I wonder where Joe is.....
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hogsanity

Quote from: bkjbearcat on July 19, 2017, 10:28:03 am
I wonder where Joe is.....

Been hugging the bathroom throne puking for 2 days since the latest loss by the program.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Slater

One of the arguments for keeping Mike when people were losing their heads after the Vanderbilt and Mizzou losses was that we would "definitely" lose Reggie Perry.

Do you feel based on the 2016-17 season Mike should have been fired?
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Slater on July 19, 2017, 11:21:38 am
Do you feel based on the 2016-17 season Mike should have been fired?

That's not what he said. What he said was, when last season looked like it was going to tank, the argument from the Mike PR team was that if he were fired, we'd surely lose Perry and probably most of that signing class.  Basically the cry was we better keep Mike, no matter what, or we'd lose a class that wasn't going to even sign for another 2 years. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

azhog10

To be fair, DEFINITELY means without a doubt. We did manage to hold on to him until about 4 months from him being able to sign......

I get people being frustrated, but losing Reggie goes way deeper than anything Mike could control. Also, our performance this next season will go a long way to what needs to be done for the future. Reggie was a one year guy. Did we have a chance at a final four run with him? Maybe, but losing him doesn't mean we have no shot at making a run in the NCAAT.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on July 18, 2017, 02:27:58 pm
Cheating has gone on forever. They were cheating in Nolan's day too.
Do we have all day? We could go through the history books and walk through each decade talking about schools to get hit with sanctions.
Wasn't even Kentucky busted in the late 80s?
There were point-shaving scandals in the 1950s.
There is nothing new under the sun.
So Mike should join in on the fun? Just because everybody else is doing it?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 19, 2017, 12:51:43 pm
No, I believe the question was did I not think some people were cheating today. The implication of the question was, look what Mike is up against...a lot of cheating.
The answer was, I'm sure there are cheaters today. But that is nothing new. There has always been cheating in college sports
It's not any different today than previous decades.
The book Raw Recruits came out in 1990. Smack in the middle of Nolan's era. It didn't seem to slow him down too much at the time. Unless you think he was cheating too, which I don't.

Jim Harris

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 17, 2017, 03:28:19 pm
Dude! Kentucky raids EVERYBODY! Heck I'm so glad the state now produces the type of player that Kentucky wants. Your recollection of history is...different I don't recall Nolan beating KY in recruiting now he did beat them on the floor some but I don't recall Nolan taking players from KY. By the way Mike is 4-7 against Kentucky and had a 3 game win streak against them. Nolan 7-12.

Nolan outrecruited Tubby/Kentucky for Jannero Pargo.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: hogsanity on July 17, 2017, 11:44:14 am
YEa, so much closer to dad than Fayetteville.

well, Fayetteville is about 8 hours drive to Starkville, which is 7 hours to Thomasville, Ga., so it's significantly closer. And, yes, it's Al Perry's alma mater.

Something definitely happened between the feel-good "we want to play together" deal the Hawks all had after last summer, and this summer, in which the Hawks didn't seem quite as good overall. And then came his trip without the Hawks to Italy.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

NWAHog479

Quote from: Jim Harris on July 20, 2017, 03:04:09 pm
well, Fayetteville is about 8 hours drive to Starkville, which is 7 hours to Thomasville, Ga., so it's significantly closer. And, yes, it's Al Perry's alma mater.

Something definitely happened between the feel-good "we want to play together" deal the Hawks all had after last summer, and this summer, in which the Hawks didn't seem quite as good overall. And then came his trip without the Hawks to Italy.

Jim, can you confirm that his father has an actual illness?

LR_Matt

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 19, 2017, 12:51:43 pm

How do we know he isn't and is just bad at that too.

Slater

Hopefully someone with the morality of Hugh Freeze will be available, get rid of Anderson, 26 crappy wins and no scandals, no need for him. Dave Bliss sounds like a win win for some on here
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

LR_Matt

Quote from: The ColonelHog on July 15, 2017, 11:30:43 pm
You people are pretty short minded and basically ignorant to team sports.  If you think losing one player in a team sport will drag a program down, that explains how little understanding of the game you have.  Get it through your thick skulls, one and dones don't improve programs!  See U.K.!  When was the last time their one and done roster won a NC?  Stop it!  You are showing your lack of sports IQ in this thread!

2012.... I think that's a heck of a lot more recent than 1994 but hey, keep living in the 90's :'(

Youngsta71701

Quote from: LR_Matt on July 20, 2017, 09:57:40 pm
How do we know he isn't and is just bad at that too.
Usually where there's smoke there's fire. Have you seen or heard any smoke around him?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Slater on July 20, 2017, 10:04:18 pm
Hopefully someone with the morality of Hugh Freeze will be available, get rid of Anderson, 26 crappy wins and no scandals, no need for him. Dave Bliss sounds like a win win for some on here
Morals and values don't mean anything anymore with some of these cats. "Just Win Baby" at all cost.

RacinRazorback

Lets just forget about Perry and move on! We will replace him and we will play the schedule without him! Just like I said with Monk, if he don't want to be a Razorback then I don't want him to be one, lets cut bait and get on with it. Let him suffer in mid Mississippi!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on July 18, 2017, 01:29:21 pm
in the last 3 seasons he's been no. 19 in the Country In recruiting. So I'm not sure that's average
Not to mention the wins and the winning percentage. I'm sure that's better than average also. The last time I checked average in sports was .500.

hogsanity

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 21, 2017, 06:14:03 am
Morals and values don't mean anything anymore with some of these cats. "Just Win Baby" at all cost.

I've said all along Mike has never had a inkling of scandal around him, nor have I ever said it is win at all cost.

What I have said is that if you are fine with being a mid seed and winning a game or two in the ncaat every once in a while, and when things fall just right, maybe even make the sweet 16, Mike is the PERFECT guy for that. Mike, however, is not going to build a perennial sweet 16 program, nor one that is a real threat to go farther than that in any season. 

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 21, 2017, 09:54:36 am
I've said all along Mike has never had a inkling of scandal around him, nor have I ever said it is win at all cost.

What I have said is that if you are fine with being a mid seed and winning a game or two in the ncaat every once in a while, and when things fall just right, maybe even make the sweet 16, Mike is the PERFECT guy for that. Mike, however, is not going to build a perennial sweet 16 program, nor one that is a real threat to go farther than that in any season. 

Two things occurred to me today, well 2 games really.  The UNC tourney game in Basketball and the Bama game in football year before last i think where we lost 14-13.

With everything that schools like UNC in basketball and Bama in football have going for them Arkansas and all it's built in limitations "almost" beat them and yes i realize moral victories blah blah blah, but the fact is that both of those games were winnable and that is all i can really ask, that we are "there" in that moment sometimes the ball bounces your way (Henry heave anyone?) sometimes it doesn't

To remain the great school we are, IMHO we will never become a Bama or a UNC, but that doesn't mean we can't win and do common sense things to win.

Otis

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on July 18, 2017, 01:29:21 pm
in the last 3 seasons he's been no. 19 in the Country In recruiting. So I'm not sure that's average

Then it's a coaching problem??  Because we sure haven't been anywhere near a top 20 team the last 3 years.

311Hog

Quote from: Otis on July 21, 2017, 10:50:54 am
Then it's a coaching problem??  Because we sure haven't been anywhere near a top 20 team the last 3 years.

really ? i feel we were a top 20  team last year.  Losing Perry hurts, but IMHO perhaps it works in our favor, gives the team something to rally/bond around.

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on July 21, 2017, 10:45:58 am
Two things occurred to me today, well 2 games really.  The UNC tourney game in Basketball and the Bama game in football year before last i think where we lost 14-13.

With everything that schools like UNC in basketball and Bama in football have going for them Arkansas and all it's built in limitations "almost" beat them and yes i realize moral victories blah blah blah, but the fact is that both of those games were winnable and that is all i can really ask, that we are "there" in that moment sometimes the ball bounces your way (Henry heave anyone?) sometimes it doesn't

To remain the great school we are, IMHO we will never become a Bama or a UNC, but that doesn't mean we can't win and do common sense things to win.

But now we are back to one of my biggest peeves about Hogville and Hog fans, we throw out the word " win " but it seems to never get defined. One might say the football team won last year because they won more games than they lost. The basketball team won last year because they won many more games than they lost. But, in the end, that is not how programs are judged. In basketball they are judged by what they do in the ncaat, like it or not that is what college bball has become. Last year the hogs won a ncaat game and then lost in the 2nd round. No one cares that it was close, or that there were some bad calls down the stretch ( no one outside of Arkansas fans anyway still care about it ), in the books the ncaat record was 1-1. Over the last 6 years they have 2 ncaat wins. That is not the mark of a good program in the eyes of most who follow college bball.

311Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 21, 2017, 10:57:32 am
But now we are back to one of my biggest peeves about Hogville and Hog fans, we throw out the word " win " but it seems to never get defined. One might say the football team won last year because they won more games than they lost. The basketball team won last year because they won many more games than they lost. But, in the end, that is not how programs are judged. In basketball they are judged by what they do in the ncaat, like it or not that is what college bball has become. Last year the hogs won a ncaat game and then lost in the 2nd round. No one cares that it was close, or that there were some bad calls down the stretch ( no one outside of Arkansas fans anyway still care about it ), in the books the ncaat record was 1-1. Over the last 6 years they have 2 ncaat wins. That is not the mark of a good program in the eyes of most who follow college bball.

This brings me to one of mine.

What does it matter? In the grand scheme of things Arkansas is an after thought in EVERYTHING at best.  We have a National Championship Basketball team did anyone really care besides people in Arkansas? nope.  We have a US President did anyone really care besides Arkansans ? nope.

One thing i have learned is that no one NOT ONE single person that isn't an Arkansan cares what we do and will never give us the "respect" some seem to be seeking.  I say this not to insinuate that it is hopeless and we shouldn't try, no i say this because even if we do it what ever "it" is, people will move on because it is Arkansas.  We could win he next 10 National titles and the accomplishment would be ignored by the population at large.  Who are you wanting to brag to? lol

If you are asking me am i happy being the team that "should" have beaten the eventual National Champion? yes to some degree i am, because it sure as darn beats being the team that didn't even make the tourney. 

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on July 21, 2017, 11:06:20 am
This brings me to one of mine.

What does it matter? In the grand scheme of things Arkansas is an after thought in EVERYTHING at best.  We have a National Championship Basketball team did anyone really care besides people in Arkansas? nope.  We have a US President did anyone really care besides Arkansans ? nope.

One thing i have learned is that no one NOT ONE single person that isn't an Arkansan cares what we do and will never give us the "respect" some seem to be seeking.  I say this not to insinuate that it is hopeless and we shouldn't try, no i say this because even if we do it what ever "it" is, people will move on because it is Arkansas.  We could win he next 10 National titles and the accomplishment would be ignored by the population at large.  Who are you wanting to brag to? lol

If you are asking me am i happy being the team that "should" have beaten the eventual National Champion? yes to some degree i am, because it sure as darn beats being the team that didn't even make the tourney. 

To take it a little further , and I agree with your post, what does it really matter who wins any game to anyone other than those playing? Does a college team winning a game really change anything in the grand scheme of the world?

As I get older I have become less rabid. Yes, I post here alot, but I know those posts are meaningless 99% of the time ( gotta give me 1% hope that something I say is good ).  Last year I watched fewer Hog games, and fewer college games in general than ever before. Why? I had a high school SR that I wanted to go watch play in his band. I had a 8th grader who needed shuttled around, who we hosted his youth group in our home, who was playing baseball and who I wanted to spend time with. I also started working youth league football games with a couple buddies of mine on Sat afternoon/evening and we had a good time doing that. Yea, I could have given up alot of that to watch the Hogs, but ti just was not that important to me to do so.  Other than entertainment, I GET NOTHING ELSE whether they win or lose.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on July 21, 2017, 10:57:32 am
Define winning in college football then?

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on July 21, 2017, 11:15:07 am
  Other than entertainment, I GET NOTHING ELSE whether they win or lose.
If it's about entertainment, were you not entertained?

Jim Harris

Quote from: NWAHog479 on July 20, 2017, 03:16:31 pm
Jim, can you confirm that his father has an actual illness?

His wife said three weeks ago that he did. Perry told Fitz Hill and Billy Ingram that as well.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Otis on July 21, 2017, 10:50:54 am
27 wins in 2014-15
26 wins in 2016-17

Enough said.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on July 21, 2017, 11:45:06 am
Define winning in college football then?

To me, in college football, winning is having a winning record because that gets you something. It gets you a bowl, which gets you an extra game and 15 more practices. Is going to the Independence Bowl in Shreveport a big deal? Not really, but it is better than not going at all. Same as in college basketball, I define winning as making the ncaat, guess you could throw the NIT in as well.

But that is MY definition. For the sake of discussion here I would be happy if we had a Hogville definition because at least then when someone says " Coach so and so just inst winning enough " we'd know what constitutes winning for the purpose of comparison.

Otis

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Otis on July 21, 2017, 12:56:09 pm
We're we a top 20 team?  Enough said
Were* proper English makes you sound smarter, which you're not.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Otis

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on July 21, 2017, 02:04:31 pm
Were* proper English makes you sound smarter, which you're not.

Still waiting for your answer. Making personal attacks, to deflect from not having any coherent response, shows the weakness of your opinion.

311Hog

Quote from: Otis on July 21, 2017, 02:13:32 pm
Still waiting for your answer. Making personal attacks, to deflect from not having any coherent response, shows the weakness of your opinion.

Top 30 last year Top 20 in 2014 -2015 so there is that....

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2015/week/4/seasontype/3

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/week/4/seasontype/3

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on July 21, 2017, 12:51:46 pm
To me, in college football, winning is having a winning record because that gets you something. It gets you a bowl, which gets you an extra game and 15 more practices. Is going to the Independence Bowl in Shreveport a big deal? Not really, but it is better than not going at all. Same as in college basketball, I define winning as making the ncaat, guess you could throw the NIT in as well.

But that is MY definition. For the sake of discussion here I would be happy if we had a Hogville definition because at least then when someone says " Coach so and so just inst winning enough " we'd know what constitutes winning for the purpose of comparison.
So a bowl in football is the same as making the NCAAT? This is why I can't have this conversation with you. Just having a winning record in football is winning. But winning 20 plus games in basketball ( greater win% than just one game over .500) is not the same. I can't even begin to go into just how stupid that rationale is.

King Kong

Otis

Quote from: King Kong on July 21, 2017, 06:37:59 pm
2014-2015 we were. You may want to do some research before posting and showing your ignorance

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2015/week/4/seasontype/3

One year out of 6, not to shabby. We should hang a banner for making it to the round of 32.

311Hog

Quote from: Otis on July 21, 2017, 09:12:44 pm
One year out of 6, not to shabby. We should hang a banner for making it to the round of 32.

yeah I guess you could look at it that way, or you could think we are top 30 2 outa the last 3 years.  The last being we took the eventual national champion to the limit and could argue we won that game.  We have a lot of that team coming back with good young players to add.

There is honestly nothing to be sad about outside of the fact a big time recruit changed his mind under some shady circumstances.  but if you look it appears that AR prep basketball is on the rise, and all MA has to do is harness even some of those kids.  I am not saying we will return to being a national champion but we aren't horrible.

King Kong

Quote from: Otis on July 21, 2017, 09:12:44 pm

Maybe you be more impressed if you actually knew facts. Like that we were a top 20 after claimed we haven't been close the last 3 years

Otis

Quote from: King Kong on July 22, 2017, 04:05:47 am
Maybe you be more impressed if you actually knew facts. Like that we were a top 20 after claimed we haven't been close the last 3 years

My point was, people claiming Mike is a good recruiter, stating our average class ranking the last 3 years was 19th. How if he's such a good recruiter then it must be a coaching problem because our last 3 seasons average ranking is nowhere near top 20, or top 30 or top 40 for that matter. The posters claiming he's a good recruiter and a good coach, where does the problem lie then?

311Hog

Quote from: Otis on July 22, 2017, 09:08:31 am
My point was, people claiming Mike is a good recruiter, stating our average class ranking the last 3 years was 19th. How if he's such a good recruiter then it must be a coaching problem because our last 3 seasons average ranking is nowhere near top 20, or top 30 or top 40 for that matter. The posters claiming he's a good recruiter and a good coach, where does the problem lie then?

but your point is wrong is what people are trying to tell you it is math.

in the last 3 years is the sample size you are talking about so 20 th 3 years ago, year before last it is hard to gauge because we collapsed down the stretch lets just say out of what 100 ish D1 teams we were 60 th, then last year we were 30th. You add those 3 numbers together and divide by 3 and you get something like 36 so we "are somewhere near" the top 30 or to 40 for that matter.  And he and (for a large part everyone not a blue blood) have struggled to land the big 5 star player from out of state, hell and even the ones from in state, BUT look at his rankings EVEN missing out on Monk, Allen, Perry his classes are still in the teens, and the future classes from within AR state are all really highly regarded.  This is SUCH a better situation then what Beliema has to deal with as he would never get a top 20 recruiting class just from instate guys alone.

AirWarren

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on July 21, 2017, 12:16:30 pm
27 wins in 2014-15
26 wins in 2016-17

Enough said.

But hey man...."You don't understand" the point here.

Give me a freaking break with all the MA hate. Some of these folks on this website are just plain ignorant.

hawgfan4life

I wish moderators were as strict on all categories as they are in Omaha.  The entire board would be so much better.

songofthesword

my dad played for parkview.  i would have given my left nutt to play for parkview just like my dad. i wore his number all throughout my bball days.

hogsanity

Quote from: AP85 on July 22, 2017, 10:36:53 am
But hey man...."You don't understand" the point here.

Give me a freaking break with all the MA hate. Some of these folks on this website are just plain ignorant.

What did 27 and 26 wins get them in the grand scheme of college basketball? A 5 seed and a win over Winthrop, and a 8 seed and a win over Seton Hall. In todays college basketball that just meh. Certainly not terrible, but definitely not great.

But what has many people luke warm is we have not gottne what we were promised. We were promised hard nosed " pick em up when they get off the bus " defense, fast paced offense and for the most part we've gotten neither. To win last year Mike had to go to a zone, with almost no pressure, and the offense should have been ticketed for loitering many times during his tenure.

And just stop with the "MA hate" garbage ( your guys code for racism ). Not one person here hates Mike Anderson the man. Everyone acknowledges from all angles he seems to be a great guy. He just is not a great coach.

TNhawgfan

Top 30 team 2 of the last 3 years...that's a great stat for today's everyone gets a trophy and juice box mentality
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

hogsanity

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 24, 2017, 12:38:02 pm
Top 30 team 2 of the last 3 years...that's a great stat for today's everyone gets a trophy and juice box mentality

Whats funny is most of these guys will tell you winning in football is being top 25 most years, but in bball finding some metric to claim top 30 or so means Mike's doing great.

AirWarren

July 24, 2017, 01:07:13 pm #546 Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:22:02 pm by AP85
Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 24, 2017, 12:38:02 pm

We have so many sec titles and national titles in the trophy case. We should be used to the participation trophies and Juice boxes.

I guess we can cling onto that 1964 "title" and 1994.

zebradynasty

Quote from: hogsanity on July 24, 2017, 10:02:00 am
What did 27 and 26 wins get them in the grand scheme of college basketball? A 5 seed and a win over Winthrop, and a 8 seed and a win over Seton Hall. In todays college basketball that just meh. Certainly not terrible, but definitely not great.

But what has many people luke warm is we have not gottne what we were promised. We were promised hard nosed " pick em up when they get off the bus " defense, fast paced offense and for the most part we've gotten neither. To win last year Mike had to go to a zone, with almost no pressure, and the offense should have been ticketed for loitering many times during his tenure.

And just stop with the "MA hate" garbage ( your guys code for racism ). Not one person here hates Mike Anderson the man. Everyone acknowledges from all angles he seems to be a great guy. He just is not a great coach.

What "GREAT" coach should we hire? I assume you know one that would interested in coming to Arkansas.

hogsanity

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 24, 2017, 01:33:44 pm
What "GREAT" coach should we hire? I assume you know one that would interested in coming to Arkansas.

Where did I say fire Mike? We'd have to do that before we could search for a "great" coach. But ok, I'll play along. Was Nolan GREAT when he was hired by JFB? Was Bobby Knight great before he was hired at Indiana? Coach K at Duke. Was Eddie GREAT when JFB hired him from Creighton?

Every great coach had a job or jobs BEFORE they became "great".

And, before anyone says it, Mike has had 3 HC jobs, and he has been GOOD at all, but great at none. At his age it is doubtful he is ever going to be more than that.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Otis on July 21, 2017, 12:56:09 pm
We're we a top 20 team?  Enough said
So now Mike has to control what the voters think as well? Sounds about right, keep on raising the bar.