Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas offense prepares defense for '08

Started by fu-man-soo, August 13, 2008, 08:36:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggish1

Quote from: fu-man-soo on August 13, 2008, 08:36:52 am
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=445041

"I have been really impressed with Casey on how much his technique has improved and how coachable he is," Petrino said. "I'm excited about our running backs, there's going to be some young speed. Guys who work hard."

WTH?  LMAO!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: fu-man-soo on August 13, 2008, 08:36:52 am
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=445041

I like this and it is true. It confirms just what many of us have believed, that going against this offense may be a bit overwhelming for the defense, but it is preparing them to be better when the games start. And hats off to CD. I am glad he is getting the coaching he should have been getting for the past 3 years. I hope he does so well this year that he sticks it right up the arse's of all the naysayers.
Go Hogs Go!

silverhawg

nutt coaches qb's to his one and only style...doesn't work well for qb's that fall out of his style..Petrino coaches to his qb's strengths....so cd will be better than he's ever been..& he was pretty damn good in high school...

The Slop Nazi

Sounds like these coaches haven't had too much trouble of un-teaching Casey the Nutt art of the telegraphed hand-off.

idochog

Quote from: The Slop Nazi on August 13, 2008, 11:05:54 am
Sounds like these coaches haven't had too much trouble of un-teaching Casey the Nutt art of the telegraphed hand-off.

Casey has been taught more football in 9 months than Nutt taught him in 3+ years, kinda scary isnt it
I love Jesus!

GuvHog

Quote from: jimmiekersh on August 13, 2008, 10:55:35 am
IF this defense ever catches up to this offense, the sky is the limit for the Hogs.

This defense may never catch up to this Offense............If I were a betting man (I'm not) I'd bet
they get awfully close though!!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

toozakpig

This the reason why I have laughed when people have come on the board and screamed "bloody murder" about the defense. Yes we have depth problems but the fact is nutt is not here anymore. First team against first team. Remember, BP said that practice will be much harder than the game. Speed, speed, speed during practice will slow the game down. They will throw everything at the defense at once. Then when it comes down to prepping for the game. They will make it simple. At the moment the dc is simply trying to see who can play and who can pick things up.

PennHOG

I was glad to read that they will use the bliz fewer times.  I can't even begin to count how many times Herring would bring the bliz only to see someone like John Parker Wilson torch us because he was smart enough to pick it up.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Feralhog

Here's a quote from Antwon Robinson...."Everybody's going 100 mph on the practice field," said Antwain Robinson, the defensive end. "When you get done the only thing you can think about is laying your head down on a pillow and going to sleep."...

I'm a little disappointed.  Where's the quotes from coach Robinson talking about players like Antwon showing up in a bad mood?  Nufin about playing speed on speed, nufin about guts, nufin about having a heart or anything. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Feralhog on August 13, 2008, 11:57:31 am
Here's a quote from Antwon Robinson...."Everybody's going 100 mph on the practice field," said Antwain Robinson, the defensive end. "When you get done the only thing you can think about is laying your head down on a pillow and going to sleep."...

I'm a little disappointed.  Where's the quotes from coach Robinson talking about players like Antwon showing up in a bad mood?  Nufin about playing speed on speed, nufin about guts, nufin about having a heart or anything. 

I know that when I played........being worn smooth out and not being able to focus on anything but football, kept many of us out of trouble because we didn't have the energy or time to go out. I am very happy to hear this.
Go Hogs Go!

Feralhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 13, 2008, 12:11:29 pm
I know that when I played........being worn smooth out and not being able to focus on anything but football, kept many of us out of trouble because we didn't have the energy or time to go out. I am very happy to hear this.
Did you show up in bad moods?
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

akp4105

Regardless, Coaching IS a major tool in football, and some players can be coached better than others who are more athletic. I will give you all that. But when the players are simply not talented enough and you pair that with inexperience.. it doesnt look good at all. I understand the different coaching techniques to try to get players ready for games. I REALLY hope this works. I love Coach Petrino and his staff.. I'm glad they are here at the University of Arkansas. BUT, some of you are CRAZY to think that these coaches can change a players talent and athleticism...especially in Spring and Fall practice.  You think that AUTOMATICALLY, since Bobby Petrino is the coach of the Razorbacks that we will be very successful this year and have a record of 8-4 or better. I think Petrino is a better coach than Nutt. I dont think he can change a players talent and athleticism.. pair that with inexperience.. not good. THE PLAYERS ARE ON THE FIELD. We have very little talent in our back 7 on defense, and the talent we have is very young, raw and inexperienced. The offense will see bumps this year, but the defense will not be good. This is the SEC, not high school or D2 football where you can hide lack of talent or speed or depth. The defense will struggle this year, and it will help us in the next couple of years. To yall who think this will be successful year.. reevaluate, are you just hyped about the new coaching staff or are you looking at the players on the field. Give it some time. We will be lucky to win 6 games this year.

Feralhog

Quote from: akp4105 on August 13, 2008, 12:47:45 pm
Regardless, Coaching IS a major tool in football, and some players can be coached better than others who are more athletic. I will give you all that. But when the players are simply not talented enough and you pair that with inexperience.. it doesnt look good at all. I understand the different coaching techniques to try to get players ready for games. I REALLY hope this works. I love Coach Petrino and his staff.. I'm glad they are here at the University of Arkansas. BUT, some of you are CRAZY to think that these coaches can change a players talent and athleticism...especially in Spring and Fall practice.  You think that AUTOMATICALLY, since Bobby Petrino is the coach of the Razorbacks that we will be very successful this year and have a record of 8-4 or better. I think Petrino is a better coach than Nutt. I dont think he can change a players talent and athleticism.. pair that with inexperience.. not good. THE PLAYERS ARE ON THE FIELD. We have very little talent in our back 7 on defense, and the talent we have is very young, raw and inexperienced. The offense will see bumps this year, but the defense will not be good. This is the SEC, not high school or D2 football where you can hide lack of talent or speed or depth. The defense will struggle this year, and it will help us in the next couple of years. To yall who think this will be successful year.. reevaluate, are you just hyped about the new coaching staff or are you looking at the players on the field. Give it some time. We will be lucky to win 6 games this year.
BP doesn't seem overlyconcerned about the level of talent.  We need to remember that talented players regressed under our last coach, plus we didn't always have the best players on the field. I don't think there's anyway in hell anyone outside of this coaching staff, knows what the actual level of talent is.  Even LB, the concern is about size not talent. 

ckhawgu

Quote from: akp4105 on August 13, 2008, 12:47:45 pm

akp.. no offense meant but you're a glass half empty kind of guy aren't you? Me, I'm just CRAZY! ;-)

akp4105

August 13, 2008, 01:10:09 pm #15 Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:12:25 pm by akp4105
Quote from: ckhawgu on August 13, 2008, 01:03:54 pm
akp.. no offense meant but you're a glass half empty kind of guy aren't you? Me, I'm just CRAZY! ;-)

LOL Nah, I'm not.. I can just see past the hype of having the new head coach and staff here this year. I'm not taking a shot at you saying that, I know you want us to win just as bad as I do. Just dont be blinded by the hype of a new coaching staff. It's plain and simple... We wont be very good this year. The talent just isnt there. I believe Coach Petrino will be a very good coach for the Hogs, and will put us in the best position to win ball games. In 2 or 3 years I expect us to be very good.. a BCS birth... I believe he'll have his system with his players in place. That is the time.. I dont expect much from this team because its a first year system on offense with players that were undereducated in a football standpoint.. and on defense we just arent very talented or experienced. On the bright side of things, these unexperienced players will gain some experience this year, and we'll find a couple players who can become very talented football players. This year will be tough, and I know that hurts a lot of feelings.. but I just cant sit here and say we'll win 8 or more games.. I think 6 is the number.. If we can get to 6 then Petrino did a Helluva job with this group.

jpenrod1

Our team has talent, it is depth thats the problem, and was under nutt.

In Nutts time here we would almost always start out good, beat a team like Texas early go on a streak and be ranked. But as soon as someone like Matt Jones, Cobbs, Talley, D-Mac, or felix gets hurt. we start losing games. We always had questions on D (at LB and DB). We always had questions about the QB.

the thing that is different this year is BP O does not lean on one player. Yes we will have things to overcome on the D but they wont be any worse than last year. I dont see how they could be. If our D Line can put pressure on the other team the way Jamal Anderson did we will be fine.

jgphillips3

Another thing that I think is important to remember is that the coaches are taking scripted situation to expose flaws in the offensive and defensive players.  They are giving the offense plays that will expose the defense and then turning the defense loose with the exact right defense for the offensive play so that each side can see where the real strengths and weaknesses of this team are.  They are honest to God COACHING this team.  I think we will all be proud of the way they acquit themselves this season.  Yeah, it may not be the most wins we ever had in a season, but I think we will be proud of these players every time they leave the field.

hogcoots

I think that we may scare some people this year and I don't think any team will take us for granted any longer.  I also don't think our schedule lines up very well for a great win/loss record.  But, I do remain optimistic and maybe admittedly even a little giddy.  My expectations are high and I have waited a long time to have that feeling.  I refuse to give up before we have even tee'd the ball up this year.  I vote that we shoot for 12-0 every year from here on out.

cbjagman

Quote from: Feralhog on August 13, 2008, 12:55:10 pm
BP doesn't seem overlyconcerned about the level of talent.  We need to remember that talented players regressed under our last coach, plus we didn't always have the best players on the field. I don't think there's anyway in hell anyone outside of this coaching staff, knows what the actual level of talent is.  Even LB, the concern is about size not talent. 
IMO,as I've stated before, whatever talent BP has (and he's not totally without skills/talent on this team) he will get the most out of it. Could be cupboard be more full; absolutely it could be. However, I believe that his approach to practice and his using the first team "O" against first team "D" will pay big dividends, particularly earlier in the year when these kids are trying to execute a new system.                                                                      By the way, I still believe we are going to give one or two teams a rude awaking this year. If it's close near the end of the game this preparation is definitely going to be invaluable.

jgphillips3

Quote from: hogcoots on August 13, 2008, 02:26:29 pmI vote that we shoot for 12-0 every year from here on out.

The funny thing about that statement is that is exactly what Petrino is doing.  I think it is safe to say that our "optimistic" expectations of a 6-6 or 7-5 season are anathema to him.  He expects to win every time he hits the field.  Sooner or later, that will rub off on the team, the talent will be in place and look out for Arkansas.

PorkSoda

Quote from: jpenrod1 on August 13, 2008, 01:11:37 pm
Our team has talent, it is depth thats the problem, and was under nutt.

In Nutts time here we would almost always start out good, beat a team like Texas early go on a streak and be ranked. But as soon as someone like Matt Jones, Cobbs, Talley, D-Mac, or felix gets hurt. we start losing games. We always had questions on D (at LB and DB). We always had questions about the QB.

the thing that is different this year is BP O does not lean on one player. Yes we will have things to overcome on the D but they wont be any worse than last year. I dont see how they could be. If our D Line can put pressure on the other team the way Jamal Anderson did we will be fine.
I agree, while depth is an issue on the defensive side of the ball, Petrino has many weapons on the offense side.  Unlike Nutt who would basically ignore the second and third team, Petrino will have guys ready to step in if there is an injury.  Even if Casey was injured, we would not be screwed.  Nathan has been coming a long and Petrino is even telling the freshmen to practice like they are going to play, because they very well might be.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogcoots on August 13, 2008, 02:26:29 pm
I think that we may scare some people this year and I don't think any team will take us for granted any longer.  I also don't think our schedule lines up very well for a great win/loss record.  But, I do remain optimistic and maybe admittedly even a little giddy.  My expectations are high and I have waited a long time to have that feeling.  I refuse to give up before we have even tee'd the ball up this year.  I vote that we shoot for 12-0 every year from here on out.
Thats the thing about this schedule.  Besides the first 2 teams and Ole Miss, we will be facing talented teams week in and week out.  That will keep us playing at a high level.  I always hated playing teams like ULM in the middle of the season, because it would give the team a false since of security, then they would return to the SEC and get a reality check.  So I actually think our schedule is set up perfectly for our team to earn their stripes so to say.  This could be like a few years ago when we had the second toughest schedule in the nation. we went like 4-7, but were literally like 6-8 points away from 7-4.  Add a coach that doesn't make stupid spastic decisions, and we win some of those games.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

oldguy

We're seeing freshmen step up and be impact players in every sport, why should ours be any different?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Feralhog on August 13, 2008, 12:22:51 pm
Did you show up in bad moods?

If I did, I kept it to myself and took it out on whomever I went up against in practice.
Go Hogs Go!