Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey just got SCHOOLED!!!!

Started by Hoggy1, January 02, 2010, 01:05:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LA Football fan

Marshaun Powell is better than any name you just mentioned but nice try.  If Britt hits a WIDE open three on the other end it doesn't matter what UAB was going to do.  I agree though, with only 2.2 seconds on the clock, you make sure you set your defense to eliminate any chance of a pass under the goal.  Why Washington wasn't told to stay under the goal and contest any attempt to get a layup is beyond me.  You have to make them beat you with an outside jump shot.

Razorpigg

If you read any of my previous posts I have been a firm supporter of giving Pelphrey the time needed to put his team together.  With that being said.... Listen... Just as one of the previous posters said...You CANNOT run a man to man defense underneath your opponents basket with 2 freakin secs left!! I almost fell in the floor and yelled out loud so much that I think I actually frightened some of our customers.  That was, to take a word from FCJ, "pitiful".  When Pelphrey called that timeout, I would wager the farm that in NO WAY did Mike Davis think we would come out in a freakin man to man defense. I bet he pissed down both legs when he saw us set up m2m.  Im speechless right now. 

userpick

Quote from: L.A. on January 02, 2010, 01:06:52 pm
who runs man 2 man on out of bounds under your own basket??????

exactly..

SunshinePumper

January 02, 2010, 03:36:50 pm #53 Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 03:39:29 pm by SunshinePumper
Quote from: LA Football fan on January 02, 2010, 02:48:34 pm
Marshaun Powell is better than any name you just mentioned but nice try. 

you're reaching if you think powell is already better than Brewer or Weems.  Those guys are starting or near starting in the NBA.  Powell has played a dozen games in college.  Who else has Pel recruited?  Is Powell the only good player Pel brought to campus?  You seriously cannot believe Pel has proven to be a better recruiter than Heath.  Get legit bro.
Huggers Laid to Rest:
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=325641.0
Quote from: Breems on February 27, 2010, 11:31:16 pm
I believe Pel deserves at least 2 more years to get some post players in to accompany our decent backcourt.  If he can't get us to the NCAAT in 2 years then I'll definitely change my mind.
Quote from: Breems on March 12, 2010, 07:28:31 am
I understand giving a coach time, but giving Pel time will solve NOTHING.

V B Porkers

Well I go back to the Glen Rose and Duddy Waller days and this coaching staff ranks right down there with them in my view.

LA Football fan

January 02, 2010, 04:45:26 pm #55 Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:47:59 pm by LA Football fan
Powell is a freshman and is far ahead of where Weems and Brewer were as freshman so don't go comparing a freshman with what they are now in the NBA.  You are the one that needs to get legit.  I never said he was a better recruiter I just proved your quote that Pel never recruited anyone better than the players you listed as being wrong but keep reaching!  I also believe he will have a far better NBA career when he gets there. 
Quote from: SunshinePumper on January 02, 2010, 03:36:50 pm
you're reaching if you think powell is already better than Brewer or Weems.  Those guys are starting or near starting in the NBA.  Powell has played a dozen games in college.  Who else has Pel recruited?  Is Powell the only good player Pel brought to campus?  You seriously cannot believe Pel has proven to be a better recruiter than Heath.  Get legit bro.

arcowboy

Quote from: dpan on January 02, 2010, 01:20:17 pm
I understand you may not like Pel, but Nolan lost on last second plays.  Eddie lost some last second plays.  The personal stuff is just mean-spirited.  I hate seeing or hearing the Hogs lose more than anyone, but people being so personal is about as bad as foi-ing someone's text messages.  It is just a game.  Oh yeah, the players have to execute.  Even in man2man, they still should be aware of someone cutting to the basket.

Eddie Sutton very seldom lost on the last second plays.  If we got the ball with 4 seconds left and Sutton called time out you could be sure Arkansas would win.   Probably the best ever at winning at the last second..

Temprees

Quote from: Oliver Miller on January 02, 2010, 02:07:05 pm
Heath was a better recruiter than Pelphrey.  Ronnie Brewer, Sonny Weems, Pookie Modica are were all better than anybody Pelphrey has recruited.  Not to mention he got a top 5 overall recruit to commit to us despite the fact he never stepped foot on our court due to the pro rules at the time.
Patrick Beverly as well.

SunshinePumper

January 02, 2010, 05:25:44 pm #58 Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:30:40 pm by SunshinePumper
Quote from: LA Football fan on January 02, 2010, 04:45:26 pm
Powell is a freshman and is far ahead of where Weems and Brewer were as freshman so don't go comparing a freshman with what they are now in the NBA.  You are the one that needs to get legit.  I never said he was a better recruiter I just proved your quote that Pel never recruited anyone better than the players you listed as being wrong but keep reaching!  I also believe he will have a far better NBA career when he gets there.

You said Powell was "Better than" the guys I mentioned.  You didn't say "when they were freshman."  Nice attempt at saving face.  Besides, its way too premature to say Powell has an NBA future. 
Huggers Laid to Rest:
I believe Pel deserves at least 2 more years to get some post players in to accompany our decent backcourt.  If he can't get us to the NCAAT in 2 years then I'll definitely change my mind.

bengal

It looks even worse after coming out, setting up and then having another timeout called. I just cringe to think of UT and UK still to come in the next couple weeks.

LA Football fan

How else could you compare him???  Do you really think he won't get better with more experience, time in the weight room, and maturity???  You made the statement that NO ONE Pel had recruited was better than Townes, Beverly, Weems, Washington, and Brewer.  Until Powell walks off the court and throws a tantrum in the locker room he already has Townes beat, until he drops out of school and can't stay eligible he already has Beverly beat, he has already shown as a FRESHMAN that he can carry this team in games which is every bit as good as what Weems ever did,  he has shown more offense than Washington ever has and ever will so yeah he is better than Washington right now and by the time he leaves the program if he doesn't suffer some unforeseen injury he will definately get a chance to play in the NBA and you know, I know it, and everyone that has seen him plays knows it.
Quote from: SunshinePumper on January 02, 2010, 05:25:44 pm
You said Powell was "Better than" the guys I mentioned.  You didn't say "when they were freshman."  Nice attempt at saving face.  Besides, its way too premature to say Powell has an NBA future. 
Quote from: SunshinePumper on January 02, 2010, 05:25:44 pm

rude1

Quote from: LA Football fan on January 02, 2010, 04:45:26 pm
Powell is a 6'6" guy who can't handle the ball and can't shoot it from the outside. He will not be playing in the NBA.

ge-erdone

Quote from: Razorpigg on January 02, 2010, 03:17:48 pm
If you read any of my previous posts I have been a firm supporter of giving Pelphrey the time needed to put his team together.  With that being said.... Listen... Just as one of the previous posters said...You CANNOT run a man to man defense underneath your opponents basket with 2 freakin secs left!! I almost fell in the floor and yelled out loud so much that I think I actually frightened some of our customers.  That was, to take a word from FCJ, "pitiful".  When Pelphrey called that timeout, I would wager the farm that in NO WAY did Mike Davis think we would come out in a freakin man to man defense. I bet he pissed down both legs when he saw us set up m2m.  Im speechless right now.

they needed two points, and Davis planned on his team making a
drive to the basket for a layup, short jumper, or draw a foul for two shots at the ft line.

Our problem is we can not hit wide open shots.

When we shoot, it results in a turnover via rebound of a missed shot.

lookawayquick

Not only did Pel not call the right D at the end of the game, he didn't get his players to execute for a good last shot with 7 seconds left.  Farmer heaved up a 3 point shot, surely we could run a play to get a better look.  I don't enjoy bashing Pel but he is not a sound coach....period.

GuvHog

January 02, 2010, 10:16:27 pm #64 Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:19:59 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: jst01 on January 02, 2010, 01:23:25 pm
I know! that was what was so funny.

UAB came out and showed their hand. Pel calls timeout to react. UAB's coach knows exactly what Pel will try and do and just makes him look like a fool.

I bet coaches scouting our team sit in the video room and laugh when preparing for our offense.

Acinine post. It wasn't Pels fault, it was Mike Washington's. He allowed himself to get picked instead of staying put underneath the basket.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HawgTide

bobetty

Quote from: L.A. on January 02, 2010, 01:06:52 pm
who runs man 2 man on out of bounds under your own basket??????

AND sends Washington out to chase their very poor shooting post player near the 3-point line, leaving the lane completely open. Washington hadn't guarded him the entire game when that guy was out near the 3-point line.  The guy couldn't shoot...their only chance was for our post to go chase him out away from the basket. Just a complete abomination. 

lookawayquick

Guv Hog stick to football.  Dumb D alignment put Pel's players in a position to be picked.  And, the last offensive set the Hogs ran was.....offensive.   Farmer pumping up a 3 is not a high percentage shot.  Pel's play calling didn't give those young guys an opportunity to win.

bobetty

Quote from: lookawayquick on January 02, 2010, 10:02:59 pm
Not only did Pel not call the right D at the end of the game, he didn't get his players to execute for a good last shot with 7 seconds left.  Farmer heaved up a 3 point shot, surely we could run a play to get a better look.  I don't enjoy bashing Pel but he is not a sound coach....period.

Agree.  Also, the product he put on the floor at Verizon Arena against Baylor was just embarrassing - I couldn't believe what I was watching.  Pelfrey should honestly be ashamed to draw his paycheck. 

chiefhawg

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 02, 2010, 10:16:27 pm
Acinine post. It wasn't Pels fault, it was Mike Anderson's. He allowed himself to get picked instead of staying put underneath the basket.
Why were they in a man to man to begin with?

farmhawg

Quote from: HogsnCards on January 02, 2010, 01:20:08 pm
Are you kidding? Take a look at this years class. And next years.
Clueless.
About to get the #1 Juco. #1 player out of Canada.
2011, 5 5-star players seriously considering us.
Have they signed yet? He has done nothing but lose.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

SunshinePumper

Quote from: LA Football fan on January 02, 2010, 08:56:26 pm
How else could you compare him???  Do you really think he won't get better with more experience, time in the weight room, and maturity???  You made the statement that NO ONE Pel had recruited was better than Townes, Beverly, Weems, Washington, and Brewer.  Until Powell walks off the court and throws a tantrum in the locker room he already has Townes beat, until he drops out of school and can't stay eligible he already has Beverly beat, he has already shown as a FRESHMAN that he can carry this team in games which is every bit as good as what Weems ever did,  he has shown more offense than Washington ever has and ever will so yeah he is better than Washington right now and by the time he leaves the program if he doesn't suffer some unforeseen injury he will definately get a chance to play in the NBA and you know, I know it, and everyone that has seen him plays knows it.

You said Powell was better than Weems, brewer, beverly, and washington.  Then you tried to cover it up by saying Powell is better than them when they were freshmen.  Now you're saying you meant Powell is better than them character-wise. 

I give up.  Your basketball knowledge and talent evaluation knows no bounds.  I humbly bow before your genius.
Huggers Laid to Rest:

GuvHog

Quote from: chiefhawg on January 02, 2010, 10:42:37 pm
Why were they in a man to man to begin with?

It figures. People have been Bitching about Pel running a zone underneath the opponents basket since the
season started so now he goes to a man to man and the same people Bitch about that too! Incredible!

farmhawg

Acinine post. It wasn't Pels fault, it was Mike Anderson's. He allowed himself to get picked instead of staying put underneath the basket.
Here is the thing with Guvhog. He will support pel until he is fired and then he will switch and say that he has seen the light.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: farmhawg on January 02, 2010, 10:46:59 pm
Here is the thing with Guvhog. He will support pel until he is fired and then he will switch and say that he has seen the light.

I'm not in Pels camp, I'm a wait and see guy. Thus far I'm not impressed so he'll have to make sugnificant
improvements to gain my support. I'm like the retired Professional Wrestler Jesse "The Body" Ventura, I
call it like it is.

Temprees

I guess we can add you to the list of those who don't want Mike Anderson as our next coach.  Fruedian slip, on your part, I guess.

akahogfan

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 02, 2010, 10:46:28 pm
It figures. People have been Bitching about Pel running a zone underneath the opponents basket since the
season started so now he goes to a man to man and the same people Bitch about that too! Incredible!
I was wondering about this too. Just in case anyone did not notice, we ran man several time when the took it out of bounds under the basket. We didn't cluster frank any of those.

In most situations, I agree that you ought to run zone when they are under the goal, but with 2.2 seconds left, I would have called the same thing. If it is well played, it forces a contested shot. If you are in a zone, then two screens gets you an open shot even if the defense is playing as well as they can. Yes, the shot will be longer, about 12-15 ft, but it will still be open for that split second.

So in the end, I disagree with Pelfrey running man underneath the several other times it was run, but I would have called the same thing in that situation. Especially after they had played it so well every other time that they inbounded it.

Cracker Jack

As Ron White would say, "you can't fix stupid".  YOU HAVE TO SWITCH WHEN YOUR MAN SETS A PICK!!!  YOU LEARN THAT IN JUNIOR HIGH.  A D-1 player should NOT have to be reminded of that...............

GuvHog

Quote from: NEVERWAS1 on January 02, 2010, 10:24:11 pm
Mike Who?

Quote from: Temprees on January 02, 2010, 10:55:26 pm
I guess we can add you to the list of those who don't want Mike Anderson as our next coach.  Fruedian slip, on your part, I guess.

Thanks for catching that. Obviously I meant Mike Washington, My bad.  :-[

QuadHog

I still say "Steph" Welsh lost this game when we were up by 5 with a little over 2 min to play.How in the hell do you push a defender backwards in front of the ref on an inbounds play,then throw the ball into the 3rd row the next time you touch it.And another thing,get rid of those dumba$$ headbands,that just looks dumb,especially when your  a pretender on the court.

realistichog

Is GovHog the biggest Pel AZZ kisser on the planet or what.  I've been buying tickets since Van Eman was coach but now I don't even know when they are playing half the time because they suck. Pel can't coach a lick end of story. He got where he did on Pitino and Donovan's coattails.

HogBreath

Quote from: Lard on January 02, 2010, 01:17:54 pm
recruit what?  are you kidding?
His recruiting may be terrible, but it's still better than his coaching.

No wait, his coaching may be terrible, but it's still better than his recruiting.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

BigHog396

Quote from: Oliver Miller on January 02, 2010, 02:07:05 pm
Heath was a better recruiter than Pelphrey.  Ronnie Brewer, Sonny Weems, Pookie Modica are were all better than anybody Pelphrey has recruited.  Not to mention he got a top 5 overall recruit to commit to us despite the fact he never stepped foot on our court due to the pro rules at the time.
Ronnie Brewer was going to the U of A if ANYONE other than Nolan was the head coach.  Sonny Weems was playing in Fort Smith, and was from West Memphis... basically another gimme.  Modica had already been signed by Nolan, if I remember correctly.  Any other shining examples of Heath's recruiting prowess?

Hoggy1

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 03, 2010, 11:04:17 am
Ronnie Brewer was going to the U of A if ANYONE other than Nolan was the head coach.  Sonny Weems was playing in Fort Smith, and was from West Memphis... basically another gimme.  Modica had already been signed by Nolan, if I remember correctly.  Any other shining examples of Heath's recruiting prowess?

Al Jefferson, who skipped to the NBA.

Charles Thomas, Darian Townes and Steven Hill aren't world beaters.  But each was thought of highly coming out of high school.  Patrick Beverley has all the talent in the world, just seems to be a headcase at times.  Michael Washington....who IMO has digressed greatly under Pel.  Cyrus McGowan have been nice given the chance.  And Olu, who just ruined his career by leaving early.  Heath recruited a well enough core of players to have a chance to be successful, his coaching ability threw any hope of success out the window though.  Heaths' recruiting was head and shoulders better...although he couldn't develop players for squat.

It's time for a coach that can recruit AND coach, gotta have both for a winning program.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

GuvHog

Quote from: realistichog on January 02, 2010, 11:42:09 pm
Is GovHog the biggest Pel AZZ kisser on the planet or what.  I've been buying tickets since Van Eman was coach but now I don't even know when they are playing half the time because they suck. Pel can't coach a lick end of story. He got where he did on Pitino and Donovan's coattails.

I posted this earlier:

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 02, 2010, 10:54:39 pm
I'm not in Pels camp, I'm a wait and see guy. Thus far I'm not impressed so he'll have to make sugnificant
improvements to gain my support. I'm like the retired Professional Wrestler Jesse "The Body" Ventura, I
call it like it is.

Read more and post less. You might learn something.   ::) ::)

BigHog396

Quote from: HoggyPetrino501 on January 03, 2010, 01:22:04 pm
Al Jefferson, who skipped to the NBA.

Charles Thomas, Darian Townes and Steven Hill aren't world beaters.  But each was thought of highly coming out of high school.  Patrick Beverley has all the talent in the world, just seems to be a headcase at times.  Michael Washington....who IMO has digressed greatly under Pel.  Cyrus McGowan have been nice given the chance.  And Olu, who just ruined his career by leaving early.  Heath recruited a well enough core of players to have a chance to be successful, his coaching ability threw any hope of success out the window though.  Heaths' recruiting was head and shoulders better...although he couldn't develop players for squat.

It's time for a coach that can recruit AND coach, gotta have both for a winning program.
Hmmm... sounds a lot like the recruits for Pel last year.  Great basketball skills, complete head cases.

Everyone knew Al Jefferson was never going to step foot on campus, but Heath did get his name on the dotted line.  Pretty much in the same vein as Julius Lamptey.  He was another one that wasn't able to make it to campus, but made another recruiting class LOOK much better than it really was.  The '07 class was an absolute joke before Pel ever stepped on campus, and was another reason Heath was shown the door.

When discussing Washington, your statement pretty much proves exactly how little you know about basketball.  Washington was a joke when Pel arrived, and in his second season with Pelphrey was being talked up as an NBA draftee as a junior.

Also, you should probably at least glance at the stats before you go off making ridiculous statements like that.  Washington's production is BETTER in nearly every category this season, based on the number of minutes he is playing.  The fact that the guy has been hurt most of the season is in no way a reflection on Pelphrey, but even that doesn't change the fact that his production per minute of play is better in basically everything except rebounding this year.