Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Claycohog, Porkatarian, honest question:

Started by Toad Suck Pork, December 21, 2009, 11:21:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne Watson

Quote from: oklahog on December 21, 2009, 08:52:56 pm
Can I start a thread reviewing your performance?

Hell, yeah.  Might get a raise!
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

1HourToHogville

Quote from: wayne1958 on December 21, 2009, 08:56:44 pm
Hell, yeah.  Might get a raise!

I'm thinking a buyout.  I hear its 5 times your Hogville salary.

SunshinePumper

Quote from: ShortHog on December 21, 2009, 06:36:48 pm
I thought we offered quite a bit to a few coaches, like calipari. They declined or used us to get raises at their schools. I seems to remember that no one wanted the job here for some reason no matter if lage money was ponied up. That is likely why we have John. The agency hired to find us the best coach found few who were interested in the job, likely because they could see the next few years were going to be a major rebuilding job frm the foundation up.

We have John Pelphrey because Frank and John White completely bungled the coaching search and let it be known that we were offering about 32 coaches and got turned down.  What self respecting coach wants to be the 33rd choice?  There's also no proof that Calipari was ever offered $2.4m either.  In fact, Calipari denied getting offered by Arkansas.
Huggers Laid to Rest:
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=325641.0
Quote from: Breems on February 27, 2010, 11:31:16 pm
I believe Pel deserves at least 2 more years to get some post players in to accompany our decent backcourt.  If he can't get us to the NCAAT in 2 years then I'll definitely change my mind.
Quote from: Breems on March 12, 2010, 07:28:31 am
I understand giving a coach time, but giving Pel time will solve NOTHING.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: oklahog on December 21, 2009, 08:58:12 pm
I'm thinking a buyout.  I hear its 5 times your Hogville salary.

A can of mustard sardines and a tube of crackers and I'm gone!   ;D
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

jgphillips3

December 21, 2009, 09:03:58 pm #54 Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:29:57 pm by jgphillips3
No matter what the administration does, they are going to have to gamble.  If they retain Pel, they are gambling that 13,000 tickets will still be sold next year.  If firing Pel and hiring Mike Anderson is a REAL possibility, I would have to believe that would be good for at least 2,000 to 3,000 in additional season ticket sales next year and would almost certainly guarantee sell outs for the first year.  If he won right away enough to at least get us to at least 8 and 8 in conference, the stands would be full and you would have the additional revenue from the other 7,000 tickets to fund the change. 

Therefore, do you gamble that retaining Pel won't cost season ticket sales or that hiring Mike Anderson would increase sales enough to justify the cost.  I'll be honest, I'm glad that isn't a choice I have to make because I don't like to gamble, but I know darn well BW would be full for Mike because of what he demands from those kids in terms of effort.  It just sucks that we have to be talking about such things in the first place. 

Wild Bill Hog

Farmboy

Quote from: wayne1958 on December 21, 2009, 04:31:40 pm
$8 tickets went to $25.  That's 312.5%

It has been a few years since tickets were 8 dollars.  But I remember when football tickets were 12 dollars.  Guess we are both fairly old.

WilsonHog

Quote from: claycohog on December 21, 2009, 05:24:47 pm
For the first time since he has been here Bobby Petrino has been told NO in the last couple of weeks. 

Most significant piece of information in the thread.

Marshfieldhog

I hope bobby wasn't told no regarding dollars to upgrade the defensive staff

william.lane123

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 21, 2009, 11:27:01 am
you really think they dont care?

When you have no money, you have no money, its that simple

During down turns in the economy, college enrollments increase,  the money is there believe me.

Porkatarian

Claycohog is correct.  For the first time that I know of, Long declined a Petrino request b/c of lack of funds.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

MakeMeOink

farmhawg

Quote from: Porkatarian on December 22, 2009, 09:01:51 am
Claycohog is correct.  For the first time that I know of, Long declined a Petrino request b/c of lack of funds.

Porkatarian out...
Whose fault is that? Long needs to move the programs forward and he is not doing that with BB.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

WhenPigsFly

You are right.  Every 1000 basketball season tickets sold (or lost) is $1,000,000 in revenue.

Getting somebody in here to excite the fan base again will more than pay for itself.

grayhawg

I think some said on here last year we didn't have the funds for a coaching change. But the athletic dept can donate million dollars to the academic branch of the University. Can someone tell me where that money came from came? I'm sorry I have a hard time believing the Athletic dept is strapped for cash.

LordStanleysHog

Quote from: william.lane123 on December 22, 2009, 08:51:10 am

During down turns in the economy, college enrollments increase,  the money is there believe me.

perhaps, but the money comes from the foundation... which is based on donations, so I'm not so sure the foundation is swimming in funds.

thirtythree

Porkatarian out...

Will he get the money after the university gets it's share of the bowl money?

WhenPigsFly

December 22, 2009, 09:32:25 am #67 Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:34:06 am by WhenPigsFly
Speaking of not being able to "afford" a new basketball coach:

That may be part of the problem.  Department revenues may be up, but state law limits the amount the "University" can pay coaches.  The rest must come from the Foundation.  And RF revenues may not be as good as the AD.

The Pig

Porkatarian out...

How does a program with no money do a complete overhaul of the Broyles Center and wouldn't a "no" or two be expected when a coach is asking for what all he would like to have done during said overhaul?

Still not buying the no money thing. Coaches, even BP, get told no occasionally.

Porkatarian

Hopefully the recent hire of John Erck (which I think is a homerun by Long) will get our fundraising turned around sooner than later.

Porkatarian out...

want2be

If Texas can afford to pay Brown 5mil ,Kentucky can afford to pay Cal 4mil,and Tenner's football staff mega bucks,we are going to be paddling "up a creek without a paddle" if salaries continue to rapidly continue.

I remember when Tyson steped up for football before hiring Petrino and said he was tired of the program being considered average....

When will these same type doners say the basketball program is below average ?

batmanfan

It sounds like Long is really sucking it up.  Reminds me of a rich man's trophy wife spending money like it is going out of style.  Your a second rate program if you lack the funds to give your football and basketball programs what they need to excel.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Pissed Pig

I really don't care if you guys agree with this or not.  But the fact is, it IS the economy.  The backbone boosters, that is, the one's who give 25,000, 50,000, or 100,000 every year, have slowed down.  It's a generation thing and they are cautious with their money right now.  I have three in my family and right now it's mainly about the protecting the bottomline.

Porkatarian

Quote from: batmanfan on December 23, 2009, 01:59:26 am
It sounds like Long is really sucking it up.  Reminds me of a rich man's trophy wife spending money like it is going out of style.  Your a second rate program if you lack the funds to give your football and basketball programs what they need to excel.

Bat, I don't think it's Long as much as it is some of the "yes men" that he's surrounded himself with.   He's kept Shanklin and several others from the previous regime.  He's also gotten some horrible advice from guys like Ryan Gribble at RSP.   Chris Wyrick (who I really like on a personal level) was supposed to be a BIG TIME fundraising guru, but he has yet to bring in a dime.  Now that we've hired John Erck away from Vandy, I think we'll see the finances from our Athletic Department improve drastically.

Porkatarian out...

Porkem

Quote from: Porkatarian on December 26, 2009, 12:23:42 pm

Bat, I don't think it's Long as much as it is some of the "yes men" that he's surrounded himself with.   He's kept Shanklin and several others from the previous regime.  He's also gotten some horrible advice from guys like Ryan Gribble at RSP.   Chris Wyrick (who I really like on a personal level) was supposed to be a BIG TIME fundraising guru, but he has yet to bring in a dime.  Now that we've hired John Erck away from Vandy, I think we'll see the finances from our Athletic Department improve drastically.

Porkatarian out...

Pork...correct me if I'm wrong, but money is not an issue (as some might think).  If Long and the deep pockets want Pel gone...he's gone.  Pel's buyout is not that much.  The issue, as it is concerns Long, is that Pelphrey's losses and off the court problems, though embarrasing, have not risen to the level that it warrants termination.  In other words, Pel hasn't screwed up bad enough to get fired (in Jeff Long's mind).
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

SLC

Porkatarian out...

This raises a couple of questions. 

First, what was the request?

Second, how did Petrino take the denial?  Did he understand or did it tick him off? 
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

ge-erdone

Quote from: Porkem Yung on December 26, 2009, 01:38:20 pm
Pork...correct me if I'm wrong, but money is not an issue (as some might think).  If Long and the deep pockets want Pel gone...he's gone.  Pel's buyout is not that much.  The issue, as it is concerns Long, is that Pelphrey's losses and off the court problems, though embarrassing, have not risen to the level that it warrants termination.  In other words, Pel hasn't screwed up bad enough to get fired (in Jeff Long's mind).

And, apparently Jeff Long collaborated with Pelphrey in approving of the suspensions, and promised John Pelphrey his through backing of suspensions and punishments, especially in the wins and losses, and to which I salute Jeff Long in doing so.

Pelphrey has this year, and for sure next year, and if all goes well, which I believe it will, Pelphrey will be here to coach his son as basketball player for the U of A.

online-with-swine

So what was the request that Petrino made?  Nobody has answered that question yet.

SLC

Quote from: KnilesKankle on January 01, 2010, 03:58:01 pm
So what was the request that Petrino made?  Nobody has answered that question yet.

They won't.  Very typical tease from them.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

Farmboy

Could the request have been a "raise" to keep Baby Brother here?

pigsknuckle

Money should not be an issue with the athletic department.  The new television contracts have increased the income to UA athletics by about $5,000,000 annually.  One of the major problems is the huge increase in staffing in the athletic department,  40 (or more) new staff  members since Long was hired.  There is no major gift fund raising and there has not been since Wyrick was hired.  Maybe the new hire (Erk) will help. Wyrick is a friendly fellow that has no ability in marketing, promotions or fund raising which he is supposedly overseeing.