Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

And it wasn’t even fun

Started by hawgon, November 18, 2017, 06:53:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

We've been awful in the Bert era, but it was just boring and bad football win or lose.  This has been five completely wasted years. 

JackTNHogfan

Hunter heave was great.  Auburn 2014 was a good win too.  TCU last year was a good win as well.  Other than that, it was all pretty lame.

NorthDallas40

It was fun when we beat Tech at Tech and non believers like me said ok that's how it's supposed to work. To me that was the high point. Beating a crappy UT was probably second.

jgphillips3

There were a few good moments, just a lot more "what the Hell" moments.  Inconsistency and increasing incompetency is what will be the lingering remembrance of this era.  An experiment that failed miserably.

shshark00

Quote from: hawgon on November 18, 2017, 06:53:56 pm
We've been awful in the Bert era, but it was just boring and bad football win or lose.  This has been five completely wasted years. 

Disagree. It's easy to be down and say something like this, we're all pretty defeated. But I enjoyed watching Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams run the ball. Hunter Henry catching first downs. Skipper throwing DEs like rag dolls and blocking FGs. And the Bermuda Triangle of Flowers, Philon, and Speight.  It wasn't all bad, nor would many of the ex players call it a complete waste.

ManBeast

Stomping LSU in Baton Rouge a couple years ago was fun. Well worth the trip down there. We had more fans in the stadium when the game ended than LSU had.

code red

Quote from: NorthDallas40 on November 18, 2017, 07:00:07 pm
It was fun when we beat Tech at Tech and non believers like me said ok that's how it's supposed to work. To me that was the high point. Beating a crappy UT was probably second.
and that's what Bielema has done to this fan base. Hoping we beat Tech. When we used to just assume that we were going to kick their ass.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

farmhawg

Quote from: code red on November 18, 2017, 07:02:35 pm
and that's what Bielema has done to this fan base. Hoping we beat Tech. When we used to just assume that we were going to kick their ass.
Correct and some on here love it.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Pig in the Pokey

the back-to-back shut outs to end 'the streak' gave us all false hope for a short time. the writing was on the wall the very next year when Toledo and Tech rolled us up.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Martygit

There were some fun moments - the play against Old Miss when Hunter Henry threw it back and Alex Collins ran it down to allow us to win the game comes to mind - beating Texas is another
RIP OTR, REV

goodguytex

As a fan, I've never in my 41 years enjoyed being a Razorback football fan as much as I did during the Petrino years. There were a few of those enjoyable moments....beating LSU back to back, the ole Miss Hunter heave, last year's ole Miss game, auburn 2014, but the proud moments were just few and far between.

I'm ready to start fresh with new leadership all the way and a desire to get our program back on track. I like bielema too. I wish he could've gotten it done. Just wasn't able to.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: goodguytex on November 18, 2017, 07:49:36 pm
As a fan, I've never in my 41 years enjoyed being a Razorback football fan as much as I did during the Petrino years. There were a few of those enjoyable moments....beating LSU back to back, the ole Miss Hunter heave, last year's ole Miss game, auburn 2014, but the proud moments were just few and far between.

I'm ready to start fresh with new leadership all the way and a desire to get our program back on track. I like bielema too. I wish he could've gotten it done. Just wasn't able to.

Petrino years were fun. But so were the matt jones years and the dmac/hillis/felix years. Those were probably my favorites.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

goodguytex

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 18, 2017, 07:53:32 pm
Petrino years were fun. But so were the matt jones years and the dmac/hillis/felix years. Those were probably my favorites.
Yeah, we had some fun years there when Nutt was HC. But I never thought we actually had elite status with Nutt leading our program.

In 2011 after we beat Mississippi state in the rock, before GArrett Uekman passed away, I thought we were as good as anyone in the country. We were top 5. 2010, when we beat LSU in the rock, we were really a solid team I felt like.

When Nutt was coach, I always had this feeling that he or one of his coaches would do something to screw something up in a big game.

go hogues

This here!...except I'm 35.  :P
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hogs run wild

curb stomping florida last year was great! we owe them a few more.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Paragould Bulldog

Morale of the fan base is the lowest I have ever seen, hence today's attendance.  Like it or not, segments of the fan base have been alienated over the last few years.  As you said, it's just not fun anymore and folks are staying home.

Here's to hoping the upcoming changes will make it better, and more fun, for all.

cosmodrum

Quote from: JackTNHogfan on November 18, 2017, 06:59:36 pm
Hunter heave was great.  Auburn 2014 was a good win too.  TCU last year was a good win as well.  Other than that, it was all pretty lame.

The TCU game sucked. Hell, we lost it had it not been for Kenny Trillzdick's throat slash.
Go away, batin'

HogTide2

Refresh my memory, when did we win the SECC?   We joined in 1992, I do remember that.

DoctorSusscrofa

I've never seen this type of thread before. Let's jeep it going for 7 pages.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

twistitup

and the Sugar Bowl, that was a blast....wait
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

goodguytex

Quote from: go hogues on November 18, 2017, 08:15:10 pm
This here!...except I'm 35.  :P
I was at the bama game is 2010 at RRS. Sitting in the middle of the bama fans. They were always confident they'd win. But one thing I remember, when that game was over, bama fans were shaking hog fans hands, showing respect to us, telling us don't get down over this, we respect y'all's team and program. Y'all took us to the last few minutes and nearly beat us. They respected us.

Even though hog fans walked out down in the dumps, there was tons of positivity and hopefulness looking toward the future. I want to feel that way again. I Want all of us to feel that way again.

Martygit

Certainly, it was great fun back in the SWC days - and, it was some fun during the Nutt days when we had stud players and you thought going into every game that we had a great chance to win (unlike today when you think that we have very little chance to win) - also, it was fun in the Petrino days when we were winning - hell, it was fun to win and to think we could win - that's what has been lost - the optimism of thinking we were better than the other team and/or the thought that we would win
RIP OTR, REV

hogsanity

So you've been a fan for 41 years, yet you did not find the 80's, when the Hogs finished in the top 20 like 6 times in 10 years and had 3 10 wins seasons and won their league ( yea I still put value on winning your league ) twice. Yea, that decade was not nearly as fun as not even winning the division. 10 & 11 were really really good seasons, but no way those were more than the 80's.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: goodguytex on November 18, 2017, 09:25:29 pm
I was at the bama game is 2010 at RRS. Sitting in the middle of the bama fans. They were always confident they'd win. But one thing I remember, when that game was over, bama fans were shaking hog fans hands, showing respect to us, telling us don't get down over this, we respect y'all's team and program. Y'all took us to the last few minutes and nearly beat us. They respected us.

Even though hog fans walked out down in the dumps, there was tons of positivity and hopefulness looking toward the future. I want to feel that way again. I Want all of us to feel that way again.

you know that game scared Bama fans because they broke out the rammer jammer chant. It also scared them because they knew they did not have a great D that year and they ended up losing 3 sec games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Glad I didn't even watch it!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

wildhogman

41 years? too bad you didn't see UA stomp a mudhole in BlowU in the 78 orange bowl. That tops ANYTHING Booby Petrino did or will do.  We WON that game, not just show up and fight a losing fight. Beating the hell out of texas during 81 season was great too. I was in texas drunk in a pizza hut watching with friends on a big screen. Was great watching all those burnt puke orange wearing fans cry.  You may think the CBP era was the best. Some of us know better. Or maybe you just joind the microwave generation and like microwave popcorn your memory lasts about 2 minutes and then grows stale

Chalupa Batman

I really wish there would have been more TTech, LSU, TCU, Aub OT wins, but the losses were huge head scratchers. I really like CBB as a person, but he's not what we need.

atom hog

Don't know about all this "like him as a person" opinion around here. I thought I did there for a while, but in reality I don't. Many reasons, but the glaring things to me was when came in and didn't seem to aware if our traditions. I know it was not all him, but from the "Woo Pig" to the off-kilter marketing fads, we did not need a culture change...just solid fundamental coaching. He has only shown in his time here that he's at best a clueless blowhard and lackluster coach. We got JLS effort and results (at best) for Power 5 money. I'll give it to Bert though ...He did change the culture here and built the program in his image.

PearlHarbor

Quote from: JackTNHogfan on November 18, 2017, 06:59:36 pm

Add the Texas bowl and some other wins against ol mrs., and that is nearly every sec win bert had here.

hoglady

Petrino and Holtz - those were my absolute favorite years.

I asked the owner of the company I work for yesterday who he wanted for a new coach - he said Petrino.
I said that's not happening. He said "I just want Petrino back - I want years like that back."
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Nashville Fan

FL last year was something I have waited my whole life for. Bought him this year with me after that horrible finish last year.
Pittman or Bust!

Hoggish1

Quote from: shshark00 on November 18, 2017, 07:01:16 pm
Disagree. It's easy to be down and say something like this, we're all pretty defeated. But I enjoyed watching Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams run the ball. Hunter Henry catching first downs. Skipper throwing DEs like rag dolls and blocking FGs. And the Bermuda Triangle of Flowers, Philon, and Speight.  It wasn't all bad, nor would many of the ex players call it a complete waste.

Yes, and why he then went ahead and hired Anderson to run the most important part of his O just blows ones mind...

RebHog

Quote from: Nashville Fan on November 19, 2017, 10:08:00 am
FL last year was something I have waited my whole life for. Bought him this year with me after that horrible finish last year.

Florida is a shell itself these last few years...good win sure but that program is really down right now.

code red

He had two good wins the ole miss and LSU shutouts.....that's about it.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

wachhog

Quote from: HogTide2 on November 18, 2017, 09:09:33 pm
Refresh my memory, when did we win the SECC?   We joined in 1992, I do remember that.
Some of us don't have to "win the SEC" to enjoy tha hogs playing exciting football. Nothing about BBball at Arkansas has been exciting. Much has been dismal.

Razorbackers

2015 was a fun team. Collins and the "largest line in all of football". BA coming on as a leader, getting carried off the field vs Ole Miss. 8 wins, 5-3 in the SEC.

Honestly that was a 10 win team or more than coaching, execution, and bad luck cost winnable games early.

hawgon

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 19, 2017, 11:53:35 am
2015 was a fun team. Collins and the "largest line in all of football". BA coming on as a leader, getting carried off the field vs Ole Miss. 8 wins, 5-3 in the SEC.

Honestly that was a 10 win team or more than coaching, execution, and bad luck cost winnable games early.

You second paragraph describes why it wasn't "fun".  That team, because of piss poor planning and preparation was playing for exactly nothing after the first four weeks of the season.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 18, 2017, 07:00:48 pm
There were a few good moments, just a lot more "what the Hell" moments.  Inconsistency and increasing incompetency is what will be the lingering remembrance of this era.  An experiment that failed miserably.

Agreed!
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

rtr

Quote from: wildhogman on November 18, 2017, 10:57:18 pm
41 years? too bad you didn't see UA stomp a mudhole in BlowU in the 78 orange bowl. That tops ANYTHING Booby Petrino did or will do.  We WON that game, not just show up and fight a losing fight. Beating the hell out of texas during 81 season was great too. I was in texas drunk in a pizza hut watching with friends on a big screen. Was great watching all those burnt puke orange wearing fans cry.  You may think the CBP era was the best. Some of us know better. Or maybe you just joind the microwave generation and like microwave popcorn your memory lasts about 2 minutes and then grows stale
I witnessed all that you have, the Petrino years were fun too.  Now, that Jeff Long is gone the players and coaches from that time can get the recognition they so richly deserve.  The Joe Adams punt return against Tennessee is my favorite Razorback highlight.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Silver Hog

Florida and Texas are the only two games that come to mind in six years.

hawgon

Quote from: Silver Hog on November 19, 2017, 02:59:15 pm
Florida and Texas are the only two games that come to mind in six years.

TCU last year was fun.  It was a meaningful game against what we thought was a pretty good team. 

Inhogswetrust

No such thing as boring winning football. IF we had been winning under Bret more then you and the other 2% would be the ones still claiming it's boring.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgon

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 19, 2017, 03:12:57 pm
No such thing as boring winning football. IF we had been winning under Bret more then you and the other 2% would be the ones still claiming it's boring.

Uh, yeah there is. 

Arkiebrian

Everything looked pretty damn good at the end of year 3.  Then year 4 happened with the Auburn blowout, loss to Missouri, and the Belk fiasco.  Now here we are.