Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A New Coach Brings One Critical Commodity

Started by WilsonHog, September 23, 2017, 07:25:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Hope. A belief that things will get better, even if not right away.

The only emotion most Hog fans have right now is resignation.

farmhawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 23, 2017, 07:25:35 pm

Very true.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

moses_007

JackTNHogfan

Absolutely!

TebowHater

100%. Hope is what we no longer had after TCU and especially now. It is ok to be 6-7 for a couple years, so long as we have hope of what we are building.

Going 6-7 when you know it's the best you can do just yields resignation.

my3boneheads

A new coach also brings in 2 more years of mediocrity until he gets his players on board. If we go back to a spread offense it could take 4 years to get to an 8-4 season.

rtr

Quote from: my3boneheads on September 23, 2017, 07:32:27 pm
A new coach also brings in 2 more years of mediocrity until he gets his players on board. If we go back to a spread offense it could take 4 years to get to an 8-4 season.
Now that is a ridiculous notion.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

moses_007

Enos could take the players we have right now and convert the offense to a spread.  It does tend to open up more holes for running backs.  But you need great wide receivers too to properly execute it.

HognotinMemphis

That is basically my response to those fans who say who would we get any better than who we have now. Hope. Optimism. Hope that the next guy is better than Bielema. May not turn out that way but you have to try and have hope that it will be an improvement. The alternative is to keep what we know is certain mediocrity or worse.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

orvillesghost

So true Wilson.

Though my age is beginning to make me wonder if ANYONE can ever get it done here.

Just tired of never being relevant in FB anymore...we all are I guess.

Tarheelhawg

The hope and distraction of a new coach search takes my mind off another gut wrenching close loss which is one thing Bielema has mastered.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Dominicanhog

Been watching since the 60's and I would say I have less hope today as anytime in my life.. sure JLS was a disaster but you knew it was short term and I never felt this way with Nutt, Hatfield, Frank or Holtz and certainly not Bobby... maybe I'm just getting old and I know I don't respond to losses very well .....oh well, guess it's just football.

alohawg

I dunno, I felt pretty crappy after the epic butt kickings from USC and Tenn during the Nutt cracker error.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

phadedhawg

Yeah a new coach brings hope, the same hope Charlie Brown has that he's gonna kick the football this time. 

A new coach sells tickets for a couple season but then the honeymoon period ends and it's back to carping for a new head coach. 

Granted, I'm not saying I want Bert to stay.  I'm just saying I'm not buying the new coach hype bc it never seems to change anything. 

BDSCT51

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 23, 2017, 08:04:54 pm
Been watching since the 60's and I would say I have less hope today as anytime in my life.. sure JLS was a disaster but you knew it was short term and I never felt this way with Nutt, Hatfield, Frank or Holtz and certainly not Bobby... maybe I'm just getting old and I know I don't respond to losses very well .....oh well, guess it's just football.

Same here! We're just lost in the wilderness of mediocrity for some time to come I'm afraid. Vanderbilt of the SEC West. Looking up to Kentucky and Duke...................................... IN FOOTBALL!!!!!!
Bleeding Razorback Red

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: alohawg on September 23, 2017, 08:10:47 pm
I dunno, I felt pretty crappy after the epic butt kickings from USC and Tenn during the Nutt cracker error.

Too many 0 for Octobers to have had faith in Nutt.  Bowl debacles like UNLV and Minnesota. The worst part with Nutt was we were trapped. It took him and his wife screwing up off the field to get enough pressure for change.

Unfortunately the buyout has fans feeling similar.  But that buyout isn't forever. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Letsroll1200

USC was elite. Auburn 56-3, not elite.

DeltaBoy

Pissed Off and Darksiding ! Jeff been here too Long and his pet 15 million dollar Pig Farmer got to go !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgtime

AMEN. we went out to breakfast in Tulsa this morning and ran into another Hog fan.  we spoke for about 5 minutes and he told me that he had no hope of winning today or having a winning season.  blah

Dominicanhog

didn't we win 9 in a row after USC... not saying I thought he was a great coach but I never thought we we weren't going to win or at least had a good chance.. I'm sure I'll be over it in a day or two....

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 23, 2017, 08:16:29 pm
didn't we win 9 in a row after USC... not saying I thought he was a great coach but I never thought we we weren't going to win or at least had a good chance.. I'm sure I'll be over it in a day or two....
Ten in a row?

pigture perfect

Just sick. Sick of wasting Saturdays hoping for A signature type win.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ricepig

Yeah, I was thinking of Ronnie South QB'd team of 1967, it was pretty bad.

Großer Kriegschwein

That's what Nutt brought.

Played Alabama in Fayetteville and made em quit.
This is my non-signature signature.

Dark Helmet Hog

We are likely stuck with this darn for at least one more year. If Long get's to make another hire, there will be little hope to go with it.

Maginot

I still have hope.  Hope of a resignation. Maybe two.
The term "Maginot Line" is now sometimes used as a metaphor for something that is confidently relied upon, but ends up being ineffective. Sound familiar?

hoglady

In all of Nutt's years I've never seen it this bad.
Even the really stupid stuff the fan base did was driven by anger which was driven by caring.

Right now the anger isn't there - it's just apathy.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

orvillesghost

The league is pulling away from us and has been been the last few years.

I guess part of this is frustration on my part and resignation but I really don't think we will ever be able to recruit well enough to be much better than a seven or eight win team.

Probably the constant losses are influencing my opinion.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hoglady on September 23, 2017, 08:50:07 pm
Even the really stupid stuff the fan base did was driven by anger which was driven by caring.

That's because the Jeffies have sold everyone on the Idea of mediocrity is fine. Can't recruit here, average wins/losses, money available.....There is a propaganda machine at -play here in this state and even right here on this board.

LRHawg

It'd take a great coach and recruiter to reverse our recruiting fortunes. It would take a few years and we'd have to win big to have a shot at some big classes, but it could in theory,be done. kids will come here if they think we can win big. We'd probably need Saban to retire as well.

Großer Kriegschwein

Much truth in this.

Everyone just wants Bret to salvage what he can until his buyout is manageable.

The apathy comes from the absurd buyout and the anger is directed toward who the fans believe is responsible for agreeing to it.

Our best case scenario is Bret reading the writing on the wall, moving to another school on his own to spare his reputation and national vitriol in the media against him. Financially, that may not be the best thing for him in the near term, but probably would balance out in the long term.

This is my non-signature signature.

navyhog24

I have lost all hope as long as Jeff Long would be making the hire.

Bubba's Bruisers

I think Nutt made it personal with the fans...creating the anger.  BB is likeable, so apathy instead of anger by from the fans.

I can't even stand the site of Nutt.  Irrational loathing, I know.  When BB's gone, I'll still like the guy.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hoglady

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 23, 2017, 08:59:00 pm
That's because the Jeffies have sold everyone on the Idea of mediocrity is fine. Can't recruit here, average wins/losses, money available.....There is a propaganda machine at -play here in this state and even right here on this board.

If that's what everyone is content with then no reason to spend 4 million on a coach with a 15 million buy out and millions upon millions on facilities. Just admit you're going to be the Vandy of the West (without the academic standing), pray for a bowl game every 5 years and be done with it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: navyhog24 on September 23, 2017, 09:07:06 pm
I have lost all hope as long as Jeff Long would be making the hire.

I agree.  Guy is probably a great administrator, but don't trust him to make a hire, but he'll be the guy to do it unless he leaves for greener pasters before that happens.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

hoglady

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 23, 2017, 09:10:58 pm
I think Nutt made it personal with the fans...creating the anger.  BB is likeable, so apathy instead of anger by from the fans.

I can't even stand the site of Nutt.  Irrational loathing, I know.  When BB's gone, I'll still like the guy.

I was just mad at Nutt for wasting some of the most elite talent we've ever had by being more stubborn than Les Miles regarding his offense. What could have been done with a backfield of DMac, Jones and Hillis with a competent offensive mind. I will never forgive him for that.

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on September 23, 2017, 09:12:07 pm
If that's what everyone is content with then no reason to spend 4 million on a coach with a 15 million buy out and millions upon millions on facilities. Just admit you're going to be the Vandy of the West (without the academic standing), pray for a bowl game every 5 years and be done with it.

Just because a school doesn't fire a coach on some fan's timeframe, doesn't mean there isn't the desire and will to win. He isn't going to be fired during the season, that's beyond obvious, so just cheer for the team and what needs to happen will happen, one way or another.

hoglady

Quote from: ricepig on September 23, 2017, 09:18:14 pm
Just because a school doesn't fire a coach on some fan's timeframe, doesn't mean there isn't the desire and will to win. He isn't going to be fired during the season, that's beyond obvious, so just cheer for the team and what needs to happen will happen, one way or another.

My comment had nothing to do with firing Bielema now - that thought never entered my mind.
It was directed at anyone who is content with what we are seeing now and think we can't do better.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hoglady on September 23, 2017, 09:17:18 pm
I was just mad at Nutt for wasting some of the most elite talent we've ever had by being more stubborn than Les Miles regarding his offense. What could have been done with a backfield of DMac, Jones and Hillis with a competent offensive mind. I will never forgive him for that.

The problem was all that talent was largely concentrated at the same position.  Need a lot more than that to win anything of significance.

moses_007

Quote from: hoglady on September 23, 2017, 09:17:18 pm
Just imagine what Lou Holtz could have done that that stable of running backs.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 23, 2017, 08:11:26 pm
Yeah a new coach brings hope, the same hope Charlie Brown has that he's gonna kick the football this time. 

A new coach sells tickets for a couple season but then the honeymoon period ends and it's back to carping for a new head coach. 

Granted, I'm not saying I want Bert to stay.  I'm just saying I'm not buying the new coach hype bc it never seems to change anything.
It did change things from Nutt to Petrino. And hugely so. Get the right coach and it will be a sea change in right direction.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogginbama

And everyone will be screaming to fire them since they didn't turn it around in year 4 or 5.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: moses_007 on September 23, 2017, 09:23:02 pm
Just imagine what Lou Holtz could have done that that stable of running backs.

He won 10 in 2006.  Because it was the first time in a while he fielded an SEC caliber defense.  Then we irrationally start beating our chest chanting "dmac and Jones, dmac and Jones!!" prior to the 2007 season.  Nevermind the fact that we lost like our best 5 or 6 defensive starters.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: BDSCT51 on September 23, 2017, 08:13:18 pm
Same here! We're just lost in the wilderness of mediocrity for some time to come I'm afraid. Vanderbilt of the SEC West. Looking up to Kentucky and Duke...................................... IN FOOTBALL!!!!!!
mediocrity ?  man you are the "glass half full" type...we won't win a single conference game and CBB will have come full circle since year one of his tenure here....problem is there is no JLS to blame this time
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on September 23, 2017, 09:21:27 pm
My comment had nothing to do with firing Bielema now - that thought never entered my mind.
It was directed at anyone who is content with what we are seeing now and think we can't do better.

You were addressing the fan's apathy with the program and suggested we not spend money and basically just pack it in for football, my comment was based on Nolan's theory that not all sickness is death, in other words, it will work itself out, just not in the timeframe some wish.

hoglady

Quote from: ricepig on September 23, 2017, 09:29:32 pm
You were addressing the fan's apathy with the program and suggested we not spend money and basically just pack it in for football, my comment was based on Nolan's theory that not all sickness is death, in other words, it will work itself out, just not in the timeframe some wish.

You misunderstood.
I was responding to the statement that we are being told to accept the mediocrity.
If we are willing to accept where we are now - then we should quit spending all that money and just become the Vandy of the West.

I in no way think that's what we should do - i know we can be better than we are now.

HognotinMemphis

There will not be planes flying over RRS to encourage fans to ask for Bielema's firing. But if this year is 2-6 or worse and he is back for next year, plenty of fans will be UPSET.

Oklahawg

Oddly, this is the best reason for a purge, imo.

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 23, 2017, 09:47:16 pm
There will not be planes flying over RRS to encourage fans to ask for Bielema's firing. But if this year is 2-6 or worse and he is back for next year, plenty of fans will be UPSET.

It will be a "slow boil" - rather than outrage it will be disinterest.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

codeHog

this is why you HAVE to change coaches sometimes