Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Mike Anderson burned out?

Started by HogAllMighty, February 03, 2018, 04:18:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogAllMighty

This has to be his worst season of coaching.  I don't see it getting any better next season with all the new players coming in.

The_Iceman

Mediocre Mike  is entitled and incompetent.

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

jst01

Maybe. He peaked at the end of UAB and the couple years at Mizzu. Next year will be the end of him at AR.

RagingHawgOn

He's not burned out. He is consistently pathetic.

7 years. Good lord. Embarrassing.

Dirty

jst01

Quote from: Dirty on February 03, 2018, 04:22:52 pm
He is not going anywhere and younpussies can't realize it!

He'll be gone from this program next year or the year after. And he will have a couple of 1st round wins to show for it. You are a complete fool if you watch the team and believe he's ever going to be above average.

Knot2brite

I realize he isn't going anywhere ...and neither is the Hogs basketball team...oh they will make the tourney some...but the first weekend is their ceiling
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HeyHogs

batmanfan

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Hard to burn out when there's no fire.

hawgball40

GoHogs1091

Burned out from what?

Basically almost 7 full seasons of not high level coaching is not a cause of a burn out.

sasnakrafan

Don't know if mike is burnt out but I'm burnt out on Mike. Listen to his timeouts.... Play tough and gritty. 30 seconds later..no set play for an offensive possession and boom shot clock violation. He's not an x/o guy. He can and will be outcoached. Mikes only better when he has more talent/experience on his team than the other guy. 

cardsNhogs

I really hope we have a different Coach next year. This is a complete choke job this season.

Gonzo

I don't know if it's MA being burned out as much as I think the style is played out, just like the wishbone was in football, and he either refuses to or is incapable of changing. Unless he does, I think we've seen his ceiling, decent but nothing extraordinary or truly exciting. Just all depends on how long the PTB think that is good enough.

Go Hogs!

Hoggish1

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 03, 2018, 04:33:07 pm
I really hope we have a different Coach next year. This is a complete choke job this season.

Joe will be here soon to assure you.

Sivad

Mike's matches were wet before we hired him and succumbed to his exorbitant salary demands to recreate "40 Minutes of Hell".

JEMG3dogs

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Sivad on February 03, 2018, 04:40:32 pm
Mike's matches were wet before we hired him and succumbed to his exorbitant salary demands to recreate "40 Minutes of Hell".

The Fastest 40 to Nowhere

rtr

Not sure if we fire Head FB Coach and Head BB Coach in six months of each other.  It has become stale and a change maybe in order. I do notice the most vocal anti Mike posters were CBB's biggest defenders, I just want Arkansas to be well coached in both sports.  Something we have not had in a long time.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Jimmy

Mike needs to go.  This drill is so old, so predictable, it is embarrassing for a school that actually cares about basketball to have to endure it.

twistitup

He's rich

Money makes some people relax....too much
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Porknoxville

So disappointing too think that MA was aNO MIsS hire and to see him creat such apathy around this program. I would give my eye tooth for Nolan to take over this team for the remainder of the season.
Go hogs!

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HogBreath

Quote from: Porknoxville on February 03, 2018, 05:36:39 pm
So disappointing too think that MA was aNO MIsS hire and to see him creat such apathy around this program. I would give my eye tooth for Nolan to take over this team for the remainder of the season.
Go hogs!
Keep your teeth..the great Nolan went 23-27 his last three years in a weak assed SEC.  He didn't get himself fired for winning too many championships.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: rtr on February 03, 2018, 04:49:53 pm
Not sure if we fire Head FB Coach and Head BB Coach in six months of each other.  It has become stale and a change maybe in order. I do notice the most vocal anti Mike posters were CBB's biggest defenders, I just want Arkansas to be well coached in both sports.  Something we have not had in a long time.

Strange isn't it ? Almost like hey we were wrong about Bert. So lets take the pitchforks out and go after Mike. Yeah that will redeem the ignorant people who thought Bert could coach after watching his first season.. NOT !!!

Mike has changed. He used to be free with his bench. Now his sub patterns indicate that he's lost his team. He still has time to fix it. But like a few others have said. He's giving time to guys like Cook when he should have been having growing pains with guys like Bailey. I remember a few games when Bailey started and got our scoring going early. Then suddenly he wasn't seen from. Its like Mike pushed the panic button and started leaning more and more on his seniors.

Thats very much unlike him. I don't think he's lost his fire. I think when the expectations got high he choked. As soon as we made the top 25 the choke fest started. One of the things that made Mike a good coach was that he had faith in his guys to play the game. He seems to have lost that. His sub patterns have been awful as of late.

USChog

jvanhorn

Quote from: Gonzo on February 03, 2018, 04:37:38 pm
I don't know if it's MA being burned out as much as I think the style is played out, just like the wishbone was in football, and he either refuses to or is incapable of changing. Unless he does, I think we've seen his ceiling, decent but nothing extraordinary or truly exciting. Just all depends on how long the PTB think that is good enough.

It will be good enough as long as they fill up Barnhill.  Let that joint get half or more empty every game and see what happens.  Everyone is excited about Morris and everyone knows Van Horn is a Hall of Fame Baseball coach for sure, so everyone is kinda overlooking basketball or just doesn't care.  Good news for Anderson
Go Hogs!

hogfanny

hogsanity

he is not burned out, he is just only capable of coaching one way, and when it does not work, he has no answers.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rljjr

He's not burned out. He's doing what he does. He's statistically in his wheelhouse in terms of wins and losses. I know why fans are upset -- myself included -- but it's not like there's not a mountain of statistical data to indicate who he is as a head coach. People say he's a great guy and there's no reason to believe otherwise. I'm glad he wanted the challenge of rebuilding our program. I'm happy he's moved the needle in a positive direction, but it's time to find somebody to pick it up and move forward.

Dark Helmet Hog

He has a formula and he follows it, whether it works or not doesn't matter. Same with his press conferences. Every single one sounds exactly the same. Every time. They could save a lot of time and just use a tape.

Sivad

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on February 04, 2018, 09:08:58 am
Same with his press conferences. Every single one sounds exactly the same. Every time. They could save a lot of time and just use a tape.
Afraid his simple cliched press conferences and interviews which are always completely devoid of ANY basketball savy are a window into the problem. Hopefully he is really a basketball genius and very careful not to give away any af the Fastest 40 secrets.

Hogimus Prime

He's never had the fire Nolan had. He doesn't have 'it' like good coaches do.  He and his staff come off a content in what they are doing. No drive

redneckfriend

Quote from: rljjr on February 04, 2018, 08:50:22 am
He's not burned out. He's doing what he does. He's statistically in his wheelhouse in terms of wins and losses. I know why fans are upset -- myself included -- but it's not like there's not a mountain of statistical data to indicate who he is as a head coach. People say he's a great guy and there's no reason to believe otherwise. I'm glad he wanted the challenge of rebuilding our program. I'm happy he's moved the needle in a positive direction, but it's time to find somebody to pick it up and move forward.

All true- let Mike retire on his terms (with some back door nudging and emolument provided by the school). Give it two years and try to get him on board with it. That will prove that Arkansas can be patient with coaches- an important message for prospective future coaches. Right now, from this board, in both football and basketball, it always looks like the pitchforks are out. Last year was great- almost beat the NCs, now it's "fire, fire, fire" because things aren't going as well as the cock-eyed optimists thought they should. Same thing with football- new coach- hasn't done a thing- but he is the best thing since sliced bread. After a few blowouts by the SEC elites (and don't worry- they will come) the same pattern will start over again.

elksnort

Oliver

Quote from: Jimmy on February 03, 2018, 05:08:29 pm
Mike needs to go.  This drill is so old, so predictable, it is embarrassing for a school that actually cares about basketball to have to endure it.

The fans care about winning.   Big difference from the school caring about it

Dark Helmet Hog

Dark Helmet Hog

HoggyCat

He may not be, but I'm burnt out on him.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

porkinsons disease

He basically takes off the better part of March every year to recharge
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Hawg Red

He's not burned out. He's just as good of a coach as he was at UAB and during the Elite 8 run at Missouri.

And that's the problem.

He has been passed by. But we've known this. I think you need more tactical precision and higher IQ play to be successful in today's game, especially if you're a program like Arkansas that usually does not attract elite talent. Back-end top 100 guys aren't going to win you anything with a system like this. You have to coach talent like that up and win not only with talent but with scheme. That's not Mike Anderson. Never has been and never will be.

We're in a weird spot right now. Had a pretty good year last year and two years before that. We have some good recruits coming in (that should never be a factor in keeping a coach, though). The AD that hired Mike is gone but almost 12 million dollars was spent jettisoning the football coach, and they've just given Mike and extension. Nothing in that extension is stopping them from firing him this season if that's what they want to do other than it sending a bad message to other coaches by firing a coach after you literally just gave him an extension.

This is what you get with Mike Anderson. He's not holding anything back. He's not going to get better. He's only going to get worse through the advancements and quality of the coaches around him, but that's just as bad as "becoming" a "bad" coach. As a fan, you can only hope that Mike Anderson somehow finds success as the coach here. You can't be certain of it or confident in it. You can't say that he just needs the players anymore. There is not a talent, either singular or combined, in next year's recruiting class that will be a savior. Each of them are fine players and good gets by the staff. They'd all have done well for themselves to produce at the level Dusty Hannahs, Daryl Macon, Jaylen Barford and Moses Kingsley did at Arkansas. Talent isn't the problem. It's going to be a long wait if you've put yourself in the position of sitting around waiting to catch lightning in a bottle and Arkansas somehow goes on a run. There's nothing to suggest sustainable success. At this point, it's fair to question whether or not the usual MO of a good year, followed by a down year, followed by a good year is even possible in an increasingly-competitive SEC.