Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First game I haven't seen all year but WTH is this

Started by BannerMountainMan, February 04, 2018, 09:10:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

lynbug

Yes, it' s a moving screen.  But, we've got to be able to overcome bad calls.  I seriously doubt there's a national game-calling conspiracy against the Hogs. Sorry if I sound short, sarcastic, whatever, but I listen to HOURS of high emotion post-game analysis from my husband after EVERY GAME (even the wins) informing me about how we got "sc___d again.  And I'm not talking nice polite conversation either. I guess everyone has to vent. 

jusgtohogs

in any game, you control the things you can control.  officiating is not one of those things.  if you want to win, play better defense and be sure you score more points than your opponent-period.

ArkansasI

Is there a belief that a real press no longer works at the college level?  Nolan's early teams pressed and trapped full court - but the teams that he had late in his career applied more of this token pressure that doesn't seem nearly as effective.  Of course, his later teams had less talent, especially down the bench.

I'll never forget how frustrating it was to watch Nolan's later teams try to milk clock at the end of games to reduce possessions.  This strategy seemed to result in the Hogs forcing shots with less than 10 seconds on the shot clock - and allowed opponents to (1) rest on defense and (2) creep back into games.  Very frustrating - led to Nolan's demise, and Arkansas'.

Of course, this all boiled down to talent.  Then, and now, I was amazed that Nolan Richardson was unable to recruit at a level at or above his SEC opponents.  I know that revisions to the hand-checking rule changed defense, but I still think that teams with length and depth can enjoy real success with what Nolan did that got us a national title.

I think that this year's team could similarly wear opponents down.  If implemented, a full court trapping defense would give up easy baskets, but we do that anyway.  At least we might see some fatigue in some of these guys.  LSU and OSU had something like 7-8 scholarship players a piece.  There is no reason that short of a bench should out man the 11 players we have available.

Barford
Macon
Gafford
Thomas
Hall
Beard
Thompson
Jones
Bailey
Cook
Osabuohein

Let's run 'em.

hulk hog

Nolan's teams had multiple guards who could apply on the ball pressure. Mike hasn't had that in 7 seasons. Our pressure seems token at most.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....