Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some real coaching going on

Started by Biggus Piggus, January 16, 2010, 07:19:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

January 16, 2010, 07:19:39 pm Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 07:21:26 pm by Randy Reece
Looks like Pelphrey is going to play the guys who can play well together.  The starters all got more than 30 minutes.  Britt on the wing for defense and dirty work.  It worked out great.

Today, against a well-coached but shorthanded opponent, Pelphrey identified the weaknesses and exploited them.  Justin Knox was such a liability on offense that Anthony Grant had to bench him.  Bama had to go to four guards to try to score and defend better, but it was no use.  For the first time since Missouri State, the Razorbacks held an opponent below 1 point per possession, 0.8 to be exact.  That's outstanding.

Arkansas got 38% of the available offensive rebounds--very good and what was necessary to take advantage of Alabama's chronically weak defensive board work.  And the Hogs also grabbed 80% of the available defensive rebounds, exploiting the absence of Knox.  Terrific, just awesome rebounding.

The game was 67 possessions, fewer than usual, because the Razorbacks had so many long possessions, extended by offensive rebounds.  Arkansas scored 71 points in 67 possessions, their third straight game of pretty good offense against a tough defensive opponent.

It was again only one good half of defense from the Hogs, but after halftime Alabama shot 10-19 inside the arc (good % but low number) and 1-9 outside.  And the Razorbacks defended effectively without a lot of fouls.  Twelve for the game, four in the second half.  Worked better to deny shots and position rather than gamble for turnovers.

Fortson committed a few too many turnovers, but he also had 10 assists, which were indispensible.  The point forward for the Tide, Mikhail Torrance, shot well but scored only 15 while losing six turnovers.  He never went to the line.  Torrance missed most of the first half with foul trouble, but the Tide was worse with him back.

Bama threw at lot at Fortson but couldn't control him.  Fortson had some sweet drives and many beautiful deliveries.

Mike Washington came alive in this game, owning Knox when he was in there and destroying the smaller guys the rest of the time.  Washington had 17 points and 13 rebounds.  He helped the defense without getting in foul trouble.  Wonderfully, Wash was 7-7 at the free throw line.

Marshawn Powell had another wonderful game with 18 points, 10 boards.  He kinda backed off of JaMychal Green in the first half but was very active in the second half.

Pelphrey played six off the bench for a combined 31 minutes, or an average of 5 minutes apiece.  This worked fine.  The bench contributed little in the way of statistics, but Pelphrey spelled the starters enough to keep them from getting gassed.

Rotnei Clarke responded well to Senario Hillman's attempts to intimidate him.  The roughhousing seemed to inspire the Razorbacks, after the first time Hillman elbowed Clarke without getting caught.  Clarke made 50% of his threes and scored 17.

Alabama has three good players but not enough scoring to handle a team as potent as Arkansas is on the offensive end.

The Tide came in 11-5 after a close loss to Vanderbilt to open SEC play.  They were the Hogs' sixth straight top 100 opponent and the second win over one.  Arkansas clearly is playing way above the pre-Fortson trend.

THIS IS WHAT I WANTED TO SEE, Pelphrey guiding the team into a style of play that is rounded and makes sense.  Shot-denial defense and rebounding.  High-low with Washington and Powell.  Fortson putting pressure on the D, over and over.

If Arkansas can handle Alabama like this, the Razorbacks have a good shot at visiting opponents such as Florida, Mississippi State, Auburn, LSU, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Ole Miss.  The next step is to win a road game.  Next three are Kentucky, Mississippi and Georgia.  May be awhile for a road win, though the Rebels are showing some cracks.
[CENSORED]!

WhenPigsFly

January 16, 2010, 07:32:49 pm #1 Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 07:35:12 pm by WhenPigsFly
And it didn't hurt that Alabama missed a lot of wide open threes in the second half.  (1 of 9)

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on January 16, 2010, 07:32:49 pm
And it didn't hurt that Alabama missed a lot of wide open threes in the second half.

There was a reason they were open.  We switched to a defense that allowed them to shoot that and guarded inside like Fort Knox because we knew they were not a great perimeter shooting team.  It is called adjusting the defense to exploit a weakness.  It is a good coaching move.  But, yes, it helps when they don't suddenly have a career night out of the blue, which has also happened to us many times.  That is called the bad side of variance.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Biggus Piggus

Yeah I remember when teams shot poorly against Nolan's Hogs, it was always that they just had a bad shooting day, never anything we did.
[CENSORED]!

fred ziffel

The lineup chemistry was good. Let's hope they can build on this one.
"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: fred ziffel on January 16, 2010, 07:37:54 pm
The lineup chemistry was good. Let's hope they can build on this one.

Chemistry for the Razorbacks has been terrible through the end of Nolan's time, all the way through Heath's, into Pel's.  So much crap has gone down behind the facade.
[CENSORED]!

fred ziffel

Chemistry and teamwork is everything

Quote from: Randy Reece on January 16, 2010, 07:39:51 pm
Chemistry for the Razorbacks has been terrible through the end of Nolan's time, all the way through Heath's, into Pel's.  So much crap has gone down behind the facade.
"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: Randy Reece on January 16, 2010, 07:36:37 pm
Yeah I remember when teams shot poorly against Nolan's Hogs, it was always that they just had a bad shooting day, never anything we did.

A lot of those second half three point shots missed were wide open looks.  If that was our strategery, then it worked well.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on January 16, 2010, 07:42:51 pm
A lot of those second half three point shots missed were wide open looks.  If that was our strategery, then it worked well.

It was pretty obviously our strategy.  We gave them those shots because they aren't good at hitting them.  Took away the inside.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.

Razor6

Welsh goes in and screws up... then rides the pine.  Nice call!   
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

deucea729

Quote from: fred ziffel on January 16, 2010, 07:41:59 pm
Chemistry and teamwork is everything

Speaking of - I'm just waiting for Fortson to develop with Powell the chemistry and trust that he has now with Washington.  Watching them play, it just looks like Fortson is willing to trust MWash with some passes that he may not necessarily zip to Powell just yet.

As he realizes he's got another bona fide stud in the true freshman, look for that kind of chemistry to grow between him and Marshawn.  Can't wait.

Biggus Piggus

Well it will be a much different thing to actually beat a team that is good at outside shooting.
[CENSORED]!

thirtythree

Randy, another great job. You should really get paid for that work. Sorry, I couldn't afford ya.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Razor6 on January 16, 2010, 07:44:50 pm
Welsh goes in and screws up... then rides the pine.  Nice call!   

Finally.  I think a little light went on in Pel's head plus everyone else was playing well enough to keep Pel from having to use Welsh.  I wonder if this had anything to do with the improved chemistry.  Also maybe the hard fouls brought the team together as well, and they finally said F these b****es
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Danny J

Quote from: deucea729 on January 16, 2010, 07:49:37 pm
Speaking of - I'm just waiting for Fortson to develop with Powell the chemistry and trust that he has now with Washington.  Watching them play, it just looks like Fortson is willing to trust MWash with some passes that he may not necessarily zip to Powell just yet.

As he realizes he's got another bona fide stud in the true freshman, look for that kind of chemistry to grow between him and Marshawn.  Can't wait.
+1  I have been saying this for a week now. Once they start to gel we could "POSSIBLY" win 8 games in the sec this year.

rude1

The game was virtually even in all statistical categories except for rebounding, and free throws. For one of the few times, we dominated the glass. The margin of victory though came from the free throw line.

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on January 16, 2010, 11:41:53 pm
The game was virtually even in all statistical categories except for rebounding, and free throws. For one of the few times, we dominated the glass. The margin of victory though came from the free throw line.
And hustle down the stretch. Our substitution patterns seem to be improving which allows players to be fresh at the end of the game. We almost beat MSU because of our conditioning and we pulled away from bama because of our conditioning IMO.

rude1

Quote from: headhawg7 on January 16, 2010, 11:44:13 pm
And hustle down the stretch. Our substitution patterns seem to be improving which allows players to be fresh at the end of the game. We almost beat MSU because of our conditioning and we pulled away from bama because of our conditioning IMO.
Actually the substitution pattern wasn't that great. Five guys logged 30+ minutes nobody else got more than 8. We won the game but how long can you keep up playing guys 35 minutes a game?

GuvHog

Quote from: rude1 on January 16, 2010, 11:49:12 pm
Actually the substitution pattern wasn't that great. Five guys logged 30+ minutes nobody else got more than 8. We won the game but how long can you keep up playing guys 35 minutes a game?

Simple. You use your bench players just enough to allow your main players to get just a little rest which is what Pel
is doing and it's working.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rude1

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 16, 2010, 11:52:46 pm
Simple. You use your bench players just enough to allow your main players to get just a little rest which is what Pel
The question is, how long can that work?  I don't think you can run a full 16 game conference season giving 5 guys 30+ minutes a game. I believe it will show up in their legs towards the end of the season.

pigsooie1000

Quote from: Randy Reece on January 16, 2010, 08:09:26 pm
Well it will be a much different thing to actually beat a team that is good at outside shooting.

Good point there.  If it had been Ravern Johnson, Barry Stewart, and Dee Bost shooting those 3's instead of Anthony Brock, Davis, and Torrence we might have been in a little more trouble.  That remains our glaring defensive weakness and while it will never be a strength (unless Rotnei and Fortson suddenly grow a couple of inches) cutting down on the all-alone attempts will be key in games vs Vandy, Florida, MSU, etc.   

I was very encouraged by today's effort, specifically Washington.  I guess his back is feeling a lot better because he was all over the place.  I had forgotten how elite of an athlete he was until today.  He can cover some ground as he showed on the two times he slipped screens near the 3-point line caught the ball and dunked easily (once was wiped off). 

I also figure the bench will have to get more time when we play more up-tempo opponents.  So far in conference play Alabama is 11th in the league (with a large drop from 10th) in tempo averaging 64 possessions a game. 

1. MSU 73.3
2. USC 72.7
3. Kentucky 71.7
3. Georgia 71.7
3. Auburn 71.7
6. Ole Miss 71.6
7. Arkansas 70.5
8. Vandy 69.7
9. Tennessee 69
10. Florida 68.7
11. Alabama 64
12. LSU 63.3

I'd expect Farmer to get a slight increase in minutes if they change the distribution of the bench players time when we need to.  He flashed aggressiveness and driving ability at times today but seemed nervous and trying to force a few things (which always happens when slumping). 

Danny J

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 16, 2010, 11:52:46 pm
I agree. Pelphrey is finally getting the lineups that work best for us on the floor at the same time. I imagine that britt will be the starter in place of farmer unless he deicdes to go big.

akahogfan

Quote from: rude1 on January 16, 2010, 11:41:53 pm
Even if they had shot the same number of free throws, our ft% was much better than theirs. Also, there are several times that rotnie was fouled and nothing was called. those are easy points right there. To pretend that ft's are not part of the game is silly.   

thirtythree

Quote from: headhawg7 on January 16, 2010, 11:44:13 pm

I totally agree with this. This is what I hope for the rest of the season. I hope that when our subs get in they can run just like the starters (and score points) to keep the heat on. If they're only going to play 5-7 minutes on average might as well run them like deer.

Razorod

developing a bench is the next step in "making progress" for this team.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Washington finally playing hard makes a huge difference.  Think maybe he was tired of Powell looking better than him.

Farmboy

Is Forestcityjoe not allowed to post in this thread?  8)

rockyb_78

the Powell and Washington combo is starting to get exciting. I liked seeing Fortson drive and pull the d away from Clarke

Niels Boar

Britt is an unsung hero.  He seemed to take Torrance most of the time (watched it on my laptop) and made him work to produce.  Torrance had 6 TOs by himself  even though we only had 4 steals as a team.  Britt also had 3 assists (2 for dunks), 4 boards, and only 1 TO in 33 minutes.  His one trey came at the "breaking point" for Bama when we put on a run to get separation from which Bama never recovered.  Almost everything Britt does on the court is positive.

Fortson is the most difficult player to critique in Arkansas history. He is making way too many TOs and probably took 5 too many treys. In a one-possession game those wasted possessions could have cost us.  On the other hand, he had 10 assists and was 5-10 inside the arc.  He also hustled on D.  It would help if he would cut down on the bad decisions a little to go along with his considerable contributions.  He is definitely the heart of our team.  I am really looking forward to the Wall duel.  UK isn't exactly blowing SEC opponents out either.

Kudos to the high energy Washington brought.  He played his butt off, and it seemed contagious.  Even though we didn't get results in the first half on D, it wasn't from a lack of effort.  Pel deserves a lot of credit for halftime adjustments.  He funneled the energy into a better plan in the second half, as against MSU.  The rest of the SEC isn't looking forward to dealing with Washington and Powell on the blocks.

Nice bounce-back game for Clarke, too. The starting five look formidable.

rude1

Quote from: akafish77 on January 17, 2010, 12:52:03 am
Even if they had shot the same number of free throws, our ft% was much better than theirs. Also, there are several times that rotnie was fouled and nothing was called. those are easy points right there. To pretend that ft's are not part of the game is silly.  
If those free throw numbers had been reversed, who on here wouldn't have been screaming how we got jobbed? I just want to see a clean win, where it don't come down to the guys in the stripped shirts giving you the edge.

Science Fiction Greg

lol at thinking the refs gave Arkansas the edge in this game.

GuvHog

Quote from: rude1 on January 17, 2010, 12:18:06 pm
If those free throw numbers had been reversed, who on here wouldn't have been screaming how we got jobbed? I just want to see a clean win, where it don't come down to the guys in the stripped shirts giving you the edge.

If you were watching, you saw it yesterday. Alabama has been known for picking up a lot of fouls all year, yesterday
was no exception.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

chiefsfan

Alabama is a bad 3 point shooting team.  Arkansas was up by 6 or 7 points and decided to play zone and force Bama to make 3 point shots.   Yes there will be open shots, thats the entire object.  for them to take open shots outside because there is a much lower percentage chance of that going in then a contested shot inside
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ge-erdone

January 17, 2010, 03:09:55 pm #33 Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 03:14:18 pm by ge-erdone
Quote from: rude1 on January 17, 2010, 12:18:06 pm
The large majority of games are decided at the ft line.

Did you hear the color analysist of the Ark-MS game I believe it was, commenting on when he was coaching, of complaining to the ref that his team had 20 fouls called, and the other team had four, and the ref replied, "tell your team to quit fouling".

SemperFi

I liked what I saw from the HOGS yesterday. They hustled on defense and crashed the boards hard. Pelphrey looked in control and had a good game plan to stop Bama, which the HOGS executed quite well. Marshawn Powell is as good as any Player on the floor and hopefully, with a solid recruiting class the HOGS will once again be a force in the SEC.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

rude1

Quote from: Corndog7 on January 17, 2010, 12:30:15 pm
lol at thinking the refs gave Arkansas the edge in this game.
You guys don't handle the facts very well. Go look yourself. Go see that the game was equal in all aspects but rebounding and free throw attempts. The field goal attempts were virtually the same. That tells me that the extra rebounds turned into free throws and not extra attempts at the basket.

Some of you guys are afraid to analyze anything. It was a good win and a must win IMO, but you still need to analyze how you did it. I am simply saying you can't depend on winning in that manner consistently.

LA Football fan

Why aren't you complaining about the fact that MSU shot more free throws than us at their place and that was more than enough to produce the two point margin?????????

Quote from: rude1 on January 17, 2010, 03:41:43 pm
You guys don't handle the facts very well. Go look yourself. Go see that the game was equal in all aspects but rebounding and free throw attempts. The field goal attempts were virtually the same. That tells me that the extra rebounds turned into free throws and not extra attempts at the basket.

Some of you guys are afraid to analyze anything. It was a good win and a must win IMO, but you still need to analyze how you did it. I am simply saying you can't depend on winning in that manner consistently.

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: rude1 on January 17, 2010, 03:41:43 pm

What does any of that have to do with the refs giving Arkansas the edge?  If they were fouls, then the refs gave them nothing.  If anything, in that game, I saw more Alabama fouls not being called than anything else wrong the refs were doing (several missed calls on Rotnei, just for a quick example).

BigoBoys

I just don't get playing Cox ahead of Bryant and even Farmer.  Cox will not make any mistakes, will graduate, but doesn't bring a lot after that.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: BigoBoys on January 17, 2010, 04:43:20 pm
I just don't get playing Cox ahead of Bryant and even Farmer.  Cox will not make any mistakes, will graduate, but doesn't bring a lot after that.

There ya go.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hillhog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2010, 04:45:59 pm
There ya go.
While I am not a huge Cox fan, a couple of things Pel might have on his mind, how everyone performs in practice, Cox does have a little more experience therefore maybe handles pressure a little better than a younger player, gives a starter much needed breather. Just something to think about

BigoBoys

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: BigoBoys on January 17, 2010, 05:44:58 pm
So you are willing to be conservative with this team?

If Pel wants him to play, then he plays. It's not rocket science. Role players need to know their roles. Cox obviously knows his. Farmer and Bryant will adjust, in time.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

rude1

Quote from: Corndog7 on January 17, 2010, 04:37:23 pm
What does any of that have to do with the refs giving Arkansas the edge?  If they were fouls, then the refs gave them nothing.  If anything, in that game, I saw more Alabama fouls not being called than anything else wrong the refs were doing (several missed calls on Rotnei, just for a quick example).
Right. The next game that figure favors the opposition, I am going to remind you of that statement. Because according to you, the refs just get it right.

TennesseeRaz

4 charges taken by Washington!  That says a lot to me.

BigoBoys

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2010, 07:19:59 pm
If Pel wants him to play, then he plays. It's not rocket science. Role players need to know their roles. Cox obviously knows his. Farmer and Bryant will adjust, in time.
Speaking of rocket science, if you were going to kill time why not the tallest most athletic player you have?

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: rude1 on January 17, 2010, 07:25:15 pm
Right. The next game that figure favors the opposition, I am going to remind you of that statement. Because according to you, the refs just get it right.

Excuse me?  I did not say that.  In fact, I said they missed calls on Alabama.  Even if I had, that does not have any bearing on future games, now does it?

Please, practice reading comprehension.  That was an awful display of it.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: BigoBoys on January 17, 2010, 07:47:24 pm
Speaking of rocket science, if you were going to kill time why not the tallest most athletic player you have?

If you're talking about Bryant (who isn't the taller player on thye team),  he can't handle the rock very well, his passing isn't very crisp, and he appearantly doesn't show the staff he's ready for major minutes just yet.

When you're the coach, you can put in whomever you want. Yeah, you could put in the guy who can make people ooo and aww once in a while, or you can play the kid that shows he knows better of what he's supposed to be doing out there in order to help the team win.