Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beat Bama...Rest of Year Outlook...

Started by Hot_Town_Hog, January 16, 2010, 01:51:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot_Town_Hog

We just played two tops down to the wire. One of those may be the best team in the Country. We can win a lot of games if we just play hard, especially on "D". And also need to remember Powell can do damage when we get him the ball down low.

If the team plays hard again today, I expect a decent margin of victory which will be nice for fans and should give the team a nice shot of confidence.

Still say the Dance invite is still out there, but it will take a finish like we have not seen in years. This team can do it, but will they is the question.

Right now we are 7-9 and 0-1. If we win today, I can honestly see us with a chance at going 11-4 the rest of the way. The losses include @ KY, @ Ole Piss, @ UGA, and @ Tenn. Some will laugh at that statement, but the schedule really opens up for us if we can make it through the next few games.

If we could finish 11-4 over the last 15, we would be sitting at 18-13 and 11-5 in the SEC. Pick up two wins in the SECT to hit 20, and I really think we have a shot come March. Finishing 11-5 should also assure we get a bye in the SECT, which should help our chances to win the SECT to solidify a bid.

The last wildcard will remain how the selection committee views our early season losses when playing without Fortson and many others. We should get some break if we have proved to be a much better team with all the pieces in place.

First thing we have to do is get a win, which I think we will today, hopefully in front of a very supportive crowd.

Go Hogs!!!

Danny J

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on January 16, 2010, 01:51:35 am
We just played two tops down to the wire. One of those may be the best team in the Country. We can win a lot of games if we just play hard, especially on "D". And also need to remember Powell can do damage when we get him the ball down low.

If the team plays hard again today, I expect a decent margin of victory which will be nice for fans and should give the team a nice shot of confidence.

Still say the Dance invite is still out there, but it will take a finish like we have not seen in years. This team can do it, but will they is the question.

Right now we are 7-9 and 0-1. If we win today, I can honestly see us with a chance at going 11-4 the rest of the way. The losses include @ KY, @ Ole Piss, @ UGA, and @ Tenn. Some will laugh at that statement, but the schedule really opens up for us if we can make it through the next few games.

If we could finish 11-4 over the last 15, we would be sitting at 18-13 and 11-5 in the SEC. Pick up two wins in the SECT to hit 20, and I really think we have a shot come March. Finishing 11-5 should also assure we get a bye in the SECT, which should help our chances to win the SECT to solidify a bid.

The last wildcard will remain how the selection committee views our early season losses when playing without Fortson and many others. We should get some break if we have proved to be a much better team with all the pieces in place.

First thing we have to do is get a win, which I think we will today, hopefully in front of a very supportive crowd.

Go Hogs!!!
Thats pretty optimistic. I think we would be lucky to go 8-8 with one sec tourny win. I will be happy with that and would consider giving pel another year. I think this team still lacks the confidence to win on the road. We made alot of changes on defense during the second half of the msu game which is something we have been lacking. Pelphrey needs to get better at making changes on the fly during timeouts.

thirtythree

I would love to go to the big dance more than anyone. However, i think setting that "very unrealistic" goal would just set up for a huge disappointment at the end of the season. I think it would be wise/smart to just enjoy the games right now and let the chips fall wherever they may at the end of the season. If that translates into post season play then great. If it means that we made progress but fell short of post season play then I would be ok with that. If we don't make much progress at all (record wise; 3-4 wins) then we might need to search for a new leader.

Call it apathy or whatever, but I say it's being realistic.

I do love the optimistic and I love it.

Marshfieldhog

So if we win 5 or 6 league games its all good? I would be willing to give pel another year if he makes the nit.

Coach Obvious

I'm afraid our best chance at the big dance is winning the SEC tourney.

The_Truth

Wow Hot_Town, I don't know what you are smoking and/or drinking, but you need to lay off man because its got you all messed up.

thirtythree

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on January 16, 2010, 07:39:04 am
So if we win 5 or 6 league games its all good? I would be willing to give pel another year if he makes the nit.

You don't pay attention to much on here do you? I will spell it out for you in this thread now. If we win 5 games in conference I would look at our overall performance (not just the w/l). I predicted anywhere from a 6-10 to an 8-8 conference record. I have been with that the whole time. It has not changed.

WilsonHog

Quote from: thirtythree on January 16, 2010, 09:19:40 am
You don't pay attention to much on here do you? I will spell it out for you in this thread now. If we win 5 games in conference I would look at our overall performance (not just the w/l). I predicted anywhere from a 6-10 to an 8-8 conference record. I have been with that the whole time. It has not changed.

Why are you being a jerk?

I too am fine with Pel if we make the NIT.

The main problem Hogville has is people - including you - who cannot post an opinion without getting personal.

thirtythree

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 16, 2010, 11:30:13 am
Why are you being a jerk?

I too am fine with Pel if we make the NIT.

The main problem Hogville has is people - including you - who cannot post an opinion without getting personal.

Well, Wilson, it's the sme reason I have sen you say in the past. How many times do you have to explain yourself on the same subjetc?

I didn't get personal either. I may have been a jerk in my response, but I didn't get personal and call anyone a name. he has responded to my posts before on this very subject. You know as well as I do that it was a sarcastic question as well.

I apologize for being a jerk in my response.

elksnort

Today's game is sort of a must win if we are going to go 0.500 and maybe make the NIT. I am sticking with my goal for this team. Win 0.500 and make the NIT. Today's game is a must win or it will be an indicator game of what is to follow.

Hot_Town_Hog

No doubt this was slightly optimistic, but I stand by saying this is an NCAAT team with all the pieces in place. The preseason was a killer with all the suspensions, but I have to hold on to at least a little hope as March Madness is the most exciting month in sports.

Hogs will win if they bring it like we saw the last 2 games (minus first 15 minutes @ MSU).

Hogs 85  Bama 72

Go Hogs!!!

elksnort

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on January 16, 2010, 12:26:10 pm
No doubt this was slightly optimistic, but I stand by saying this is an NCAAT team with all the pieces in place. The preseason was a killer with all the suspensions, but I have to hold on to at least a little hope as March Madness is the most exciting month in sports.

Hogs will win if they bring it like we saw the last 2 games (minus first 15 minutes @ MSU).

Hogs 85  Bama 72

Go Hogs!!!
an NCAAT team??????

I have not had my first beer yet. Maybe it's time I start.

Danny J

Quote from: elksnort on January 16, 2010, 01:42:16 pm
an NCAAT team??????

I have not had my first beer yet. Maybe it's time I start.
lol

Hot_Town_Hog

One down....only need 10 more to hit the magic number!! In all seriousness, there are only about 3 games I see on the schedule that appear to be locks for losses. We still have to win one on the road, but getting that first one just might give us the confidence to get 3 or 4 on the road.