Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Too Bad Clarke isnt 6ft. 4-5

Started by jman, January 15, 2010, 02:45:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaverfever

Just reread the thread.  Still busting a gut over that Stockton comment. 

IronHog

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 16, 2010, 01:30:26 pm
Players like Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Hakeem were the same way...Oh wait, they played the same time Stockton did!  That's just not possible.

Seattle's starting frontline, a team Utah (Stockton was on that team, FYI) BEAT to go to the Finals, was 6'9, 6'10, 7'0.

Stop making stuff up.!

1.  Those guys were sloth's compared to today's front line players.

Guys like Garnett and Howard have taken the place of the traditional play within a few feet of the basket center.

2.  The NBA of yesterday was built on skills.  Today's NBA is built on the uberathlete highlight for sportscenter.  Stockton wouldn't have nearly the success in today's NBA no matter what you guys think. 

(He probably wouldn't even have played BB anyway if he came up in the USA today.  The vast majority of skill first players come from europe.)
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

thirtythree

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 16, 2010, 08:18:43 am
This is the frontrunner for my "Dumbest post of the weekend"  award.

I would have to agree with this.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: IronHog on January 16, 2010, 03:41:36 pm

Guys like Garnett and Howard have taken the place of the traditional play within a few feet of the basket center.

2.  The NBA of yesterday was built on skills.  Today's NBA is built on the uberathlete highlight for sportscenter.  Stockton wouldn't have nearly the success in today's NBA no matter what you guys think. 

(He probably wouldn't even have played BB anyway if he came up in the USA today.  The vast majority of skill first players come from europe.)

Ewing, Robinson and Hakeem the Dream were not sloths.   All three had very good footwork and could run the floor.   

Howard is athletic and strong but those three would have him on the bench in foul trouble before tip off.

TDHog

Getting back to the thread......it is a good thing, because then maybe he could be among the league leaders in PPG and FG%, oh wait ;-)

HogInThaGrove

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 16, 2010, 03:47:38 pm
Ewing, Robinson and Hakeem the Dream were not sloths.   All three had very good footwork and could run the floor.   

Howard is athletic and strong but those three would have him on the bench in foul trouble before tip off.

I might leave Ewing out of that bunch, he was athletic in the NBA for like 1.5 seasons, then his knees went to pot and he couldn't run anymore.  Still a very very very effective center though, in those times.  The Dream would make alot of these kids look retarded these days, he was the man. David Robinson was very good and is a better person.  I hate the spurs, but love DR.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: IronHog on January 16, 2010, 03:41:36 pmGuys like Garnett and Howard have taken the place of the traditional play within a few feet of the basket center.

Yep, all two of them.

Who else?

A Garnett is a dime a dozen, according to you.

6'8+ players that can dribble and shoot are SOOOOO two decades ago.

I'm happy that you've just now discovered basketball.  Welcome to the club.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

spahoopsfan

Quote from: IronHog on January 15, 2010, 09:09:23 pm
I tried to tell people here his height would be an issue.  Very few would listen.

Clarke would be VERY good on a high IQ team that could play to his strengths and hide his weakness.  Most SEC teams will force him to shoot from NBA range and abuse him on the defensive end of the floor with less skilled more athletic players.  Arkansas could use him better, but they don't have the smarts to do it..........
You act like he isn't doing very well.  He leads the conference in three point percentage and is second in scoring and is defended very game with someone five to six inches taller.  His biggest need is for the hogs to have another outside shooter which Farmer was suppose to be. 

IronHog

Quote from: spahoopsfan on January 16, 2010, 07:22:58 pm
You act like he isn't doing very well.  He leads the conference in three point percentage and is second in scoring and is defended very game with someone five to six inches taller.  His biggest need is for the hogs to have another outside shooter which Farmer was suppose to be. 

I like Clarke, but he struggles to get his shot off against good D, and the other team simply plays over his head when he is on defense.

Really hard for a team to run two guards as short as Fortson and Clarke at the same time and play decent perimeter defense.  The better guards are either taller or can elevate over them even if they do a decent job closing out........

IronHog

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 16, 2010, 05:32:19 pm
Yep, all two of them.

Who else?

A Garnett is a dime a dozen, according to you.

6'8+ players that can dribble and shoot are SOOOOO two decades ago.

I'm happy that you've just now discovered basketball.  Welcome to the club.

I followed basketball a great deal when they still played basketball.

This modern, "urbanized" version of the game isn't very entertaining to me.

fantom

IT was too bad I wasn't 6-4 and 250. I'd be starting tight end for the razorback. Ive already got the 4.6 in the 40.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: IronHog on January 16, 2010, 10:56:14 pmThis modern, "urbanized" version of the game isn't very entertaining to me.

Guys that can dribble, shoot, and play D aren't very entertaining?

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

rude1

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 16, 2010, 08:18:43 am
This is the frontrunner for my "Dumbest post of the weekend"  award.
^^^ This. John Stockon would play and star in any era.

rude1

Quote from: IronHog on January 16, 2010, 03:41:36 pm

You seem to know less about the game than anyone posting in this thread. On Stockton's own team was a 7'4"Center in Mark Eaton, and a 6'9" bull power Forward in Karl Malone. Yet you seem to say there was no size playing back then. The Stockton & Malone pick and roll would work in any era you put it in, including today. Hell everyone knew that was the play Utah was going to run, yet it worked for a decade or better.

IronHog

Quote from: rude1 on January 17, 2010, 12:48:15 pm
You seem to know less about the game than anyone posting in this thread. On Stockton's own team was a 7'4"Center in Mark Eaton, and a 6'9" bull power Forward in Karl Malone. Yet you seem to say there was no size playing back then. The Stockton & Malone pick and roll would work in any era you put it in, including today. Hell everyone knew that was the play Utah was going to run, yet it worked for a decade or better.

Mark Eaton is a great example of the type of player that no longer plays in the NBA.  He was mostly a lane clogger that wouldn't have the athleticism to match up with today's jump first, skill second NBA players.

Most Stockton's success came from playing with a guy like Malone in the specific era he played.    He wouldn't have nearly the success in today's NBA.

IronHog

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 17, 2010, 10:26:57 am
Guys that can dribble, shoot, and play D aren't very entertaining?

Arkansas has those?

Lando Calrissian

Yeah, playing with the great Antoine Carr definitely skewed Stockton's stats.

crjep

This thread gets my vote for worst ever, and at the same time sets the record for the single most igorant statments in one thread. 

For those saying Clarke has trouble getting his shot off, struggles, etc - 3 point percentage - 48.8;  61 - most 3 pointers in the country;  Can't get his shot off versus bigger teams - vs. now #1 Texas, 8 of 16, and 4 of 10 from 3 point line, team high 24 points;    And.....he plays for a team that won't even begin to screen for him and a point guard that does not pass him the ball (at least Fortson has managed to now become the NCAA leader in turnovers per game).   

AND....HE'S A SOPHOMORE!!!!

And to say Stockton couldn't make it in today's NBA....What can you say - he retired, what 5 years ago;  led the leage 9 years straight in assists and has the most assists in history at 15,806 (Magic is just over 10,000);  All time steal leader at 3,625 - I don't think anyone is even within 1,000 steals of him.

Todays NBA is much less talented than the 80's - 90's due to having more teams,kids entering at a much younger age and the dominance of AAU basketball that doesn't allow skill players to develop.

Again, absurd thread - I've often said I could have made it in the NBA, if I had just been 12 inches taller, could shoot better, jump higher, pass better, better rebounder......... 

SunshinePumper

Quote from: crjep on January 18, 2010, 09:21:02 am
This thread gets my vote for worst ever, and at the same time sets the record for the single most igorant statments in one thread. 

For those saying Clarke has trouble getting his shot off, struggles, etc - 3 point percentage - 48.8;  61 - most 3 pointers in the country;  Can't get his shot off versus bigger teams - vs. now #1 Texas, 8 of 16, and 4 of 10 from 3 point line, team high 24 points;    And.....he plays for a team that won't even begin to screen for him and a point guard that does not pass him the ball (at least Fortson has managed to now become the NCAA leader in turnovers per game).   

AND....HE'S A SOPHOMORE!!!!

And to say Stockton couldn't make it in today's NBA....What can you say - he retired, what 5 years ago;  led the leage 9 years straight in assists and has the most assists in history at 15,806 (Magic is just over 10,000);  All time steal leader at 3,625 - I don't think anyone is even within 1,000 steals of him.

Todays NBA is much less talented than the 80's - 90's due to having more teams,kids entering at a much younger age and the dominance of AAU basketball that doesn't allow skill players to develop.

Again, absurd thread - I've often said I could have made it in the NBA, if I had just been 12 inches taller, could shoot better, jump higher, pass better, better rebounder.........

If I was a 8 feet tall and 400lb , I'd show Shaquille O'Neal who's boss.
Huggers Laid to Rest:
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=325641.0
Quote from: Breems on February 27, 2010, 11:31:16 pm
I believe Pel deserves at least 2 more years to get some post players in to accompany our decent backcourt.  If he can't get us to the NCAAT in 2 years then I'll definitely change my mind.
Quote from: Breems on March 12, 2010, 07:28:31 am
I understand giving a coach time, but giving Pel time will solve NOTHING.

ICEman

The Bird Man from French Lick was 6' 9".
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Lando Calrissian

Rotnei might only be 5'11, but with the support of our crazy wild Hog wild insane fans he plays like he's 153'7!

jman

January 19, 2010, 04:52:41 pm #71 Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:55:49 pm by jman
If Shaq were 6 - 6, he may have never played in the NBA, heck he may have never D1 either.  You guys telling me that height dont make a difference in a skilled player?   How bout a 6 foot Michael Jordan?  6 foot Larry Bird.........think those guys would have been able to dominate if they were 6 foot tall?  Nope!  Is Clarke going to grow any taller....probably not, but just for arguments sake, lets say he grows 4 inches this summer.  None of you think a 6foot 4 Clarke wouldnt be an SEC nightmare for defenders?