Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OMG.....

Started by rude1, January 14, 2010, 09:27:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rude1

January 14, 2010, 09:27:25 pm Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:31:57 pm by rude1
you want to know why I am so critical of Fortson? Just looked at the stats. 9-26 from the field. He put up 26 freaking field goal attempts, while Powell goes 10-16.  We have a point guard who doesn't understand who has the hot hand and where the ball should be going. I said it last game and I will say it again. He led the team in field goal attempts last season, and was one of the weakest shooters, he has picked right back up where he left off last season. I see no change.

Also, as I warned after the TX. game. When he gets in SEC play they will not bail him out with the whistle when he goes barreling into the lane out of control, they will let the play continue and he will either turn it over, have his shot blocked, or throw up a crazy shot. He had 0 free throw attempts in this game.

Breems

Quote from: rude1 on January 14, 2010, 09:27:25 pm
you want to know why I am so critical of Fortson? Just looked at the stats. 9-26 from the field. He put up 26 freaking field goal attempts, while Powell goes 10-16.  We have a point guard who doesn't understand who has the hot hand and where the ball should be going. I said it last game and I will say it again. He led the team in field goal attempts last season, and was one of the weakest shooters, he has picked right back up where he left off last season. I see no change.

Whether you like him or not, he's our best option at the point. 
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

rude1

Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2010, 09:31:26 pm
Whether you like him or not, he's our best option at the point. 
Pelphrey needs to get a grip on him. I know he is the best we have, but it is Pelphrey's JOB, to get a handle on this kid and let him know what is expected of him as the point guard on this team. That going out and throwing up 26 shots is not winning basketball for this team.

yraciv

and only 6 of them were blocked by Varnado! haha
Yes Fortson is a terrible decision maker, but we're much better with him then without.  A lot of games he'll get those bailout fouls on those shots, just not against MS State.  Got to remember he is just getting his legs under him, so still rusty.  Don't know if he'll ever get the decision making down.

rude1

Quote from: yraciv on January 14, 2010, 09:35:36 pm
and only 6 of them were blocked by Varnado! haha
Yes Fortson is a terrible decision maker, but we're much better with him then without.  A lot of games he'll get those bailout fouls on those shots, just not against MS State.  Got to remember he is just getting his legs under him, so still rusty.  Don't know if he'll ever get the decision making down.
My major concern with him is, two games back, two games being the leader in shot attempts. This time 10 shots more than his leading competitor. That is not winning basketball for your point guard, especially when you had an option down low in Powell who was having his way with those guys.

nextlevel

Pel's offense is a marvel, it puts the old Knight motion offense to shame, so it really is hard to believe Fortson is jacking up 26 shots instead of being patient and allowing all that movement to present a better shot.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Hot_Town_Hog

I will take Fortson anyday as our point guard....he makes things happen, including driving to the basket...many of his shots are also put back in from an offensive board. Tonight was tough with Vinardo. The guy is a crazy good shot blocker.

rude1

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on January 14, 2010, 09:42:18 pm
I will take Fortson anyday as our point guard....he makes things happen, including driving to the basket...many of his shots are also put back in from an offensive board. Tonight was tough with Vinardo. The guy is a crazy good shot blocker.
I think Fortson is getting too much credit. They were in the game despite Fortson, not because of. 9-26 from the field. 5Assists/3Turns, those are hardly numbers from your point guard that I look at and say he made us so much better.

chiefsfan

Quote from: rude1 on January 14, 2010, 09:47:25 pm
I think Fortson is getting too much credit. They were in the game despite Fortson, not because of. 9-26 from the field. 5Assists/3Turns, those are hardly numbers from your point guard that I look at and say he made us so much better.

I wouldnt say that   Nobles was overmatched today when he was out there.  I dont think we would have done much better

Fortson had 16 at half
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

jry04

Keep in mind this is only Fortson's 2nd game in months. He missed 4 or 5 easy layups due to Varnardo being such a presence He was also fouled on 3 or 4 of those shot attempts. Him and Powell were our only options tonight. Fortson would have had quite a few more assists had Clarke hit the threes he usually hits, or Washington could make a layup instead of throwing up garbage.

rude1

Quote from: chiefsfan on January 14, 2010, 09:51:55 pm
I wouldnt say that   Nobles was overmatched today when he was out there.  I dont think we would have done much better

Fortson had 16 at half
My complaint with Fortson is he is shooting way too much for a point guard, at such a low percentage. 31% for the first game, 35% for this game, yet he continues to throw up shots without a conscious. It is Pelphrey's job to get this guy under control, or we will pay for it as the season unfolds.

la20688

If Fortson didn't  play tonight, we lose by 20.  Plain and simple!  Did he drive me crazy at the end of the game a few times?.........Yes!  But if he's not on the floor, I'm not watching at the end of the game.

rude1

Quote from: la20688 on January 14, 2010, 10:01:46 pm
If Fortson didn't  play tonight, we lose by 20.  Plain and simple!  Did he drive me crazy at the end of the game a few times?.........Yes!  But if he's not on the floor, I'm not watching at the end of the game.

The stats don't bear out what you are saying. The stats clearly show he hurt this team tonight with his selfish play. What game have we won thus far with him this season? 0-2 with him in the lineup. Before you say how much better we have played. Didn't we see that in the UAB game before he got back? We are playing better IMO because of the emergence of Powell.

GuvHog

Quote from: rude1 on January 14, 2010, 10:05:17 pm
The stats don't bear out what you are saying. The stats clearly show he hurt this team tonight with his selfish play. What game have we won thus far with him this season? 0-2 with him in the lineup. Before you say how much better we have played. Didn't we see that in the UAB game before he got back? We are playing better IMO because of the emergence of Powell.

The stats don't bear out what he's saying?? Fortson scored 20 points tonight and is once again
the #2 scorer on the team. You're wrong on this one.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

lr52879

IMO, that stat tends to be misleading for a player like Fortson.  Often times a missed shot from him when he goes inside allows for an easy follow up from someone else.  Sure, he didn't get the basket, but we got the points.  That said, he still shot way too much tonight.

GuvHog

Quote from: lr52879 on January 14, 2010, 10:18:30 pm
IMO, that stat tends to be misleading for a player like Fortson.  Often times a missed shot from him when he goes inside allows for an easy follow up from someone else.  Sure, he didn't get the basket, but we got the points.  That said, he still shot way too much tonight.

That's because no one else got open and Vardano wasn't being called for many fouls underneath.

rude1

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 14, 2010, 10:17:24 pm
The stats don't bear out what he's saying?? Fortson scored 20 points tonight and is once again
the #2 scorer on the team. You're wrong on this one.
Jeez he scored 20 points on 26 shots, most opponents will take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Does field goal percentage not play a part in you guys thinking? All you guys do is look at the final score, see it was close, see that Fortson played and scored double figures, and think he must be making a good positive impact. Look at the numbers, he isn't helping this team as of yet.

thirtythree

If I heard it right we still outscored them in the paint. That's better than I thought.

rude1

Quote from: thirtythree on January 14, 2010, 10:26:35 pm
If I heard it right we still outscored them in the paint. That's better than I thought.
If Fortson would have shot less and looked for Powell more, there was an opportunity to win that game. Those guys were unable to even slow him down, he was having his way, when he got the ball.

GuvHog

Quote from: rude1 on January 14, 2010, 10:24:45 pm
Jeez he scored 20 points on 26 shots, most opponents will take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Does field goal percentage not play a part in you guys thinking? All you guys do is look at the final score, see it was close, see that Fortson played and scored double figures, and think he must be making a good positive impact. Look at the numbers, he isn't helping this team as of yet.

When your best shooter goes 2 -7 from 3 point range which is LESS than 15%, somebody else
has to shoot. Thank goodness for CF's 20 points.

Danny J

Fortson is the best option we have at the point and he makes this team more aggresive which is what we lacked before he came back but rude1 is absolutely right when he says pelphrey needs to coach fortson on who has the hot hand and how to distribute the ball to that person. Pelphrey needs to work with fortson in the film room. Actually, alot of our players need time in the film room especially when it comes to defense.

la20688

Stats are nice.........but sometimes you just have to watch the game.  It's called "intangibles".  He's also a pretty pesky defensive player.  If you don't think were a better team w/ him on the floor, I don't know what to tell you...................other than your crazy! :)

rude1

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 14, 2010, 10:29:38 pm
When your best shooter goes 2 -7 from 3 point range which is LESS than 15%, somebody else
has to shoot. Thank goodness for CF's 20 points.
If CF looks for the hot man Powell, Powell might put up 40 and we WIN the game. But I know thats not important around here anymore. As long as its close, lousy play should be commended.

GuvHog

Quote from: rude1 on January 14, 2010, 10:52:14 pm
If CF looks for the hot man Powell, Powell might put up 40 and we WIN the game. But I know thats not important around here anymore. As long as its close, lousy play should be commended.

Just who do you think fed Powell the ball for most of his points tonight?? Answer: CF.

DiscombobulatoryHOG

If you cannot see that this team is exponentially better with Fortson on the floor than you really have no clue..... Of course, you rarely do. ::)

thirtythree

Quote from: DiscombobulatoryHOG on January 14, 2010, 10:57:24 pm
If you cannot see that this team is exponentially better with Fortson on the floor than you really have no clue..... Of course, you rarely do. ::)

+1

WhenPigsFly

January 14, 2010, 11:00:39 pm #26 Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:04:35 pm by WhenPigsFly
We just have no semblance of team offense.  It took 8 minutes for Clarke to get a shot.  That's absurd!

Evidently, the players have the freedom to go one on one whenever they want.  I've never seen a college team do this like we do, one guy driving and four guys watching.  This explains how CF gets 26 shots; he has the ball in his hands more, so he gets to shoot more!  It's almost like watching a pickup game.

I'd rather watch an Eddie Sutton team score 46 points passing the ball for good shots than this mess we see every game.

rude1

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 14, 2010, 10:54:16 pm
Just who do you think fed Powell the ball for most of his points tonight?? Answer: CF.
See here is the difference in perception and reality. CF had only 5 assists in the game to 3 turns. He was not looking for anyone but himself and his 26 field goal attempts. Powell made his own way in this game, when he could get the ball, which wasn't nearly enough considering how well he was operating.

rude1

Quote from: DiscombobulatoryHOG on January 14, 2010, 10:57:24 pm
You are basing your observations on what? 0-2 with Fortson in the lineup. So I guess it is you without the clue. You guys need to understand the difference in your perception as opposed to reality.

SunshinePumper

Quote from: rude1 on January 14, 2010, 09:27:25 pm

Also, as I warned after the TX. game. When he gets in SEC play they will not bail him out with the whistle when he goes barreling into the lane out of control, they will let the play continue and he will either turn it over, have his shot blocked, or throw up a crazy shot. He had 0 free throw attempts in this game.

BUT, BUT, BUT, Fortson is the savior for this team!  With Fortson back, this team is sooooooooo much better.  With Fortson back, we're going to go 10-6 in the SEC and get an NCAA tourney bid!  With Fortson back, we've looked good on the court!  We look like a real team!  Fortson is the answer!  He's still rusty from sitting out all season, he'll get better in time!

Huggers Laid to Rest:
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=325641.0
Quote from: Breems on February 27, 2010, 11:31:16 pm
I believe Pel deserves at least 2 more years to get some post players in to accompany our decent backcourt.  If he can't get us to the NCAAT in 2 years then I'll definitely change my mind.
Quote from: Breems on March 12, 2010, 07:28:31 am
I understand giving a coach time, but giving Pel time will solve NOTHING.

Niels Boar

Fortson's biggest problem is that he tries to impact the game too often by making spectacular plays.  You win by creating more easy plays.  We would be better off if Fortson scored fewer points and had fewer assists as he cut way down on high risk attempts.  He pulls it off just enough to encourage him to keep trying to do something like shoot over Varnado 10 times.  He schools Varnado once but then gets blocked 4 times.  He seems to have the short-term memory of a corner back, which isn't such a good thing for a PG.  Our O would have scored more points if he had just walked down and handed Powell the ball more often.  In his defense fatigue may have affected his play in the second half.

UltimateHog

Fortson is the only one that can get off a halfway decent shot by creating his own shot and seperation.

Let him shoot it all he wants.

No one else can get open, forget Clarke ever getting open again, Welsh is our other guard and do you really want him to shoot more? Farmer starts for whatever reason and looks like a lost, 2 star true freshman out there.

Fortson is the only option, it's either him shoot, or pray for an open pass down low.

Critical of him or not, it's just how it is, we have NO other guards whatsoever when Clarke can't get open, and they figured out how to shut down Clarke LAST YEAR.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

SunshinePumper

Quote from: Niels Boar on January 14, 2010, 11:57:04 pmOur O would have scored more points if he had just walked down and handed Powell the ball more often. 

Bingo.  Someone gets it.  Like I said in my own thread, Fortson being back equals better looking LOSING basketball team.

Nothing more.
Huggers Laid to Rest:
I believe Pel deserves at least 2 more years to get some post players in to accompany our decent backcourt.  If he can't get us to the NCAAT in 2 years then I'll definitely change my mind.

SunshinePumper

Quote from: UltimateHog on January 14, 2010, 11:59:10 pm
Fortson is the only one that can get off a halfway decent shot by creating his own shot and seperation.

No one else can get open, forget Clarke ever getting open again, Welsh is our other guard and do you really want him to shoot more? Farmer starts for whatever reason and looks like a lost, 2 star true freshman out there.

Fortson is the only option, it's either him shoot, or pray for an open pass down low.

Critical of him or not, it's just how it is, we have NO other guards whatsoever when Clarke can't get open, and they figured out how to shut down Clarke LAST YEAR.

So we have no talent that can replace Fortson or get their own shot.  I guess by hugger reasoning, that means it's Heath's fault right?
Huggers Laid to Rest:

rude1

Quote from: Niels Boar on January 14, 2010, 11:57:04 pm
Fortson's biggest problem is that he tries to impact the game too often by making spectacular plays.  You win by creating more easy plays.  We would be better off if Fortson scored fewer points and had fewer assists as he cut way down on high risk attempts.  He pulls it off just enough to encourage him to keep trying to do something like shoot over Varnado 10 times.  He schools Varnado once but then gets blocked 4 times.  He seems to have the short-term memory of a corner back, which isn't such a good thing for a PG.  Our O would have scored more points if he had just walked down and handed Powell the ball more often.  In his defense fatigue may have affected his play in the second half.
Yeah I am sure he has wrist iced right now after firing up that many shots.

Danny J

Quote from: Niels Boar on January 14, 2010, 11:57:04 pm
Totally agree. Pelphrey needs to find the fine line between fortson being aggressive and taking good shots and making good passes and fortson taking circus shots and making terrible passes. It is a fine line but this team to have any chance to win games in the sec needs for courtney to be aggressive but SMART.

rude1

Quote from: UltimateHog on January 14, 2010, 11:59:10 pm

What game did you watch? Powell was 10-16 from the field. He was getting to the basket whenever he could get the ball. Yet you Fortson guys think it is better to have Fortson go 9-26 from the field. How you guys are even trying to justify this is beyond belief.

Iwastherein1969

anyone who thinks Julysses Nobles is the answer hasn't a clue about basketball....the guy does not look to set up the offense as its a major goal of his just to get the ball across mid-court without a ten second violation or a turnover...and if he does get it over midcourt, he looks to get rid of the ball ASAP and does NOT run our offense....so basically, he's as worthless as teats on a boar hog at the #1 position
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

rude1

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 15, 2010, 12:15:07 am
anyone who thinks Julysses Nobles is the answer hasn't a clue about basketball....the guy does not look to set up the offense as its a major goal of his just to get the ball across mid-court without a ten second violation or a turnover...and if he does get it over midcourt, he looks to get rid of the ball ASAP and does NOT run our offense....so basically, he's as worthless as teats on a boar hog at the #1 position
Agreed. But I make people angry when I point out that his own 2 home state D1 schools didn't want him. My point is that the way Fortson is playing, we wouldn't be any worse off with Welsh back at the point. Pelphrey needs to get Fortson under control NOW or he has no shot to win in this conference. He can't have another season of his point guard playing shooting guard too, and leading the team in shot attempts at a 30 percent made stat.

UltimateHog

Quote from: SunshinePumper on January 15, 2010, 12:01:15 am
So we have no talent that can replace Fortson or get their own shot.  I guess by hugger reasoning, that means it's Heath's fault right?

Hugger reasoning?

How pathetic are you?

Do you realize how unintelligent and immature that makes you sound?

Grow up, emo kid.
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

Brass Knob

We will be lucky to win more than 3 or 4 more games (as would any team), so long we have a point guard shooting the ball at such a low percent...Plus a turnover ratio of almost 1 to 1. 

I like how Sunshine Pumper puts it... We will have better looking losses.

That is about it.

UltimateHog

Quote from: Brass Knob on January 15, 2010, 01:26:06 am
We will be lucky to win more than 3 or 4 more games (as would any team), so long we have a point guard shooting the ball at such a low percent...Plus a turnover ratio of almost 1 to 1. 

I like how Sunshine Pumper puts it... We will have better looking losses.

That is about it.

There are always going to be those people like you, that find ways to cut players that perform as well as Fortson does nightly.

2 games...20ppg 6apg, against #1 team in the country, and #1 team in the SEC west on the road.

Yeah hey, let's cut that player, why not?

Frickin give me a break, just shut up.

Joke of a fan base I swear.

donkey

Quote from: rude1 on January 14, 2010, 11:03:49 pm
You are basing your observations on what? 0-2 with Fortson in the lineup. So I guess it is you without the clue. You guys need to understand the difference in your perception as opposed to reality.

You need to see past his hair and your preconcieved notions and watch the game. 

Louisville beat us by 30, Baylor by 30, Oklahoma by 20, and 3 mid-majors by 10 a piece at home.  All that happened with Welsh at point. 

Mississippi State went unconcious in the first half and had us down 20 before halftime.  But, I'm guessing that you think we would have gotten right back in that game without Fortson. I think you said that we would be no worse with Welsh, correct? 

He absolutely took too many shots.  But Pel was able to calm him down some after his really bad stretch at around the 10 minute mark.  That's a big chunk of why Powell got his shots.  Fortson calmed down and started running the offense for him.

You look at a stat line that shows 20 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, and a blocked shot and all you see is 9-26 from the floor.  You don't bother to mention the times when he dropped an assist in Washington's lap only to watch him throw the layup off the side of the backboard.  Or the fact that Powell was scared early and Clarke never got going.  Somebody has to score and Fortson tried to take over. 

He forced alot last night, but I'm pretty sure you're the only person in america who would actually try to make the asinine argument that the team would be just as good with Welsh. 

HogInThaGrove

Quote from: SunshinePumper on January 14, 2010, 11:43:32 pm
BUT, BUT, BUT, Fortson is the savior for this team!  With Fortson back, this team is sooooooooo much better.  With Fortson back, we're going to go 10-6 in the SEC and get an NCAA tourney bid!  With Fortson back, we've looked good on the court!  We look like a real team!  Fortson is the answer!  He's still rusty from sitting out all season, he'll get better in time!

How many posts are you going to start with the words:

But, But, But.....

I can hear you saying it as you type, I bet you think it's witty and you probably chuckle to yourself, like "Take that".  Oh yeah, you're halarious.

And how many of your posts are going to include the words:

Hugger
Pel-Lover
Apologist
Mrs. Pelphrey
Pel's Family
Employee of the BAC
?

Cause those are all witty too.  Good for you.  At least you're funny in your own mind.

pfrg999

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on January 14, 2010, 09:57:01 pm
Keep in mind this is only Fortson's 2nd game in months. He missed 4 or 5 easy layups due to Varnardo being such a presence He was also fouled on 3 or 4 of those shot attempts. Him and Powell were our only options tonight. Fortson would have had quite a few more assists had Clarke hit the threes he usually hits, or Washington could make a layup instead of throwing up garbage.

it his fault he was gone... Dont care if he is rusty... That is his own doing
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Biggus Piggus

Want to know how many points MSU scored off Fortson missed shots?

One.  One point.

Arkansas scored 8 points after rebounding Fortson's misses.

He gets things rolling one way or another.  Sure we need to run a more constructive offense in halfcourt.  But when Clarke isn't getting open, and Varnado is lurking inside, we don't have a lot of options.

If we had one guy on the wing who could score with midrange shots, it would be a tremendous improvement.  Farmer was supposed to be that.  He's a turnip right now.  And Welsh can't.
[CENSORED]!

HogInThaGrove

Quote from: Randy Reece on January 15, 2010, 10:06:48 am
Want to know how many points MSU scored off Fortson missed shots?

One.  One point.

Arkansas scored 8 points after rebounding Fortson's misses.

He gets things rolling one way or another.  Sure we need to run a more constructive offense in halfcourt.  But when Clarke isn't getting open, and Varnado is lurking inside, we don't have a lot of options.

If we had one guy on the wing who could score with midrange shots, it would be a tremendous improvement.  Farmer was supposed to be that.  He's a turnip right now.  And Welsh can't.

Ahhhh, stats.  Hard to argue with those.  Fortson will probably play in the NBA, and we have people wanting him benched. 

Knot2brite

I see what rude1 is trying to say and to be honest, it isn't wrong from a coaching standpoint. He does need to improve his decision making at times. But having said that, there are times when he has to take to ball to the hole because if not, no one else is going to do it. He is pushing his game because he is making up for lost time and trying to provide a spark to ignite the team. We are a much worse team without him but there is no reason he can't make the drives and kick to a teammate more. Now if they arent getting themselves into position and are scared...that means he is going to have to take more shots and try to do more himself.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Temprees

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 15, 2010, 12:40:19 pm
I see what rude1 is trying to say and to be honest, it isn't wrong from a coaching standpoint. He does need to improve his decision making at times. But having said that, there are times when he has to take to ball to the hole because if not, no one else is going to do it. He is pushing his game because he is making up for lost time and trying to provide a spark to ignite the team. We are a much worse team without him but there is no reason he can't make the drives and kick to a teammate more. Now if they arent getting themselves into position and are scared...that means he is going to have to take more shots and try to do more himself.
And as he does more, his team mates will do less.  The team mates will be standing around watching him.  It is not really Fortson's fault, because (1) there is no structure to our offense, and (2) Pelphrey permits him to do it.  It is not a good thing for your point guard to have a shoot first mentality (for the entire game). 

HogInThaGrove

Quote from: Temprees on January 15, 2010, 12:59:30 pm
And as he does more, his team mates will do less.  The team mates will be standing around watching him.  It is not really Fortson's fault, because (1) there is no structure to our offense, and (2) Pelphrey permits him to do it.  It is not a good thing for your point guard to have a shoot first mentality (for the entire game). 

Georgetown was pretty good with Allen Iverson.  Memphis with Derek Rose.  Shoot first point guards can be an asset....if their shot selection is on point.  If not, they can be detrimental.  Fortson has good days and bad days.  He is just a sophomore though, we can't expect him to play like  a senior every night.  And he's 2 games off suspension and hadn't played in a real game, much less against Texas and MSU in almost a year.  Let's see how he does the rest of the year.