Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I think that one did it

Started by Porked Tongue, October 08, 2017, 09:34:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Bob Slydell on October 11, 2017, 04:56:02 pm
Wouldn't part of the definition for great hire include working out?

The vast majority of coaches don't work out. Are you saying great hires are really that rare?

If it fits at the time, it was a good hire. He fit at the time, and it just hasn't developed since then.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Frontrowhog on October 08, 2017, 09:37:07 am
Why would BB do this? I'm sure being fired sucks but I don't think I'd walk away with my pride and leave $15M on the table.
you act like it's unheard of to negotiate a buy-out. You are talking about walking away from a 15 million buyout, making it sound COMPLETELY impossible, yet coach anderson did JUST THAT last week, so....
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

JaketheSnake

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 11, 2017, 04:52:25 pm
This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've read today.
Yet people believe it to be true...

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 08, 2017, 09:46:41 am
He could buy a home next door to Nolan.
there are no homes next to Nolan's. it's at the end of a long rock road on a hidden corner of town, and down in a valley. no homes for many acres around. Just horses and Great Danes and birds and all Ms Rose's other pets lol.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 08, 2017, 09:53:16 am
Not only no Lanny.but hell no!Long needs to go.if he hires the next coach,we may very well get another guy who fails. start fresh and clean house.

He hired your deity Mike Anderson.
This is my non-signature signature.

pigture perfect

I just don't understand the hate for Jeff Long.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 08, 2017, 09:50:23 am
No, BB was not a great hire at the time, it just looked like a great hire on the face of it. But, those that knew what really went on at Wisconsin knew that most of the success there was due to Alvarez.
Perception is not always reality, we got the reality.

Thanks Barry!!
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: HardCore on October 08, 2017, 01:58:44 pm
THIS!

You guys just really want the entire Nutt fiasco again, don't you? How about just get the best person for the job. It really doesn't matter though, Long will be making the next hire regardless if he is an arkan-sawyer like yourself or not.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 08, 2017, 07:02:55 pm
The last time that happened we hired Houston Nutt.

Lol. These guys must be young, ignorant, or have just forgotten. They are begging for the return to the GOBN. 

jkstock04

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 12, 2017, 01:07:35 am
I just don't understand the hate for Jeff Long.
"Winning is secondary"...continuously reminding fans we aren't a win first university as if there is no other option between 10-24 and "win first."

His professed biggest mistake as AD was hiring a coach who took the program to new heights winning wise...only now under Bielema does he realize we didn't need a coach like that to be successful.  Let that one sink in considering Bielemas achievements here.

That's a few things off the top of my head..I'm sure I could keep going if you like.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 12, 2017, 12:20:40 am
there are no homes next to Nolan's. it's at the end of a long rock road on a hidden corner of town, and down in a valley. no homes for many acres around. Just horses and Great Danes and birds and all Ms Rose's other pets lol.
It was a figure of speech. I don't care if it is possible or not. Good lord.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

311Hog

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 12, 2017, 09:24:23 am
"Winning is secondary"...continuously reminding fans we aren't a win first university as if there is no other option between 10-24 and "win first."

His professed biggest mistake as AD was hiring a coach who took the program to new heights winning wise...only now under Bielema does he realize we didn't need a coach like that to be successful.  Let that one sink in considering Bielemas achievements here.

That's a few things off the top of my head..I'm sure I could keep going if you like.

1. He doesn't continuously remind fans that. he said it once, you guys drove yourselves crazy repeating it over and over.

2. You act like there is this clearly obvious choice between our currently UNDER CONTRACT head coach and some other option that YOU KNOW 100% FACT will produce better results than 10-24. Who is this person and why can no one else see them?

3. Ahh here we go, a Petrino lover.  His biggest mistake was not knowing Petrino's extra marital affair status....  Those new heights you love to refer to was basically 1 more win than normal great, but nothing to sell your soul for.

4. The buyout IN HIND SIGHT, was a mistake clearly. But nothing that nearly should receive this level of anger and hatred. The UofA and the Athletic dept. has thrived during Long's tenure this is clear to anyone that has anything to do with the school at all.

5. This is chess man not checkers.  Long cannot just change course on a whim or as the wind blows.  Is your simple solution really for the University to throw away all the profits they have made over the past upteen years swinging the buy out stick so we can get another "also ran" coach in here so we can repeat this process again in 2 to 5 years? or would you rather just let the people do their job, wait it out and let the cards fall where they may?

I could go on if you would like.

bob slydell

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on October 11, 2017, 10:33:04 pm
The vast majority of coaches don't work out. Are you saying great hires are really that rare?

If it fits at the time, it was a good hire. He fit at the time, and it just hasn't developed since then.

Good hire and great hire are two different things.  Besides to fit the definition of great (or good) hire, wouldn't you at least think that the coach should not have taken such a drastic step back in year 5?
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

311Hog

Quote from: Bob Slydell on October 12, 2017, 10:05:33 am
Good hire and great hire are two different things.  Besides to fit the definition of great (or good) hire, wouldn't you at least think that the coach should not have taken such a drastic step back in year 5?

What he is saying is that people can't "know" the future.  You hire a person whos resume and everything they have done leads you to believe they have the "best chance" at success.

Just because success does not come does not mean the choice was wrong in any form except hindsight and that is pointless.

Long hires an OC with no HC experience, and in 5 years he fails to what would people say? i mean when failure happens there is nothing that you can do to change it. He hired a guy with a proven philosophy, a proven record, and BCS level success.  There is no way Long or anyone could have expected things to go as they have after 5 years.

the only people that cried about it are the people who still DFS Petrino and think he should still be here on the sidelines banging subordinates.

jkstock04

Quote from: 311Hog on October 12, 2017, 09:32:31 am
1. He doesn't continuously remind fans that. he said it once, you guys drove yourselves crazy repeating it over and over.

2. You act like there is this clearly obvious choice between our currently UNDER CONTRACT head coach and some other option that YOU KNOW 100% FACT will produce better results than 10-24. Who is this person and why can no one else see them?

3. Ahh here we go, a Petrino lover.  His biggest mistake was not knowing Petrino's extra marital affair status....  Those new heights you love to refer to was basically 1 more win than normal great, but nothing to sell your soul for.

4. The buyout IN HIND SIGHT, was a mistake clearly. But nothing that nearly should receive this level of anger and hatred. The UofA and the Athletic dept. has thrived during Long's tenure this is clear to anyone that has anything to do with the school at all.

5. This is chess man not checkers.  Long cannot just change course on a whim or as the wind blows.  Is your simple solution really for the University to throw away all the profits they have made over the past upteen years swinging the buy out stick so we can get another "also ran" coach in here so we can repeat this process again in 2 to 5 years? or would you rather just let the people do their job, wait it out and let the cards fall where they may?

I could go on if you would like.
He's said it more than once. This narrative started at least a couple of years ago. The latest was the day or so after the TCU game. I didn't even say anything about the buy out...but I could I suppose if you wanna go that route.

Keep flying that Bielema flag. It's laughable that you consider those years basically the norm for Arkansas football...if so what do you consider the previous 5 going into this year?

My opinion is no more millionaire retreads. We ain't getting another Bobby Petrino. That was a once in a lifetime hire for Arkansas despite you and Jeff Long considering it a disaster. My opinion is find a young guy...up and comer with something still to prove...I don't want another Bielema....or a Les Miles. The way Bielema still harps on his Wisconsin days it's obvious he's proven everything he set out to...if he were to prove anything here it would just be the cherry on top.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

311Hog

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 12, 2017, 12:23:31 pm
He's said it more than once. This narrative started at least a couple of years ago. The latest was the day or so after the TCU game. I didn't even say anything about the buy out...but I could I suppose if you wanna go that route.

Keep flying that Bielema flag. It's laughable that you consider those years basically the norm for Arkansas football...if so what do you consider the previous 5 going into this year?

My opinion is no more millionaire retreads. We ain't getting another Bobby Petrino. That was a once in a lifetime hire for Arkansas despite you and Jeff Long considering it a disaster. My opinion is find a young guy...up and comer with something still to prove...I don't want another Bielema....or a Les Miles. The way Bielema still harps on his Wisconsin days it's obvious he's proven everything he set out to...if he were to prove anything here it would just be the cherry on top.

No part of my reply is a ringing endorsement of CBB.  I am simply saying the money it would cost and the market out there for coaches (who is possible, who is also hiring etc.) is awful for us.

Long basically said he wasn't going to hundo handshakes and admit kids for underwater basketweaving degrees what is wrong with that?

I have been a hog fan my entire life.  The norm for my hog fan experience over the past umm 4 decades has been that of ultimate amazement and utter disaster simultaneously.

Sure you may harken back to the 50's, 60's, 70's to when things were elite but that isn't now.  Beating a team in 7 overtimes and then the next week losing a game to a horrible team at home is the life of a Razorback fan these days.

Having a coach take you to the edge of a BCS bowl game victory, only to be caught with his hired mistress in a motor cycle accident the next week.  This is what i can expect as a Hog fan for life. 

What ever the unexpected is? that is what will happen x 10.  So if you expect CBB and/or Long to be canned at the end of the season and some coordinator like Venerables or something to be hired?

What i expect to happen is CBB gets lifetime contract and then quits the next day, we hire the Quality control guy from Houston Nutt's Murray state days, he beats Bama in his first game coaching and then proceeds to go 0 for the rest of the season.

There isn't a retread/proven HC out there that is looking for a move to this job.  And an "up and comer" is nothing more than a pull on a lottery machine and we all know the odds of that coming up triple 7's.