Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Hiring Long

Started by BigBen, November 13, 2017, 03:24:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBen

Heard from an old fraternity brother this morning that is pretty well connected. Apparently Jeff Long is expected to step down by end of the year to take a position within the NCAA.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: BigBen on November 13, 2017, 03:24:35 pm
Heard from an old fraternity brother this morning that is pretty well connected. Apparently Jeff Long is expected to step down by end of the year to take a position within the NCAA.
I heard it was March.

Hog2010

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Iceman

Would make sense. Not sure if true though.

Dwight_K_Shrute

And they all lived happily ever after.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Tusks

Who's the AD candidates?  Is it HDN on the list?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hogwild

WooPig1234

This may happen sooner than later. Just saying.

rhames

Y'all will believe anything.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

jabberjawls

Anyone worried about retribution?

BassinHawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 13, 2017, 03:28:02 pm
GOOD NEWS IF TRUE!

Not if he has ill feelings towards Arkansas and uses his new power against Arkansas in a twisted way.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Tusks

BroyledNutts

Quote from: BassinHawg on November 13, 2017, 03:36:11 pm
Not if he has ill feelings towards Arkansas and uses his new power against Arkansas in a twisted way.

Well that wouldn't be a very #Integrity laden move, would it?

WooPig1234

Guys, would any of you be surprised? Daddy Long is chomping at the bits for an opportunity like this.

Ex-Trumpet

It isn't wise to cross the powers in Arkansas.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

SquidBilly

Anything he did would be because of things he knew from his time here.  If these things were going on while he was here he would share in the culpability.  He's likely wise enough to keep his mouth shut.

TeufelHog

Quote from: tusked on November 13, 2017, 03:32:09 pm
Is this your attempt at "sabotaging" a possible Gus hire?

311Hog

Gus ain't walkin through that door....

Silent

Quote from: tusked on November 13, 2017, 03:32:09 pm

I'm sure I'll get razzed, but I actually have a relative that's already polished the resume ready to apply. Definitely not HDN though lol

Tusks

Well for all those that said days ago that JL was punted and for those that said JL is sliced bread an not leaving.

dilly dilly to both of you.

Life is good at the UA and the purge and rebuild has started.

Hawg Life

greenie

Quote from: Silent on November 13, 2017, 04:18:11 pm
I'm sure I'll get razzed, but I actually have a relative that's already polished the resume ready to apply. Definitely not HDN though lol

Can you give us initials or something?

Tusks

Silent

Quote from: greenie on November 13, 2017, 04:23:54 pm
Can you give us initials or something?

Nobody well known or anything like that. He did work directly under Broyles and Then Long for nearly 15 years iirc, before taking another position and a different school.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hog2010 on November 13, 2017, 03:27:24 pm
Can confirm.

I believe you but would you please post a link that confirms it for all these nay-sayers??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

LAGNAF

Quote from: Hog2010 on November 13, 2017, 03:27:24 pm
Can confirm.

Confirm that he heard it from a fraternity brother?

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

goodguytex

If, and I say big if Long does leave, and take a position within the NCAA, I have no doubt he'd be a very friendly, sympathetic voice there for the UofA program. No reason to believe otherwise. A lot of good has happened on his watch as AD, including the stadium expansion going on right now. I don't agree with all the decisions he's made, but I don't doubt his motivations or intentions.

Dropkick

This is in direct conflict with what my former piano teacher says.

ur

Quote from: Silent on November 13, 2017, 04:27:08 pm
Nobody well known or anything like that. He did work directly under Broyles and Then Long for nearly 15 years iirc, before taking another position and a different school.
MS ?

ricepig

Quote from: LAGNAF on November 13, 2017, 04:27:50 pm
Confirm that he heard it from a fraternity brother?

Those connections, you know.....

Pecos Hog

I could see this.

trippigs

Quote from: goodguytex on November 13, 2017, 04:28:54 pm
If, and I say big if Long does leave, and take a position within the NCAA, I have no doubt he'd be a very friendly, sympathetic voice there for the UofA program. No reason to believe otherwise. A lot of good has happened on his watch as AD, including the stadium expansion going on right now. I don't agree with all the decisions he's made, but I don't doubt his motivations or intentions.

I fully agree. Very short sided to think that every professional has a grudge when moving on.
Never thought much about positions with the NCAA but I could see it being attractive to JL.

The Hawg Marshal

Let me be clear. I'm not saying it's true, just that I had heard it.

elviscat

Best hire for AD would be Tom Bowen, he is now at the University of Memphis. He has hired Justin Fuente and Mike Norvell for Memphis, just look what they have done. He knows football and he knows how to pick a coach. I believe if we get him, Mike Norvell would follow.

ADavisTheGOAT

Hopefully this is true. I would like Bowen as AD (as suggested above) or Tuberville. Tuberville sounded like he wanted to become our next AD at the LR TD club.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

ricepig

Rustyhog

I wish, but don't think this is true.

You may think I'm nuts, but I think Auburn would hire him.... and.... look for the NFL to maybe need his services. After all, Long did show lots of support for taking a knee.

Seriously tho, I have heard Long wants to be the NFL Comish.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: GuvHog on November 13, 2017, 04:27:37 pm
I believe you but would you please post a link that confirms it for all these nay-sayers??

A link to a frat brother?

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

forrest city joe

Of true, it is great news.as long as he is gone,i don't care where he goes.

Silent

Quote from: ur on November 13, 2017, 04:31:07 pm
MS ?

No, and I need to correct myself he was at the U of A for 20 years. Being this early in the game. I'm not giving any more info or even his initials due to the politics of a position like such, and hell long isn't even gone yet. Ill definitely be picking his brain when I see him for the holidays though.

navyhog24

I actually like TCU's AD. He has them on top in baseball, usually perenially top 25 in football, and now their basketball program is on the rise since he hired Jamie Dixon.

moses_007

He's just what the NCAA needs... a man of super integrity who won't put up with the cheating Ole Mrs.' and Auburns.....

And with all his experience in giving football programs the death penalty (Pittsburgh and Arkansas....) he should fit right in.

ricepig

Quote from: Silent on November 13, 2017, 05:42:50 pm
No, and I need to correct myself he was at the U of A for 20 years. Being this early in the game. I'm not giving any more info or even his initials due to the politics of a position like such, and hell long isn't even gone yet. Ill definitely be picking his brain when I see him for the holidays though.

So was MS, haha.

Silent

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2017, 05:58:21 pm
So was MS, haha.

lol I promise it's not. Probably shouldn't have even said anything ah well. I was a little giddy when I found out he would apply the other day.

Mellon Collie

Jeff Long did not take the Arkansas AD position as his 'last stop'.  I believe this became abundantly clear when he handled the Petrino situation as he did.  His play from the start was to parlay this job into a more prominent administrative role within a larger more powerful entity.  I'm sure his plan would have been to leave here 'on top', but the failings of Bret have obviously forced his hand in relation to the timing of his next move.

widespreadsooie

I'm under the impression Long is out too. Have not heard the NCAA route but makes a lot of sense. More sense than us firing Jeff.

ricepig

Quote from: Silent on November 13, 2017, 06:08:30 pm
lol I promise it's not. Probably shouldn't have even said anything ah well. I was a little giddy when I found out he would apply the other day.

Well, good luck, but according to HV, he's probably too late.