Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If any of our players were to "quit",

Started by TulsaHawg, October 07, 2005, 12:07:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarlton

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 07, 2005, 06:39:22 pm
Just don't ever say you are a "PART" of the Razorbacks program, because you are merely an observer.

You've got that straight.  I'm only an observer.  And, in my role as observer, I have observed that Houston Nutt needs to find other employment because his brand of football isn't fun to observe.  I've also observed that you like to put words into people's mouths so that you can flail away at windmills.

jblack19

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on October 07, 2005, 12:09:25 pm
You are as repetitive as the people you complain about.
At lease he is right in what he says!

jblack19

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on October 07, 2005, 12:40:15 pm
Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 07, 2005, 12:28:44 pm
Your reasoning is illogical THF. If the season "ended" after game 2, then it's over, finished, caput. Therefore, in that the season has concluded, it cannot then get worse in game 3.

Sorry i must have shot that one over your head. When i said over, i meant no change to finish respectfully, or show positive results. Therefore the season as a whole was over.

The idea of it getting worse was against USC whereas the season was over, we could still look respectable in a 20 point loss or something along those lines. It got worse when the backup's, backup quarterback was told to get ready he might get to play after the first quarter. When he did get in, he saw how easy it was to score on the Hogs, and therefore any national respect we might have had was thrown out the window. At that moment, we ceased to be a football team and became the national joke.

Season over game 2, we still have games to play, but to be honest it seems hard to say but it could get even worse than after USC.

yadda yadda yadda.....

jblack19

Quote from: silvertip on October 07, 2005, 12:48:43 pm
Well, TulsaHawg, I have never given up on the Hawg players.

Giving up on the OC is not the same as giving up on the players or the program. HDN is not the program.

HDN is a miserable failure as an OC. Five straight years with the WORST passing game in the SEC and sub-100th in the nation would get any other OC fired.

And NO, I didn't give up on HDN after a few games THIS season. Try 2 or 3 years ago.

Ya, gave up on the 9 win seasons, did ya? whatever.....

TulsaHawg

Quote from: NuttsSacked on October 07, 2005, 07:00:51 pm
Quote from: Snarlton on October 07, 2005, 02:20:46 pm
I'd say there's a bit of difference between a player quitting and a fan "quitting". Players are on full scholarship, aka free ride, with the understanding that they play some D1 level football. I, as a fan, have no obligation to do jack squat if I don't want to. At no point will such a tongue lashing (TulsaHog) motivate a disgruntled fan into putting on the happy face and cheering for horrible football. It is, after all, just a game. And any level of fan gets to walk away in a spirit of apathy any time they so choose and feel fine about it.

Fans are not paid one cent. On the contrary, many of them dish out tons of their hard earned loot for the betterment of their chosen team. Fans deserve something from the highly paid coaches and administration. No one DESERVES anything from fans and should be grateful there are any. This is especially true for the Razorback program, whose respect for the common fan has gone into total freefall in recent years and spiralled all the way into a pit of total indifference toward us.

Yes Snarlton, those are some nice excuses for just wanting to be a bystander and butch and moan. Tell me, what exactly do the coaches and players owe the fans?

You don't have to pay a damn dime if you don't want to.

We have heard for years about how great, and how devoted Razorbacks fans are. Your attitude is one of the things wrong with the atmosphere at RRS. "Fans" like you want to be spectators, not participators. That's one of the differences for the most part at the Rock. Fans there normally get into the game, and feel they are a part of it, and can help make a difference.

You go ahead and sit back and judge everybody. You go ahead and sit back and justify why everyone else should be held accountable but you. You go ahead and comfort yourself with your excuses.

Just don't ever say you are a "PART" of the Razorbacks program, because you are merely an observer.

Help me understand something. Snarlton stated he doesn't have to buy the product. You stated "You don't have to pay a damn dime if you don't want to". Yet Snarlton "sits back and judges everybody" and thinks "everyone else should be held accountable but him"?

Tulsa, YA' STUPID. LOL!!!

Nutts, see if you can follow this:

Actually Snarlton didn't say that. He said, "I, as a fan, have no obligation to do jack squat if I don't want to", which would include paying money among everything else.

Snarlton also said, "Fans are not paid one cent. On the contrary, many of them dish out tons of their hard earned loot for the betterment of their chosen team."

My response was to reinforce the point that no "fan" is obligated to pay any money.

I do find it interesting that Snarlton presents the view that it is all about what he as the "fan" gets.  The team, the coaches, the players are indeed obligated to Snarlton the "fan", but he, Snarlton the "fan" holds no obligation to them.

If that's how "fans" feel so be it; just don't claim to be a "part" of the program.  Those fans are simply observers.

LEt me know Nutts if you need addtional help understanding the point.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: jblack19 on October 07, 2005, 07:08:21 pm

The great jblack19 has spoken.  Now we know once-and-for-all who is right and who is wrong.  Never question the wisdom of the great jblack19.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: Snarlton on October 07, 2005, 07:02:40 pm

You've got that straight. I'm only an observer. And, in my role as observer, I have observed that Houston Nutt needs to find other employment because his brand of football isn't fun to observe. I've also observed that you like to put words into people's mouths so that you can flail away at windmills.

What word did I put into whom's mouth?

jblack19

Quote from: gmb_79 on October 07, 2005, 07:21:16 pm

The great jblack19 has spoken. Now we know once-and-for-all who is right and who is wrong. Never question the wisdom of the great jblack19.
And we are supposed to believe you and your cronies word as gospel? give me a freakin break....... GO HOGS.. GO NUTT!!

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: jblack19 on October 07, 2005, 07:24:51 pm

The great jblack19 has spoken. Now we know once-and-for-all who is right and who is wrong. Never question the wisdom of the great jblack19.
And we are supposed to believe you and your cronies word as gospel? give me a freakin break....... GO HOGS.. GO NUTT!!

Well, apparently you and I aren't so different after all.  We both want Nutt to go. ;)

jblack19

Quote from: gmb_79 on October 07, 2005, 07:27:28 pm
Quote from: jblack19 on October 07, 2005, 07:24:51 pm

Well, apparently you and I aren't so different after all. We both want Nutt to go. ;)
You and I have absoultely nothing in common.. I LOVE THE HOGS! I LOVE THE PROGRAM! I SUPPORT THE HOGS! I SUPPORT NUTT.. need it said any clearer?

TulsaHawg

Quote from: silvertip on October 07, 2005, 12:48:43 pm
Well, TulsaHawg, I have never given up on the Hawg players.

Giving up on the OC is not the same as giving up on the players or the program. HDN is not the program.

HDN is a miserable failure as an OC. Five straight years with the WORST passing game in the SEC and sub-100th in the nation would get any other OC fired.

And NO, I didn't give up on HDN after a few games THIS season. Try 2 or 3 years ago.

Are you including last season as Arkansas being "the WORST passing game in the SEC"? 

Consider the stats from the SEC for 2004 regarding passing and scoring:

SCORING OFFENSE          G   TD  XP 2XP DXP  FG Saf  Pts   Avg
--------------------------------------------------------------
1. Auburn.............. 13   54  51   2   0  12   1  417  32.1
2. Florida............. 12   49  49   0   0  13   0  382  31.8
3. Arkansas............ 11   45  40   3   0   4   0  328  29.8
4. Tennessee........... 13   50  44   2   0  10   0  378  29.1
5. LSU................. 12   43  33   1   0  17   0  344  28.7
6. Georgia............. 12   41  39   0   0  16   1  335  27.9
7. Alabama............. 12   35  35   0   0  16   1  295  24.6

PASS OFFENSE             G   Att  Cmp Int  Pct.  Yds  Avg TD Yds/G
------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Florida............. 12   407  243  12  59.7 3253  8.0 29 271.1
2. Georgia............. 12   363  201   5  55.4 2972  8.2 24 247.7
3. Auburn.............. 13   308  211   9  68.5 3086 10.0 25 237.4
4. Tennessee........... 13   376  210  15  55.9 2775  7.4 27 213.5
5. Arkansas............ 11   286  162  13  56.6 2316  8.1 19 210.5
6. LSU................. 12   319  179  10  56.1 2421  7.6 19 201.8
7. South Carolina...... 11   280  159  15  56.8 2202  7.9 13 200.2

TOTAL OFFENSE            G  Rush Pass Plays Yards Avg/P TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------------
1. Florida............. 12  1870 3253   822  5123   6.2 49 426.9
2. Auburn.............. 13  2383 3086   861  5469   6.4 52 420.7
3. Georgia............. 12  1882 2972   826  4854   5.9 40 404.5
4. Tennessee........... 13  2418 2775   896  5193   5.8 48 399.5
5. Arkansas............ 11  2061 2316   753  4377   5.8 41 397.9
6. LSU................. 12  2326 2421   825  4747   5.8 39 395.6
7. South Carolina...... 11  1856 2202   744  4058   5.5 27 368.9
8. Ole Miss............ 11  1752 2113   789  3865   4.9 20 351.4

You can count can't you?  You do know that there are 12 schools in the SEC don't you?  Do you see Arkansas ranked 12th in any of those stats?

NuttsSacked

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 07, 2005, 07:20:43 pm
I'd say there's a bit of difference between a player quitting and a fan "quitting". Players are on full scholarship, aka free ride, with the understanding that they play some D1 level football. I, as a fan, have no obligation to do jack squat if I don't want to. At no point will such a tongue lashing (TulsaHog) motivate a disgruntled fan into putting on the happy face and cheering for horrible football. It is, after all, just a game. And any level of fan gets to walk away in a spirit of apathy any time they so choose and feel fine about it.

Fans are not paid one cent. On the contrary, many of them dish out tons of their hard earned loot for the betterment of their chosen team. Fans deserve something from the highly paid coaches and administration. No one DESERVES anything from fans and should be grateful there are any. This is especially true for the Razorback program, whose respect for the common fan has gone into total freefall in recent years and spiralled all the way into a pit of total indifference toward us.

Yes Snarlton, those are some nice excuses for just wanting to be a bystander and butch and moan. Tell me, what exactly do the coaches and players owe the fans?

We have heard for years about how great, and how devoted Razorbacks fans are. Your attitude is one of the things wrong with the atmosphere at RRS. "Fans" like you want to be spectators, not participators. That's one of the differences for the most part at the Rock. Fans there normally get into the game, and feel they are a part of it, and can help make a difference.

You go ahead and sit back and judge everybody. You go ahead and sit back and justify why everyone else should be held accountable but you. You go ahead and comfort yourself with your excuses.

Help me understand something. Snarlton stated he doesn't have to buy the product. You stated "You don't have to pay a damn dime if you don't want to". Yet Snarlton "sits back and judges everybody" and thinks "everyone else should be held accountable but him"?

Actually Snarlton didn't say that. He said, "I, as a fan, have no obligation to do jack squat if I don't want to", which would include paying money among everything else.

Snarlton also said, "Fans are not paid one cent. On the contrary, many of them dish out tons of their hard earned loot for the betterment of their chosen team."

My response was to reinforce the point that no "fan" is obligated to pay any money.

I do find it interesting that Snarlton presents the view that it is all about what he as the "fan" gets. The team, the coaches, the players are indeed obligated to Snarlton the "fan", but he, Snarlton the "fan" holds no obligation to them.

If that's how "fans" feel so be it; just don't claim to be a "part" of the program. Those fans are simply observers.

Where did he say the players where obligated to him, stupid?   

NuttsSacked

Hey, Tulsa.  You're a cowardly little back biter aren't you?  You don't have the guts to post anything in my direction until I'm logged out.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: NuttsSacked on October 07, 2005, 07:51:15 pm
Hey, Tulsa. You're a cowardly little back biter aren't you? You don't have the guts to post anything in my direction until I'm logged out.

Stay right there. What do you want to talk about?  I have been in and out all day.

NuttsSacked

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 07, 2005, 07:56:35 pm
Hey, Tulsa. You're a cowardly little back biter aren't you? You don't have the guts to post anything in my direction until I'm logged out.

Stay right there. What do you want to talk about? I have been in and out all day.

Bounty Hunter mentioned your time on the board.  Why don't you get a job?

TulsaHawg

Quote from: NuttsSacked on October 07, 2005, 07:33:17 pm

I do find it interesting that Snarlton presents the view that it is all about what he as the "fan" gets. The team, the coaches, the players are indeed obligated to Snarlton the "fan", but he, Snarlton the "fan" holds no obligation to them.

If that's how "fans" feel so be it; just don't claim to be a "part" of the program. Those fans are simply observers.

Well, you seem to be addressing "stupid".  I am not him, but allow me to help you with this.

Snarlton said, "Fans deserve something from the highly paid coaches and administration".  No he didn't mention the players directly, but how else would the coaches and administration pay their obligation to the fans if not through the players?  Therefore, by reason of deduction, the players are obligated to the fans as well, according to this type of thinking.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: NuttsSacked on October 07, 2005, 07:59:28 pm

Stay right there. What do you want to talk about? I have been in and out all day.

Bounty Hunter mentioned your time on the board. Why don't you get a job?

Do you know me?  Do you know how much I work or don't work? No, you don't.

Do you work?

Also, you seem to be able to speak by using other people's words such as Snarlton, and Bounty.  Do you have any original thoughts of your own?

TulsaHawg

BTW, Nutts you have more posts on here than I do.  Do you have a job?

NuttsSacked

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 07, 2005, 08:02:22 pm
Quote from: NuttsSacked on October 07, 2005, 07:33:17 pm

Well, you seem to be addressing "stupid". I am not him, but allow me to help you with this.

Snarlton said, "Fans deserve something from the highly paid coaches and administration". No he didn't mention the players directly, but how else would the coaches and administration pay their obligation to the fans if not through the players? Therefore, by reason of deduction, the players are obligated to the fans as well, according to this type of thinking.

Is the Razorback Foundation NOT comprised of fans?  Does the Razorback Foundation have any say what-so-ever in who's hired and fired?  Should those contributing to the Razorback Foundation expect a reasonable return for their millions of dollars?

By reason of deduction, it's clear you don't know the first damn thing about "big time" college football.  Go back to tossing the ball around with your kids.

TulsaHawg

Ok Nutts, your turn.  Explain what you just said and how does it relate to anything I said.  Try to be quicker with your responses, if you can.

NuttsSacked

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 07, 2005, 08:05:57 pm

BTW, Nutts you have more posts on here than I do. Do you have a job?

See?  You can't even put something as simple as the number of posts in proper context.  How long have I been on this board compared to you?  And yes, I have a very good job.  One with internet access. 

TulsaHawg

Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 07, 2005, 08:19:03 pm
The players would likely quit on the team if their reward, the reason they were part of the The Program, was taken away. If Arkansas announced it was joining the Ivy League and revoking all athletic scholarships, the players would realize The Program wasn't worth their blood, sweat and tears.

Some fans have had their reason for being part of The Program taken away by the repeated shortcomings. They don't enjoy the games as much as they used to. So they've decided their money and time should be spent elsewhere.

As long as the players on scholarship, they've got motivation to give 100 percent. Currently, The Program isn't giving some fans enough motivation to give their full support.

I understand that Scott, but people realized before they purchased season tickets that this may very well be a rough year.  Arkansas  fans claim tobe some of the most loyal fans in the nation.  I don't think that is true.

Here's how I see it.  We are 4 games into a season in which we lost one game people didn't expect us to win.  How do you know that Herring's D won't start clicking as these young guys get more experience, and the offence will begin to improve, and we could knock off someone people hadn't expected us to? 

I think fans should be participators, at games not just spectators.  We expect our coaches to coach hard, and our players to play hard.  We as fans should do our part and cheer hard and support the team.  If you are going to be a fan of the team, be one when things are going badly, not just when things are going well.

TulsaHawg

October 07, 2005, 08:51:59 pm #72 Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 08:56:50 pm by TulsaHawg
Nutts, I'm still waiting on your explanation of your post about the Foundation.  Again, how does that relate to what I said? 

You asked me about the players being obligated.  I explained the connection.  You then seemed to go off on a wild tangent about the Foundation. 

Doesn't really seem to flow.  Know what I mean?   ;D

NuttsSacked

You fail to understand this simple point...the Foundation is comprised of fans.  Fans that pay good money and expect a reasonable return for their investment.  GOT A CLUE NOW?

TulsaHawg

Actually it the Razorbacks fans who say it!  ;D

TulsaHawg

Quote from: NuttsSacked on October 07, 2005, 08:57:32 pm
You fail to understand this simple point...the Foundation is comprised of fans. Fans that pay good money and expect a reasonable return for their investment. GOT A CLUE NOW?

Oh I have a clue.  You didn't explain how that relates to what we were discussing.  Doesn't does it?

You seem to just be trying to reinforce the view that the "fans" have the right to place certain expectations on the coaches, admins, and players, but noe of the above have the right to expect anything from the fans.  Is that what you are trying to say?

NuttsSacked

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 07, 2005, 09:01:46 pm
You fail to understand this simple point...the Foundation is comprised of fans. Fans that pay good money and expect a reasonable return for their investment. GOT A CLUE NOW?

Oh I have a clue. You didn't explain how that relates to what we were discussing. Doesn't does it?

You seem to just be trying to reinforce the view that the "fans" have the right to place certain expectations on the coaches, admins, and players, but noe of the above have the right to expect anything from the fans. Is that what you are trying to say?

NOW YOU'VE GOT IT!  The fans are responsible for building and filling one of the finest football stadiums in the country DESPITE the piss-poor play on the field.  It's time the fans got something in return. 

Damn, you may be slow, Tulsa, but when you're right, you're right!  ;)   

TulsaHawg

Quote from: NuttsSacked on October 07, 2005, 09:11:03 pm

Oh I have a clue. You didn't explain how that relates to what we were discussing. Doesn't does it?

You seem to just be trying to reinforce the view that the "fans" have the right to place certain expectations on the coaches, admins, and players, but noe of the above have the right to expect anything from the fans. Is that what you are trying to say?

NOW YOU'VE GOT IT! The fans are responsible for building and filling one of the finest football stadiums in the country DESPITE the piss-poor play on the field. It's time the fans got something in return.

Damn, you may be slow, Tulsa, but when you're right, you're right! ;)

Well you know how us Okies are?

You just jumped trains of thought quick.

We were talking about the players being obligated to the fans based upon Snarlto's comments, then you sling this Foundation stuff in from left field. 

What about it, are the players obligated to the fans or not?

GrizzledHogFan

That may not be what he was saying, but I'll say it.  The fans pay money to attend games, and buy team merchandise and donate to the foundation to support the team.  They should reasonably be able to expect to, on average, see a good team.  The coaches and admins are directly paid by the university, and the players are indirectly paid through scholarships.  They do not have a right to expect anything from the fans.  I'll put it this way.  If there were a band, and at one time they were a good band and had sold-out performances, but now they're getting old, and aren't in sync and the singer now sings off-key.  Do they have a right to expect people to show up and watch the concert?  No.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: gmb_79 on October 07, 2005, 09:17:48 pm

That may not be what he was saying, but I'll say it. The fans pay money to attend games, and buy team merchandise and donate to the foundation to support the team. They should reasonably be able to expect to, on average, see a good team. The coaches and admins are directly paid by the university, and the players are indirectly paid through scholarships. They do not have a right to expect anything from the fans. I'll put it this way. If there were a band, and at one time they were a good band and had sold-out performances, but now they're getting old, and aren't in sync and the singer now sings off-key. Do they have a right to expect people to show up and watch the concert? No.

GMB, if you look at fans at football games simly as conumers of entertainment, then your point is valid.

However, think of the 12th Man at College Station; think of the homefield advantage.  To me that suggests that the fans are not simply spectators, but also participators.  Do you think fans at a home game can make a difference in the game?

I bet the players expect us to cheer and be loud tomorrow night in the Rock, and we will.  Do they not have the right to expect that of us?  I contend they do.

Furthermore, I contend that the fans have a right to expect the coaches to coach, and the player to play; and in turn the coaches and players have a right to expect the fans to come , cheer, and support the team.

It seems to me that the fans are a part of the "program".  The program is comprised of several parts, but they include the administration, the coaches, the players, the spirit groups, and yes the fans.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 07, 2005, 09:46:47 pm
The Program does have the right to expect that from the fans, but only if they uphold their end of the bargain. And that's done by winning games.

It's a two-way street. Some fans feel it's becoming a one-way street. They feel they give but get nothing in return.

Scott...different topic please.

Do you follow Oklahoma high school football? 

It seems to me that, overall, OK high school football is quite a bit superior to AR hs fb.

Do you agree with that assessment?  If so, why do you think that is the case?

TulsaHogFan

Jenks vs Springdale, conversation ended.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on October 07, 2005, 09:52:23 pm
Jenks vs Springdale, conversation ended.

Check the scores of the other inter-state games.  Not that pretty for the Natural State, especially if you include the past several years.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 07, 2005, 10:20:32 pm
Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 07, 2005, 09:50:50 pm
Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 07, 2005, 09:46:47 pm
The Program does have the right to expect that from the fans, but only if they uphold their end of the bargain. And that's done by winning games.

It's a two-way street. Some fans feel it's becoming a one-way street. They feel they give but get nothing in return.

Scott...different topic please.

Do you follow Oklahoma high school football?

It seems to me that, overall, OK high school football is quite a bit superior to AR hs fb.

Do you agree with that assessment? If so, why do you think that is the case?

I think Oklahoma prep football is a little bit better than Arkansas football. You put same size schools against same size schools and the Oklahoma schools usually win. For example, Poteau, which isn't a powerhouse, dominated Alma for a few years in a row.

While Springdale beat Jenks this year, I think that's an exception rather than a rule. Those Jenks teams that Northside played five and six years ago were every bit as good as Springdale, perhaps better defensively.

The reasons are numerous, Tulsa. I don't think one is more important than the other. Quality of coaching is one. Oklahoma schools have been building Bentonville-esque stadiums for years. Arkansas schools are just now starting to invest in weight rooms and indoor practice facilities that larger Oklahoma schools have had for 10 years. The move to 7-on-7 was slow to catch on in Arkansas. The fact that Oklahoma has high school wrestling, which helps develop better linemen, is another.

Really, it might just be that like most other national trends, Oklahoma is a few years behind Texas. And Arkansas is a few years behind Oklahoma.

But I do think there's a better brand of football played in Oklahoma than Arkansas.

Thanks for the response.  Your take is interesting.  I had never connected the importance of wrestling before.

You mentioned quality of coaching.  Rick Jones moved from Broken Arrow to Greenland a few years ago.  Do you know how he has done there?  Seems I heard a good report about him the other day.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 07, 2005, 10:34:56 pm
Rick Jones is at Greenwood, not Greenland. Big difference.

Greenwood is 4-1, with the only loss being by 1 to Bentonville, which is pounding Northside right tonight.

Greenwood....sorry.

How was Greenwood before he got there? Has RJ made a difference in their program?