Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do any of you Support Houston Nutt?

Started by Texas, October 06, 2005, 09:28:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas

October 06, 2005, 09:28:28 pm Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 09:42:58 pm by Texas
Seems like all I am reading off this website are the words, "FIRE HOUSTON NUTT". Is that really the best thing for the program? Or is it just a bandwagon to jump on and Nutt is the scapegoat. First off, most of you haven't even played high school football much less college ball. With that being said, having not played much less having not coached gives you less credibility in being able to determine what makes for a quality coach. How many of us really know what it takes on a day to day basis to run a program like Arkansas? Much less be able to determine if someone else can or cannot do those tasks.

The fact remains that Nutt is going to stay and there are valid reasons for it. He has shown the ability to motivate players like few other coaches in the NCAA. Are we forgetting that top programs were offering big bucks to bring him to their schools such as LSU and Nebraska both are which are top tier programs.

Again, Nutt is not the issue and to fire him would take us further down a road of utter ruin. So let's be creative and think of something new to say!

NuttsSacked

Quote from: Texas on October 06, 2005, 09:28:28 pm
So let's be creative and think of something new to say!

OK.  BAN TEXAS!!!

idochog

I havent really supported him since he blew the 2003 season.
I love Jesus!

corndo

QuoteHow many of us really know what it takes on a day to day basis to ruin a program like Arkansas? Much less be able to determine if someone else can or cannot do those tasks.

Ruin or run??? i if you meant ruin then I'd have to agree that Nutt has just what it takes!

kremlinhog

lots of us here have played football, but your premise is laughably flawed if you really think one must have played to have any expertise.
there are successful head coaches who did not play.
you dont support the program you just support nutt which is your right but i really dont take your posts seriously because you really
cant believe some of what you say.

BuschHawg

Do any of you Support Houston Nutt? No!

BuschHawg

HaWg 10

FIRE HDN!!!! WE WANT BUTCH!!! AND GUS!!!
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

Oklahawg

A horrible premise-- that success as a student of the game or a commentator on the game is in any way related to playing experience. Pete Rose was as good a hitter as MLB has ever seen. He was a lousy hitting coach and miserable head coach. He couldn't comment on the game without lousing it up so badly that you'd turn the sound off. End of theory.

I support the return of Razorback Football to the upper echelon, a return to the elite teams that are mentioned every broadcast as a contender. While I don't actually care who the coach is I enjoy the fact that HDN is an Arkansas native. I would like the coach to be a lifelong Razorback. Its not a necessity, and, as Hatfield showed us, can be detrimental to the team.

I fear that a complete turnover of coaches will prolong the recovery. I suspect that there is a formula for high success that includes HDN as HC. Fine. I have little faith that JFB will force such change. I have little faith that HDN miraculously figures it out on his own. I have nagging fears that there is irreparable damage to the UA program that will ultimately require HDN moving on to fix.

HDN coaches in an environment created by JFB and the Foundation. He has been rewarded for certain employee behavior. I worry that we have an organizational structure that will simply recreate our current situation a few years down the road with a new coach. We'll inherit a new HC, should HDN not return next year, with a different set of weaknesses that can be tolerated high up the foodchain because the next coach works within the structure created by his superiors. I question whether there is a coach out there who can succeed within the structure and be substantially better than HDN.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

filthyswine

Again, Nutt is not the issue and to fire him would take us further down a road of utter ruin. So let's be creative and think of something new to say!

This is BS to me.  Everyone thinks that if we fire Nutt, that it will set us back for years to come.  Ask the Notre Dame alumni if they are sad about hiring Charlie Weiss, or take into consideration how we responded when Houston was hired in 1998.  I think most teams respond favorably to a new head coach. 

HogInMemphis

Seems like all I am reading off this website are the words, "FIRE HOUSTON NUTT". Is that really the best thing for the program? Or is it just a bandwagon to jump on and Nutt is the scapegoat. First off, most of you haven't even played high school football much less college ball. With that being said, having not played much less having not coached gives you less credibility in being able to determine what makes for a quality coach. How many of us really know what it takes on a day to day basis to run a program like Arkansas? Much less be able to determine if someone else can or cannot do those tasks.

The fact remains that Nutt is going to stay and there are valid reasons for it. He has shown the ability to motivate players like few other coaches in the NCAA. Are we forgetting that top programs were offering big bucks to bring him to their schools such as LSU and Nebraska both are which are top tier programs.

I know several former Razorback starters who think Nutt is awful and want to see him fired. Besides, you don't have to be a winemaker to know a good bottle from a bad bottle.

How do you go further down a road of "utter ruin"?  We're there unless you think it's possible to go 1-10 or 0-11 in the next year or two. We are pretty much at the bottom for Hog football.

hog tied

Fans have the perrogative, even if they have never played or coached, to demand that their coach not dodge his critics, answer questions forthrightly, and keep the promises he made to his players and the fans.

and no, I do not support Nutt as coach.

i believe that Clint Stoerner's ability to audible and get the ball to the right recievers and Matt Jones' ability to get out of trouble and scramble saved many a game for us. if these guys had not been on the team, I think Nutt's ineptitude would have been even more obvious.   

idochog

Quote from: hog tied on October 06, 2005, 10:31:56 pm

i believe that Clint Stoerner's ability to audible and get the ball to the right recievers and Matt Jones' ability to get out of trouble and scramble saved many a game for us. if these guys had not been on the team, I think Nutt's ineptitude would have been even more obvious.

I completely agree w/ that.  I still cant believe people are buying into HDN's crap after watching what HDN did w/ the 2003 team when he had tons of talent and a extremely favorable schedule.
I love Jesus!

dirty stanchez

jblack19

Yep... Nutt wont leave.... :razorback:

JoeBobHog

I would support Bozo the frickin' Clown if he'd average 10 wins a season.
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

GrizzledHogFan

Seems like all I am reading off this website are the words, "FIRE HOUSTON NUTT" . . . let's be creative and think of something new to say!

OK.  How about "can Houston Nutt," "show Nutt the door," or "let Houston go?"  Are any of those more to your liking?
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

HOGCATCH

Winning is a way of life!

hogken

im still in it! were committed now, the chances for winning are unfortunately still better with NUTT in a short period of time! If everyone is really about winning as you say, then Nutt is there and he has done it before.
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

lunchbox72703

Texas

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 06, 2005, 10:16:45 pm
A horrible premise-- that success as a student of the game or a commentator on the game is in any way related to playing experience. Pete Rose was as good a hitter as MLB has ever seen. He was a lousy hitting coach and miserable head coach. He couldn't comment on the game without lousing it up so badly that you'd turn the sound off. End of theory.

I support the return of Razorback Football to the upper echelon, a return to the elite teams that are mentioned every broadcast as a contender. While I don't actually care who the coach is I enjoy the fact that HDN is an Arkansas native. I would like the coach to be a lifelong Razorback. Its not a necessity, and, as Hatfield showed us, can be detrimental to the team.

I fear that a complete turnover of coaches will prolong the recovery. I suspect that there is a formula for high success that includes HDN as HC. Fine. I have little faith that JFB will force such change. I have little faith that HDN miraculously figures it out on his own. I have nagging fears that there is irreparable damage to the UA program that will ultimately require HDN moving on to fix.

HDN coaches in an environment created by JFB and the Foundation. He has been rewarded for certain employee behavior. I worry that we have an organizational structure that will simply recreate our current situation a few years down the road with a new coach. We'll inherit a new HC, should HDN not return next year, with a different set of weaknesses that can be tolerated high up the foodchain because the next coach works within the structure created by his superiors. I question whether there is a coach out there who can succeed within the structure and be substantially better than HDN.

I agree with you completely and do feel that HDN is the best man for the job. I still think there is a lot in Nutt that we are overlooking. The fact is that coaches in NCAA respect HDN and its not just because he is a nice guy. I think there is wisdom in a program that sticks by a coach and doesn't jump on the bandwagon that "some fans" always seem prone to do. Let's follow Penn State's lead and be patient with Nutt as PSU has with Joe Paterno

kremlinhog

i am still trying to figure out why the coaches like nutt and am a little flummoxed as to why the nutt huggers constantly bring this point up but it happens routinely. the coaches cant respect him for his record anywhere, so that reason is out the door, so i can only assume the opposing coaches support him is because they know he is an easy victory (terrible against sec winning programs and losses to sc, vandy and kentucky, the trifecta.)

what does it mean to you that he is respected, does that get us any more points or victories or better officiating. why do you need validation that someone likes our coach, why does that make you feel better. get some respect, we dont need someone from bama or georgia to "like our coach" we need one that they fear.

Flatline

Quote from: Texas on October 07, 2005, 06:46:58 am

I agree with you completely and do feel that HDN is the best man for the job. I still think there is a lot in Nutt that we are overlooking. The fact is that coaches in NCAA respect HDN and its not just because he is a nice guy. I think there is wisdom in a program that sticks by a coach and doesn't jump on the bandwagon that "some fans" always seem prone to do. Let's follow Penn State's lead and be patient with Nutt as PSU has with Joe Paterno

Hey Bo,

You don't have to change your name to get on here and tell how you feel. This is Bo isn't it?

Sound the Horns

Okay, so we can't make a comment or have our opinion for a coach because we don't play or coach football?  First off, I played football for Central so I guess I'm free and clear to make my point. WE NEED A NEW COACH PREFERABLY A MORE AGGRESSIVE COACH THAT DOESN'T MAKE EXCUSES AND ACCEPTS FAULT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. WE NEED A COACH THAT CAN ACTUALLY DEVELOPE AND RECRUIT A TRUE QB IN 8 YEARS. WE NEED A COACH THAT CAN TAKE US TO A BCS BOWL ATLEAST ONCE A DECADE. WE NEED A COACH THAT ISN'T STUBBORN AND WILL HAVE A OC AND THAT WILL HAVE SOME KIND OF STRATEGY. WE NEED A COACH THAT PUTS PLAYERS WHERE THEY ARE NEEDED AND NOT WHERE  THE PLAYERS PREFER. WE NEED A COACH THAT DOESN'T WEAR KNEE PADS WHEN HE STEPS IN BROYLES OFFICE.

kremlinhog

kremlinhog is still awaiting a reply to the question i posted, just what does it get us that our opposition "respects houston nutt"-again does it get us more
points, wins or better officiating since nutt is respected. i prefer validation with wins, not that he is respeted by forrest gump in alabama

Since 1894

I am still drinking the kool aid and support Houston!!  He told us we would have 2 down years and (as reported) he was given that "free pass" when he turned down Nebraska.  I won't judge his coaching abilities until AFTER the 2007 season.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

idochog

Quote from: Texas on October 07, 2005, 06:46:58 am

I wouldnt compare JoPa to HDN.  JoPa has won 2 count'em 2 national championships and done things HDN only dreamed about.  We might as well hire Ken Hatfield back b/c HDN is gonna take us to the level of Rice University.  I honestly think HDN is more suited for the WAC.
I love Jesus!

wallyhog

I'm not willing to wait until 2007, Nutt needs to go, he's not the answer.

idochog

Quote from: wallyhog on October 07, 2005, 08:25:18 am
I'm not willing to wait until 2007, Nutt needs to go, he's not the answer.

Im beginning to think HDN is the modern day Jim Jones, He has served up some serious Kool-aid to alot of fans and media.

Big Jim Lindsey musta drank a gallon of HDN's special mix.
I love Jesus!

JDW

Quote from: Since 1894 on October 07, 2005, 08:15:05 am

I am still drinking the kool aid and support Houston!! He told us we would have 2 down years and (as reported) he was given that "free pass" when he turned down Nebraska. I won't judge his coaching abilities until AFTER the 2007 season.

I can agree to this. And

KEEP HDN!!!

A Boy Named Sue E.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: filthyswine on October 06, 2005, 10:20:55 pm

This is BS to me. Everyone thinks that if we fire Nutt, that it will set us back for years to come. Ask the Notre Dame alumni if they are sad about hiring Charlie Weiss, or take into consideration how we responded when Houston was hired in 1998. I think most teams respond favorably to a new head coach.

We're not Notre Dame and never will be.

Call Mr. Sow

First off, there's very little indication the Hog team is going to be significantly better next season, so those of you saying 'wait until '07' are just putting off the inevitable. 

Next season, at a minimum, we'll have to replace Zac Tubbs, Kyle Roper, Vickiel Vaughn, Darius Vinnett, Clark Moore, and Pierre Brown.  Sure, we'll have solid young talent at most of the skill positions, but without an OL or a decent defense, are we really any better off than this year?  And even if the talent has improved next year, who's to say Nutt won't screw it up like he did when we were loaded in 2003?

Do we really need a full nine years to evaluate Nutt's coaching talent?  I know I had to prove myself at my job in the first year to keep it.  But eight years is not a sufficient period of time to evaluate Nutt's talent?  Seems excessive to me.

So, no, I do not support Houston Nutt.

BANISH HIM!!

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Texas on October 07, 2005, 06:46:58 amLet's follow Penn State's lead and be patient with Nutt as PSU has with Joe Paterno

Explain to me what JoePa and Nutt have in common?

The only thing I can think of is that they've both reached and passed their coaching prime.

jblack19

I am still drinking the kool aid and support Houston!! He told us we would have 2 down years and (as reported) he was given that "free pass" when he turned down Nebraska. I won't judge his coaching abilities until AFTER the 2007 season.

abso-freakin-lutely!!!

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on October 07, 2005, 09:00:19 am
Quote from: Texas on October 07, 2005, 06:46:58 amLet's follow Penn State's lead and be patient with Nutt as PSU has with Joe Paterno

The only thing I can think of is that they've both reached and passed their coaching prime.

Agreed.

My onle problem is i look at us in big games.  We crumble. 

When Was The Last Time We Made a successful Adjustment Coming Out Of Halftime???

Get Biggus to run the numbers and look at our playcalling, its simple and unoriginal.  Easy to predict and easy to defend.  I am sorry but i am too tired of arguing with idiots.

HDN has never been the answer.  As a motivator he is impressive, as a HEAD COACH, he is not even close to getting the job done. 

TulsaHogFan

Let me ask you this, so HDN comes to us at the end of the season and another team offers him, and he stays and says, well i am staying but i have to warn you, there are two more years of being a down team ahead.  What do you say?  Well thats fine, here is your free pass?  Are you serious? 

A down year and getting blown out by USC by almost 60 are two completely different things.  One is horrible, the other is an embarassment to the entire fan base.

Torqued pork

Monday morning why don't you tell your boss you will be "down" for the next two years and ask him or her not to judge you until 2007.

Turnberry

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on October 07, 2005, 07:48:33 pm

Monday morning why don't you tell your boss you will be "down" for the next two years and ask him or her not to judge you until 2007.

2007???  If I were you I'd probably wait until 2012.  Realistically,the probation will hurt us until then.

aka PlanoHog

Torqued pork

October 07, 2005, 07:59:08 pm #38 Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 08:02:08 pm by Bubbaswinestein
Quote from: Turnberry on October 07, 2005, 07:52:49 pm
Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on October 07, 2005, 07:48:33 pm

2007??? If I were you I'd probably wait until 2012. Realistically,the probation will hurt us until then.

Probation my arse. We have recieved the death penalty and it is costing us 1.5 million a year.

Anti-OtisII

I'm one that thinks HDN needs to be replaced, but I understand that we need to let this season play out before any final decison is made.  Not because I think that HDN has a chance to turn things around, but because this team needs our support to build on the future.  But in my book unless we finish at least 6-5 and make it back to a bowl game there is no way that we can afford to keep HDN as HC for another year.  We will be branded as another program on the decline and our 2006 recruiting class will be below average and would be even worse if not for the signing of Mitch Mustain. 

But I have a simple question for the HDN supporters on this board that keep mentioning the "2 year free pass"......if you had been told at that time that after the first year of that free pass in which the Hogs fielded one of the worst defenses in Razorback history, that only one assistant coach would be fired when there were obviously more that needed to go would you have supported a "carte blanche" 2 year free pass?  Or if you had been told that the "2 year free pass" included losing at home to Vandy or having a defensive performance on national TV that included surrendering the most points in a game since early in the 20th century and included giving up 4 TDs on the first 8 offensive plays of that game, would you then have thought that a "2 year free pass" was really worth it?  Why don't you just drop your pants, bend over, and take whatever you get because HDN was given a "2 year free pass"?  Show some pride in what should be a better Razorback football program and don't question my status as a "real fan".  I will be sitting in my season ticket seats at the Auburn game in Fayetteville and rooting for the Hogs to win, but I will be wearing a "black" shirt to show my displeasure at where our program is right now.

Dances With Hogs

Send Nutty to be Phat Phils Asst offensive coor.
Quote from: idochog on October 06, 2005, 09:35:14 pm
I havent really supported him since he blew the 2003 season.

PigInGulfport

I do not support Houston Nutt and it's not a band wagon thing!!  I actually went anti Nutt during the 02 Season.  All he has done since then has confirmed my "Darksider" Side!!!
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

filthyswine

Quote from: Creole Hog on October 07, 2005, 08:51:13 am
Quote from: filthyswine on October 06, 2005, 10:20:55 pm

This is BS to me. Everyone thinks that if we fire Nutt, that it will set us back for years to come. Ask the Notre Dame alumni if they are sad about hiring Charlie Weiss, or take into consideration how we responded when Houston was hired in 1998. I think most teams respond favorably to a new head coach.

We're not Notre Dame and never will be.

I agree with this b/c we're not even good enough to be Vandy.  All I'm saying is that we shouldn't be afraid of change.

wacohog

BTW people,

not all of us that live in Texas are as inane as the guy who started this thread

Texas

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on October 07, 2005, 09:00:19 am

As for you RazorbackJedi, you don't like Houston Nutt now and last year it was Matt Jones! If we get Mitch Mustain, are you going to go against him as well?

Boarsnest

DE-NUTT THE RAZORBACK FOOTBALL PROGRAM!!! When was the last game we played that we looked prepared for offensively and defensively. Our play calling looks like a Chinese firedrill on the sideline. Everyone keeps saying we played Alabama close folks the game I watched looked like Alabama was looking ahead to Florida!!! They already knew our five plays from the past few years even though the crayons are starting to smudge in Houston's coloring book.

JDW

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on October 07, 2005, 08:16:57 pm

I'm one that thinks HDN needs to be replaced, but I understand that we need to let this season play out before any final decison is made.  Not because I think that HDN has a chance to turn things around, but because this team needs our support to build on the future.  But in my book unless we finish at least 6-5 and make it back to a bowl game there is no way that we can afford to keep HDN as HC for another year.  We will be branded as another program on the decline and our 2006 recruiting class will be below average and would be even worse if not for the signing of Mitch Mustain. 

But I have a simple question for the HDN supporters on this board that keep mentioning the "2 year free pass"......if you had been told at that time that after the first year of that free pass in which the Hogs fielded one of the worst defenses in Razorback history, that only one assistant coach would be fired when there were obviously more that needed to go would you have supported a "carte blanche" 2 year free pass?  Or if you had been told that the "2 year free pass" included losing at home to Vandy or having a defensive performance on national TV that included surrendering the most points in a game since early in the 20th century and included giving up 4 TDs on the first 8 offensive plays of that game, would you then have thought that a "2 year free pass" was really worth it?  Why don't you just drop your pants, bend over, and take whatever you get because HDN was given a "2 year free pass"?  Show some pride in what should be a better Razorback football program and don't question my status as a "real fan". I will be sitting in my season ticket seats at the Auburn game in Fayetteville and rooting for the Hogs to win, but I will be wearing a "black" shirt to show my displeasure at where our program is right now.

Wes,

According to you signature line you should just SHUT UP and eat your lemons.

Heehee...sorry, just kidding, but I couldn't resist.

I can understand your point of view. You going to any of the games in Little Rock?

John

NuttsSacked

Quote from: PigInGulfport on October 07, 2005, 08:56:37 pm
I do not support Houston Nutt and it's not a band wagon thing!! I actually went anti Nutt during the 02 Season. All he has done since then has confirmed my "Darksider" Side!!!

It's good to see you here, Pig.  How have you been fairing since Katrina?  I'm in Jackson, AL...only 3 hours away from you.  Life is normal here.  The worst of the storm passed 80 miles to our west.

Let me know if you need anything and I'll do my best to provide it. 

kremlinhog

kremlinhog is still waiting for an answer as to what it gets us that out of staters like nutt, again do we get more points, wins or what.
what does it do for you that someone from another state likes nutt.

third request for an answer.