Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Open Championship

Started by EastexHawg, July 19, 2017, 10:05:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Here's my hot sports opinion... David Duval will make the cut.  I have no idea who will win until seeing how the weather plays out and who gets the better end of the draw.

Dr. Starcs

July 20, 2017, 07:48:09 am #1 Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:08:09 pm by Dr. Starcs
Quote from: EastexHawg on July 19, 2017, 10:05:32 pm
Here's my hot sports opinion... David Duval will make the cut.  I have no idea who will win until seeing how the weather plays out and who gets the better end of the draw.

Uh.....

RagingHawgOn

Weather is benign right now but watch out, supposed to be crazy over the next couple of days.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 19, 2017, 10:05:32 pm

Well, Duval will have to have a great round tomorrow as he is +9, but he did beat two golfers today.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on July 20, 2017, 10:53:42 am
Well, Duval will have to have a great round tomorrow as he is +9, but he did beat two golfers today.

Yeah, I really nailed that one.

Boarcephus

Anyone watching this today?  Open weather has returned.  Justin Thomas just took a 9 on a par 4.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 21, 2017, 10:41:48 am
Anyone watching this today?  Open weather has returned.  Justin Thomas just took a 9 on a par 4.
You bet. glad its back to normal open conditions. Love watching the struggle.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on July 21, 2017, 10:54:19 am
You bet. glad its back to normal open conditions. Love watching the struggle.

You and I both.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

pork in the whiskers

The almost a Hog, former commit Austin Connelly looks to have made the right decision to spurn college and go straight to pros.

ricepig

Quote from: pork in the whiskers on July 22, 2017, 12:13:35 pm
The almost a Hog, former commit Austin Connelly looks to have made the right decision to spurn college and go straight to pros.

Yeah, still would have liked to have seen him as Hog.

ronmahony

Perfect weather today, Kooch and Spieth both playing great, but man those clouds are looking rough. I like both of those guys, just hope weather doesn't effect it. That would suck after the rounds some of those guys are playing.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2017, 12:47:20 pm

I still wouldn't root for him.

pork in the whiskers

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2017, 12:47:20 pm

Absolutely! Would have been fun to watch for a year. Maybe could have been Hog version of Spieth.

Iwastherein1969

I realize predicting Spieth this early Sunday morning to win the British Open is no great revelation. By the way, when did this tournament become "THE OPEN" ? I digress. I think Spieth will gradually pull away early and then pour it on with a par barrage on the back 9 while Jordan's pursuers are forced to take chances and will only fall further behind. Jordan wins this as they say at Oaklawn Park, "running out of the picture"....ie, 11 shots
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

PonderinHog

Aaaaaaaand Spieth is +3 through four holes...

majestic

"Jordan wins this as they say at Oaklawn Park, "running out of the picture"....ie, 11 shots"

ahahhahahhhahaha! It's tied up now. (Though I am pulling for Spieth)

And Tirico just said, "and now we have a horse race here". Nice tie-in with the Oaklawn comment.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

EastexHawg

I am going to thoroughly enjoy watching Bevo Boy fall apart.  Maybe if he loses he can console himself with his security blanket towel.  I don't know why he doesn't just go ahead, take it from his caddie, and wear it around like Linus.  "Come on, towel, move onto my shoulder a little.  Just a little bit!"

EastexHawg

The amount of time Spieth is taking is outrageous.  I'm to the point that I would rather see Li win.

Biggus Piggus

Spieth is well on the way to earning the mantle of golf's greatest choke artist.
[CENSORED]!

majestic

I don't understand the Spieth hate. He seems like a good kid to me.

hawgon

Spieth made the greatest bogey I've ever seen.  Dagger to the heart.

majestic

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 23, 2017, 11:42:40 am
Spieth is well on the way to earning the mantle of golf's greatest choke artist.

Uh...

I will say he is lucky to be going against Kuchar (no killer instinct) again today.

hawgon

Best final round in a major I've ever seen a guy have.  It was a meltdown for the ages and he turned it on a dime.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: hawgon on July 23, 2017, 12:36:41 pm
Best final round in a major I've ever seen a guy have.  It was a meltdown for the ages and he turned it on a dime.
I won't go that far (Phil in '13 Brit open was badass), but definitely the greatest turnaround I've ever seen. Speith was toast after that tee shot on 14, but he just flipped the switch.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

ronmahony

Jordan seems like a class act to me. Great final round I have always liked him but I sure would have enjoyed watching Kooch win it. Last years Open was hard to beat, but I think they did it. I would have liked to have heard what Kooch was saying to him those last few holes. According to Phil, he is the best for want of a better word, wiseass in golf, in a good way.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

GoHogs1091

Spieth better win all that he can before that putter he uses is worn out or it falls apart.

It should be remembered that he changed putters earlier this year, and he did not putt as well.  He then went back to his "trusty" putter.

No one goes through their entire professional playing career using just 1 putter.  His tee-to-green game is not the greatest, and when that "trusty" putter eventually is worn out or it breaks then his not so great tee-to-green game will get magnified.

majestic

Why would a putter wear out? It's not like you hit it that hard. I have a million year-old Wilson Blackjack balata that still looks new.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: majestic on July 23, 2017, 02:23:57 pm
Why would a putter wear out? It's not like you hit it that hard. I have a million year-old Wilson Blackjack balata that still looks new.
They don't. Those 1950 era bullseye putters still roll the rock like they always have.

There's a class of golf fan that has to discredit JS for some reason. Insinuating that he only wins because he makes a ton of putts because he's lucky is the go to.

Unfortunately for them, that chicken wing looks to be here to stay.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

GoHogs1091

Quote from: majestic on July 23, 2017, 02:23:57 pm

There can be a failure where the shaft comes into the putter head.

Kenny Perry won a ton of tournaments and a ton of money using a Ping Craz-E  Putter, but then eventually a shaft broke and he couldn't get it repaired right.

majestic

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 23, 2017, 03:01:51 pm
There can be a failure where the shaft comes into the putter head.

Kenny Perry won a ton of tournaments and a ton of money using a Ping Craz-E  Putter, but then eventually a shaft broke and he couldn't get it repaired right.
A ton? He's won 14 PGA events, ever.

hawgon

Quote from: majestic on July 23, 2017, 03:16:58 pm
A ton? He's won 14 PGA events, ever.

I about two years it seemed like.  He was one of the hottest guys around for a few years.  And fourteen wins is nothing to sneeze at.  I think Fred Couples has 15.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on July 23, 2017, 04:06:41 pm
I about two years it seemed like.  He was one of the hottest guys around for a few years.  And fourteen wins is nothing to sneeze at.  I think Fred Couples has 15.

Pfftt.....Langer won that many alone anchoring his putter, piece a cake.

majestic

Quote from: hawgon on July 23, 2017, 04:06:41 pm
I guess. Though he never won a major. It does put him up there with Ken Venturi after playing twice as long.

Boarcephus

Quote from: majestic on July 23, 2017, 11:51:26 am
I don't understand the Spieth hate. He seems like a good kid to me.

He is a good guy.  I got a kick out of him on the first hole today.  Hit a good drive, got a bad break and all he said was "That's crap!"  Been Tiger, F bombs would have been flying.

Hogfan46

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 23, 2017, 02:00:01 pm
Spieth better win all that he can before that putter he uses is worn out or it falls apart.

It should be remembered that he changed putters earlier this year, and he did not putt as well.  He then went back to his "trusty" putter.

No one goes through their entire professional playing career using just 1 putter.  His tee-to-green game is not the greatest, and when that "trusty" putter eventually is worn out or it breaks then his not so great tee-to-green game will get magnified.

Spieth is currently 6th on tour in strokes gained tee to green and 5th in greens in regulation. I'd say his tee-to-green game is just fine.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 23, 2017, 11:42:40 am

Insane post.
Go away, batin'

ricepig

Quote from: cosmodrum on July 23, 2017, 05:25:47 pm
Insane post.

Even if he lost this one, he'd have to lose another half dozen to take that mantle from Norman.

majestic

cc

Quote from: Hogfan46 on July 23, 2017, 04:38:04 pm
Spieth is currently 6th on tour in strokes gained tee to green and 5th in greens in regulation. I'd say his tee-to-green game is just fine.

Yeah I would say that's pretty good.  I like Jordan and was amazing to watch him go -5 in 4 holes.

CJ HOG

A whole lot of boot lickin' going for a Shorthorn, on a Hog message board of all places....

On a serious note, most reports seem to point towards JS being a decent kid. When it comes to his golf and the television coverage however, I have 2 hang ups that irk the darn out of me:

1) He takes entirely too looooong to play to a point it's annoying.

2) He whines incessantly throughout his rounds to an annoying level as well.

Personally, I hope his putting fails him completely, and he's relocated to the regions near Keagan Bradley & Webb Simpson. Which is still a pretty good living in the world of golf.

::hornsdown:: That is all. ::hornsdown::

EastexHawg

Quote from: CJ HOG on July 24, 2017, 05:58:16 am
A whole lot of boot lickin' going for a Shorthorn, on a Hog message board of all places....

On a serious note, most reports seem to point towards JS being a decent kid. When it comes to his golf and the television coverage however, I have 2 hang ups that irk the darn out of me:

1) He takes entirely too looooong to play to a point it's annoying.

2) He whines incessantly throughout his rounds to an annoying level as well.

Personally, I hope his putting fails him completely, and he's relocated to the regions near Keagan Bradley & Webb Simpson. Which is still a pretty good living in the world of golf.

::hornsdown:: That is all. ::hornsdown::

I agree.  Good kid or not, he is an incredibly annoying little s**t on the course.  He's beyond slow and the incessant talking to...make that begging...the ball on every shot, as if it's headed into the middle of the lake when and then ends up 15 feet from the hole, is unbearable.  Not to mention the idiosyncrasies that make him even slower, like the going back and touching his towel while pretending to wipe his hand.  I would hate his guts if I played golf with him.

Typical Shorthorn. 

EastexHawg

At one point yesterday Spieth and Kuchar were playing I think the 13th hole while the group ahead of them was on the 16th green.  That's not just taking a while to figure out his options while taking an unplayable lie.  They (he) had already been told to speed it up before The Great Drop Adventure.

hawgon

He is not as slow as some like to make him out to be.  That round yesterday took 4:08 and that is with the 30 minute delay on 13.  4:08 isn't a bad time for the last grouping at a major.  Remove that 13th debacle and it would have been a little over 3:30.  Lots of twosomes can't play at your local muni faster than that.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 24, 2017, 08:44:44 am
I agree.  Good kid or not, he is an incredibly annoying little s**t on the course.  He's beyond slow and the incessant talking to...make that begging...the ball on every shot, as if it's headed into the middle of the lake when and then ends up 15 feet from the hole, is unbearable.  Not to mention the idiosyncrasies that make him even slower, like the going back and touching his towel while pretending to wipe his hand.  I would hate his guts if I played golf with him.

Typical Shorthorn. 

I routinely cuss my golf ball for going the wrong direction, it helps to train them.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawgon on July 24, 2017, 09:26:34 am
He is not as slow as some like to make him out to be.  That round yesterday took 4:08 and that is with the 30 minute delay on 13.  4:08 isn't a bad time for the last grouping at a major.  Remove that 13th debacle and it would have been a little over 3:30.  Lots of twosomes can't play at your local muni faster than that.

When the group that teed off right before you is three holes ahead someone is playing slow.  R&A officials had already talked to them about slow play before Spieth took 25 minutes to decide where to drop his ball.  I was wondering if he was waiting for a sea gull to pick it up and drop it on the green for him.

He shot 69 on a day when McIlroy shot 67, there were a few 65s and at least one 64, and the guy who finished third shot 63.  That comes one day after the lowest score in the history of majors was shot on the same course.  The "greatest round ever" talk is silly.  But...I will admit I don't particularly care for Spieth so I am undoubtedly prejudiced. 

hawgon

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 24, 2017, 09:47:40 am
When the group that teed off right before you is three holes ahead someone is playing slow.  R&A officials had already talked to them about slow play before Spieth took 25 minutes to decide where to drop his ball.  I was wondering if he was waiting for a sea gull to pick it up and drop it on the green for him.

He shot 69 on a day when McIlroy shot 67, there were a few 65s and at least one 64, and the guy who finished third shot 63.  That comes one day after the lowest score in the history of majors was shot on the same course.  The "greatest round ever" talk is silly.  But...I will admit I don't particularly care for Spieth so I am undoubtedly prejudiced.

It was for five holes, the greatest round ever.  And considering how badly he had been playing, it was one of the most amazing turn around a and rounds in major history.

Hogfan46

He shot 65, 69, 65, 69 and was the only player that shot under par all 4 rounds. He played his best golf coming down the stretch with everything on the line and the wind picking up and starting to rain. The players that shot lower yesterday had the luxury of no pressure and a tamer course.

Spieth is widely liked by players on tour, young and old and has been nothing but respectful and gracious while winning and losing.
Am I a fan of his...you bet. I could not care less that he went to UT for one year. His talent and character are undeniable. He makes golf fun to watch and that is all that matters to me.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on July 24, 2017, 09:38:50 am
I routinely cuss my golf ball for going the wrong direction, it helps to train them.
Sounds to me like they need lessons.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hogfan46 on July 24, 2017, 10:08:04 am
He shot 65, 69, 65, 69 and was the only player that shot under par all 4 rounds. He played his best golf coming down the stretch with everything on the line and the wind picking up and starting to rain. The players that shot lower yesterday had the luxury of no pressure and a tamer course.

Spieth is widely liked by players on tour, young and old and has been nothing but respectful and gracious while winning and losing.
Am I a fan of his...you bet. I could not care less that he went to UT for one year. His talent and character are undeniable. He makes golf fun to watch and that is all that matters to me.

Agreed.  Admittedly he's only the 2nd sip I've found myself pulling for.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin