Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Two-a-days

Started by magtownfan, September 02, 2015, 01:34:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

magtownfan

What's everyone's opinion on CBB not doing two-a-days? I've read an article about it and I like the idea. I can see both sides of the argument. Hope it works out for us tho! I'm on here every day but  if it's already been discussed, my bad. I don't have 50 posts but been a member since 2006. WPS!

PorkRinds

From what I understand, he still technically calls it two a days.  But instead of them practicing twice a day, they have one longer session.  So they aren't losing much practice time, it's just longer practices balanced with meetings and what not.

AugustaHog

From what I understand, the second session is essentially a "walk-through".  The players are still getting the mental reps, without the physical toll that two-a-days takes on the body.  I like the idea, especially when our players are in top physical condition and don't need the work to get in shape.  As long as they do their jobs with Herb in the off-season, this plan should work just fine.  Although if we drop the first two SEC games to UT and TAMU, I'm sure plenty will take issue with this new way of doing things.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: magtownfan on September 02, 2015, 01:34:25 am
What's everyone's opinion on CBB not doing two-a-days? I've read an article about it and I like the idea. I can see both sides of the argument. Hope it works out for us tho! I'm on here every day but  if it's already been discussed, my bad. I don't have 50 posts but been a member since 2006. WPS!
My attitude is that if CBB's fine with it then it's definitely okay with me. He's the man and I try to let him be with a minimal amount of second guessing on my part.

longtimeHogfan

If we're beaten like rag dolls by the hierarchy of the SEC we'll always think that 2-a-days might have 'toughened' us up.  If not.....meh....
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

GolfnHog

Long standing premise of 2adays was to get the players in football condition and shape. Since they are all on campus pretty much year round now I don't see the benefits of 2 sessions of pounding the hell out of each other. As another poster mentioned if they are following Coach Herb's program and doing what he expects then they should be in optimum condition.

The longer 1 session and "walk thru" seem to allow the players bodies to  recover which in turn lowered the risk of various injuries which means we have more hands on deck to start the season.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

WarPig88

Quote from: GolfnHog on September 02, 2015, 12:25:34 pm
Long standing premise of 2adays was to get the players in football condition and shape. Since they are all on campus pretty much year round now I don't see the benefits of 2 sessions of pounding the hell out of each other. As another poster mentioned if they are following Coach Herb's program and doing what he expects then they should be in optimum condition.

The longer 1 session and "walk thru" seem to allow the players bodies to  recover which in turn lowered the risk of various injuries which means we have more hands on deck to start the season.

This

Hogsenburg

Quote from: GolfnHog on September 02, 2015, 12:25:34 pm

Major difference in now and the old days......the sport is nearly year round now which eliminates the need for two a days

Tortfeasor

Many schools either scheduled 1 or 2 two-a-day practices, as they also see the benefit of not using the allotment. Ask programs like TN, who marketed the fact that they still go through most if not all the allowed two-a-days, how their players are holding up. 18 players sitting out of a practice due to injuries sounds like a lot to me. The risks associated with those extra hits are not warranted.

Our players come into fall practice in great shape due to off season conditioning. Years ago players would show up for fall camp  overweight and out of shape and needed two-a-days to get in game shape. That's not needed now.

Calling All Hogs

I am fine with doing away with two-a-days. I'm sure if we starting having a lot of turnovers, Hogville's panel of self proclaimed experts will enlighten us further on the topic.

jm

With spring practice and summer workouts, two a days are not necessary.

Etowah

The old idea of two a days is pretty much a thing of the past at every level.

Most football teams...high school through NFL are really not doing two a days any longer.

nchogg

If the players are doing what the coaches want and how the coaches want them to do it there is no need for 2 a days and as Coach B said he wants to keep him team fresher when sec play starts.