Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DEPTH CHART

Started by Uncommon, August 31, 2015, 10:46:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jdelo77

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: azhog10 on September 01, 2015, 09:03:10 am
Remember all the talks to OT for Krauss? He's at 235.........

Stop it.  You know the fans are the smart ones, not the coaching staff.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 01, 2015, 09:35:47 am
Best news is that Josh Williams earned the middle linebacker job by improving his athletic ability and practice performance. They also feel Khalia Hackett is a solid starter at strongside linebacker, more comfortable there. Both played those positions last season. Williams upped his game and showed he could handle the MLB role.

IMO this is probably the best news to come out of fall camp.  Add to that the progress of Josh Harris, and the surprise Dre Greenlaw has brought, and I'm feeling much better about our LB corp.

I believe our defense is going to be very stout, even better than last fall.

Man, I absolutely love how this staff develops players.  Freaking awesome!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Uncommon

September 01, 2015, 11:04:14 am #103 Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 11:35:35 am by Uncommon
Quote from: jdelo77 on September 01, 2015, 09:49:08 am
Who redshirts ?
I'm thinking the following players have good chances of redshirting:
1 Senior
RB Jonathan Williams

2 Sophomores
FB Anthony Brown
WR Kendrick Edwards

18/23 Freshmen
DL Jamario Bell
FB/TE Austin Cantrell !
DB Nate Dalton
DL Daytrieon Dean
TE Will Gragg
LB Derrick Graham
OL Colton Jackson
FB Kendrick Jackson @
P Blake Johnson
OL Jalen Merrick
TE CJ O'Grady
WR La'Michael Pettway
OL Zach Rogers #
DL TJ Smith
WR Deon Stewart
QB Ty Storey
DB Willie Sykes $
QB Ricky Town

! will not redshirt if they feel like his value as a fullback outweighs the benefits of a redshirt year
@ same as !
# will not redshirt if injuries arise at center
$ will not redshirt if injuries arise at defensive back

So I think as many as 17 to 21 will redshirt.

SamBuckhart

I have been a HOG fan since the 60's and cannot remember anticipation this great to see 2nd and third teamers. Wallace, R Williams and Harris are my top three. Wooo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

dsgreen

Quote from: Uncommon on September 01, 2015, 11:04:14 am
I'm thinking the following players have good chances of redshirting:
1 Senior
RB Jonathan Williams

2 Sophomores
FB Anthony Brown
WR Kendrick Edwards

17/23 Freshmen
DL Jamario Bell
FB/TE Austin Cantrell !
DB Nate Dalton
DL Daytrieon Dean
TE Will Gragg
LB Derrick Graham
OL Colton Jackson
FB Kendrick Jackson @
P Blake Johnson
OL Jalen Merrick
TE CJ O'Grady
WR La'Michael Pettway
OL Zach Rogers #
DL TJ Smith
WR Deon Stewart
QB Ty Storey
DB Willie Sykes $
QB Ricky Town

! will not redshirt if they feel like his value as a fullback outweighs the benefits of a redshirt year
@ same as !
# will not redshirt if injuries arise at center
$ will not redshirt if injuries arise at defensive back

So I think as many as 16 to 20 will redshirt.

While technically Jonathan Williams will earn a redshirt, he has already said he plans on going pro at the end of the year.

Uncommon

Quote from: dsgreen on September 01, 2015, 11:25:20 am
While technically Jonathan Williams will earn a redshirt,
Then I answered the question correctly.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: dsgreen on September 01, 2015, 11:25:20 am
While technically Jonathan Williams will earn a redshirt, he has already said he plans on going pro at the end of the year.

I believe, technically, the fifth (or sixth for medical exemptions in some cases) aren't actually applied for and approved until that time after their fourth year ends.

So, again technically, if he never applies for that redshirt, he'd never actually "earn" it.

swinesation

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 01, 2015, 10:16:59 am
IMO this is probably the best news to come out of fall camp.  Add to that the progress of Josh Harris, and the surprise Dre Greenlaw has brought, and I'm feeling much better about our LB corp.

I believe our defense is going to be very stout, even better than last fall.

Man, I absolutely love how this staff develops players.  Freaking awesome!!

I don't mean to be negative, but to say this defense will be better than last year's, which shut out LSU and Ole Miss and featured NFL prospects Philon, Flowers, and Spaight, seems a tad optimistic to me.

Biggus Piggus

If you don't know this defense is improved by now, you are hard headed.
[CENSORED]!

Hoginsavga

Quote from: jdelo77 on September 01, 2015, 09:49:08 am
Who redshirts ?

Hopefully none that may be needed to win. The best thing for the program is to establish a winning atmosphere.  That brings in new recruits to replenish the turnover created by a winning program. That's my love for college football.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 31, 2015, 12:22:12 pm
This is just from the SEC, not even expanding to the other 100+ teams out there...

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article32797944.html

12 positions on offense and defense

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2015/8/31/9232401/football-press-conference-recap

12 positions on offense

http://maroonreport.com/texas-am-2015-depth-chart/

12 on offense and defense

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=31134

11 on offense, but 12 on defense

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/depth_chart.html

Auburn listed 12 on offense as of the end of last season

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/08/alabama_releases_2015_depth_ch.html

Alabama lists 12 on offense and defense

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2015/08/31/week-1-kentucky-football-depth-chart/71444236/

Kentucky lists 12 on defense

Couldn't find Vandy's or Georgia's week 1 depth charts, Missouri, MSU, ole miss, LSU just have 11

The two teams you listed officially list 12 on either offense or defense.

It doesn't really matter but dude really?  The reason why coaches put out extra positions is to avoid declaring which formation they line up in on their opening play/series. It has nothing to do with a percentage of certain formations. This Hog team is deep enough to declare them all, imo.

bennyl08

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on September 01, 2015, 06:11:18 pm
It doesn't really matter but dude really?  The reason why coaches put out extra positions is to avoid declaring which formation they line up in on their opening play/series. It has nothing to do with a percentage of certain formations. This Hog team is deep enough to declare them all, imo.

You called me a liar and I called you out on it. It isn't some smokescreen, and yes, it does have to do with what the team runs. Why do we list 4 DL players on the depth chart and just 3 LBers? Does that not give away that we are a 4-3 defense and not a 3-4? By your estimation, there should be at least a handful of cases of teams listing 4 of each so as to avoid declaring which defensive style they will use. You will see some teams that list a nickel or a hybrid lb/s 12th position on defense because teams will often switch from a 4-3 to a nickel type defense depending on the opponent. Further, a depth chart doesn't describe your opening play. For example, scroll down to the game by game starters you see below.

http://www.lsusports.net/pdf9/2965516.pdf?ATCLID=209616564&SPSID=28717&SPID=2164&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=5200

Sometimes you see 6 OL, 1 FB and no TE's, other times, 2 TE's 1 FB, and only 1 WR. Teams that rarely ever use two TE's don't put down two TE positions on their depth chart. Alabama has 2 TE's, Ole Miss and Aggies don't. Aggies list 4 WR positions because that is a staple of their offense. Most other teams do not.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: swinesation on September 01, 2015, 05:12:24 pm
I don't mean to be negative, but to say this defense will be better than last year's, which shut out LSU and Ole Miss and featured NFL prospects Philon, Flowers, and Spaight, seems a tad optimistic to me.

I guess you think CBB is a flat out liar then, because he said last year we were a pretty good defense with two really good players up front, and this fall we've got eight really good players up front.

Add to that Robb Smith's post spring comments about our secondary, and, yes, I do believe our D is going to better this fall than last year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: swinesation on September 01, 2015, 05:12:24 pm

This defense has a really good chance to be better "overall" in the front four and in the back four, and even a chance to be better at LB, than it was last year. Instead of having to depend on the superior play of 3 to 4 individuals, the level of play of the entire defense overall seems to have increased to a higher level, as an entire team. That is why the staff is so confident that this defense has a very good chance of being better as a unit, than we were last year. At least, that is the message that I am getting from what they say.
Go Hogs Go!

HateUsAintUs

The great thing I see that I am super excited about it quality DEPTH.  To compete with the big dogs like UGA,  Bama, Auburn, & LSU you have to have DEPTH AND I THINK WE DO AND WILL WIN THE WEST!!

WOOOOO PIGGGG SOOOIE

EL' MAHOG

Any chance we bring JoJo out for SEC play? His TD in the scrimmage being put out there sure pissed the coaches off.
I guess it finally rained, its down to 85, I bet the fish are bitin' down by the riverside

MuskogeeHogFan

September 01, 2015, 07:16:56 pm #118 Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 07:30:07 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: EL' MAHOG on September 01, 2015, 07:08:09 pm
Any chance we bring JoJo out for SEC play? His TD in the scrimmage being put out there sure pissed the coaches off.

Robinson won't play in the first half against UTEP for what Bret Bielema called a summer issue.

First half only of the first game. Where did you get the notion he wouldn't play otherwise? And it wasn't his TD that ticked off the staff, it was the morons posting videos, which weren't allowed.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-players-suspended-week-1-games/
Go Hogs Go!

Biggus Piggus

Last year's defense was good against ideal matchups. This one is much more complete.
[CENSORED]!