Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Thanks to the West Texas Town of El Paso, We will Learn Lots

Started by Robert Shields, August 31, 2015, 10:40:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 01, 2015, 01:17:34 pm
The ceremonial first rewrite of the season.

Thanks to the West Texas Town of El Paso, We Will Learn Lots as the Season Unfurls

Biggus F. Piggus, CFA

Arkansas once had a habit of playing the Tulsa Golden Hurricane. Compiled an alltime record of 53-15-2. Falling in the "15" or "2" constituted a monumentally bad season.

Arkansas did not always open against Tulsa, but the Razorbacks played the Golden Hurricane almost every season from 1933 until 1990 -- usually in September, often as the opener.

Casey Dick's best game, 385 yards passing, was in 2008 when a bad Arkansas team was still able to beat 11-win Tulsa. And Gus Malzahn. Even under John L. Smith, the Hogs had enough to defeat an 11-win Tulsa team in 2012. That was the last game vs. TU. Might be the last ever. Losing to John L. Smith ought to be grounds for shutting down football.

This week Arkansas plays UTEP, which has nothing to do with Tulsa. UTEP is in Conference USA. Mascot = Miners. As in gold miners. But mining of non-precious metals was THE industry in El Paso for a long time. El Paso was the site of the primary smelter for Asarco, which built the Guggenheim fortune. After 20 years of complaints from citizens, the city and state sued Asarco in 1972 over lead contamination from the smelter, which in general was polluting the city and was a major eyesore. About 80% of the pollution fell on Juarez, Mexico, which didn't matter to Americans for most of the plant's history.

Lead poisoning studies of El Paso children by the CDC were so influential, the federal government banned lead as a gasoline additive.

Asarco eventually installed exhaust scrubbers and shut down its lead, cadmium and zinc plants. The copper smelter operated until 1999. Asarco filed bankruptcy to dodge its environmental cleanup obligations. Later, it was revealed that Asarco illegally incinerated hazardous waste in the El Paso smelter.

Apparently, Texas-El Paso still has college-caliber students despite lead contamination.

Across the river from El Paso is Juarez, site of not just Asarco poisons. It was the home of X-Rock 80, the super-power AM radio station that topped Arbitron radio ratings in the 1970s. AM 800.

UTEP football is coached by Sean Kugler, 49. Played at UTEP, was an assistant coach from 1993-2000. Then coached tight ends and Oline for the Detroit Lions. Then spent a year at Boise. And coached Oline for the Buffalo Bills and Pittsburgh Steelers. Finally got the UTEP job. Career record 9-13 -- progression, 2-10, 7-6. Not bad.

UTEP should be a good measuring stick for the Razorbacks. The Miners return a 1,300-yard rusher and a defense with a solid pass rush. They understand power football. Any sign of the Razorbacks not taking the opponent seriously should be instantly visible.

If Arkansas is destined to have a great 2015 football season, the following should happen:

1) Brandon Allen should complete a high percentage of his passes, for well over 8 yards per attempt. Arkansas has been working hard to improve the efficiency of the passing game, the ability of receivers to gain yards after the catch, and the frequency of big plays. If they do not happen against UTEP, they probably won't happen much this season. Not that UTEP is a pushover, but the schedule is that difficult.

2) Alex Collins and another running back should gain more than 100 yards, without losing fumbles. The Hogs need to establish more than the run. They need big plays, and they need to kill the turnovers that plagued runners the past two seasons. Without J-Will, Arkansas has to re-establish its rushing rotation.

3) Tight ends should be more than a fleeting threat in the passing game. Arkansas did not score much with its tight ends in the past two seasons, despite the offense's obvious featuring of them. Hunter Henry and Jeremy Sprinkle should be scoring threats.

4) Keon Hatcher must show the ability to be a No.1 receiver. He should be at the top of his game now. Hatcher is Arkansas's best hope of having a featured wide receiver on par with the rest of the SEC. Hatcher has to make the big plays he bobbled before.

5) Some kind of separation needs to begin appearing among the other receivers. This offense won't provide meaningful chances for more than four wideouts. Will anybody earn A-list status alongside Hatcher? Will Jared Cornelius show any big-play threat after averaging less than 12 yards per catch in 2014? Is Drew Morgan a real playmaker? Can Dominique Reed handle a few hits and be a deep threat? Anyone else?

6) Arkansas must demonstrate that it takes special teams more seriously than it appeared in the past two seasons. Last year, the Hogs excelled at punt return defense. Kickoff return defense was horrible, ranking toward the bottom of the NCAA. Punt and kickoff returns were decent. Placekicking was poor. Great teams don't mess up any aspect of special teams.

7) The coaches have boasted all summer about the depth building on defense, especially the front four and secondary. The Hogs must demonstrate the ability to use that depth while maintaining effective communication and avoiding busts. If the depth is usable, Arkansas should wear down an opponent like UTEP.

8) Arkansas reshuffled its starting linebackers on the eve of game week. Last year, starting linebackers made one-quarter of the team's unassisted tackles. UTEP's solid running game should test the starting unit. If Ellis-Williams-Hackett are productive, it would answer a lot of questions about the state of the run defense.

9) The offensive line must prove it can deal with a gap-shooting defense that will try to use the linemen's bulk against them. In particular, left tackle Denver Kirkland will be tested right away. If Kirkland shows any issues, he will be under attack for the entire season.

10) Arkansas has settled on what appears to be a well-balanced rotation in the secondary. Everybody has added strength and improved speed and quickness. The group seems to have improved its mastery of press man coverage techniques. Biggest question is whether the secondary will display any bias in its skills -- whether it loses anything, say, in run support. Again, UTEP will test that right away.

11) This is as much for opponents as it is for fans, but Arkansas supporters want to see something change for the better in the first game for Dan Enos as offensive coordinator. Any change might be hard to pin down, but one would like to see more consistency and fewer oddball moments. If the Hogs simply do what they do with more success, that would be better than a bunch of "Reggie Fish hiding behind a big fat butt" plays, right?

12) Lastly, Sebastian Tretola must throw a touchdown pass, if he has a prayer of keeping his Heisman campaign alive.

Great Job! I Did Read.

scruf

zane

RIP LSUfan

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 01, 2015, 01:17:34 pm
The ceremonial first rewrite of the season.

Thanks to the West Texas Town of El Paso, We Will Learn Lots as the Season Unfurls

Biggus F. Piggus, CFA

Arkansas once had a habit of playing the Tulsa Golden Hurricane. Compiled an alltime record of 53-15-2. Falling in the "15" or "2" constituted a monumentally bad season.

Arkansas did not always open against Tulsa, but the Razorbacks played the Golden Hurricane almost every season from 1933 until 1990 -- usually in September, often as the opener.

Casey Dick's best game, 385 yards passing, was in 2008 when a bad Arkansas team was still able to beat 11-win Tulsa. And Gus Malzahn. Even under John L. Smith, the Hogs had enough to defeat an 11-win Tulsa team in 2012. That was the last game vs. TU. Might be the last ever. Losing to John L. Smith ought to be grounds for shutting down football.

This week Arkansas plays UTEP, which has nothing to do with Tulsa. UTEP is in Conference USA. Mascot = Miners. As in gold miners. But mining of non-precious metals was THE industry in El Paso for a long time. El Paso was the site of the primary smelter for Asarco, which built the Guggenheim fortune. After 20 years of complaints from citizens, the city and state sued Asarco in 1972 over lead contamination from the smelter, which in general was polluting the city and was a major eyesore. About 80% of the pollution fell on Juarez, Mexico, which didn't matter to Americans for most of the plant's history.

Lead poisoning studies of El Paso children by the CDC were so influential, the federal government banned lead as a gasoline additive.

Asarco eventually installed exhaust scrubbers and shut down its lead, cadmium and zinc plants. The copper smelter operated until 1999. Asarco filed bankruptcy to dodge its environmental cleanup obligations. Later, it was revealed that Asarco illegally incinerated hazardous waste in the El Paso smelter.

Apparently, Texas-El Paso still has college-caliber students despite lead contamination.

Across the river from El Paso is Juarez, site of not just Asarco poisons. It was the home of X-Rock 80, the super-power AM radio station that topped Arbitron radio ratings in the 1970s. AM 800.

UTEP football is coached by Sean Kugler, 49. Played at UTEP, was an assistant coach from 1993-2000. Then coached tight ends and Oline for the Detroit Lions. Then spent a year at Boise. And coached Oline for the Buffalo Bills and Pittsburgh Steelers. Finally got the UTEP job. Career record 9-13 -- progression, 2-10, 7-6. Not bad.

UTEP should be a good measuring stick for the Razorbacks. The Miners return a 1,300-yard rusher and a defense with a solid pass rush. They understand power football. Any sign of the Razorbacks not taking the opponent seriously should be instantly visible.

If Arkansas is destined to have a great 2015 football season, the following should happen:

1) Brandon Allen should complete a high percentage of his passes, for well over 8 yards per attempt. Arkansas has been working hard to improve the efficiency of the passing game, the ability of receivers to gain yards after the catch, and the frequency of big plays. If they do not happen against UTEP, they probably won't happen much this season. Not that UTEP is a pushover, but the schedule is that difficult.

2) Alex Collins and another running back should gain more than 100 yards, without losing fumbles. The Hogs need to establish more than the run. They need big plays, and they need to kill the turnovers that plagued runners the past two seasons. Without J-Will, Arkansas has to re-establish its rushing rotation.

3) Tight ends should be more than a fleeting threat in the passing game. Arkansas did not score much with its tight ends in the past two seasons, despite the offense's obvious featuring of them. Hunter Henry and Jeremy Sprinkle should be scoring threats.

4) Keon Hatcher must show the ability to be a No.1 receiver. He should be at the top of his game now. Hatcher is Arkansas's best hope of having a featured wide receiver on par with the rest of the SEC. Hatcher has to make the big plays he bobbled before.

5) Some kind of separation needs to begin appearing among the other receivers. This offense won't provide meaningful chances for more than four wideouts. Will anybody earn A-list status alongside Hatcher? Will Jared Cornelius show any big-play threat after averaging less than 12 yards per catch in 2014? Is Drew Morgan a real playmaker? Can Dominique Reed handle a few hits and be a deep threat? Anyone else?

6) Arkansas must demonstrate that it takes special teams more seriously than it appeared in the past two seasons. Last year, the Hogs excelled at punt return defense. Kickoff return defense was horrible, ranking toward the bottom of the NCAA. Punt and kickoff returns were decent. Placekicking was poor. Great teams don't mess up any aspect of special teams.

7) The coaches have boasted all summer about the depth building on defense, especially the front four and secondary. The Hogs must demonstrate the ability to use that depth while maintaining effective communication and avoiding busts. If the depth is usable, Arkansas should wear down an opponent like UTEP.

8) Arkansas reshuffled its starting linebackers on the eve of game week. Last year, starting linebackers made one-quarter of the team's unassisted tackles. UTEP's solid running game should test the starting unit. If Ellis-Williams-Hackett are productive, it would answer a lot of questions about the state of the run defense.

9) The offensive line must prove it can deal with a gap-shooting defense that will try to use the linemen's bulk against them. In particular, left tackle Denver Kirkland will be tested right away. If Kirkland shows any issues, he will be under attack for the entire season.

10) Arkansas has settled on what appears to be a well-balanced rotation in the secondary. Everybody has added strength and improved speed and quickness. The group seems to have improved its mastery of press man coverage techniques. Biggest question is whether the secondary will display any bias in its skills -- whether it loses anything, say, in run support. Again, UTEP will test that right away.

11) This is as much for opponents as it is for fans, but Arkansas supporters want to see something change for the better in the first game for Dan Enos as offensive coordinator. Any change might be hard to pin down, but one would like to see more consistency and fewer oddball moments. If the Hogs simply do what they do with more success, that would be better than a bunch of "Reggie Fish hiding behind a big fat butt" plays, right?

12) Lastly, Sebastian Tretola must throw a touchdown pass, if he has a prayer of keeping his Heisman campaign alive.

Nice effort to decode Shields, but:

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

LZH

LZH

Nothing wrong whatsoever with his post.  If you or I had posted it, we'd all be talking about the content as opposed to who wrote it.  Tell me I'm wrong.

LSUFan

Quote from: LZH on September 01, 2015, 06:12:25 pm
Nothing wrong whatsoever with his post.  If you or I had posted it, we'd all be talking about the content as opposed to who wrote it.  Tell me I'm wrong.
Well, when you crap in the yard 364 days a year, are you supposed to get a trophy for 1 day you don't?
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

LZH

Quote from: LSUFan on September 01, 2015, 06:14:07 pm
Well, when you crap in the yard 364 days a year, are you supposed to get a trophy for 1 day you don't?

How many national championships does Arkansas have?....football or basketball.  They're both still talked about til this day - but we got a trophy for them.

Btw - that gal in your avatar......tell her I swear to God the check won't bounce next time........................

LSUFan

Quote from: LZH on September 01, 2015, 06:18:10 pm
How many national championships does Arkansas have?....football or basketball.  They're both still talked about til this day - but we got a trophy for them.

Btw - that gal in your avatar......tell her I swear to God the check won't bounce next time........................
She takes food stamps, dawg  8)
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

hog.goblin

You're wrong

PonderinHog

I wouldn't know.  I didn't read it.  Biggus's reply was damn good, though, and the gifs are outstanding.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Doug on August 31, 2015, 12:07:39 pm
Since no one's asked it yet... Who the hell is Robert Shields?

And now, the stuff you're REALLY here to see...

The end result of a typical Robert Shields post poast...

Look at all the people a Robert Shields post hits!

Thank you. It had to be said!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi