Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ash, Shannon and Smith...

Started by ArkansasI, January 06, 2015, 12:48:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasI

Without knowing these men, I find it difficult to determine the value of assistant coaches and am surprised at the response many fans have concerning staff changes.  I think it unwise to fret much about replacing an assistant coach.  While turnover may not always sound like a good thing, some change may be necessary to continue forward.

Chris Ash and the Buckeyes are in the National Championship game.  Since Chris is a co-coordinator in Columbus, I don't know what role he has played in getting Ohio State to this point in the season.  Whatever the case, he deserves some credit for being part of the game being played next Monday night.

Yet, I was glad to see Chris leave Fayetteville.  I thought that there was no way that the Hogs could perform any worse on defense than we did under Chris's guidance.  In hindsight - given Ohio State's season - my opinion may have been unfair.

Were the Hogs simply unable to pick up what Chris was asking them to do?  Or was Chris's plan beginning to work?  It was clear by the end of the 2013 season that the team was on the rise.  Was 2014 just a natural progression from the end of 2013?  Or has Robb Smith made that much difference in our program?

What credit does Randy Shannon deserve for the year to year improvement?  I recall this time last year that many of us were demanding that Randy be named our new Defensive Coordinator.  Apparently, this title would have reduced the money Randy was receiving from Miami following his dismissal.

I wonder if Randy was the person who said it made no sense to make him Defensive Coordinator, or if Bret needed the title and compensation package to bring in a better guy (Robb Smith).  If it was Randy's idea, perhaps he was collecting his 2014 checks from Miami and Arkansas with the knowledge that maintaining his title would make it easier for him to move this year.

Too much conspiracy?  I agree.  Whatever the case, I'm glad that a coach that doesn't want to remain in Fayetteville is moving on.  We could use another guy that is hungry.