Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: State braced for Battle over the Cowbells

Started by jbcarol, May 31, 2010, 10:02:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sed76

At the game last year I saw police take several cowbells away from State fans. First time I have ever seen it enforced.

AuburnHog

Auburn fans actually tried to do this a few weeks ago.  There was a small Facebook and Twitter movement promoting it.  Didn't work out so well for them....

razorcash2

Quote from: BRHogfan on October 30, 2014, 09:35:53 am
guys the Hog Call can be just like Cowbells... Let's do it when they get to 3rd down...
Properly called please.

Who is teaching these young Hog fans the Aaooooo part? It sounds so stupid.

WarPig88

Quote from: RedRock on October 30, 2014, 08:28:17 am
The NCAA allows MSU fans to use cowbells.  I say we use cowbells during the MSU game too.  Let's give it right back to them. 

I've got a feva for more cowbell.

I grew up during the SWC days. Back then the Longhorns had those annoying cowbells.

I will always hate them and would never in a million years stoop to using one.

:puke:

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: Bebop on October 30, 2014, 11:49:43 am
Mating call for their women.

WTH are you talking about ?

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

WarPig88

Obviously photo shopped to say Miss. St.

The top pic is of MISSOURI STATE girls.

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 30, 2014, 12:43:53 pm

WOW I am a FREAKING IDIOT

OTTER

The continual clacking of the copper clappers of the clod rung cowbells irritates the heck outta me.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 30, 2014, 12:43:53 pm

OK is this better

[attachment deleted by admin]

PonderinHog

HogScoutMaster

WarPig88

Hogsmo Kramer

I say we all use miniature Chinese gongs and just bang the Holy hell out of them the whole time their O is on the field.

Would be rearry rearry funny!
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: HogScoutMaster on October 30, 2014, 12:48:37 pm
Go to Sleep
What can I say?  It's on sure rare occasion that I can honestly agree with you.   ;D

WarPig88

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on October 30, 2014, 12:50:36 pm
I say we all use miniature Chinese gongs and just bang the Holy hell out of them the whole time their O is on the field.

Would be rearry rearry funny!

This would be hirarious!

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 30, 2014, 12:51:28 pm
What can I say?  It's on sure rare occasion that I can honestly agree with you.   ;D

quick glance and it looks like MSU !  I just didnt pay FULL enough attention.

But I made up, right ?

RedRock

Idea!  How about 70k whistles?

Grag T

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

ShadowTheHedgehog

Just find something more annoying than cowbells, like Vuvuzelas.

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on October 30, 2014, 03:38:47 pm
Just find something more annoying than cowbells, like Vuvuzelas.

I agree---there is an APP

AugustaHog

I wanted to get this in before the game so I don't risk coming across as whiny or making excuses.  I don't understand why a blind eye is turned to MSU's use of artificial noisemakers.  If we were to pass out 70,000 thunder sticks, how fast would we be fined?  Or tit for tat, why not pass out a crap ton of cow bells when we play MSU at home next yr?  What are they going to say about it? 

razorbackkid

It is a great tradition and I have no problem with it.  The ringing of the cow bells will not influence the outcome of the game.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

rusvegashog

Tradition or not the op brings up a legit point and I'm uninformed as usual. Why is it allowed? Thunder sticks are against the rules?

PonderinHog

Quote from: rusvegashog on November 01, 2014, 11:17:52 am
Tradition or not the op brings up a legit point and I'm uninformed as usual. Why is it allowed?
Every time someone objects they start ringing those damn bells and the PTB's can't hear them.

rusvegashog

razorbackkid

Quote from: rusvegashog on November 01, 2014, 11:17:52 am
Tradition or not the op brings up a legit point and I'm uninformed as usual. Why is it allowed? Thunder sticks are against the rules?

The standard and accepted answer is.......Just Because.  :)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

McKdaddy

Quote from: razorbackkid on November 01, 2014, 11:13:15 am
It is a great tradition and I have no problem with it.  The ringing of the cow bells will not influence the outcome of the game.

I admire that tradition.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

PonderinHog

rusvegashog

Powers that be. Gotcha.

arkansaspanic

At one point they were banned but they brought them anyway, so eventually that was lifted. For the most part msu fans are pretty respectful with the use. They don't ring them nearly as much as they could. Most fans seem to hold off until the play is over.

rusvegashog

I'm willing to bet if State was traditionally better and not the bottom feeder they've been folks would have a bigger problem w the cow bell. Just saying not hating IMO. I'm all for tradition, I mean I put my pants on one leg at a time like everyone else the only difference is when I do it I make gold post.

hobhog

Can we start the tradition of using airhorns? And only against MSU.

Artificial noisemakers ahould be banned, period. Just like Vandys basketball court.

RedBird5

Quote from: rusvegashog on November 01, 2014, 11:30:29 am
I'm willing to bet if State was traditionally better and not the bottom feeder they've been folks would have a bigger problem w the cow bell. Just saying not hating IMO. I'm all for tradition, I mean I put my pants on one leg at a time like everyone else the only difference is when I do it I make gold post.

+1  really explore the space

PonderinHog

I think a compromise is in order.  We ban the howlin' hog call and they ban their cowbells.

hogblitz

Mississippi State is the ONLY school in the SEC that is permitted to use artificial noisemakers inside the stadium.  That is not fair and its pretty black and white why that is!  However, many love to spin things.  Like is already going on in this thread. 

razorbackkid

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 01, 2014, 12:05:49 pm
I think a compromise is in order.  We ban the howlin' hog call and they ban their cowbells.
Maybe they could just cover the outside of their cowbells with artificial Hog snouts.

Smokehouse

At one point weren't they just voluntarily paying fines to keep the cowbells going?

I know now the other SEC ADs agreed to a compromise on the cowbells - State fans aren't allowed to ring the cowbells when the opposing team's center is over the ball, but otherwise can use them. The university has been trying to crack down on fans who have been using them when they're not supposed to.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Smokehouse on November 01, 2014, 12:17:39 pm
At one point weren't they just voluntarily paying fines to keep the cowbells going?

I know now the other SEC ADs agreed to a compromise on the cowbells - State fans aren't allowed to ring the cowbells when the opposing team's center is over the ball, but otherwise can use them. The university has been trying to crack down on fans who have been using them when they're not supposed to.
IIRC.....you are correct.

SteveInArk

The cowbells are allowed for the same reason we have crappy/corrupt officiating in the league.  The SEC leadership just doesn't care ...

And the school presidents don't protest?  Maybe in fear of killing the cash cow. Who knows.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

willyacs

If you were in the Razorback section Saturday it may not have been too bad, but if you were in the regular crowd I think you would agree they should be banned. It was bad enough that I will never go back. Some may not care but thats at least a thousand bucks out of their community. I'm suresome small business would love to continue. Sad people have to be so childish.

Torqued pork

The SEC won't care until the cowbell can be blamed for a loss by an elite SEC program such as Bama.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 02, 2014, 01:56:04 pm
The SEC won't care until the cowbell can be blamed for a loss by an elite SEC program such as Bama.

The SEC has already voted to allow the cowbells.

The other ADs agreed to allow cowbells along with some stipulations. But those stipulations have been widely ignored by the MSU fans so maybe they'll reconsider the motion.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

TNRazorbacker

I was In a sea of maroon and actually impressed by the discipline of the crowd on using the cowbells. When the "no bells just yells" hits the jumbotron the cowbells stop almost instantly. Yes they are loud but nothing a 50 cent pair of earplugs didnt remedy.

Lots of nice people there too. Still humble and appreciative of their fortune thus far. I wouldnt mind seeing State take it the whole way this year. The Hogs obviously arent in the running and would be a welcome departure from the typical.

MissippHog

Quote from: willyacs on November 02, 2014, 01:48:28 pm
If you were in the Razorback section Saturday it may not have been too bad, but if you were in the regular crowd I think you would agree they should be banned. It was bad enough that I will never go back. Some may not care but thats at least a thousand bucks out of their community. I'm suresome small business would love to continue. Sad people have to be so childish.
It used to be worse.  They used to ring those things all game long.  At least now most of them stop ringing when the opposing team comes to the LOS.

bphi11ips

Agreed, unless all other teams can use them or something similar.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

willyacs

I'm not so sure that it bothers the teams but makes for a horrible fan experience. Besides, it's really stupid.

TNRazorbacker

How many college traditions aren't stupid?? We whistle 3 times and do a pig chant for god sake?  The ridiculousness is why we love them. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: willyacs on November 02, 2014, 01:48:28 pm

I was on the front row right next to the MSU band... It was not bad. The crowd was just as loud w/out them...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

The vuvuzela of the college football world.  If it's their tradition and the team and coaches are ok with it, so be it, just don't want them at arkansas.

ballz2thewall

gentlemen, you're very late to the cowbell issue.

bear bryant fought this years ago.  there were some changes made, but its been the way it is for quite some time.  i doubt that it changes in the near future. 
The rest of the frog.