Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: State braced for Battle over the Cowbells

Started by jbcarol, May 31, 2010, 10:02:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razrken

Its a tradition kind of like playing games in Little Rock...

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: razrken on December 31, 2011, 08:25:12 am
Its a tradition kind of like playing games in Little Rock...
or GUV speaking like it's factual...

PP

elviscat

It's time to teach those cow dung how to really be obnoxious. Fire up the Razorback air horns and blow them every time they are on offense. Then pay
the fine and force the SEC to ban all noise making devices. It is wrong from them to have cowbells. What do the cowbells have to do with the bulldogs?

98hogs

Quote from: PHill94 on December 30, 2011, 09:06:18 pm
moo state is going off with those things every time wake is on offense. Absolute bs. I'm not against state but what is stopping me from hauling in an air horn to dallas and going to town with that thing? They tried to make exception for them and it didn't work. Time for the SEC to grow a sack and ban it.
It's kept because it's a Mississippi State women mating call

Ftsmithmike

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 31, 2011, 08:02:21 am
Our oldest daughter goes to MSU and she doesn't like the cowbells, but she says most people take them and ring them because, well, it's tradition and that's what you're supposed to do.  She says most of her friends feel the same way.

I guess if you're MSU, you have to have a gimmick, something to be known for besides being a second level school out in the middle of nowhere.  Hence, the cowbell.

Also, regarding the announcements that are made before the game reminding the fans that it is against the rules to ring the cowbell during plays?  It's done in such a way that it actually incites the crowd and I'm sure that is the intent.  They use the audio of Christopher Walken (love that guy!) on SNL doing his "I need more cowbell" routine and the crowd goes wild.  So no, they're not trying very hard to get the cowbell ringing under control.

I think the issue at hand is resolved and we will now move to chastise you for sending the friut of your loins to Mississippi for an education. You do realize she might actually graduate and have to go around the rest of her life with that degree on her resume right? And worse what if she married a man from there?

WTHIWWU?
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

OTTER

The cowbells are a necessary item at Miss State.  It's the only way Miss State male fans can find their womens!  They just listen for the clank of the bell and go round 'em up.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

whirlwind

One of the biggest reasons to ban the cow bells is the fact that they make a good weapon.  I remember in the late 60's when Memphis State went to Starkville and a fight broke out, several Tiger fans were hit in the face with bells and had ugly U's in the face.  I say the SEC should ban them or charge each fan $50,000 for each bell that is brought into the stadium.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on December 31, 2011, 03:54:12 pm
I think the issue at hand is resolved and we will now move to chastise you for sending the friut of your loins to Mississippi for an education. You do realize she might actually graduate and have to go around the rest of her life with that degree on her resume right? And worse what if she married a man from there?

WTHIWWU?

My apologies to the board.   1. She got a full ride there so we're not paying.   2.  We live in Memphis and about half the kids from her high school go to MSU for some reason, so she had lots of friends going there with her.   3.  Her boyfriend goes there.  But there's hope for our youngest.  She's got UA no. 1 on her list right now.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

nosferatu

Quote from: whirlwind on December 31, 2011, 07:02:32 pm
I say the SEC should ban them or charge each fan $50,000 for each bell that is brought into the stadium.

Oh good lord
"When you're on the mound and you feel like you can murder someone's soul out there, failure isn't an option." - Brian Wilson

stan the man

I've never been to a MS State game to hear cow bells but have been to high school games and sat close to people ringing them and it is highly obnoxious  I hate them as much as hearing a bunch of barking dogs in the middle of the night while I am trying to sleep.  That goes on in my neighborhood on a regular basis

scootman

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 31, 2011, 07:19:12 pm
My apologies to the board.   1. She got a full ride there so we're not paying.   2.  We live in Memphis and about half the kids from her high school go to MSU for some reason, so she had lots of friends going there with her.   3.  Her boyfriend goes there.  But there's hope for our youngest.  She's got UA no. 1 on her list right now.

Let us know where your youngest ends up. Judgement will be reserved until that time.

:)
A new era in Razorback Football has arrived!

Rzbakfromwaybak

January 01, 2012, 11:24:51 pm #361 Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:37:59 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: razorback3072 on December 30, 2011, 09:54:04 pm
Bowl Games are different.  The SEC has rules against artificial noise makers but MSU gets a special pass.  However, there are a lot of bowl games that pass out "noisemakers".  Those inflated bats are the first that come to mind.

Whoever heard of a "conference rule".......that one team was given a pass & the other teams had to follow the rule......yep, this sure sounds fair all right....

They are not following the agreement that prohibits them from ringing them when the other team has the ball.........that is an unfair advantage, whether Miss St. has a good team or a bad team. 

What's next......"15 yd pass interference penalties won't be called on team X...because they don't have a good secondary" ??

Or maybe the SEC will not enforce recruitment violations on certain schools, because they have a  ........"tradition of cheating during recruiting"......

Either enforce this rule on everyone, or let each school do it.  How would Miss St. like it if every school they played away from home.........fans started playing noisemakers real loud every time the Bulldogs offense came up to the line of scrimmage....no doubt they would be screaming....."unfair".....& would want it stopped immediately.

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

56Hog

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on January 01, 2012, 11:24:51 pm
Whoever heard of a "conference rule".......that one team was given a pass & the other teams had to follow the rule......yep, this sure sounds fair all right....

They are not following the agreement that prohibits them from ringing them when the other team has the ball.........that is an unfair advantage, whether Miss St. has a good team or a bad team. 

What's next......"15 yd pass interference penalties won't be called on team X...because they don't have a good secondary" ??

Or maybe the SEC will not enforce recruitment violations on certain schools, because they have a  ........"tradition of cheating during recruiting"......

Either enforce this rule on everyone, or let each school do it.  How would Miss St. like it if every school they played away from home.........fans started playing noisemakers real loud every time the Bulldogs offense came up to the line of scrimmage....no doubt they would be screaming....."unfair".....& would want it stopped immediately.

The rule is unenforcable for obvious reasons.

The rule against artificial noismakers cannot be removed for obvious reasons.

The competitive advantage gained is that the opposing offense cannot call out signals in all the clatter.

The remedy, allow the opposing offense to call an uncharged TO any time the opposing coach determines his team cannot hear signals.  Of course the MSU crowd reaction is predictable...make more noise.  If the offense has to call a subsequent time out in the same possession then penalize the MSU defense for delay of game.  3rd violation will result in a 15 yard personal foul call against the MSU defensive captain.  4th violation...ejection of the MSU coach...5th would result in an MSU forfeit.

Takes all the decision making responsibility off the refs and we would soon findd out how much herd control the MSU admin can really exercise.

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Snuff on December 30, 2011, 09:51:39 pm

required gif submitted for all cowbell threads

You know, I went to a BOC concert last August, and the only cowbells were in the crowd, along with "I Need More Cowbell" signs. The band didn't even have one on stage. I thought that a tad odd, but I guess with 50 of them clanging in the crowd, they didn't need one.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on January 02, 2012, 08:08:37 am
You know, I went to a BOC concert last August, and the only cowbells were in the crowd, along with "I Need More Cowbell" signs. The band didn't even have one on stage. I thought that a tad odd, but I guess with 50 of them clanging in the crowd, they didn't need one.

I had no idea BOC was still around.  Wonder how much of it is still the original lineup?

My very first concert was BOC at Barton Coliseum in the mid '70s.  The back up band that night was Rush.  This was just after "Don't Fear the Reaper" for BOC and "2112" for Rush, so both were pretty hot at the time.  The place was packed, and it was back in the pre-Who Stampede days when you could stand in the front and I was about 20 feet from the stage.  Musically, Rush blew BOC away, but BOC had a really cool light show.  Still rate it as one of the best concerts I've ever seen, and without a doubt it was the loudest.  My ears rang for 3 days.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Scubahog

I was at the Music City Bowl and all I can say is thank God, I won't have to hear those cow bell again for another year.

oldhawg

Removing the cowbell from Mississippi State would be like telling Razorback fans they could not call the Hogs. 

Rzbakfromwaybak

January 04, 2012, 04:00:44 am #367 Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:04:34 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: 56Hog on January 02, 2012, 02:09:21 am
The rule is unenforcable for obvious reasons.

The rule against artificial noismakers cannot be removed for obvious reasons.

The competitive advantage gained is that the opposing offense cannot call out signals in all the clatter.

The remedy, allow the opposing offense to call an uncharged TO any time the opposing coach determines his team cannot hear signals.  Of course the MSU crowd reaction is predictable...make more noise.  If the offense has to call a subsequent time out in the same possession then penalize the MSU defense for delay of game.  3rd violation will result in a 15 yard personal foul call against the MSU defensive captain.  4th violation...ejection of the MSU coach...5th would result in an MSU forfeit.

Takes all the decision making responsibility off the refs and we would soon findd out how much herd control the MSU admin can really exercise.

I think all of us are aware of the advantage the noise disrupting the play calling will have on opposing teams, that's the whole purpose.

This rule is enforceable........& your post points to the correct way to go about doing it & the way it should be done.  Don't believe the part about the ejections & forfeit would go over very well........just start out with 5 yd penalty.......second time 10.....then go to 15 yds for each play it happens after that.  Even a 5 yd penalty each time it happened would be enough to get it stopped.

Penalize the team on the field.  The head coach will fix this with the fans/administration after one game.... you can bet your last dollar on it.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

hogdogcrazy

Quote from: oldhawg on January 02, 2012, 12:03:16 pm
Removing the cowbell from Mississippi State would be like telling Razorback fans they could not call the Hogs. 

That might mke some sense if we actually used artificial noise makers to call the hogs.  Our lungs do not count.
Smites are Badges of Honor around this place.

micali

[quote author=Bassplayer link=topic=444816.msg6843915#msg6843915 date=1325341313
We should bring back the old plastic horns we used to use.

So someone else does remember those horns.  I was begining to think I made it up that I used to blow those things at the games.  Everyone else I talk to doesn't remember them.  I was a trumpet player in HS so I could really make those things wail.

jbcarol

Annual Cowbell Update in advance of SEC Spring Meetings

Quote"I hate to speak for anybody," said MSU athletic director Scott Stricklin, "but I've heard very little on the issue. Usually it's when you're hearing something on the issue that it's not good news."

The topic of cowbells will be discussed and the SEC's athletic directors and presidents will vote on whether to extend the legislation allowing MSU fans to bring and ring their noisemakers - during stoppages of play - at home football games another year, but it's no longer on the forefront of MSU's agenda.

Instead, MSU, like most of its SEC brethren, hopes to learn more about the SEC's future as a 14-team league and what will happen to the conference's postseason tournaments.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Pigsknuckles

I guess we will just have to figure out a way to get the cowbell to be considered a weapon.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Jackrabbit Hog

I know I'm in the minority here, but I say let 'em ring their dang cowbells.  Seriously, if that's their thing, what they're known for, their history, let 'em keep them.  Yeah, they're obnoxious, but I'm sure a Hog Call is to our opponents.  If you've got the better team - and we usually do - you'll beat MSU whether they're ringing cowbells or not. 

jbcarol

For anyone going, let us know how well State complies with the SEC ruling.

jbcarol

Per SEC TV network (highly muted audio), sounded like they were well-behaved until the second half.

SteveInArk

Quote from: ScottFaldon on November 18, 2012, 09:38:21 pm
The cowbells are a non-factor. They aren't deafening and not every MSU fan even has one.

Not sure why you would attempt to support their exemption.  The cowbells are officially "noisemakers" and, as such, not allowed at college events.  Except for MSU? ?  Doesn't matter how much of a "non-factor" they are, other teams don't get the same advantage.

Maybe they should just allow other schools to bring in their own "noisemakers" to all Miss State games.  That could level the playing field, maybe?  Like those vuvuzelas from the World Cup crowd.  Since there are much "fewer" opponent fans at Starksville, that could prove fair ... ya' know, like, a non-factor.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

rmcchris

No problem, just start a drive for our fans (and other teams) to bring a cowbell as well. Ring them like hell when they are on offense.  Should not be a problem if they are continued to be able to bring them in and use them, why not everyone else in the same game?

SteveInArk

Quote from: ScottFaldon on November 19, 2012, 02:33:51 pm
Where, exactly, did I support their exemption?

I was merely relating my experience from Saturday.

Good point, if you were only relating your experience at the game.  I interpreted your statement that "the cowbells are a non-factor" as support for letting MSU continue to have them.  I'm now sure you didn't mean that, so thanks for the clarification.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

jbcarol

BMarcello: Gator Bowl will allow MSU fans to bring cowbells into the stadium at EverBank Field in Jacksonville on Jan. 1.

Running back Nick Griffin was his usual jovial self on the sideline, which is amazing to me. Griffin tore the ACL in his right knee in practice Saturday and will undergo surgery Thursday. He hobbled back and forth on the field with a protective cast on his right leg.

I've never seen Griffin sulk in his two years on campus. Remember, he tore the ACL in his left knee in the spring of 2011. The guy never sulks, and shot this message to his followers on Twitter after practice:

"Yall just don't know how much I appreciate all the love and support from everyone. Promise to make it a speedy recovery!"

http://blogs.clarionledger.com/msu/2012/12/12/thoughts-observations-and-video-interviews-from-wednesdays-bowl-practice/

jbcarol

State fans ringing the bells during play until NW hit a couple of consecutive long passes.

SteveInArk

Yeah ....  down to a paltry "ding, ding, ding" with that performance...  ;)

Break & Run

Everyone that's not an MSU fan constantly gripes about the sound of those atrocious cowbells...

Well, no one has ever really thought about a way to stop it...

Since the SEC wants to fine them for every time they're rang outside of the permitted time frames (timeouts, end of quarters, etc...), then us OPPOSING fans need to bring cowbells into the MSU stadium and ring them during live ball play.

If the opposing fans can bring enough and make them loud enough, the SEC will have no choice but to ban the cowbells altogether...

How about doing that?  That sounds like a plan to me!
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

hoghappy

Do I hate the cowbell? does the Pope wear funny hats?

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on May 31, 2010, 10:02:52 am
Noise weary SEC may implement fines

Three years ago State was a hot item on the SEC Spring Meeting agenda.

Now their usage of the cow bell (#RingResponsibly) appears to be off the radar.

A year-by-year increase in attention to other pressing details and apparent acceptance of State's management of the grandfathered artificial noisemaker have left the fine, penalty, or prohibition out of the news.

micali

How does MsST get away with bullcrap!!  I understand traditions but this is adding extra noise while the offense is on the field. 
Will nothing ever get done about it?  I do know DWRRS says that noise makers are not allowed and will be confiscated.  Lets see if we hear any next week in LR. 
I can tell you that if I'm at the game and I hear one near me I'll let someone know.  Boy it just pisses me off when I hear those damn cowbells.
Rant over.

(notOM)Rebel123

Maybe the WMS crowd should all bring cowbells & rattle those things when MSU is on offense?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hoggish1

Being a cow college doesn't excuse such bovine behavior...  :puke:

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 16, 2013, 09:37:03 pm
Being a cow college doesn't excuse such bovine behavior...  :puke:

Excellent. Ha!
Eat more chikin'
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

RAZ FAN

Cowbells have to go. The SEC needs to step up and do something about it. Made all these rules a few yrs ago due to MSU cowbells/artificial noise makers and yet they don't enforce it. I agree opposing teams should bring bull horns etc and see what is done then. It is definitely a unfair  advantage for MSU.

micali

My thoughts exactly.  Why make rules your not going to enforce.  If you let them you let everyone else. 

Bryant Disciple

I don't mind them sneaking in their cowbells, as long as I can sneak in my bourbon.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Bryant Disciple on November 16, 2013, 11:42:21 pm
I don't mind them sneaking in their cowbells, as long as I can sneak in my bourbon.

No kidding. That's just as much a tradition as those cowbells!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HoggusMaximus

MacHog19

I also hate the cowbells and I think the league is absurdly flaccid in its enforcement of the rule against Cowbell College; however, let's recall that MSU is 1-5, 4-6.  It's not as if their redneck noisemakers are helping them win.

micali

Quote from: MacHog19 on November 17, 2013, 08:33:08 am
I also hate the cowbells and I think the league is absurdly flaccid in its enforcement of the rule against Cowbell College; however, let's recall that MSU is 1-5, 4-6.  It's not as if their redneck noisemakers are helping them win.
Thats true but its the thing about making rules and enforcing them.  They sure do it when it comes to on the field.  All the refs have to do is throw a flag and penalize the team and I bet it would stop real quick.

hawg IQ

Quote from: MacHog19 on November 17, 2013, 08:33:08 am
aside from the bells. miss st. line backers and d-line did a good job. also I thought their secondary was very good. don't see the hogs winning this game..being instate helps.
go hogs go !

micali

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 17, 2013, 10:38:05 am
aside from the bells. miss st. line backers and d-line did a good job. also I thought their secondary was very good. don't see the hogs winning this game..being instate helps.
Hey let's keep this thread about noise makers.  There's plenty of threads about how we will get beat Saturday.  ;)