Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Thread - 2018 Edition

Started by jbcarol, March 11, 2018, 10:10:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway
‏ @gatorhoops
23s23 seconds ago

Evans now finds Smith for alley-oop dunk to put Texas Tech up 69-64 and 29.3 seconds left.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

99toLife

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway
‏ @gatorhoops
43s43 seconds ago

Final: Texas Tech 69, Florida 66. Gator season ends at 21-13.

jbcarol

greenEGnHAWGS

What a crazy ending. Missing 2 wide open 3s that could've tied it.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

greenEGnHAWGS

Ha ha...those Texas Tech players did NOT look like they wanted to be singing after the game.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Buff

That was a wild finish.  Florida went for the steal instead of the foul, and got the ball.....just missed the shot.

99toLife

Quote from: Buff on March 17, 2018, 10:11:22 pm
That was a wild finish.  Florida went for the steal instead of the foul, and got the ball.....just missed the shot.

Indeed, that was fun to watch, kind of like a race car out of control fun at the end.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: 99toLife on March 17, 2018, 10:06:35 pm
Florida Loses.   another SEC team gone.

But, a Florida loss in any sport will never bother me.

Houston-Michigan is a good one!
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

PonderinHog

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hoglady

Feel sorry for that kid from Houston - man I was wanting them to beat Michigan.
Hate the Big 10.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

99toLife

BannerMountainMan

A picture is worth a thousand words, the dudes sick..
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

greenEGnHAWGS

jbcarol

Land of 10 Purdue
‏ @Landof10Purdue

NCAA Tournament 2018: How Purdue could benefit from Isaac Haas' injury, at least for 1 game  #Boilermakers

Quote"I think we've got to prep for all of it," said Butler coach LaVall Jordan. "And then make a game-time call as you're in the moment and see what's best. If they do [this], how are you going to counter it?"

When these two teams met in mid-December, Haarms played 27 minutes with Haas in foul trouble. Haarms made a noticeable impact defensively with 4 rebounds and 3 blocks. So if Haarms is Purdue's primary solution to Haas' injury, he at least enters with confidence of having previously played well against Butler.

"I feel like, from a defensive perspective, I wouldn't say we are better [without Haas], but we're a little bit more dynamic because Matt can kind of get out there and guard," Cline said. "Having a guy like Matt being able to clean up and guard the rim is good for us."

There's still a slight chance Haas plays.

Trent Shadid
‏ @Shadid13
16h16 hours ago

Related: I'm covering Purdue today and tomorrow. Arkansas is out, but I'm stuck in Detroit until Monday. So when in Detroit with nothing to do, why not cover Purdue for @landof10.

jbcarol

ESPN Stats & Info
‏Verified account @ESPNStatsInfo

ICYMI:

Houston was on the wrong end of a buzzer-beater in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since this...

jbcarol

ESPN Stats & Info
9h9 hours ago

Rob Gray is the first Houston player with a 20-pt, 10-reb game in the NCAA Tournament since Akeem Olajuwon in the 1984 Elite 8 vs Wake Forest

jbcarol

ESPN Stats & Info
44s44 seconds ago

There have been 4 game-winning shots in the final 10 seconds of this tournament.

There have only been 3 other years since the field expanded in 1985 with more game-winning shots in the first weekend of the tournament.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway
‏ @gatorhoops

Beyond the arc: 3 takeaways from UF's 69-66 loss to Texas Tech http://www.gatorsports.com/2018/03/beyond-the-arc-3-takeaways-from-ufs-69-66-to-texas-tech/ ... via @GatorSports.com

Quote— It was fitting, perhaps, that the season came to an end on a KeVaughn Allen missed shot. It capped a disappointing season for the 6-foot-2 junior, who came into the season as a preseason All-SEC selection but wound up shooting 33 percent from 3-point range and averaging a shade over 11 points per game. Allen went 2 of 11 from the floor, which included missing a driving layup. He did have four assists in filling in for Chris Chiozza at point guard when Chiozza had to sit because of foul trouble, but also had four of UF's 11 turnovers. Allen could have even more point guard responsibilities with Chiozza leaving next season and will need to avoid the kind of loud turnovers that proved costly in UF's loss vs. Tech.

— Though rebounds were even at 39, Florida missed a few chances to secure some key defensive rebounds late, including one with 1:42 left and Texas Tech up 67-64 that allowed the Raiders to burn more clock.

— Some missed free throws for the Gators proved costly down the stretch, including a missed front end of a one-and-one by Egor Koulechov with Florida down 55-50 and 8:17 left. The Gators needed points there to stave off a Texas Tech run. Eventually, the Raiders extended their lead to 58-50 before UF battled back.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway
‏ @gatorhoops
10h10 hours ago

Texas Tech coach Chris Beard, we knew if the game was played in the 80s, start the bus.

Beard said Chiozza in foul trouble was part of the gameplan, "we always try to attack the opponents' best players."

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway
‏ @gatorhoops
9h9 hours ago

White on whether to call timeout after getting steal on in bounds, "I wrestled with it. We had a good offensive lineup out there. Texas Tech is so good defensively. We had two good looks."

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

James Crepea
‏Verified account @JamesCrepea

Auburn in for another battle of guards with Clemson in second round of NCAA Tournament
http://bit.ly/2G5Kn7o

jbcarol

Cheaters:

James Crepea
‏Verified account @JamesCrepea

NCAA: Auburn's Jared Harper was wrong free throw shooter at end of game versus College of Charleston
http://bit.ly/2GBW834

QuoteNCAA issued a statement regarding Jared Harper being the wrong Auburn player to shoot two free throws in the closing seconds of Friday's game against College of Charleston.

After College of Charleston guard Grant Riller's game-tying 3-point attempt fell short, Auburn forward Chuma Okeke caught the ball and was fouled and then passed the ball ahead to Harper, who went on to make the first free throw and purposely missed the second in the 62-58 win.

"The official called the foul, briefly turned his head towards the scorer's table and then turned his head back towards the basket where the foul occurred," according to the NCAA statement. "When he did so, Auburn's Jared Harper was holding the ball because (Okeke) passed it to him just as he grabbed the rebound. The official pointed to Harper, identifying him as the shooter. Had any of the officials been aware of this, or had anyone alerted the officiating crew to the fact that the wrong player was at the foul line, the official would have been able to review the play and determine (Okeke) should have been the shooter."

The only way the official's error would have made a difference to the outcome of the game would have been if Okeke correctly went to the line, missed both free throws, College of Charleston made a game-tying three pointer in the final three seconds and then went on to win in overtime.

All likely in this tournament

jbcarol

Michael Casagrande
‏Verified account @ByCasagrande

How Alabama's season ended with a thud against top-seed Villanova.

QuoteVillanova improved to 32-4 moving on to the Sweet 16 in Boston.

Alabama freshman said the team was confident coming out of the break.

"We told ourselves they weren't going to make shots like that all game," Petty said. "Because I've never seen a team do that. But, I mean, the rim was like an ocean today because they ain't miss."

Sexton said they started rushing on offense when the game started going south. The freshman was Alabama's only double-figure scorer as Villanova locked down a few top threats. Donta Hall, the second-leading scorer this season, took just two shots and scored three points.

Alabama started the game a little shaky on the offensive end. It missed the first four shots before making five of the next seven. The big story was Petty's quiet half. After making six from the perimeter Thursday, the freshman was well off on his only two shots before halftime.

Petty finished 1-for-5 from the perimeter with three points. He said he felt "great" shooting the ball but Villanova always had multiple defenders in his face anytime he got the ball.

"They were denying me," Petty said. "Blocking me when I was one pass away. They tried their best to run me off the line and it kind of affected us a little bit."

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman
‏ @BrentZwerneman
26m26 minutes ago

A year ago, when then-freshman forward Robert Williams closed his eyes and mulled whether to stay at Texas A&M or leave for the NBA, he envisioned today: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/aggies/article/Texas-A-M-hopes-to-end-reign-of-defending-champ-12761660.php ... via @HoustonChron

Quote"This moment," he said. "You couldn't ask for a bigger blessing than to play the defending champs in the second game of the NCAA Tournament."

The seventh-seeded Aggies take on second-seeded North Carolina on Sunday in the Spectrum Center with a berth in the Sweet 16 on the line.

"Back then, I envisioned a sold-out crowd, all lights and cameras on us," Williams said. "Now, we're playing North Carolina in North Carolina."

Williams, who's expected to be a first-round selection in this summer's NBA draft, missed out on the NCAA Tournament last year with an A&M team that barely finished above .500. This year, the Aggies rose to as high as fifth nationally before dropping off and then rebounding to ease into the postseason.
More Information

( 7)Texas A&M vs.

(2) North Carolina

When: 4:15 p.m. today.

Where: Charlotte, N.C.

TV/radio: CBS; 97.5 FM.

They defeated 10th-seeded Providence on Friday and the Tar Heels whipped 15th-seeded Lipscomb to set up A&M and North Carolina's first meeting in the postseason since 1980. That March day in Denton, the Aggies beat the Tar Heels in double overtime to advance to the Sweet 16.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman
‏ @BrentZwerneman
18h18 hours ago

Texas A&M faces North Carolina at 4:15 pm CT Sunday in the Round of 32 in Charlotte. Aggies coach Billy Kennedy: 'It's been a goal of ours all year to get to San Antonio. Not just to eat chips and salsa, but be there to play. We're excited to still be playing.'

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman
‏ @BrentZwerneman
19h19 hours ago

North Carolina coach Roy Williams on scouting Texas A&M: 'They're maybe the biggest team I've ever looked at.'

jbcarol

Allie LaForce
‏Verified account @ALaForce
6m6 minutes ago

Haas will be a game time decision the team confirmed with me. We tip at 12:10 ET on @CBSSports and I'll let you know final decision before that hopefully.

jbcarol

NCAA March Madness
‏Verified account @marchmadness
9h9 hours ago

Swag level 💯

jbcarol

jbcarol

Second Round

SUNDAY

12:10 p.m., CBS: No. 2 Purdue vs. No. 10 Butler (Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel, Allie LaForce)

After conclusion. 1, CBS: No. 3 Michigan State vs. No. 11 Syracuse (Eagle, Spanarkel, LaForce)

5:15 p.m., CBS: No. 2 North Carolina vs. No. 7 Texas A&M (Jim Nantz, Grant Hill, Bill Raftery, Tracy Wolfson)

6:10 p.m., TNT: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada (Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas, Jamie Erdahl)

7:10 p.m., TBS: No. 4 Auburn vs. No. 5 Clemson (Carter Blackburn, Debbie Antonelli, John Schriffen)

approximately 7:45 p.m., truTV: No. 9 Kansas State vs. No. 16 UMBC (Nantz, Hill, Raftery, Wolfson)

approximately  8:40 p.m., TNT: No. 1 Xavier vs. No. 9 Florida State (Catalon, Lappas, Erdahl)

approximately  9:40 p.m., TBS: No. 5 West Virginia vs. No. 13 Marshall (Blackburn, Antonelli, Schriffen)

All times p.m. and Eastern.

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
‏Verified account @JonRothstein
3h3 hours ago

Matt Painter tells me that he does not see Isaac Haas (elbow) playing in today's NCAA Tournament game against Butler.

jbcarol

Not Jerry Tipton
‏ @NotJerryTipton

In case there are any teachers or professors who hold it against students who are absent because they've traveled to the NCAA Tournament.