Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelly

Started by Hawgphat, December 07, 2017, 06:17:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 15, 2017, 09:11:32 pm
I posted numbers in another thread for Morris's numbers during the Clemson years. Yes. The running load is on the TB, and he doesn't rotate them the way Bielema does. He had a 1000 yard feature back every year at Clemson. But Tahj Boyd was a dual threat QB and so was Deshaun Watson. Boyd rushed for almost 1200 yards and 25 TDs in 3 years as the starter. He also threw for almost 12,000 yards in a vertical passing offense that used a lot of play action. Watson was a true freshman and was not the starter for most of his only year with Morris. Much has been made of the fact he ran for only 200 yards that year. He only passed for 1000. He scored 5 rushing TDs.

Morris's offense is based on a QB who is a threat to run. Otherwise the read option at the LOS doesn't work and neither does the vertical game. It is not Mullen's offense, but it is nothing like Kingsbury or Leach's, either. It is closest to Malzahn's and works best with a Newton, or a Marshall or a Boyd or a Watson running it. That is why Morris wants Bohannon. He built his SMU offense around his best QB, and that's what he'll do at Arkansas.  Kelley is probably that guy next year. Look for something like what Snyder did with Klein at K-State.

Look at Clemson's stats for 2011-14 and you'll see what I mean.
May I give you an "AMEN", sir ?  We need Bohanon to run this offense and I guarantee you in year 2 we'll be competitive if not beat Alabama. Remember folks, we did used to beat Bama with regularity before the Little General showed up at Tuscaloosa.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HoggyCat

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on December 15, 2017, 08:37:58 pm
  You guys crack me up.  Ryan Mallett had off the field issues all the way back to high school.  Of course it was all covered up but it was no secret he was known as a thug.  Good luck with converting Kelley to another position.  You saw what happened when Nutt wanted to convert Mallett.

Mallets didn't have the physique to play TE.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

presidenthog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 15, 2017, 06:06:20 pm
I was in south Louisiana during his Sr. year.  I laughed when a media/radio guy from down there called him a thug and that is why LSU wasn't recruiting him.  I laughed in his face.  "Oh, so LSU has standards now?  Like they don't have players arrested almost every year for beating people in or around a bar?"  I was in a group of LSU sympathizers but I couldn't hold back my laughter and my response to how stupid that was.

Anyway, apparently there was a shooting and I believe that Cole was shot.  The media guy told me that Cole still had the bullet in him.  I don't believe that is true.  Somehow this guy made it sound like Cole and two of his buddies were at fault for getting shot at.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/2015/03/19/cole-kelley-testifies-first-fontenot-trial/25019939/

EDIT:  Bullet IS still in Cole Kelley.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/bullet-lodged-in-his-leg-new-arkansas-qb-cole-kelley-still-getting-past-shooting

I asked lsu fans about this. The word on this is Cole and his buddy were breaking into a drug dealers car. Thus why there was someone shooting at them.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 15, 2017, 09:16:32 pm
May I give you an "AMEN", sir ?  We need Bohanon to run this offense and I guarantee you in year 2 we'll be competitive if not beat Alabama. Remember folks, we did used to beat Bama with regularity before the Little General showed up at Tuscaloosa.

I think Bohannon will sign with Arkansas next week. Gut feeling based on timing and Morris fitting him to a T. And the opportunity to be his generation's version of Ryan Mallett and beyond. And if he is a Fitz Hill protege as I saw hinted at here today, Hill may influence him in the direction of Fayetteville for several reasons.

I don't know how Bohannon will do in college. He has the athleticism and body but lacks refined skills. Don't look for a Lamar Jackson or Jalen Hurts sort of freshman year. But talk about a guy with a huge upside. Morris's offense is tailor made for him, and Bohannon is going to get a lot better if he applies himself. Coaching won't be an issue if he goes to Arkansas.

What I do know is that football starts with the QB.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on December 15, 2017, 08:37:58 pm
  You guys crack me up.  Ryan Mallett had off the field issues all the way back to high school.  Of course it was all covered up but it was no secret he was known as a thug.  Good luck with converting Kelley to another position.  You saw what happened when Nutt wanted to convert Mallett.

What does any of this have to do with my post? I simply answered a question of why CK wasn't recruited more heavily. And I sure as heck didn't post he needed to be converted.

I actually posted he can run CCM's scheme. Care to explain your post and how it is related to anything I have posted?

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 15, 2017, 09:11:32 pm
I posted numbers in another thread for Morris's numbers during the Clemson years. Yes. The running load is on the TB, and he doesn't rotate them the way Bielema does. He had a 1000 yard feature back every year at Clemson. But Tahj Boyd was a dual threat QB and so was Deshaun Watson. Boyd rushed for almost 1200 yards and 25 TDs in 3 years as the starter. He also threw for almost 12,000 yards in a vertical passing offense that used a lot of play action. Watson was a true freshman and was not the starter for most of his only year with Morris. Much has been made of the fact he ran for only 200 yards that year. He only passed for 1000. He scored 5 rushing TDs.

Morris's offense is based on a QB who is a threat to run. Otherwise the read option at the LOS doesn't work and neither does the vertical game. It is not Mullen's offense, but it is nothing like Kingsbury or Leach's, either. It is closest to Malzahn's and works best with a Newton, or a Marshall or a Boyd or a Watson running it. That is why Morris wants Bohannon. He built his SMU offense around his best QB, and that's what he'll do at Arkansas.  Kelley is probably that guy next year. Look for something like what Snyder did with Klein at K-State.

Look at Clemson's stats for 2011-14 and you'll see what I mean.

Where did you get your Clemson numbers? This is what I found for the QBs while CCM was the OC:

142 rushes for 218 (1.5 ypc)

186 / 514 / 2.8

154 / 400 / 2.6

69 / 93 / 1.3
63 / 200 / 3.2

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/clemson/2014.html
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

GuvHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 16, 2017, 12:19:47 am
Where did you get your Clemson numbers? This is what I found for the QBs while CCM was the OC:

186 / 514 / 2.8

154 / 400 / 2.6

69 / 93 / 1.3
63 / 200 / 3.2

Very well done. It's also worth noting that when Morris arrived at SMU, the starting QB was a dual threat QB and he replaced him with a pro style passing QB the next year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bphi11ips

186 / 514 / 2.8

154 / 400 / 2.6

69 / 93 / 1.3
63 / 200 / 3.2

You didn't mention who rushed for those yards.  The first three years was all Tahj Boyd.  If you have a QB who throws for 3800 yards and rushs for 400 and 10 TDs you have a QB who is a threat to run.  The 200 for 2014 were all Deshaun Watson when he was a true freshman and was not the full time starter. He was second on the team in passing with 1000 yards.  He rushed for 5 TDs. Extrapolate that to Boyd's passing yards and Watson rushes for 800 yards and 20 rushing TDs.

For some reason people here now think that a dual threat QB produces Nick Fitzgerald numbers.  That's not true.  I said before Morris doesn't run the Mullen Tebow/Prescott/Fitzgerald offense. 

I get that posters here love Cole Kelley.  You can love Kelley and envision a Morris spread adapted to his skill set.  That doesn't mean what Morris built at Clemson is not ideally suited to a QB with Bohannon's skill set.

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 16, 2017, 09:56:56 am
You didn't mention who rushed for those yards.  The first three years was all Tahj Boyd.  If you have a QB who throws for 3800 yards and rushs for 400 and 10 TDs you have a QB who is a threat to run.  The 200 for 2014 were all Deshaun Watson when he was a true freshman and was not the full time starter. He was second on the team in passing with 1000 yards.  He rushed for 5 TDs. Extrapolate that to Boyd's passing yards and Watson rushes for 800 yards and 20 rushing TDs.

For some reason people here now think that a dual threat QB produces Nick Fitzgerald numbers.  That's not true.  I said before Morris doesn't run the Mullen Tebow/Prescott/Fitzgerald offense. 

I get that posters here love Cole Kelley.  You can love Kelley and envision a Morris spread adapted to his skill set.  That doesn't mean what Morris built at Clemson is not ideally suited to a QB with Bohannon's skill set.

Taj Boyd wasn't a true dual threat QB. He was a QB who could get a few yards if he had to but he was an obvious "pass first" QB.
DeShaun Watson was a true dual threat QB because he was more of a "run first" QB who could pass. Deshaun was far more likely to run  than Taj Boyd was. Clemson changed their offense after Morris left adding the run/pass option to take advantage of Deshaun's great ability to run the ball.

As I stated earlier, the fact that Morris inherited a true dual threat QB when he arrived at SMU and later replaced him with a pro style passing QB is very telling.

Ugly Uncle

186 / 514 / 2.8

154 / 400 / 2.6

69 / 93 / 1.3
63 / 200 / 3.2

To bphi's point:

Chitownhawg's stats show that the QB would have rushed over or around 10 times a game.  10 rushes per game is a lot.

Look at the QB's numbers that CTH posted then compare to what our running backs did this year.

David Williams rushed 117 times for 656 yards
Devwah Whaley rushed 127 times for 559 yards

So, Morris' Qb ran more times than our top two backs rushed.

However, you must factor in that
1.  Morris offense will run many more plays than Bret's offense ran.
2.  This was a very down year for Arkansas running backs.

However, I feel like Cole can run this offense. 

Cole started 4 games (played in 8) I believe.

He rushed 53 times for 74 yards.  So he is averaging over 10 carries per start.

One last stat to take into consideration.  Sacks are counted as rushes for a QB.  So, that might inflate rushing attempts for a QB.

All that to say, I think Cole Kelley can and will do just fine in this offense and he is mobile enough that he can keep a defense honest with a zone read play.
Retired Radio Host

bphi11ips

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 16, 2017, 10:41:14 am
To bphi's point:

Chitownhawg's stats show that the QB would have rushed over or around 10 times a game.  10 rushes per game is a lot.

Look at the QB's numbers that CTH posted then compare to what our running backs did this year.

One last stat to take into consideration.  Sacks are counted as rushes for a QB.  So, that might inflate rushing attempts for a QB.

All that to say, I think Cole Kelley can and will do just fine in this offense and he is mobile enough that he can keep a defense honest with a zone read play.

Running is not Kelley's problem.  Whether Morris's offense requires a dual-threat QB is not the question.  Hogville posters in general, not necessarily you, tend to do two things - they favor a QB they like and build an opinion to support him, and they think every coach has a "system". 

What we know is that Morris wants to play at a very fast tempo.  He has said that he will use 5 wide sets, two back sets and one back sets.  I assume we can take him at his word.  At Clemson his QBs ran the football.  They were a threat to run.  Whether they were run first QBs or pass first QBs is meaningless for purposes of this issue. 

Morris has shown that he builds his offense around his best QB's skill set.  Why would he do anything different here?  If Kelley is the best he will be the QB.  Kelley's question marks relate to quickness and accuracy.  He is 6'7".  There's a reason why you don't see a lot of spread QB's his size.  He faces mechanical and physical challenges a shorter QB don't have to deal with. 

We know that Kelley is a tough kid who plays with passion.  We know the team loves him and will follow him.  We know he can be effective in certain down-and-distance situations.  What we don't know is whether he is the best choice to be an every down QB in 2018.  Saying he will do fine in Morris's offense is glossing over the question marks and assumes things about Morris we don't know yet.  One thing is certain - a Cole Kelley led offense will not look like anything Morris has run before that we have seen. That doesn't mean it won't be a great offense.

arslp

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on December 15, 2017, 05:38:15 pm
Yawn...

"Smite's don't bother me.!!"  Then 10 minutes later... "Mom people don't like me!""... "Whaaaaaaa!!!"

I think you're telling a whole lot more about yourself than anyone else. Where do you get the 10 minute later crap? I'm going to let you in on a little secret - if anybody I know is driving drunk - as was Kelly - I'd call the law on them myself. If it's necessary for someone to condone drunk driving or get the "smite"; then again, smite away. You boys seem to feel this is something that should be excused. Maybe it's something you who condone it do, when you're not on here being smart asses. 
My name is written twice on the sidewalks at U of A; the first for a bachelors degree in education; and the second for a master's degree in speech-lanuguage pathology. 

Like my friend "ArkieBrat" says, "Gettin' old ain't for sissies".

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 16, 2017, 12:55:05 pm
Running is not Kelley's problem.  Whether Morris's offense requires a dual-threat QB is not the question.  Hogville posters in general, not necessarily you, tend to do two things - they favor a QB they like and build an opinion to support him, and they think every coach has a "system". 

What we know is that Morris wants to play at a very fast tempo.  He has said that he will use 5 wide sets, two back sets and one back sets.  I assume we can take him at his word.  At Clemson his QBs ran the football.  They were a threat to run.  Whether they were run first QBs or pass first QBs is meaningless for purposes of this issue. 

Morris has shown that he builds his offense around his best QB's skill set.  Why would he do anything different here?  If Kelley is the best he will be the QB.  Kelley's question marks relate to quickness and accuracy.  He is 6'7".  There's a reason why you don't see a lot of spread QB's his size.  He faces mechanical and physical challenges a shorter QB don't have to deal with. 

We know that Kelley is a tough kid who plays with passion.  We know the team loves him and will follow him.  We know he can be effective in certain down-and-distance situations.  What we don't know is whether he is the best choice to be an every down QB in 2018.  Saying he will do fine in Morris's offense is glossing over the question marks and assumes things about Morris we don't know yet.  One thing is certain - a Cole Kelley led offense will not look like anything Morris has run before that we have seen. That doesn't mean it won't be a great offense.

You do realize that Kelly ran the spread in High School, right??

Billy Bats

Quote from: GuvHog on December 16, 2017, 03:34:53 pm

You know what?  Maybe he's just not jumping off the page to everyone.  Is it OK with you if somebody doesn't have an opinion you 100% agree with? 

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on December 16, 2017, 03:34:53 pm

Oregon runs the spread.  Texas Tech runs the spread. Ohio State runs the spread.  Auburn runs the spread.... There are RPOs and read options and play action and motion and one back and two back and five wide sets, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

Virtually EVERYBODY runs some sort spread.  So what? 

Do you think Dan Enos recruited him to run the spread?  Do you think he went to Arkansas to run the spread or to be Ben Roethlisberger?

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 16, 2017, 04:18:23 pm
Oregon runs the spread.  Texas Tech runs the spread. Ohio State runs the spread.  Auburn runs the spread.... There are RPOs and read options and play action and motion and one back and two back and five wide sets, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

Virtually EVERYBODY runs some sort spread.  So what? 

Do you think Dan Enos recruited him to run the spread?  Do you think he went to Arkansas to run the spread or to be Ben Roethlisberger?

Who cares what Dan Enos wanted or why he recruited Kelly to Arkansas? The fact is Kelly ran the spread in High School and can do so again.

GuvHog

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 16, 2017, 03:42:41 pm
You know what?  Maybe he’s just not jumping off the page to everyone.  Is it OK with you if somebody doesn’t have an opinion you 100% agree with? 

Sure. That's what makes the discussions on here so enjoyable. If everyone had the same opinion it would be boring.

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on December 16, 2017, 04:27:32 pm
Who cares what Dan Enos wanted or why he recruited Kelly to Arkansas? The fact is Kelly ran the spread in High School and can do so again.

You're hilarious. I never said he can't run the spread. I said Morris will tailor the spread to suit Kelley if Kelley is the best QB on the roster. I said you can tailor an effective spread to Kelley. Collin Klein ran the spread. Tim Tebo ran the spread.

You would like to simply say Cole Kelley RAH RAH RAH will be dilly dilly in Morris's offense RAH RAH RAH, and in doing so you overlook the obvious. No big deal. I really don't care who is the QB and doubt Morris does, either, at this point. I am certain he has seen some film and drawn some conclusions.

ChitownHawg

I said it was the QB, so I didn't think I needed to mention his name as we know it was Boyd.

And I'm sorry we simply have a different definition of a dual threat. Less than 2 yards per carry is more of a QB scrambling than a dual threat taking the run option.

So I gave you the QB numbers when CCM was OC and most people will agree Ben Hicks isn't a dual threat.

So which team has CCM coached with a dual threat? So far none.

Now I do agree CCM will adjust his scheme to maximise the QBs on the team. If GB comes and looks to earn the starting spot I am sure CCM will adjust. But the discussion was "does CCM use a dual threat QB?" The numbers say no.

Unless you think less than two yards per carry is adequate for a dual threat.

KY Hog Man

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 15, 2017, 09:16:32 pm

You mean the years that Alabama was on probation?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 16, 2017, 10:41:14 am
To bphi's point:

I agree that CK can run this scheme. Watch Ben Hicks and he isn't as good as CK. If CK rolls out, the WR is covered by a safety and a CB is coming down on him. Well he will most likely truck that CB and gain about 5 yards.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 16, 2017, 12:55:05 pm

CK is closer to a Ben Hicks style QB than a TB or DW. So we have seen this style of offense from CCM. They are called the SMU Mustangs.

ChitownHawg

W

I overlooked this part of your post, but wanted to point it out that I agree with it.

Paul

Quote from: KY Hog Man on December 16, 2017, 06:00:11 pm
the darkest days of Bama football sincethe 50's

bphi11ips

Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 16, 2017, 05:57:09 pm
I said it was the QB, so I didn't think I needed to mention his name as we know it was Boyd.

And I'm sorry we simply have a different definition of a dual threat. Less than 2 yards per carry is more of a QB scrambling than a dual threat taking the run option.

So I gave you the QB numbers when CCM was OC and most people will agree Ben Hicks isn't a dual threat.

So which team has CCM coached with a dual threat? So far none.

Now I do agree CCM will adjust his scheme to maximise the QBs on the team. If GB comes and looks to earn the starting spot I am sure CCM will adjust. But the discussion was "does CCM use a dual threat QB?" The numbers say no.

Unless you think less than two yards per carry is adequate for a dual threat.

Again, Tahj Boyd rushed for 1200 yards and 25 TDs in 3 years with Morris as OC. He averaged about 2.5 ypc. Remember that losses are deducted from gains in college football. That means that Boyd gained a lot of yards that he lost on sacks. He was a pass first QB, like Guv said. Morris runs basically the same offense Malzahn runs. It is not a pass first offense. However, the offense is designed to operate off the threat of a QB run. That's why it didn't work at Auburn with Sean White. Boyd could run. Watson could run. Newton could run. Marshall could run. All could also pass. It works best when the QB is a threat to run or pass. Kelley is a threat to run or pass. The question is how well he can run and how well he can pass.

Morris does not run the Kingsbury/Leach spread. He does not run the Mullen spread that relies on a 1,000 yard rushing QB. His offense at Clemson, which I will submit is a much better example of what he wants to run at Arkansas than what he ran at SMU, is very similar to what Malzahn runs at Auburn. It relies on power running game, multiple sets, read options, motion and vertical passing, all at tempo.

If Cole Kelley throws for 3800 yards and runs for 500 like Boyd did at Clemson we will all be very happy. He is not a bad QB. He is not ideally suited for Morris's offense. That is obvious but carry on.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hawgphat on December 07, 2017, 06:17:10 pm
Serious question:

Is it POSSIBLE that - within Morris's offensive scheme - CK could be converted to Fullback or Tight End,

Uh.... no.

Swine-as-wine

Quote from: Pork Ranger on December 07, 2017, 06:28:02 pm
Has there ever been a QB switch positions to OL??

no........been sure been the opposite in Bielema's first year if you remember

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 16, 2017, 06:24:12 pm
Again, Tahj Boyd rushed for 1200 yards and 25 TDs in 3 years with Morris as OC. He averaged about 2.5 ypc. Remember that losses are deducted from gains in college football. That means that Boyd gained a lot of yards that he lost on sacks. He was a pass first QB, like Guv said. Morris runs basically the same offense Malzahn runs. It is not a pass first offense. However, the offense is designed to operate off the threat of a QB run. That's why it didn't work at Auburn with Sean White. Boyd could run. Watson could run. Newton could run. Marshall could run. All could also pass. It works best when the QB is a threat to run or pass. Kelley is a threat to run or pass. The question is how well he can run and how well he can pass.

Morris does not run the Kingsbury/Leach spread. He does not run the Mullen spread that relies on a 1,000 yard rushing QB. His offense at Clemson, which I will submit is a much better example of what he wants to run at Arkansas than what he ran at SMU, is very similar to what Malzahn runs at Auburn. It relies on power running game, multiple sets, read options, motion and vertical passing, all at tempo.

If Cole Kelley throws for 3800 yards and runs for 500 like Boyd did at Clemson we will all be very happy. He is not a bad QB. He is not ideally suited for Morris's offense. That is obvious but carry on.

You keep throwing at this 1200 yards rushing without saying where you are getting your numbers. I posted numbers and the reference site that is barely 1000 yards.

Most people consider a dual threat to have a minimum of 300 yards per year. Here is a listing of the top 10 dual threats in 2016.  None of them have less than 400 yards and several are close to a 1000.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2636395-power-ranking-college-footballs-best-2016-dual-threat-quarterbacks

The one thing I will admit is our discussion has opened my eyes. Before this discussion if asked I would say a dual threat has to have 800+ yards rushing. Yet looking at various sites it seems the definition allows for 400+ yards.

I was surprised to see the rushing yards that low.

Anyway, we both agree CCM will adjust to the QB who is the starter. We are simply arguing over how many yards rushing does it take to be a dual threat.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 16, 2017, 06:59:04 pm
You keep throwing at this 1200 yards rushing without saying where you are getting your numbers. I posted numbers and the reference site that is barely 1000 yards.

Most people consider a dual threat to have a minimum of 300 yards per year. Here is a listing of the top 10 dual threats in 2016.  None of them have less than 400 yards and several are close to a 1000.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2636395-power-ranking-college-footballs-best-2016-dual-threat-quarterbacks

The one thing I will admit is our discussion has opened my eyes. Before this discussion if asked I would say a dual threat has to have 800+ yards rushing. Yet looking at various sites it seems the definition allows for 400+ yards.

I was surprised to see the rushing yards that low.

Anyway, we both agree CCM will adjust to the QB who is the starter. We are simply arguing over how many yards rushing does it take to be a dual threat.

I'm not arguing about that. I never said Tajh Boyd is a dual threat QB. I said Tahj Boyd is a threat to run the football. That is what Frank Broyles said about Gus Malzahn's offense in 2006. It will work if you have a QB who can run the football. Football coaches don't think in terms of labels.

Here are the rushing numbers for Boyd:

2011 - 218 yards; 5 TDs
2012 - 514 yards; 10 TDs
2013 - 400 yards; 10 TDs

That is 1132 yards in three years. I first said in this thread "almost 1200 yards". Then I stopped looking or caring. Maybe I should have rounded down. Regardless, Boyd averaged 377 ypg rushing and 8.33 rushing TDs per season under Morris.  When you consider that sacks are deducted from rushing yards, that is the operational definition of a QB who is a threat to run.  Clemson had a 1,000 rusher all three seasons Boyd started at QB. He was the team's second leading rusher in 2012 and 2013, and that is after sacks were deducted from positive yardage.

Cole Kelley will be here for 3 more years. Again, I love his passion. But you have to ask yourself, would Chad Morris have targeted a 6'7" 250 lb. QB from far south Louisiana to run his offense?  Who did he chase from the 9th grade at Clemson?  Who did he visit first after taking the Arkansas job?

I like Cole Kelley. I hope we succeed with him. If we don't we will be okay. Some here are clinging to the notion that Cole Kelley will do fine in Morris's offense.  I'd prefer to say Arkansas will be fine with Morris's offense. The QB situation will take care of itself.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 16, 2017, 08:23:15 pm
I'm not arguing about that. I never said Tajh Boyd is a dual threat QB. I said Tahj Boyd is a threat to run the football. That is what Frank Broyles said about Gus Malzahn's offense in 2006. It will work if you have a QB who can run the football. Football coaches don't think in terms of labels.

Here are the rushing numbers for Boyd:

2011 - 218 yards; 5 TDs
2012 - 514 yards; 10 TDs
2013 - 400 yards; 10 TDs

That is 1132 yards in three years. I first said in this thread "almost 1200 yards". Then I stopped looking or caring. Maybe I should have rounded down. Regardless, Boyd averaged 377 ypg rushing and 8.33 rushing TDs per season under Morris.  When you consider that sacks are deducted from rushing yards, that is the operational definition of a QB who is a threat to run.  Clemson had a 1,000 rusher all three seasons Boyd started at QB. He was the team's second leading rusher in 2012 and 2013, and that is after sacks were deducted from positive yardage.

Cole Kelley will be here for 3 more years. Again, I love his passion. But you have to ask yourself, would Chad Morris have targeted a 6'7" 250 lb. QB from far south Louisiana to run his offense?  Who did he chase from the 9th grade at Clemson?  Who did he visit first after taking the Arkansas job?

I like Cole Kelley. I hope we succeed with him. If we don't we will be okay. Some here are clinging to the notion that Cole Kelley will do fine in Morris's offense.  I'd prefer to say Arkansas will be fine with Morris's offense. The QB situation will take care of itself.

I have little doubt CCM would like to have the dual threat. Otherwise why recruit DW?

I like your last two sentences. I would be worried if CCM had his success with only dual threats, but he has shown he will adjust. That should serve us well over the long run.

I think we are pretty much on the same page.

lakecityhog

I do believe that Kelley would make more money as a TE than as a QB. AT 76'7" and 270 he would be a miss-match for the D and could possibly become the next Gronk.

I also think that Morris is smart enough to tailor an offense around the guys that give him the best chance to win. That could well be Kelley because of his game experience. I doubt that he puts a true freshman out there against SEC defenses.

IronHog

Quote from: KY Hog Man on December 16, 2017, 06:00:11 pm

You think they're clean now?

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

GuvHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 16, 2017, 08:50:27 pm
I have little doubt CCM would like to have the dual threat. Otherwise why recruit DW?

I like your last two sentences. I would be worried if CCM had his success with only dual threats, but he has shown he will adjust. That should serve us well over the long run.

I think we are pretty much on the same page.

If Morris prefers a dual threat QB then why did he replace a dual threat QB with a pro style passing QB in his second year at SMU??

99toLife

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 16, 2017, 09:24:55 pm
I do believe that Kelley would make more money as a TE than as a QB. AT 76'7" and 270 he would be a miss-match for the D and could possibly become the next Gronk.

I also think that Morris is smart enough to tailor an offense around the guys that give him the best chance to win. That could well be Kelley because of his game experience. I doubt that he puts a true freshman out there against SEC defenses.

No Doubt I agree 100% with that opinion. The best TE in the NFL this year was a quarterback..  HA!

HogsonHicks

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 16, 2017, 09:24:55 pm

Kelley at 76'7" would in fact be VERY difficult to defend at any position.

carolinahogger

Quote from: HogsonHicks on December 17, 2017, 02:00:08 pm
Kelley at 76’7” would in fact be VERY difficult to defend at any position.

That's true.  He could just fall forward for a 25 yard gain.  Imagine CK going up against a 6' cornerback.  I would be throwing jump balls to him for the entire game.

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on December 17, 2017, 01:32:37 pm
If Morris prefers a dual threat QB then why did he replace a dual threat QB with a pro style passing QB in his second year at SMU??

Call Gerry Bohannon and tell him he better ask coach that question.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on December 17, 2017, 01:32:37 pm

CCM wants to win. If the best QB is the pro style then he will use him. Do you think he recruited DW to be a pocket passer?

In my opinion if you have a running QB but not so good passer and a pocket passer who is accurate then you take the pocket passer. You always want your QB to be a threat to throw.

And if he can also run like the wind then you have the best of both worlds. CCM probably saw DW as the best of both worlds. Yet he will always take the best passer in my opinion.

And it seems in his HC career he has had better pocket QBs than DTs. GB could possibly be his first DT in a couple of years. Could be.

LZH

Quote from: HogsonHicks on December 17, 2017, 02:00:08 pm
Kelley at 76'7" would in fact be VERY difficult to defend at any position.

I dunno, at 270lbs he'd probably need to add some weight.

Hawgphat

I have a follow-up question on CK.  Admittedly, I'm not the most knowledgeable fan in regard to "X's & "O's, - but I don't mind being lambasted or ridiculed for my lack of in-depth football sophistication.  I can handle it.

IF CK should prove to NOT be the #1 QB (or possibly not even the #2 QB), why would it be highly unlikely that he might be utilized as a tight end or as a blocking fullback, - carrying the ball or catching a swing pass only rarely, - to add a little extra wrinkle to the mix?  He might be able to throw a trick play pass upon occasion.  He has the size and the strength to serve in such potential capacities, it seems to me. 

Whether or not Kelley would be WILLING to commit to such a conversion is another consideration; he might prefer to transfer if he's not the starting QB.

Feel free to take shots at me over this question if you're so disposed; they won't faze me.  My question is genuinely sincere.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 17, 2017, 04:07:05 pm
CCM wants to win. If the best QB is the pro style then he will use him. Do you think he recruited DW to be a pocket passer?

In my opinion if you have a running QB but not so good passer and a pocket passer who is accurate then you take the pocket passer. You always want your QB to be a threat to throw.

And if he can also run like the wind then you have the best of both worlds. CCM probably saw DW as the best of both worlds. Yet he will always take the best passer in my opinion.

And it seems in his HC career he has had better pocket QBs than DTs. GB could possibly be his first DT in a couple of years. Could be.

I think you're right. CCM prefers a QB who can run, but if he can't pass well he'll go with someone who can, even if the better passer is less mobile.

root_hawg

He won't be the starter next year

southeasthog

Quote from: root_hawg on December 17, 2017, 05:39:36 pm
He won't be the starter next year

He will be the starter next year.

bphi11ips

870hogfan

Bubba's Bruisers

Odds are in CK's favor to start week 1. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

IronHog

Quote from: Hawgphat on December 17, 2017, 04:48:05 pm
I have a follow-up question on CK.  Admittedly, I'm not the most knowledgeable fan in regard to "X's & "O's, - but I don't mind being lambasted or ridiculed for my lack of in-depth football sophistication.  I can handle it.

IF CK should prove to NOT be the #1 QB (or possibly not even the #2 QB), why would it be highly unlikely that he might be utilized as a tight end or as a blocking fullback, - carrying the ball or catching a swing pass only rarely, - to add a little extra wrinkle to the mix?  He might be able to throw a trick play pass upon occasion.  He has the size and the strength to serve in such potential capacities, it seems to me. 

Whether or not Kelley would be WILLING to commit to such a conversion is another consideration; he might prefer to transfer if he's not the starting QB.

Feel free to take shots at me over this question if you're so disposed; they won't faze me.  My question is genuinely sincere.

According to Hogville C.K. can't run enough to be a QB but runs plenty well to play TE or super mammoth H back.

He'll play QB and likely start the next 3 years.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

LZH

Quote from: southeasthog on December 17, 2017, 05:56:44 pm
He will be the starter next year.

I believe he will be, too. He has a hell of an upside.

Freebrd

I think Kelly should, and will be the quarterback next year at Arkansas.  He has a quick release, is accurate and is strong enough to still get rid of the ball without taking a sack.  I think he has a huge upside with the new coach.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Freebrd on December 17, 2017, 06:41:49 pm
I think Kelly should, and will be the quarterback next year at Arkansas.  He has a quick release, is accurate and is strong enough to still get rid of the ball without taking a sack.  I think he has a huge upside with the new coach.
I agree, with bohanon out of the picture.  Kelly seems to be the most likely candidate.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.