Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema Era After-Action Report

Started by HeathWimp, November 19, 2017, 02:34:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HeathWimp

I don't have all the data on hand or I would do it myself, but I think it would be interesting if someone compiled a breakdown of Bielema's tenure after the AR-MO-Gedden game (sorry Bazzel, that name is way cooler than "Borderline Rivalary").

Some items would be obvious, like W-L v. different schools, PF/PA, but I would like to see details about penalties, players/games lost due to injuries, etc.  Also maybe a breakdown of some of the key losses, bad play calls, puzzling hiring decisions with assistants, that sort of thing.

There was a lot of frustration when Nutt left, but I think that Bielema has set a new low-water mark for the program.  I think it would be useful to have a good sense of the current "baseline" of the program as we evaluate how the new coach is progressing.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

EastArkHog 47

The data that stands out to me is 3-9, 7-6, 8-5, 7-6 and 5-7 or 4-8 the other stuff would be interesting though.

panchodeana

How about the fact that he's won exactly one meaningful game over the last year? (Miss State last November, and since then only beaten Ole Miss). Since last mid-November, he's lost 9 of his last 10 to Power 5 teams. And this, in his fourth and fifth year at the helm. Hard to believe, isn't it?

rzrbackramsfan

The stats don't do justice to how bad we've been under him.  Losses to Rutgers, just slipping past la tech and cc.

carolinahogger

Quote from: panchodeana on November 19, 2017, 04:54:47 pm
Since last mid-November, he's lost 9 of his last 10 to Power 5 teams. And this, in his fourth and fifth year at the helm. Hard to believe, isn't it?

No, it makes sense.  He has his own players now.

Uncommon

Don't know what time period you're talking about specifically.  Data suggests the win totals have not aligned with the teams.  For example, here are the S&P comparisons using Football Outsiders for the Petrino era and the Bielema era excluding this season because the season is not finished yet.

Petrino
2008   41     5-7
2009   20     8-5
2010   9       10-3
2011   18     11-2
Average 22   8.5-4.25

Bielema
2013         67    3-9
2014         8      7-6
2015         17     8-5
2016         48     7-6
Currently 95     4-7
Average 35  6.25-6.5

Besides this season, the season where we should've really raised our eyebrows on whether Bielema could get it done here or not was the 2014 season.  Based on S&P ratings since 2005, the 2014 team had the highest S&P rating, even better than the 2006 Razorbacks.  Yet, we just were able to make bowl eligibility.  That team was capable of at least 8-4 or 9-3.  But the lack of ability to close out games or keep a lead (the main themes of the Bielema era) plagued the team. 

Bebop

Quote from: Uncommon on November 19, 2017, 05:47:30 pm
Don't know what time period you're talking about specifically.  Data suggests the win totals have not aligned with the teams.  For example, here are the S&P comparisons using Football Outsiders for the Petrino era and the Bielema era excluding this season because the season is not finished yet.

Petrino
2008   41     5-7
2009   20     8-5
2010   9       10-3
2011   18     11-2
Average 22   8.5-4.25

Bielema
2013         67    3-9
2014         8      7-6
2015         17     8-5
2016         48     7-6
Currently 95     4-7
Average 35  6.25-6.5

Besides this season, the season where we should've really raised our eyebrows on whether Bielema could get it done here or not was the 2014 season.  Based on S&P ratings since 2005, the 2014 team had the highest S&P rating, even better than the 2006 Razorbacks.  Yet, we just were able to make bowl eligibility.  That team was capable of at least 8-4 or 9-3.  But the lack of ability to close out games or keep a lead (the main themes of the Bielema era) plagued the team.

Essentially, Bielema's ceiling here was average. He was/is never going to break through past average. He is a terrible coach.