Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

15 yard penalty for breaking a player's neck

Started by HognotinMemphis, May 16, 2017, 08:15:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogsanity on May 17, 2017, 10:01:41 am
Why? Did the player making the hot even know his teammate had the face mask? Some of you are attributing way too thought and malice on plays that happen at a very fast pace.

sure it happens at a fast pace, but spearing in the head is still illegal as is face masking.  both should be ejections if done intentionally or with no attempt to avoid it.

believe it or not, it is possible to make a tackle without doing either.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

kp72204

I think that you should get a 15 yard penalty and if deemed flagrant; thrown out of the game. If it's intentional then as many games as it takes for injured player to come back. If said career is over then so is the player that injured him. Tough but would clean up a lot of illegal hits. I think there should be a committee that gets to look at all the hits and deem what was legal and what could have been prevented. Just my 2 cents.

Ex-Trumpet

Remove the facemasks completely...prolly cut way back on concussions by doing so, too.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hogsanity

Quote from: kp72204 on May 17, 2017, 03:09:00 pm
I think that you should get a 15 yard penalty and if deemed flagrant; thrown out of the game. If it's intentional then as many games as it takes for injured player to come back. If said career is over then so is the player that injured him. Tough but would clean up a lot of illegal hits. I think there should be a committee that gets to look at all the hits and deem what was legal and what could have been prevented. Just my 2 cents.

We've gone to the realm of absurd.  So, if a player clips or chop blocks - WHICH ARE BOTH ILLEGAL HITS - and a player blows a knee and his career is over then so is the career of the player who clipped or chop blocked?

Referees can already eject a player if they deem ANY personal foul to be flagrant.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: mizzouman on May 16, 2017, 09:40:03 am
At some point, players must assume the risks.  Football can be a very dangerous sport with long lasting issues.  You cannot make football injury free and risk free.  By its very nature, it's violent.

Like boxing.  Hitting below the belt is illegal but a violent upper cut to the nose, which can cause the bone to shoot through the brain, isn't.
What bone? The nose is 100% cartilage. Have you ever seen a human skull? It is bone. The "nose" is a hole. Don't believe everything you read.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: factchecker on May 16, 2017, 10:38:00 am
A player should be ejected if they firmly grasp and pull someone's face mask.  Players are ejected for helmet to helmet regardless of intent so why shouldn't this be the same. You don't have to judge intent. Intent means nothing in this scenario. Just look for the grasp and pull.

You teach your players not to lead with their head.  You also teach them to wrap up on tackles and attack the ball-----
not someone's face mask.  No room for players who are too lazy or who lack the basic fundamentals to wrap up the body instead of grabbing for a face mask.

Just to reiterate.  If you can be ejected for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkiBh7jDKFI

Then you sure as hell need to be ejected for this:

https://twitter.com/Hogtrough/status/787676550200107009
Absogodamlutely. That is a no brainer and i cannot believe the NCAA has not passed such a rule. If you tackle anyone like that, should be automatic ejection. Maybe even for 2 games. This is as egregious a foul as you can have in football.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

jgphillips3

If we are going to keep this BS targeting rule, then there needs to be a similar review on Facemasks.  If it is determined that the head came around almost 90° or the player held on for longer than a certain period of time then it should be an ejection because a facemask where the head comes around or that is used to tackle makes the risks from targeting look meaningless.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on May 16, 2017, 01:57:56 pm
Most facemask penalties occur when defenders are just trying to grab the ball carrier, many times when a runner comes through the line, a defender locked up on a block just reaches a hand out into the hole and gets his fingers in the mask. Guys are rarely intentionally grabbing the mask, and they are not taught to tackle that way or we would see a lot more face mask penalties than we do now. It is also rare to see a face mask grab result in injury ( which is amazing actually ).
The video above of the Ole Miss player tacking our QB was intentional. He grabbed the facemask and only the facemask, and held on and dragged him to the ground. That could have easily resulted in breaking multiple cervical vertebrae which would result in permanent paralysis. He should have been ejected for that game and the next if the right rule was in the books.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on May 16, 2017, 02:39:17 pm
Ah, so you're just making it up to take the moral high ground.

You have won me over. If someone is paralyzed by an unintentional face mask we should cut the tackler's back open and remove his spinal cord on the field -- and make his mother watch. That will stop it. And sell tickets.
You seem to be the only idiot in this thread. Congrats.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 16, 2017, 04:21:30 pm
I'm not so sure that suggesting new rules based on the emotional reaction of our player being horribly injured is a great idea.
Friendo, that is how rules get made.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DOGALUM on May 16, 2017, 11:13:26 pm
To answer the OP.....no.  They should not be ejected.  What looks like "intentional" grabbing of the face mask is many times unavoidable.  Stupid question to even ask.  But seeing who asked it explains a lot.
I stand corrected. There are two idiots commenting in this thread, not just one.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on May 17, 2017, 08:21:41 am
Would this thread have been started had a Hog player not been injured by being facemasked ( never mind that he came back less than a year later and lead the league in rushing )? Would those who think it should be an ejection feel that way had it been a Hog who committed the foul and broke the neck of a player?

It's funny, in the thread about " would you let your kid play football " we are told people need to quit being babies, football is a dangerous sport, but you can't shelter kids from danger" and countless stories of reckless behavior ( bike stunts, skateborads etc ) that are much more dangerous than football. We have threads all the time decrying the watering down of the physical nature of football. About how the targetting rule is a joke. But now we want to start ejecting guys because a Hog got hurt.

What has caused more injury, chop blocks or facemasks? Going at a guys knees for a tackle, or facemasking? It is not facemasking, and it is not even close.
Again, there is no chance of being paralyzed for the rest of your life by being on the receiving end of a chop block. But there is a decent chance of it happening if you are tackled by your facemask. My common sense tells me there is zero comparison here.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on May 17, 2017, 03:28:10 pm
Remove the facemasks completely...prolly cut way back on concussions by doing so, too.
This sounds crazy but it is not. They play rugby with no helmet at all. Football could be played with no face mask. It would change the way it is played and would probably extend the viability of tackle football. As of now, it looks like it may not be around in another generation with all of the concussions and later in life dementia and ALS diagnoses.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 19, 2017, 09:52:02 am
Again, there is no chance of being paralyzed for the rest of your life by being on the receiving end of a chop block. But there is a decent chance of it happening if you are tackled by your facemask. My common sense tells me there is zero comparison here.

Yet I can't find any reports of a player being paralyzed for life after being face masked, at least not at the college or pro level. Neck injuries resulting in paralysis all have one thing in common, compression of the spinal cord caused by the top of the head either hitting another player or the ground. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkSoda

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 19, 2017, 09:54:35 am
This sounds crazy but it is not. They play rugby with no helmet at all. Football could be played with no face mask. It would change the way it is played and would probably extend the viability of tackle football. As of now, it looks like it may not be around in another generation with all of the concussions and later in life dementia and ALS diagnoses.
Boxing and Professional Wrestling is still around.  football isn't going anywhere.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.