Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long is out

Started by OtterHog, November 15, 2017, 08:13:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hog of steele

Sad day. I thought he was a good AD. I wonder if he did dig in on CBB?

Life goes on.

Hou-Hog

Quote from: scottwillrazbackfan1 on November 15, 2017, 03:34:24 pm
Termination letter.
very surprised that we are going to pay the remainder of his contract. There must be something that caused the firing now vs. a month ago or a month from now. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 15, 2017, 01:58:17 pm
The only thing I am going to miss is all the indignant talk about how deranged we peons were to even hint that Long may be gone.  Fantasies...delusions...we were all accused of mental deficiencies by the "realistic" people who hover above the fray, reminding us all of why they know how it all works and we only drag knuckles and wonder.
CHEERS, Mate!! Feels good, doesn't it?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

DeltaBoy

Dang it a day later and I am still happy about the Moves on the Hill. Woo Pig.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 16, 2017, 11:29:36 am
Dang it a day later and I am still happy about the Moves on the Hill. Woo Pig.
I was a little more pleasant to be around this morning. Even made my fiancé coffee...told her not to get used to it.

EastexHawg

Quote from: solitons on November 15, 2017, 08:16:12 pm
his fate was locked when he fired CBP 6 years ago

I don't know about his, but our football program's fate was sealed.  We'll see if we can dig out of the hole within a decade, as in from the end of the 2011 season to January 1, 2022.  So far we have lost six years that we'll never get back.

DeltaBoy

We will get better.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DLUXHOG

This was such stupid, stupid, stupid move by the BOT.....   stupid....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Ironhawg

Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 16, 2017, 03:55:56 pm

I'm having a really, really, really hard time disagreeing with this.  The only way this is not a colossal error in judgement is if they already have their AD selection in hand.  If that is the case, the announcement needs to happen quickly to make it public knowledge they actually have a plan.

jabberjawls

This was a great, great, great move by the BOT.  I just wish it hadn't taken so long.

Cotton

Long had writing on the wall the moment he pi$$ed off Tyson.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 16, 2017, 03:55:56 pm
Quote from: jabberjawls on November 16, 2017, 04:45:29 pm
This was a great, great, great move by the BOT.  I just wish it hadn't taken so long.

Anyone forming an opinion either way doesn't have all the facts.  Maybe no facts at all.  We can only speculate.

Unless, of course, BOT members are actually posting here.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ThundrHawg

I'm really having a hard time understanding the excitement about Long being fired. By all reports, the big money guys behind the scenes are the ones riding him out of town, which basically means a return to how things were run before he got here. Could someone please link me the great results this has brought us in the modern era of football? Or explain to me how the folks that brought us the firing of Nolan, Stan Heath, Pelphrey, can make good decisions for the basketball program? These people are good at writing fat checks, not running a major athletic program. Everyone says all Long did was build a lot of stuff on campus. Those facilities were essential to staying on par with the rest of the SEC and no one can say for certain it would have happened without him. I can't see this ending well at all.

hoghearted

If Long was unwilling to make a change at the HC position, which is desperately needed, then he needed terminating. The football program is in bad shape, and leaving BB at the helm will not make it better.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hawgon

Quote from: ThundrHawg on November 16, 2017, 05:52:03 pm
I'm really having a hard time understanding the excitement about Long being fired. By all reports, the big money guys behind the scenes are the ones riding him out of town, which basically means a return to how things were run before he got here. Could someone please link me the great results this has brought us in the modern era of football? Or explain to me how the folks that brought us the firing of Nolan, Stan Heath, Pelphrey, can make good decisions for the basketball program? These people are good at writing fat checks, not running a major athletic program. Everyone says all Long did was build a lot of stuff on campus. Those facilities were essential to staying on par with the rest of the SEC and no one can say for certain it would have happened without him. I can't see this ending well at all.

I'm not going to argue with you that all that stuff isn't great.  It is.  It's wonderful.  But what did it get us?  Have we been very successful in our two main sports?  Is our basketball program better than Duke's because they play in a crap hole?  Is our football better than any number of teams who don't have stadiums as nice as we do?

Facilities are a means to an end not an end in themselves.  If you aren't winning, they literally aren't worth the money and effort.

ThundrHawg

Quote from: hoghearted on November 16, 2017, 05:57:10 pm
If Long was unwilling to make a change at the HC position, which is desperately needed, then he needed terminating. The football program is in bad shape, and leaving BB at the helm will not make it better.

I agree, but most of the accounts I've read were that it was a power play by the money guys and not because he refused to fire Bielema, they just used the football results as an excuse to seize the throne. If he did actually refuse to fire him, then that would be a different story.

factchecker

Quote from: hawgon on November 16, 2017, 05:59:05 pm
Facilities are a means to an end not an end in themselves.  If you aren't winning, they literally aren't worth the money and effort.

I understand your stance but I view facilities as an investment.

Facilities will be here long after the AD and coach are gone.

The improvements benefit the fans and players (locker room) for years to come.

I'd rather my donation go to student athlete support and facilities than AD and coaching salaries.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Cotton on November 16, 2017, 04:50:32 pm
Long had writing on the wall the moment he pi$$ed off Tyson.

Very plausible. 

The selection of Robert Petrino instead of Butch Davis may have sealed Long's fate.

hawgon

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 16, 2017, 06:10:09 pm
Very plausible. 

The selection of Robert Petrino instead of Butch Davis may have sealed Long's fate.

Nope, if it is because we didn't hire BD, then it is because we could have had him instead of JLS and Bielema.

Cotton

Quote from: factchecker on November 16, 2017, 06:05:02 pm
I understand your stance but I view facilities as an investment.

Facilities will be here long after the AD and coach are gone.

The improvements benefit the fans and players (locker room) for years to come.

I'd rather my donation go to student athlete support and facilities than AD and coaching salaries.
Facilities don't breed success.

Success breeds facilities.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hoglady

Quote from: hawgon on November 17, 2017, 07:48:43 am
Nope, if it is because we didn’t hire BD, then it is because we could have had him instead of JLS and Bielema.

It's actually sickening to think of where the program might be if Long could have brought in BD at that time. Instead you bring in JLS who's in the middle of a personal financial crisis. Bad decision.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Been10Hog

Quote from: hoglady on November 17, 2017, 08:45:02 am
It's actually sickening to think of where the program might be if Long could have brought in BD at that time. Instead you bring in JLS who's in the middle of a personal financial crisis. Bad decision.
I think the idea was to not screw up a good situation. Obviously it didn't work, but JLS had been on staff, all the assistants were kept, should have worked like the Cowboys did when they fired JJ and brought in Barry Switzer. Problem is Barry was just a figurehead and rah rah guy. Bobby had been the actual play caller, not Paul Petrino

Hogwild

Quote from: ThundrHawg on November 16, 2017, 05:52:03 pm

Long was here for ten years, in that time we didn't have a winning conference record in either basketball or football.  It really can't get much worse than that.

OtterHog

November 17, 2017, 10:25:51 am #523 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:43:47 am by OtterHog™
Quote from: Hogwild on November 17, 2017, 10:16:03 am
Long was here for ten years, in that time we didn't have a winning conference record in either basketball or football.  It really can't get much worse than that.

2010, 2011, and 2015 we had winning records in SEC play for football.

2007-08, 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15, and 2016-17 we had winning records in SEC play for basketball.

Maybe you were just trolling, but wew lad.

Cotton

Quote from: Hogwild on November 17, 2017, 10:16:03 am

Confirmed. We've reached the point in the thread where people just make outlandish false claims.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Hogwild

Quote from: OtterHog™ on November 17, 2017, 10:25:51 am
2010, 2011, and 2015 we had winning records in SEC play for football.

2007-08, 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15, and 2016-17 we had winning records in SEC play for basketball.

Maybe you were just trolling, but wew lad.

Overall marks, while Long was AD (10 years), neither the basketball or football teams won more games than we lost in conference play.

AlmaHog2011

What a great day to be a Razorback! Go get an AD that is better than Long and hopefully he will know where Arkansas is on a map.