Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Stephen Jones - - -

Started by Hawgphat, February 04, 2018, 10:16:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OLDHOG

Quote from: wildhogman on February 11, 2018, 11:28:27 pm
I have no facts to back this up. I am to lazy as well to go back through post history of so many people. But I bet the same ones whining about this kid getting a scholarship, were fine with Malazahn getting OC on the backs of 5 kids.  Who cares if he got it because of grandpa, or because he is a late bloomer, or because he is legit.  He is a hog now, for the rest of his life he will be a recruit, player, and finally former player.  If he never takes a snap, never gets on the field, Its doesn't matter, HE IS A HOG FOREVER. Like the rest of us
+1

hoglady

Quote from: thebignasty on February 13, 2018, 12:15:53 pm
this is funny, half of hogville has accused Bielema of doing exactly that, on account of the pull that the director of high school relations had over the program

Not me.
I thought Brandon and Austin were the best we had.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Ā 

bennyl08

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 13, 2018, 05:07:55 am
...and if it was an academic scholarship, nobody would say a word.
I love how people want to punish the grandson, because they don't like the grandfather. Heaven help the kid if he ever tries to use his student discount at
Chick-Fil-a. Geez.

I haven't heard anybody talking about punishing the grandson. If being a walk-on is considered punishment, then we didn't hire the right coach.

The major point is that if I was a booster and I could legally pay for a player worthy of scholarship within the rules, freeing up the program to get essentially a bonus scholarship, that could easily be worth millions of dollars in donation money. Maybe the grandson hated that idea or maybe even though it is his grandson, it would have still violated ncaa rules or been close enough to a grey area that Morris didn't want to risk any trouble and gave him a scholly just to be safe.

However, any tricks to get the equivalent of more than 85 scholarship players via having rich families pay their own way or what have you IMO is a good thing. So long as you don't treat your walk-ons any differently from the scholly players, that's a great way to legally bend the rules to give you an advantage.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

oldhawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 13, 2018, 01:22:42 pm

... freeing up the program to get essentially a bonus scholarship, that could easily be worth millions of dollars in donation money....

That seems a stretch of the imagination at best.

But to play the devil's advocate, perhaps the scholarship to the grandson of a Razorback donor who has already given millions to the program is an expression of gratitude for his support, and a tangible way to say that the Razorbacks would like to continue receiving millions of dollars from him.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: oldhawg on February 13, 2018, 03:59:54 pm

But to play the devil's advocate, perhaps the scholarship to the grandson of a Razorback donor who has already given millions to the program is an expression of gratitude for his support, and a tangible way to say that the Razorbacks would like to continue receiving millions of dollars from him.

Or out of necessity, either way I doubt anyone is going to explain it to us unless Bo reads this and gets his callers fired up over it. If there were any way possible my grandson would not have to be on scholarship, and since Jones is considered a booster it may very well be a violation not to give him a scholarship. Although, if I had to guess giving a scholarship would come closer to being a violation rather than having him pay his own way. Maybe CCM thought he was good enough for a scholarship and didn't want to lose him to SMU. IDK, either way it's offseason and this thread is likely to reach 226 pages and go through spurts of subject changes like Texas GSD, White Privilege, romance novels, food choices at Razorback games, food choices at Cowboy's games, what kind of car JSJ drives and would it be a beamer if he were at SMU...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bennyl08

Quote from: oldhawg on February 13, 2018, 03:59:54 pm

How is that a stretch of the imagination? Unless there is some hidden implication that you are making, what you literally just said is that if that scholarship did not go to JSJ, then it is a stretch of the imagination at best that Morris would have found/chosen to give that scholarship to anybody else in the country. You really think that there is no other player that would have committed here had another scholarship been available?

Eh, I suppose maybe you think the "worth millions of donations" aspects is a stretch. Considering that it was a hedged statement to begin with, not sure how it's a stretch. That "bonus" scholly player may not have amounted to anything, maybe they become such a terrible person that they lose the program money, but it is certainly possible that said extra player could have been a Knile Davis type (high risk high reward) or perhaps a transfer like a Mallett. We don't go to the BCS in 2010 without either of those players. It's a stretch to assume that any individual would have the sort of impact of either of those did, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that a single player could be the difference between a 10 win regular season and an 8-9 win season or that going to the BCS that year increased the uni's funds by at least a million compared to what a 9 win season would have netted us in money.

Your counter example is certainly possible as well. However, while possible, it isn't very logical. Hey, we'd like to save you 100k in paying for this kids college in order to bribe you into giving us millions more dollars yearly into the future! I'd think a way bigger and more meaningful expression of gratitude would be to say "Hey, we'd like to make the program so successful in the future that we'll get even more donations from people other than you, decreasing the need for you to continuously give us money. We'd ask that you pay up to 100k for your grandson to play here as a walk-on allowing us to sign an extra player to a scholarship in hopes that the 100k now could save you millions in the long run, rather than us using a scholarship in a class that's already limited risking depth issues in the future to show you up to a 100k in gratitude while perhaps becoming even more reliant on you donating millions per year on into the future".
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse