Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sounds like it's Chavis?

Started by ricepig, December 11, 2017, 01:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray_Finkle

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 12, 2017, 04:03:55 pm
I hope so. Venables is my top choice. If it's not him though I wonder if it could be Mike Stoops. With Bob Stoops retiring when he did, Lincoln Riley didn't really get to hire his own staff. I could see Venables making that connection since he's worked with both Stoops and Morris.

I work with several OU fans and they would love for us to take Mike Stoops off their hands...  they are not fans of his...   

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Wildhog on December 12, 2017, 10:30:07 am
Of course, that awesome 2014 defense was built around NFL talent.  It's all about the jimmies and joes.

You can't win without good players, but good players can and often do fail with a bad system/bad coaching.

The Rams are a good example. They scored more points in the first 7 games than all of last season with almost the exact same players.

They did add Whitworth at LT and a couple of others, but the core group is the same.

Yes, Jared Goff showed tremendous improvement, but could he have done that in Jeff Fisher's dinosaur offense? I doubt it
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Ray_Finkle on December 12, 2017, 04:05:13 pm
I work with several OU fans and they would love for us to take Mike Stoops off their hands...  they are not fans of his...

Yeah they've been pretty pedestrian recently.

WarEagleSharkFalconHawg

We went from 12 commits to 11 on 247sports today.  Who did we lose?

Neednewcoach

Per football Scoop..........Phil Bennett: Source tells FootballScoop Arizona State defensive coordinator Phil Bennett plans to leave Arizona State. Phil & his wife live in College Station, TX...and Jimbo Fisher is on the look for a defensive coordinator. Texas A&M is definitely not confirmed but quite interesting. At this time all we are reporting is that Phil is leaving Arizona State. Could Arkansas be the spot? Time will tell...

redeye

Quote from: WarEagleSharkFalconHawg on December 12, 2017, 04:19:00 pm

The RB from Louisiana.

Sorry I don't remember his name, because I haven't been following recruiting this year.

Wildhog

Quote from: redeye on December 12, 2017, 04:26:09 pm
The RB from Louisiana.

Sorry I don't remember his name, because I haven't been following recruiting this year.

Jeremy Gibson
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DuckTalesLOL

Quote from: redeye on December 12, 2017, 04:26:09 pm
The RB from Louisiana.

Jeremy Gibson

WarEagleSharkFalconHawg

REBEL1

Chavis has an Interview Thursday with CCM.   
Screw Karma!!!
I say it like it is!!!! If you dont like it, I dont care!!!

TX HOG

Quote from: REBEL1 on December 12, 2017, 05:00:04 pm

I'm not sure if Chavis has the 'fire' that CCM is looking for. Maybe he does. I've aleays seen Chavis as barely awake in the booth. I must admit I don't know Chavis well so I could be incorrect

Ray_Finkle

If this is true then why did he say he has the best DC in the country coming?  I think most fans took that as he had one already lined up.... 

Earth Hog Fan

I had never heard of Musselman. But he's a teacher, demands discipline and builds from the defensive end first. I want our football coach to be just like him."

oldhawg

Quote from: Ray_Finkle on December 12, 2017, 05:04:08 pm
If this is true then why did he say he has the best DC in the country coming?  I think most fans took that as he had one already lined up.... 

Coach speak designed to energize and hold recruits attention.  Chavez isn't chopped liver.  He is well known and  some consider him as good as anyone.

Ray_Finkle

Quote from: oldhawg on December 12, 2017, 05:17:30 pm
Coach speak designed to energize and hold recruits attention.  Chavez isn't chopped liver.  He is well known and  some consider him as good as anyone.

It will be interesting to see who he hires. 

reddogjcss

I know folks talking about what teams scored against Chais lately but football has changed!  There is higher scoring nation wide. If he is hired here I'll give him my full support until he proves he can't do the job. His age comes with wisdom and his name will be a good recruiting.
Just saying he's lot better then 90% of D.C. Out there. In other words we could do a lot damn worse and not a bunch better.

Eddie Goodson

Morris was speaking in hyperbole when he made the best DC in the country remark. Hyperbole just blows people's minds.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

JONAS

Quote from: TX HOG on December 12, 2017, 05:02:10 pm
I'm not sure if Chavis has the 'fire' that CCM is looking for. Maybe he does. I've aleays seen Chavis as barely awake in the booth. I must admit I don't know Chavis well so I could be incorrect

Can't be any worse than we have had under BB.

Ray_Finkle

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 12, 2017, 05:33:59 pm
Morris was speaking in hyperbole when he made the best DC in the country remark. Hyperbole just blows people's minds.

my mind's not blown I just think if you are going to continually say something over and over you had better deliver...  not saying Chavis won't be good, I'm sure he will do great if CCM thinks he will.

And just because you use the word "hyperbole" doesn't make you cool....   8)

a0ashle

People are always digging for ammo on here, what a miserable way to exist.

Snouty

Quote from: WarEagleSharkFalconHawg on December 12, 2017, 04:19:00 pm
Quote from: Earth Hog Fan on December 12, 2017, 05:11:09 pm
Louisiana RB Jeremy Gibson de-commits from Arkansas

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/skilled-louisiana-rb-jeremy-gibson-de-commits-arkansas

From the article, it sounds like Arkansas de-committed from Jeremy Gibson.  The article did say the new staff isn't recruiting Gibson.
I'm sure we'll be fine with Whaley and TJ Hammonds.  I expect Coach Morris will actually play TJ.  (Sorry, I just can't refer to coaches as
CCM or CBB).

Jonbo

Unfortunately, it made me cringe to hear him say that. Sounded too much like someone we know.

Pig in the Pokey

pretty sure most fans take things wrong all the damn time. it's kinda arkansas fams' thing; lack of reading comprehension.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Calvin Swine

Quote from: Ray_Finkle on December 12, 2017, 05:36:21 pm
my mind's not blown I just think if you are going to continually say something over and over you had better deliver...  not saying Chavis won't be good, I'm sure he will do great if CCM thinks he will.

And just because you use the word "hyperbole" doesn't make you cool....   8)

He can't come out and say he's going to hire a pretty good defensive coordinator.  What recruit says, "Yeah!  Sign me up!" with a statement like that?  Chavis would be a very good to great hire.  He's known and well respected.  If you don't believe me try this little trick we've done at work:  Name the top 5 undisputed D-coordinators in the country right now off the top of your head.  My bet, if you're like us, you start saying, "Uhh, uhhhh" around 4.  Suddenly Chavis starts looking like a fantastic hire!

Take it a step further and do a little googleing with your top D-coordinator list.  I'll bet you most, if not all, have lackluster seasons in their ten year, wherever they're at (or have been).  Again, Chavis looks like a fantastic hire!

The Venables thing was never going to happen.  It just didn't make any sense.  I can't blame anyone for hoping against all that seems reasonable, but it's best to put that out of our minds.   

JONAS

Quote from: Snouty on December 12, 2017, 05:43:26 pm
From the article, it sounds like Arkansas de-committed from Jeremy Gibson.  The article did say the new staff isn't recruiting Gibson.
I'm sure we'll be fine with Whaley and TJ Hammonds.  I expect Coach Morris will actually play TJ.  (Sorry, I just can't refer to coaches as
CCM or CBB).

I had to with Bret.  I couldn't spell his last name.

redeye

Quote from: Jonbo on December 12, 2017, 05:52:43 pm
Unfortunately, it made me cringe to hear him say that. Sounded too much like someone we know.

It bothers people, because the DC hire is so important.  But coaches are supposed to show spirit and claim their team is the best, so all this cringing is unwarranted, imo.  As fans, it's amazing how far we'll search just to find some reason to complain.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: JONAS on December 12, 2017, 06:00:33 pm
I had to with Bret.  I couldn't spell his last name.
i before e except after c
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Jonbo

Quote from: redeye on December 12, 2017, 06:00:49 pm
It bothers people, because the DC hire is so important.  But coaches are supposed to show spirit and claim their team is the best, so all this cringing is unwarranted, imo.  As fans, it's amazing how far we'll search just to find some reason to complain.
I know, I know. It's just coach-speak. Some bad recent memories, I have.

ronmahony

Quote from: Neednewcoach on December 12, 2017, 04:19:19 pm
Per football Scoop..........Phil Bennett: Source tells FootballScoop Arizona State defensive coordinator Phil Bennett plans to leave Arizona State. Phil & his wife live in College Station, TX...and Jimbo Fisher is on the look for a defensive coordinator. Texas A&M is definitely not confirmed but quite interesting. At this time all we are reporting is that Phil is leaving Arizona State. Could Arkansas be the spot? Time will tell...

Well looks like to me if he lives in College Station he would be wanting the ATM job, not ours.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

oldhawg

Wonder if Manny Diaz would consider leaving Miami to be DC at Arkansas?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Chavis is the Norm Chow of defense
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: oldhawg on December 12, 2017, 06:45:58 pm
Wonder if Manny Diaz would consider leaving Miami to be DC at Arkansas?

No, he from Miami

sickboy

He was giving a "rah-rah" speech to his new team. Maybe don't take everything so literally.

(notOM)Rebel123

...and how do you know he's not?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

searkhogfan

Quote from: Snouty on December 12, 2017, 05:43:26 pm
CCM or CBB).

Maleek (sp) Williams redshirted

huntindoc

Quote from: sickboy on December 12, 2017, 08:21:38 pm
He was giving a "rah-rah" speech to his new team. Maybe don't take everything so literally.

I tend to agree with your approach but he did say it more than once, not just to the team.

The_Bionic_Pig

He just like the majority of us probably didn't have Coach Chavis in mind when making that statement.

Basically he had/has a list of guy's and the longer it takes, the more obvious our future DC is probably still employed and getting his current team ready for a bowl game.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Phil D

This thread is eerily similar to the Gus to Arkansas thread lol
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Peter Porker

Quote from: Wildhog on December 12, 2017, 10:30:07 am
Of course, that awesome 2014 defense was built around NFL talent.  It's all about the jimmies and joes.

And it was the last time we were a ground-n-pound offense.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 12, 2017, 10:32:28 pm
He just like the majority of us probably didn't have Coach Chavis in mind when making that statement.

Basically he had/has a list of guy's and the longer it takes, the more obvious our future DC is probably still employed and getting his current team ready for a bowl game.

Exactly. As far as recruiting goes, the "contact period" ends Saturday. "Quiet Period" on Sunday, then the "Dead Period" begins Monday, Dec. 15 and runs thru January 11th.

Pork Twain

Sure he does...  Let me guess, you have "sources"
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 13, 2017, 06:37:28 am
Sure he does...  Let me guess, you have "sources"

Cousin Jack's best friends sisters boyfriends former boot camp roommate from Orifice North Dakota.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pork Twain

Until the hire is actually announced we don't really know this either.  He could have been speaking matter of fact.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

(notOM)Rebel123

December 13, 2017, 06:47:13 am #643 Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:00:04 am by (notOM)Rebel123

Heard Chavis requested it be early in the day....before his nap & early bird dinner at Golden Corral.  ;)

Ragnar Hogbrok

At this point, I'll take any bowl we can get in.

;)
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 13, 2017, 06:46:01 am
Until the hire is actually announced we don't really know this either.  He could have been speaking matter of fact.

While that is in fact true, I still believe that in the end he will have to say something like, "This is the guy that is the best DC in the country for what we are going to be doing here at Arkansas in conjunction with our philosophy". A graceful step back from the original statement. I hope I am wrong.
Go Hogs Go!

oldhawg

December 13, 2017, 08:23:52 am #646 Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:14:35 am by oldhawg
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 13, 2017, 07:20:41 am
While that is in fact true, I still believe that in the end he will have to say something like, "This is the guy that is the best DC in the country for what we are going to be doing here at Arkansas in conjunction with our philosophy". A graceful step back from the original statement. I hope I am wrong.

I do not for a minute believe it will be Venebles.  However, as you infer, I do believe it will be an excellent hire that will compliment what Morris is going to do offensively, and probably more importantly will mesh well with the rest of the staff.  In other words I think Morris will either hire someone he already knows, or he will have adequately vetted that person.

On the other hand, if Venebles's son does not sign with Clemson in December, could that be an indication of things to come?

oldhawg

I do not understand the mentality of the few folks who say, "If Morris does not hire Venebles, then he has lied to us."

Would you be happier if he said, "Well, I am offensively minded, but I'll get the best DC that I can."  Nice message to send to recruits on the defensive side of the ball.

Where would we be if Sam Walton's idea of excellence would have been to be the largest retailer in Northwest Arkansas, and he was satisfied with that.

Of course he (Morris) is going to get the best.  He is selling an idea.  He may not of even had Venebles in mind when he said that.  That is your conclusion, perhaps not Morris's vision.

Some complain about missing the train when it has not even left the station.

GuvHog

Quote from: Calvin Swine on December 12, 2017, 05:59:22 pm
He can't come out and say he's going to hire a pretty good defensive coordinator.  What recruit says, "Yeah!  Sign me up!" with a statement like that?  Chavis would be a very good to great hire.  He's known and well respected.  If you don't believe me try this little trick we've done at work:  Name the top 5 undisputed D-coordinators in the country right now off the top of your head.  My bet, if you're like us, you start saying, "Uhh, uhhhh" around 4.  Suddenly Chavis starts looking like a fantastic hire!

Take it a step further and do a little googleing with your top D-coordinator list.  I'll bet you most, if not all, have lackluster seasons in their ten year, wherever they're at (or have been).  Again, Chavis looks like a fantastic hire!

The Venables thing was never going to happen.  It just didn't make any sense.  I can't blame anyone for hoping against all that seems reasonable, but it's best to put that out of our minds.   

1. Brent Venables
2. Steele (Auburn)
3. Pruitt (Now HC at Tennessee)
4. Mike Stoops
5. Todd Graham
6. Chavis
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jkstock04

I took the "best DC in the country" as coach speak from the very beginning. However...I also took the statement as someone was already 100% committed and locked down. Then he kind of said later as to having a short list....so to me the big time contradiction isn't the "best DC in the country" coach speak, but that he would possibly make that statement without knowing 100% who the guy is. That's where I would get a little sideways.

The longer this drags on, one has to wonder. When he made that statement did he even have THE guy in mind? Or was that 100% blowing koolaid BS? I'm hoping the process for this behind the curtain is locked down, and they aren't scrambling to make a hire.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys