Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Network in 2019... Will You Have It?

Started by rhog1, May 01, 2013, 02:00:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

threeNout

Quote from: Hawg Balling on May 03, 2013, 10:37:47 am
You can listen to the games on free radio, or stream them via the internet (which you're using right now). There are myriad ways to enjoy a football game, and fans will find ways to follow their teams.  This is progress, plain and simple.

listening to games on the radio can be pretty cool, but it shouldn't just be ignored that many that could watch the Hogs on TV before, will no longer be able to.

It's being presented as a win/win, when actually it is a win/loss. with the size of the loss not even mentioned or considered?

Progress?,  maybe, those already plugged in will get a better deal, some will get left out in the cold.

They are swapping one set of viewers for another, increasing viewership on cable/dish and losing over the air viewers.  They are probably OK with that because advertisers likely covet the types of viewers who are plugged into everything, as opposed to those who don't spend a lot on electronic entertainment.

Is it the right business decision? probably, will it be what is best for Arkansans's future support of Razorback athletics and the fans in general?,  I have my doubts.

Hawg Balling

Quote from: threeNout on May 03, 2013, 11:00:14 am
listening to games on the radio can be pretty cool, but it shouldn't just be ignored that many that could watch the Hogs on TV before, will no longer be able to.

It's being presented as a win/win, when actually it is a win/loss. with the size of the loss not even mentioned or considered?

Progress?,  maybe, those already plugged in will get a better deal, some will get left out in the cold.

They are swapping one set of viewers for another, increasing viewership on cable/dish and losing over the air viewers.  They are probably OK with that because advertisers likely covet the types of viewers who are plugged into everything, as opposed to those who don't spend a lot on electronic entertainment.

Is it the right business decision? probably, will it be what is best for Arkansans's future support of Razorback athletics and the fans in general?,  I have my doubts.

I ask again -- who are these "left out" Arkansans going to turn to if they can't watch Hog games?  Arkansas State?  Hardly. 

Like I said, if you can't watch the Hogs on TV, you're probably not watching any other team with regularity, either.

threeNout

Quote from: Hawg Balling on May 03, 2013, 11:11:42 am
I ask again -- who are these "left out" Arkansans going to turn to if they can't watch Hog games?

No one else.  A result will be the number of young people growing up and loving the Hogs will be diminished.  That is a logical assumption to make if less kids in Arkansas will grow up being exposed to the Hogs on their Saturday AM TV.

Less homes in Arkansas will get the Hogs on TV than before if KATV's broadcast on the Hogs stop, that is a simple fact. How the dish/cable crowd gets redistributed does not change that fact.

poor, rural families may not spend their dollars as well as advertisers would like, therefore they are not as important.  They do however produce just as many or more quality athletes.

I hope I'm wrong, and KATV will still be able to simulcast, and everyone in the state who wants to see the Hogs, can.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: threeNout on May 03, 2013, 11:28:25 am
No one else.  A result will be the number of young people growing up and loving the Hogs will be diminished.  That is a logical assumption to make if less kids in Arkansas will grow up being exposed to the Hogs on their Saturday AM TV.

Less homes in Arkansas will get the Hogs on TV than before if KATV's broadcast on the Hogs stop, that is a simple fact. How the dish/cable crowd gets redistributed does not change that fact.

poor, rural families may not spend their dollars as well as advertisers would like, therefore they are not as important.  They do however produce just as many or more quality athletes.

I hope I'm wrong, and KATV will still be able to simulcast, and everyone in the state who wants to see the Hogs, can.

I'm for free healthcare, internet and cable TV.  :D

threeNout

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 03, 2013, 12:10:49 pm
I'm for free healthcare, internet and cable TV.  :D

They would have to pay me to watch what's on the majority of cable TV, a considerable amount. :)   sure can't stomach paying for it, even with them trying to use the Hogs as leverage.

I can deal with whatever goes down, I'll always follow the Hogs one way or another.

jbcarol

"I'm delighted to have a presence in North Carolina."

Care to elaborate? "No. I don't need to."

-- Mike Slive
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

TNhogfan

Quote from: threeNout on May 03, 2013, 10:01:45 am
Will a person with simply an antenna still be able to see the Hogs?, yes or no, just honestly seeking the answer to that.

not griping, just trying to find out if homes will be lost in Arkansas or not.

If so, hopefully the supposed good of this new deal will outweigh the harm, but if there WILL be losers in this, they deserve to be mentioned and not just glossed over.
It is a pay TV channel just as ESPN/2/U, FS-South, CSS are and just as the PPV games have been.  The past 4 seasons, AR has been on CBS 11 times and on Pay TV channels 26 times.  10 games were on the syndicated SEC package but four of those were last year when AR was terrible. 

No marquee games were on the SEC package, so anyone without access to cable or satellite is not going to miss any games that they have not already been missing.

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 2 May
In case you're wondering SEC Network will not televise high school football games
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

TNhogfan

Quote from: threeNout on May 03, 2013, 10:12:04 am
This is really pretty easy.

A sizable % of homes in Arkansas have have no dish of any type, or no cable, and just use an antenna.

thousands of homes in Arkansas do that right now, we are one.

Using that setup in the past, you could typically expect to see 2 Hogs games over the air at 11am on KATV, and one Hog game on CBS every year. 3 total

If the new "SEC Network" no long broadcast over the air on KATV or local affiliates, many Arkansas homes will only have the CBS game, one game a year., not 3 or 4.

That's how homes could be lost.
AR cable/ADS penetration by market:
Little Rock/PB -    91.9% - (40.5 cable, 51.4 ads)
Ft Smith/NWA-     89.2%   (49.0 cable, 40.2 ads)
Jonesboro -         92.2%   (56.9 cable, 35.3 ads)

Out of state markets which reach into AR:
Memphis -           89.0     (48.6 cable, 40.4 ads)
Tulsa -               85.4     (46.7 cable, 38.7 ads)
Springfield           82.5     (28.2 cable, 54.2 ads)
Shreveport          92.3     (33.0 cable, 59.3 ads)
Monroe/ED          92.3     (41.8 cable, 50.5 ads)
Greenwood/Gville  91.5     (57.6 cable, 33.9 ads)

The 2 or 3 games a year that AR has been on the syndicated SEC game will not be missed by very many at all.  Plus many fans who had cable or ads will now have opportunity to view the games that used to be PPV or on FSN/CSS.

rhog1

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2013/5/2/4295498/report-espn-owns-all-of-the-sec-network
If this is accurate ESPN owns 100% of the SEC Network. I don't understand the logic of the conference not having the controlling share in the network.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: threeNout on May 03, 2013, 12:24:39 pm
They would have to pay me to watch what's on the majority of cable TV, a considerable amount. :)   sure can't stomach paying for it, even with them trying to use the Hogs as leverage.

I can deal with whatever goes down, I'll always follow the Hogs one way or another.

I love my u verse. Love all the sports channels, Military channels, History, Smithsonian, Travel, ect.... Love all my movie and on demand channels too. Worth every penny to me . My wife and I have dueling recliners in front of the 55" HDTV and also 32 " HDTV's in all bedrooms. We're pretty content  ;D

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rhog1 on May 03, 2013, 03:44:42 pm
http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2013/5/2/4295498/report-espn-owns-all-of-the-sec-network
If this is accurate ESPN owns 100% of the SEC Network. I don't understand the logic of the conference not having the controlling share in the network.

In one word: MONEY
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MrKnowItAll

jbcarol

Quote from: SouthAR Hog on May 02, 2013, 04:53:32 pm
What is the relationship between the new SEC Network that will launch next August and the current SEC Network that televises games at 11:00 on Saturday mornings?

Also stating there will be three games per day on the channel including competition with the CBS SEC game in the afternoon.

Folks outside Arkansas had to hope a local TV affiliate picked up the SEC Network game (especially during basketball season) or had to get ESPN GamePlan and/or a SportsPak with Fox Sports Channels.  Now you need to be able to have access to the channel. Not sure how this will be administered for basketball yet.

nationwish

Quote from: jbcarol on May 07, 2013, 08:53:59 am
Also stating there will be three games per day on the channel including competition with the CBS SEC game in the afternoon.

Folks outside Arkansas had to hope a local TV affiliate picked up the SEC Network game (especially during basketball season) or had to get ESPN GamePlan and/or a SportsPak with Fox Sports Channels.  Now you need to be able to have access to the channel. Not sure how this will be administered for basketball yet.

I also doubt those games will be broadcast on ESPN3. I believe the games on ESPNU weren't streamed the last two seasons, while games on the SEC Network and even Fox were.

moses_007

The SEC Network is scheduled to premiere in August, 2014 and it is to be a partnership between the SEC and ESPN.  The question is, will it be a separate network like the Big 10 Network is, or will it continue to be on the ESPN channels?  I wonder if this will mean the end of the over the air games on ABC stations like Channel 7 in Little Rock?

At the bottom of the site you can enter your zip code and television provider to see if you will have it.  I have DirecTV here in Little Rock, and it shows at the present time I won't have it.  We'd better get busy notifying our TV providers that we demand it on our channel lineup.

http://www.getsecnetwork.com/

gijoejd

Looks like Dish Network folks wont have it.  I got this:

As of today, DISH Network customers will not have access to the SEC Network in August 2014. Call 800-333-3474 to tell DISH Network you want the SEC Network. Plus, fill out this form to tell them you want the SEC Network added to your channel lineup and stay in the know on SEC Network updates

moses_007

I have a sneaky feeling we're going have to pay extra on our DirecTV or Dish bills to get it.  I'd bet it isn't free.

I wonder if CBS will continue to air the biggest SEC games?

Hoggish1

Quote from: gijoejd on December 14, 2013, 03:43:04 pm
Looks like Dish Network folks wont have it.  I got this:

As of today, DISH Network customers will not have access to the SEC Network in August 2014. Call 800-333-3474 to tell DISH Network you want the SEC Network. Plus, fill out this form to tell them you want the SEC Network added to your channel lineup and stay in the know on SEC Network updates

That's the message I got.  Windsteam didn't pick up Watch ESPN (ESPN 3), now this.   :-[

Mick Hogger

With Direct already carrying the BTN, I'm sure they'll get it on there. People will start dropping like flies if they can't see games.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

TNhogfan

Quote from: moses_007 on December 14, 2013, 03:39:09 pm
The SEC Network is scheduled to premiere in August, 2014 and it is to be a partnership between the SEC and ESPN.  The question is, will it be a separate network like the Big 10 Network is, or will it continue to be on the ESPN channels?  I wonder if this will mean the end of the over the air games on ABC stations like Channel 7 in Little Rock?

At the bottom of the site you can enter your zip code and television provider to see if you will have it.  I have DirecTV here in Little Rock, and it shows at the present time I won't have it.  We'd better get busy notifying our TV providers that we demand it on our channel lineup.

http://www.getsecnetwork.com/
Yes, the games that ESPN Regional had been syndicating to local stations around the country will be ending.  Also, the PPV games and the CSS games. ESPN's contract w/ FSN runs for one more season, then those games will move as well.  Three games every Saturday plus the SEC's version of Gameday called SEC Nation.  The AR/AU game will be on SEC Network and SEC Nation will broadcast from Auburn that day from 10-Noon ET.  So far only Uverse has signed on to carry the network.

TNhogfan

Quote from: moses_007 on December 14, 2013, 03:44:55 pm
I have a sneaky feeling we're going have to pay extra on our DirecTV or Dish bills to get it.  I'd bet it isn't free.

I wonder if CBS will continue to air the biggest SEC games?
CBS and ESPN both signed 15 year contracts before the 2009 season.  CBS will retain first choice each week, but in exchange for not increasing their rights fees, they will give up exclusivity during their window.  What has not been made clear is if it is just SEC Net or if ESPN can put games on any of its channels opposite CBS. 

threeNout

Quote from: moses_007 on December 14, 2013, 03:39:09 pm
  I wonder if this will mean the end of the over the air games on ABC stations like Channel 7 in Little Rock?

I asked this question back when the new SEC network was announced a few months back and never got a good answer.

It's a huge question, as thousands of Arkansas households would lose the two or three Razorback games a year they are used to seeing.

saturday morning cartoons leading into an early razorback game, been that way for over 30 years.   Love for the Hogs by the youth of this state will just take a another hit if the new SEC network actually reduces the amount of instate viewers,  through excluding over the air, or dish, or both.

Inhogswetrust

I expect to have to pay extra for it. I live in a Memphis suburb and have DirectTV. IF they do not start to provide it at the appropriate time I WILL SWITCH to another provider. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wayne Watson

Yep.  AT&T U-verse is the first national distributor of the SEC Network.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Divot

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 03:54:00 pm
I expect to have to pay extra for it. I live in a Memphis suburb and have DirectTV. IF they don not start to provide it at the appropriate time I WILL SWITCH to another provider. 

Same here.  I'm headed to Uverse if Directv decides to not carry SEC-N yet support nearly every other major sports channel.

moses_007

Quote from: threeNout on December 14, 2013, 03:53:54 pm
I asked this question back when the new SEC network was announced a few months back and never got a good answer.

It's a huge question, as thousands of Arkansas households would lose the two or three Razorback games a year they are used to seeing.

saturday morning cartoons leading into an early razorback game, been that way for over 30 years.   Love for the Hogs by the youth of this state will just take a another hit if the new SEC network actually reduces the amount of instate viewers,  through excluding over the air, or dish, or both.

People who have nothing but outside antennas or rabbit ears (and can't afford Comcast or satellite) won't be able to ever see the Hogs play again.  That is sad.

56Hog

It's a game of chicken with all the providers except AT&T.  Any provider depending on SEC territory for a substantial part of its revenue will commit commercial suicide if they wait too long to blink.  On the other hand ESPN can't risk a second Longhorn Network fiasco by jacking rates too high.  This website is just a way for ESPN and the SEC to twist a few arms.

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Divot on December 14, 2013, 03:58:21 pm
Same here.  I'm headed to Uverse if Directv decides to not carry SEC-N yet support nearly every other major sports channel.

My wife and I have already been thinking about Uverse. Do you know if they will have it?

Update. Thanks Wayne I just now saw your post.

hoglady

Comcast is not signed up yet, either.
The only provider in Little Rock to date is ATT/u-verse - of course, U-verse is not available on my street. The only street in my entire subdivision that it's not available.
I will be calling Comcast first thing Monday morning.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 56Hog on December 14, 2013, 04:02:33 pm
It's a game of chicken with all the providers except AT&T.  Any provider depending on SEC territory for a substantial part of its revenue will commit commercial suicide if they wait too long to blink.  On the other hand ESPN can't risk a second Longhorn Network fiasco by jacking rates too high.  This website is just a way for ESPN and the SEC to twist a few arms.

I have no problem with that. If they don't want to carry I bet they have a competitor that will.

moses_007

The problem with U-Verse is it isn't available everywhere, sometimes even parts of cities that have it don't have the fiber optic cables yet.  I live on the Pulaski/Saline county line and although I have U-Verse for internet, television isn't available here yet.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: threeNout on December 14, 2013, 03:53:54 pm
It's a huge question, as thousands of Arkansas households would lose the two or three Razorback games a year they are used to seeing

You mean NOW we also have the GREAT TV Provider Debate?

Just when it looks like one debate will drop down another comes in to take it's place!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: moses_007 on December 14, 2013, 03:58:56 pm
People who have nothing but outside antennas or rabbit ears (and can't afford Comcast or satellite) won't be able to ever see the Hogs play again.  That is sad.

Not to sound crass but I don't know anyone that still has rabbit ears........................If there is I bet it isn't a big number or are you just trying to be funny?

hoglady

Quote from: moses_007 on December 14, 2013, 04:06:44 pm
The problem with U-Verse is it isn't available everywhere, sometimes even parts of cities that have it don't have the fiber optic cables yet.  I live on the Pulaski/Saline county line and although I have U-Verse for internet, television isn't available here yet.

I'm close to the Pulaski/Saline line also. Like I posted earlier. I'm about the only street in my neigbhorhood that doesn't have U-Verse and most likely never will. The signal just doesn't reach my street. I have woods across the street so just not economically feasible. I can't imagine Comcast not getting on the bandwagon.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

moses_007

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 04:10:35 pm
Not to sound crass but I don't know anyone that still has rabbit ears........................If there is I bet it isn't a big number or are you just trying to be funny?
I had rabbit ears for a bedroom TV that I had in the early 2000s, and it worked real good for picking up the local stations here in Little Rock.  You probably would be surprised how many people in metro areas still use them.  They work good for digital too.

hoglady

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 04:10:35 pm

Well - I've had car payments less than what I pay Comcast every month.
I'm sure some folks just say forget it and cut it off.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: moses_007 on December 14, 2013, 04:15:17 pm
I had rabbit ears for a bedroom TV that I had in the early 2000s, and it worked real good for picking up the local stations here in Little Rock.  You probably would be surprised how many people in metro areas still use them.  They work good for digital too.

I do have a friend that uses a digital antenna for tailgating. Gets good reception.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on December 14, 2013, 04:19:30 pm
Well - I've had car payments less than what I pay Comcast every month.
I'm sure some folks just say forget it and cut it off.

Tell them to buy cheaper brands of milk and Orange juice.

Hogfaniam

Not on xfinity yet. Big 10 network available on every tier except basic.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Simple Swineman

Quote from: moses_007 on December 14, 2013, 04:15:17 pm

We use rabbit ears at every tailgate for the cbs and abc games. Now that everything is digital the HD picture is crystal clear. Better than satellite picture and much easier to set up.

hoglady

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 04:21:03 pm
Tell them to buy cheaper brands of milk and Orange juice.

That's right.
Skimp on that food - to keep that cable TV on.
HA!!

moses_007

According to the Q&A on this site, only 45 football games will be televised in 2014 live.  With 14 SEC members, I guess we'll only see three Razorback games on the network.  Hopefully CBS will have a couple more. 

But the days may be gone when we watch every single Razorback game on TV.  Sounds like we'll be listening to most of them on the radio. :(

I wouldn't be surprised if the SEC schools weren't pushing for this, since ticket sales were hurting the last few years when every single SEC game was being televised. 

grayhawg

Cox in Van Buren and Ft Smith, as of now will not have it.

rocknrollcoastie

I hate Time Warner already I will definitely be switching to U-Verse if that's what it takes
Hard Rock Nights is on the air in 6 continents, 30 countries, over 100 stations and aired over 150 times a week or you can listen anytime anywhere on mixcloud
http://old.mixcloud.com/hardrocknights/

Hard Rock Nights finding tomorrow's classic rock today...it's what we do

JFHWGBKRIII

Resort TV Cable does not have it at present. May have to go Direct if they fall out.

TNhogfan

Quote from: moses_007 on December 14, 2013, 04:28:39 pm
According to the Q&A on this site, only 45 football games will be televised in 2014 live.  With 14 SEC members, I guess we'll only see three Razorback games on the network.  Hopefully CBS will have a couple more. 

But the days may be gone when we watch every single Razorback game on TV.  Sounds like we'll be listening to most of them on the radio. :(

I wouldn't be surprised if the SEC schools weren't pushing for this, since ticket sales were hurting the last few years when every single SEC game was being televised.
Every game where an SEC team plays at home will be on TV just as they have been since 2009.  CBS will still have a Game of the Week plus the Championship Game.  ESPN will still carry games on ESPN/2/U and maybe even some non-conference on ESPNews since they have started using it for games.  The only change is that the PPV, CSS and the games that were syndicated to local stations across the country will now be on the SEC Network.  Then in 2015, the FSN games will also move.

moses_007

Well, to be honest, I don't like the idea of this network.  I think CBS is dropping the LSU-Arkansas series, so we will lose that one if it isn't on the SEC Network.  Plus, if we only manage to get three games on the network per season, it will really be a setback for many of us who aren't physically able to attend games in person.  I used to buy season tickets to every Little Rock game, but with my condition I am unable to walk up and down steep hills and climb the steps in the stadium like I used to.

For the past three seasons I've been able to watch every single Razorback game.  The games that weren't on ESPN, CBS or Channel 7, I was able to watch on ESPN3 on the computer.  I had to buy the PPV games, except last year I was at my daughter's house in north Fort Worth and got to watch it on ESPN3 for free.

reddogjcss

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Dish will either pick it up or I'll pick up another provider. It's that simple.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....