Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Network in 2019... Will You Have It?

Started by rhog1, May 01, 2013, 02:00:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 28, 2014, 02:28:15 pm
Run your HD cable from TV to computer and enjoy the game on that 70"  ;)

I will be doing that, but again, it doesn't allow me to record it since I'm having to go through the computer, plus, it won't be the same HD quality.  The way it's starting to look right now we pay more to enjoy the Razorbacks play, but get much less for the money.  I hope this does not work out the way it's looking.

The NewEra

Quote from: rhames on February 28, 2014, 02:26:37 pm
Only sucks if you have a provider who doesn't carry the network

I bet come August all of the providers will

This is a good thing. All football and basketball games will be on tv. No more PPv.  Stop freaking out.

You must not have read the thread.  They will not all be on t.v.  That's the point.

hogfanfromlr

With an AppleTV and Roku you can get WatchESPN.  I've watched the ESPN3 games on my TV through my AppleTV.  It ties into your internet connection thorugh wifi.  It was a gift but they are $99 or less.

It did ask me for my TV provider, so I'm not sure if you don't have some sort of cable what you do. 

But it's been much nicer watching it on the big screen rather than my computer monitor. 

hogfanfromlr

I think this has been previously posted but

http://getsecnetwork.com/

Top right "Demand the SEC network now"

rhames

Quote from: The NewEra on February 28, 2014, 02:33:01 pm
You must not have read the thread.  They will not all be on t.v.  That's the point.

Lol

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread

All football games will be on tv. Between espn, espn 2, espn u, the sec network, and CBS all sec football games will be on tv. They are already available on espn 3.

To sum it up the sec network will be carrying the games that in the past were on the sec  network(old 1120 kickoff games), fsn, CSS and PPv.

Like I said by August all major providers will carry it. Dish has picked it up.

You guys are freaking out over nothing.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on February 28, 2014, 02:26:37 pm
Only sucks if you have a provider who doesn't carry the network

I bet come August all of the providers will

This is a good thing. All football and basketball games will be on tv. No more PPv.  Stop freaking out.

Stop freaking out?? That's not the HV way, come on! As I stated, it will be on the cable systems, but there will have to be plenty of hand wringing first.

ImHogginIt

The way I remember reading most people will be able to watch just as many games as in the past on TV as long as you have SEC Network. Same amount of games will be on ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN and CBS just as in past years.

rhames

The "games" they are talking about aren't football games

The sec plays more sports than football

The games that will be on espn3 are the soccer, women's softball, women's bball

Those sports

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: rhames on February 28, 2014, 02:38:10 pm

Lol

All football games will be on tv. Between espn, espn 2, espn u, the sec network, and CBS all sec football games will be on tv. They are already available on espn 3.

To sum it up the sec network will be carrying the games that in the past were on the sec  network(old 1120 kickoff games), fsn, CSS and PPv.

This  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

LZH

How important is all this tv money if half of fans can't watch the games?  Couple that with another losing season and watch the apathy set in like a virus.  I just can't imagine they would allow that to happen.  Another run of "who-gives-a-s***?" like we had in the 1990's and we could have some serious problems.  With the SEC arms race in hyperdrive, and only getting worse, that could be a setback for the entire athletic program.

The NewEra

Lol

I sure hope you are right rhames.  Dish is my provider.

rhames

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 28, 2014, 02:43:19 pm
How important is all this tv money if half of fans can't watch the games?  Couple that with another losing season and watch the apathy set in like a virus.  I just can't imagine they would allow that to happen.  Another run of "who-gives-a-s***?" like we had in the 1990's and we could have some serious problems.  With the SEC arms race in hyperdrive, and only getting worse, that could be a setback for the entire athletic program.

Half the fans?

I explained it for you

rhames

ricepig

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 28, 2014, 02:43:19 pm

Glass half empty?

LZH

Please forgive me rhames, I started typing before you enlightened me.  And Fwiw, I did say that I can't imagine it would be allowed to happen.

rhames

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 28, 2014, 02:52:51 pm
Please forgive me rhames, I started typing before you enlightened me.  And Fwiw, I did say that I can't imagine it would be allowed to happen.

All good in the good my friend.

LZH

All I know is there's alot of talk about some providers not carrying it, and unlike someone said above Espn3 does NOT carry all games...they are blacked out.

Fwiw I'll switch tv providers if I have to.

Professor Psychosis

I do feel sorry for the people in Arkansas who don't have any type of disposable income to spend on things like satellite, or high speed internet (or it's simply not fast enough for streaming where they are).  They are going to miss out big time by losing the ability to watch games on the local over-the-air stations.  This SEC network means less games on 40/29, for example, which is no good thing.  I think I watched 4 of our games on 40/29 last year that won't be there this year.  Means more trips to the sports bar for me (oh well, I'll adapt).  Not everyone can afford that, though.

In fact, unless playing a road game against a non-conference foe that's TV deal includes ABC/Fox/NBC (home team has the TV rights), the only local stations that will ever carry Arkansas football in Arkansas now will be the CBS affiliates.  Even during our good years, that's never more than 2-3 times per year.  The only guaranteed CBS game in the past has been the LSU game.  Hopefully they are planning to air the Arkansas/Missouri game on Saturdays at the end of the year now, because that could be the only time the people stuck in this situation ever see the Razorbacks play unless they know someone with cable, or they can afford to go to a bar/restaurant.  Even 95% of the bowl games are on one of the ESPN networks now.

I'm happy that the SEC Network is taking off, which means more access to more games in other sports, but I already found a way to watch all 12 of our games last year as well as all the other SEC football games that I cared to see.  For football, this changes nothing for me, but hurts people, particularly some of the elderly who might live on fixed income and might only have access to the local channels.  It means 2-4 less games per year, although I suppose dedicated fans will still find methods to watch these games.

NMMIHog

Basically, the folks who only get games via over-the-air (CBS game 2:30 and KATV SEC game 11:21) will have to get services through a cable or satellite provider that carries the SEC Network, right?   

ricepig

Quote from: NMMIHog on February 28, 2014, 03:08:15 pm
Basically, the folks who only get games via over-the-air (CBS game 2:30 and KATV SEC game 11:21) will have to get services through a cable or satellite provider that carries the SEC Network, right?   

Yep, just like they did for the ESPN family games, FSSW, and other cable network games.

TNhogfan

CBS will still have their game of the week.  The rest of the games will be assigned by a committee made up of representatives from both ESPN and the SEC.  Currently ESPN alone decides what channel the non-CBS games are on. 

As has been the case since 2009, the games will be on ESPN/2/U and still for next season on FSN.  CSS, SEC-TV syndicated package and the PPV game will no longer happen.  The SEC Network as with all ESPN channels except Classic will be in HD.  Each Saturday, three games will be on SEC Network at noon, 3:30 and 7:00 ET.  In addition, SEC Network will have a Gameday type show each week from a different campus.

There should not be any games on ESPN3 except for the FSN games next season which are blacked out on ESPN3 in the SEC footprint.  CBS games will still stream at CBSSports.com.  The games on ESPN/2/U will be on the matching channel on WatchESPN3.  Presumably, the SEC Network will also have a channel at WatchESPN.

TNhogfan

Quote from: The NewEra on February 28, 2014, 01:08:20 pm
Maybe someone can help me out with this question.  I'm hearing some things that make me wonder if this is actually going to be an improved venue for the fan.  I'm certainly not well studied on this issue, but here are my concerns.

From what I'm hearing, there will be 3-4 games on a primary ESPN / SEC channel and the rest of the games will be on ESPN3.  If that is the case then a lot of the older generation who are not computer savvy will miss out on the games entirely.  As for me I can HDMI directly to my t.v., but even then I won't be able to record the game if it's only broadcast via ESPN3.  Not being able to record the games is a big deal to me. 

Does anyone on here know what the actual format for the games is going to be with regard to being able to (or not) get each game in HD via a network channel?

The contracts the SEC signed with CBS and ESPN before the 2009 season was for 15 years.  Nothing has changed games are still on CBS and ESPN/2/U.  As for ESPN3, the only games ESPN has streamed there were the CSS, FSN, PPV and SEC-TV syndicated games.  The  ESPN games stream at WatchESPN.   The SEC Network should also have a channel at WatchESPN.  The SEC has never had ESPN3 exclusive games and won't in the future.

razoredge178

I know how you can watch at least 7 of the games and not have to worry about what channel the game is on.....

TNhogfan

Why won't the games be on TV?  Every  game where an SEC team is the home team is on TV: CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or SEC Network.   All in HD.  IF one of the non CBS games goes long and it is time for the next game, then the later game might start on ESPNewsHD before moving to its correct channel.  It is much better than pre-2009 when many games were not on TV. 

DukeOfPork

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on February 28, 2014, 01:35:41 pm
That's because it should be called ESPNInternet.  It's not on cable.  Try ESPN3.com.

Yeah, I know that.  But subscription is through your cable provider. 

I don't have the option last time I checked.

The NewEra

Thanks to those who replied to help me get ahead of what to expect from a service perspective with the SEC Network.

LZH

If it's anything like the first year of the LHN there's bound to be some disappointed people.

TNhogfan

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 28, 2014, 03:59:38 pm
If it's anything like the first year of the LHN there's bound to be some disappointed people.
It will be more similar to P12Networks or BTN, than to LHN.  A much broader appeal, but there will be some carriers like DTV is with P12Networks that will not pick it up.   I think most fans in SEC states will be happy.  There will be some left out, but there have been some left out in the past with ESPN placing games on FSN, CSS and even ESPU as not all systems carry those as well as each school's PPV which always eliminated many fans.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 28, 2014, 03:59:38 pm

Some people on here would be disappointed if I handed them a wadded up c note.

HogScoutMaster

Rumor has it, they are dropping hogs from the network
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

tbhogfan

Lol

I hope you are right.  Also, great avatar!
Go Hogs!

hawg IQ

Quote from: The NewEra on February 28, 2014, 01:08:20 pm
Maybe someone can help me out with this question.  I'm hearing some things that make me wonder if this is actually going to be an improved venue for the fan.  I'm certainly not well studied on this issue, but here are my concerns.

From what I'm hearing, there will be 3-4 games on a primary ESPN / SEC channel and the rest of the games will be on ESPN3.  If that is the case then a lot of the older generation who are not computer savvy will miss out on the games entirely.  As for me I can HDMI directly to my t.v., but even then I won't be able to record the game if it's only broadcast via ESPN3.  Not being able to record the games is a big deal to me. 

Does anyone on here know what the actual format for the games is going to be with regard to being able to (or not) get each game in HD via a network channel?
Here's the deal if a tree falls out in the woods or its broadcast on espn 3 , the tree won't make a noise but we hog fans damn sure will. Other than- than that, I read where dish won't carry SEC network.
go hogs go !

Danny J

Lol

I think the difference in those games is that the SEC network will only be able to show one game at a time without the ability to switch for the game in your area thus requiring you to go to ESPN3 to watch the game they choose not to pick up. My understanding, I hope I am wrong, is that for example if none of the major national channels pick up say: Ark vs MSU and UK vs Vandy and both are 11:20 kickoff times then one of the fanbases will have to go to ESPN3 to watch that game. So if the SEC network goes with UK and Vandy then we are SOL as far as a TV game. Is that not right? I certainly hope not.

ricepig

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on February 28, 2014, 04:36:19 pm
I think the difference in those games is that the SEC network will only be able to show one game at a time without the ability to switch for the game in your area thus requiring you to go to ESPN3 to watch the game they choose not to pick up. My understanding, I hope I am wrong, is that for example if none of the major national channels pick up say: Ark vs MSU and UK vs Vandy and both are 11:20 kickoff times then one of the fanbases will have to go to ESPN3 to watch that game. So if the SEC network goes with UK and Vandy then we are SOL as far as a TV game. Is that not right? I certainly hope not.

The Network sets the starting time, there won't be games on the SEC Network at the same time. The three times will be 12:00, 3:00, and 7:00.

TNhogfan

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on February 28, 2014, 04:36:19 pm
No, that is not correct.

Every game since 2009 where an SEC team was playing at home has been on TV.   No games will be on ESPN3.  All games where the home team is an SEC team will be on either CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or SEC Network.  No longer will games be on PPV, CSS or SEC TV.  After the 2014 season no more games will be on FSN.  SEC Network will have around 45 games with 3 on every Saturday:  Noon, 3:30 and 7:30 ET.

The NewEra

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on February 28, 2014, 04:15:44 pm
Some people on here would be disappointed if I handed them a wadded up c note.

I'll be your guinea pig on that to test your hypothesis!

hawg IQ

okay I live in Fayetteville...sec network will be televised by 29/40 right? that's three games each sat on 29/40, the rest (sec)regardless of times will on CBS or espn or espn 2 or espnu..done deal !?
go hogs go !

TNhogfan

Quote from: hawg IQ on February 28, 2014, 05:11:12 pm
okay I live in Fayetteville...sec network will be televised by 29/40 right? that's three games each sat on 29/40, the rest (sec)regardless of times will on CBS or espn or espn 2 or espnu..done deal !?
No, the only over the air games will be the CBS game of the week.  SEC Network is going to be a regular cable channel just like the Big Ten Network (BTN) and the Pac-12 Networks (P12N).  ESPN Regional (SEC-TV) will no longer do a game.

TNhogfan

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 28, 2014, 02:56:56 pm
All I know is there's alot of talk about some providers not carrying it, and unlike someone said above Espn3 does NOT carry all games...they are blacked out.

Fwiw I'll switch tv providers if I have to.
No games will be on ESPN3.  The games on ESPN/2/U will be streamed as all shows on those channels on WatchESPN and it is thought that ESPN will also stream SEC Network there.  The games ESPN3 did in the past were the PPV, SEC-TV, FSN and CSS games.  Those are gone.

hawg IQ

Quote from: TNhogfan on February 28, 2014, 05:16:57 pm
No, the only over the air games will be the CBS game of the week.  SEC Network is going to be a regular cable channel just like the Big Ten Network (BTN) and the Pac-12 Networks (P12N).  ESPN Regional (SEC-TV) will no longer do a game.
I see how everyone is getting confused here then. There are other things besides cable like dish, direct TV, U-Verse. Espn is on every package that's cable/others . it sounds like sec network wil be located somewhere beside the regular espn channels, I guess we are all wondering where.

I know  some of us are just dumb asses, but is there a comprehensive way to understand how it might affect all we SEC fan and our respective cable, dish, direct or u-verse users whereas we might fall out ?
go hogs go !

ricepig

Quote from: hawg IQ on February 28, 2014, 05:11:12 pm

Wrong, the SEC Network will be a separate cable channel like A&E, ESPN, Weather Channel, your cable carrier will have to pay for it, and so will you.

hawg IQ

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2014, 05:27:50 pm
Wrong, the SEC Network will be a separate cable channel like A&E, ESPN, Weather Channel, your cable carrier will have to pay for it, and so will you.
Now we are getting to the heart of the matter- prices, approx. how much extra, does anyone know?
go hogs go !

TNhogfan

Quote from: hawg IQ on February 28, 2014, 05:24:54 pm
I see how everyone is getting confused here then. There are other things besides cable like dish, direct TV, U-Verse. Espn is on every package that's cable/others . it sounds like sec network wil be located somewhere beside the regular espn channels, I guess we are all wondering where.

I know  some of us are just dumb asses, but is there a comprehensive way to understand how it might affect all we SEC fan and our respective cable, dish, direct or u-verse users whereas we might fall out ?
ESPN will probably want it placed with its other sports channels. Cable and Sat providers will probably view it rather than being another ESPN as being like BTN & P12N and want it in a sports package.  ESPN is asking something in the range of $1.30 per subscriber in the SEC states. 

Danny J

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2014, 04:40:46 pm
The Network sets the starting time, there won't be games on the SEC Network at the same time. The three times will be 12:00, 3:00, and 7:00.
Ok....thanks

hawg IQ

Quote from: TNhogfan on February 28, 2014, 05:36:07 pm
ESPN will probably want it placed with its other sports channels. Cable and Sat providers will probably view it rather than being another ESPN as being like BTN & P12N and want it in a sports package.  ESPN is asking something in the range of $1.30 per subscriber in the SEC states. 
okay another question, sounds silly- is that $1.30 per month each per subscriber / or per week/  or game ? will cable, satellite seek additional profits, say jump the bill an extra 3 bucks or something. same for b-ball? baseball?
      I'm sure no one has all the answers. one would think many issue that might or could arise would have been thought out via/ espn and sec officials.

actually 1.30 extra a month is not bad, providing there's no blackouts.
go hogs go !

TNhogfan

Quote from: hawg IQ on February 28, 2014, 08:07:50 pm
okay another question, sounds silly- is that $1.30 per month each per subscriber / or per week/  or game ? will cable, satellite seek additional profits, say jump the bill an extra 3 bucks or something. same for b-ball? baseball?
      I'm sure no one has all the answers. one would think many issue that might or could arise would have been thought out via/ espn and sec officials.

actually 1.30 extra a month is not bad, providing there's no blackouts.
It is $1.30 per month for each subscriber to the cable or satellite company.  Thus why the cable and satellite companies would want it in a special sports package for an extra fee to recoup some of that money.  The $1.30 is in addition to what is already paid to ESPN, which gets more money than any other company in subscriber fees.  It will be $1.30 p/mo for the full year.  Outside of the SEC footprint it is thought to be around $.25.  The Big Ten and FOX Sports co-own BTN and receive about $1.00 per subscriber.

As for blackouts, the SEC does not allow blackouts for its games.  It has had ESPN3 blackouts in the footprint for only PPV and FSN games, but never on TV.

hawg IQ

Quote from: TNhogfan on February 28, 2014, 08:17:39 pm
It is $1.30 per month for each subscriber to the cable or satellite company.  Thus why the cable and satellite companies would want it in a special sports package for an extra fee to recoup some of that money.  The $1.30 is in addition to what is already paid to ESPN, which gets more money than any other company in subscriber fees.  It will be $1.30 p/mo for the full year.  Outside of the SEC footprint it is thought to be around $.25.  The Big Ten and FOX Sports co-own BTN and receive about $1.00 per subscriber.

As for blackouts, the SEC does not allow blackouts for its games.  It has had ESPN3 blackouts in the footprint for only PPV and FSN games, but never on TV.
TNhogFan thanks,good info
go hogs go !

TNhogfan

Here are the SEC games for Nov 1st of the upcoming season as an example of a typical week and how the selections will play out:

Nov. 1
Arkansas at Mississippi State
Auburn at Ole Miss
Florida vs. Georgia (Jacksonville)
Kentucky at Missouri
Tennessee at South Carolina
plus Non Conference games:
ULM@A&M
Old Dominion@Vandy

CBS picks first and probably will take UF-UGA

Then the selection committee, which I think is going to be 6 people - 3 ESPN & 3 from SEC - will divide the rest of the games between:  ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network - 3 games and FSN.  As you can see every game will have a place.  FSN's contract with ESPN expires after this season, which is why they still have games.  CSS' expires at the end of this school year.  SEC-TV is owned by ESPN Regional, so those games are just rolling over to the new Network.

The NewEra

Quote from: TNhogfan on February 28, 2014, 08:24:41 pm
Here are the SEC games for Nov 1st of the upcoming season as an example of a typical week and how the selections will play out:

Nov. 1
Arkansas at Mississippi State
Auburn at Ole Miss
Florida vs. Georgia (Jacksonville)
Kentucky at Missouri
Tennessee at South Carolina
plus Non Conference games:
ULM@A&M
Old Dominion@Vandy

CBS picks first and probably will take UF-UGA

Then the selection committee, which I think is going to be 6 people - 3 ESPN & 3 from SEC - will divide the rest of the games between:  ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network - 3 games and FSN.  As you can see every game will have a place.  FSN's contract with ESPN expires after this season, which is why they still have games.  CSS' expires at the end of this school year.  SEC-TV is owned by ESPN Regional, so those games are just rolling over to the new Network.

I don't know what you do for a living to have this detail of information on this issue, but I'm glad you do.  Thanks very much for the help.

grim_sleeper

Thankfully I don't have to worry about it.   I have the awesome u-verse.  They are the main sponsor of the SEC network and I also get ESPN 3.