Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Network in 2019... Will You Have It?

Started by rhog1, May 01, 2013, 02:00:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

threeNout

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2013, 04:10:35 pm
Not to sound crass but I don't know anyone that still has rabbit ears........................If there is I bet it isn't a big number or are you just trying to be funny?

yea, it's more than you think,   we opted for rabbit ears only and are just fine with it, a lot of people are doing it.

but just considering rural, or poor arkansas households, it's still more than you think, I'd wager it's thousands of households, and tens of thousands of potential viewers. 

rural and poor arkansas households can still produce some pretty incredible talent, hate to see them be further disconnected from the Razorbacks.

moses_007

I guess the best thing about it is that it will be a 24/7 network that you will be able to watch on TV, the computer, tablet, or your smartphone.

They are going to have lots of coverage in other sports, such as golf, track and field, gymnastics and baseball.

LZH

Quote from: threeNout on December 14, 2013, 04:59:44 pm
yea, it's more than you think,   we opted for rabbit ears only and are just fine with it, a lot of people are doing it.

but just considering rural, or poor arkansas households, it's still more than you think, I'd wager it's thousands of households, and tens of thousands of potential viewers. 

rural and poor arkansas households can still produce some pretty incredible talent, hate to see them be further disconnected from the Razorbacks.

This is not unlike how I feel about young people in South Arkansas losing the chance to see games in LR.  I hope the bean counters know what they're doing.

TNhogfan

Quote from: moses_007 on December 14, 2013, 04:53:25 pm
Well, to be honest, I don't like the idea of this network.  I think CBS is dropping the LSU-Arkansas series, so we will lose that one if it isn't on the SEC Network.  Plus, if we only manage to get three games on the network per season, it will really be a setback for many of us who aren't physically able to attend games in person.  I used to buy season tickets to every Little Rock game, but with my condition I am unable to walk up and down steep hills and climb the steps in the stadium like I used to.

For the past three seasons I've been able to watch every single Razorback game.  The games that weren't on ESPN, CBS or Channel 7, I was able to watch on ESPN3 on the computer.  I had to buy the PPV games, except last year I was at my daughter's house in north Fort Worth and got to watch it on ESPN3 for free.
Probably more years than not, the AR-LSU game will be prime time on ESPN or ESPN2.  EVERY game where an SEC team is the home team will be on either CBS, ESPN/2/U or SEC ESPN Network just as they have since 2009.  The only change is no more PPV, syndicated or CSS games and after next year no more FSN games.

By sign on in August most, if not all, major providers will have the Network. The BTN is on all major carriers and also streams games on their site and on a mobile app.  The P12Networks are on most carriers, but DTV and maybe a couple of the cable providers have not picked it up. Disney will have enough leverage with all of their channels that the SEC Network will be on the majority, except perhaps Direct TV as they are getting colder to adding sports.  Probably most people who do not get the Network will be the same people who have been missing games that were PPV, CSS and FSN in the past - so no real change.  Every university will have programming dedicated to their university and to their sports teams that will be seen nationwide. 

ricepig

Much ado about nothing, it will be in 95% of the cable companies by mid-summer, they other 5% will join the morning of the first game. Now, of course you can expect a higher cable bill, like that doesn't happen yearly anyway.

superior_wang

i get the pac12 channel out here, and i cant live without it. Hell yes id get the sec stuff.

moses_007

Quote from: reddogjcss on December 14, 2013, 04:56:53 pm
I will have it some way some how!
If worst comes to worst, we can all gather at a local sports bar to watch the Hogs.

NorthChuckHog

Swine Superior

Quote from: TNhogfan on December 14, 2013, 05:20:51 pm
Probably more years than not, the AR-LSU game will be prime time on ESPN or ESPN2.  EVERY game where an SEC team is the home team will be on either CBS, ESPN/2/U or SEC ESPN Network just as they have since 2009.  The only change is no more PPV, syndicated or CSS games and after next year no more FSN games.

By sign on in August most, if not all, major providers will have the Network. The BTN is on all major carriers and also streams games on their site and on a mobile app.  The P12Networks are on most carriers, but DTV and maybe a couple of the cable providers have not picked it up. Disney will have enough leverage with all of their channels that the SEC Network will be on the majority, except perhaps Direct TV as they are getting colder to adding sports.  Probably most people who do not get the Network will be the same people who have been missing games that were PPV, CSS and FSN in the past - so no real change.  Every university will have programming dedicated to their university and to their sports teams that will be seen nationwide.

I'm not sure where you get your info,but as an employee of DirecTV I can assure you we are not getting colder to adding sports.
Live sports are satellite providers and cable companies most important revenue stream.
As content becomes more packaged into applications from content providers. Live content and more importantly live sports are one of the few things that the audience will watch as it airs.Other content can be recorded or streamed at a later time.
Currently we are renegotiating are Sunday Ticket rights with the NFL and I'm pretty sure once that is resolved the SEC Network deal will be worked on with ESPN.
DirecTv  already pays a good amount for the ESPN networks.So I'm sure they will have a pretty good amount of leverage,where the consumer will not see a substantial increase in billing.

rhames

All games will still be on tv y'all. Chill out

Once it gets closer to August everything will be figured
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ClearEyes

No more games on channel 7.  No more PPV games.  If the Hogs are not the CBS pick they will not be over the air free tv.  All games will be on CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or the new SEC Network.  If it's an away game it may be on another network as home team controls television rights such as he game at Texas Tech next year and upcoming games vs Michigan. Also,  No more games on Razorvision as any games on the web will be on ESPN3. 

ThrillaHog

hoghearted

Verizon FIOS hasn't picked it up yet, either.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Theolesnort

Quote from: rhames on December 15, 2013, 05:53:44 am
All games will still be on tv y'all. Chill out

Once it gets closer to August everything will be figured
Why is this even a thread? Everyone will carry the SEC Network if possible. The Sec is king of college football and in demand.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on December 14, 2013, 04:26:17 pm
That's right.
Skimp on that food - to keep that cable TV on.
HA!!

I didn't say anyone should "skip" did I. You don't always have to buy the most expensive wine to enjoy a drink. Same goes for staples.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Well, to be honest, I don't like the idea of this network. I used to buy season tickets to every Little Rock game, but with my condition I am unable to walk up and down steep hills and climb the steps in the stadium like I used to.

For the past three seasons I've been able to watch every single Razorback game.  The games that weren't on ESPN, CBS or Channel 7, I was able to watch on ESPN3 on the computer.  I had to buy the PPV games, except last year I was at my daughter's house in north Fort Worth and got to watch it on ESPN3 for free.

You've been damn lucky. Sports fans have become spoiled. Not too long ago you were lucky to maybe see three Hog football games including IF they went to a bowl. You want to watch them and not worry about it? Adjust your budget and buy a ticket. It is now easy with the ADA Act for anybody even disabled to get to a seat. They will even bus you from the parking lot right to the stadium. I know where we sit in RRS the row right behind us is for wheelchair accessibility. Only with big name opponent games is it full.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: moses_007 on December 15, 2013, 12:07:47 am
If worst comes to worst, we can all gather at a local sports bar to watch the Hogs.

Actually that's a lot of fun anyway.

woodhog14

Well, to be honest, I don't like the idea of this network.  I think CBS is dropping the LSU-Arkansas series, so we will lose that one if it isn't on the SEC Network.  Plus, if we only manage to get three games on the network per season, it will really be a setback for many of us who aren't physically able to attend games in person.  I used to buy season tickets to every Little Rock game, but with my condition I am unable to walk up and down steep hills and climb the steps in the stadium like I used to.

You will still be able to watch all 12 Hog games next year on TV.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Swine Superior on December 15, 2013, 01:06:12 am
I'm not sure where you get your info,but as an employee of DirecTV I can assure you we are not getting colder to adding sports.
Live sports are satellite providers and cable companies most important revenue stream.
As content becomes more packaged into applications from content providers. Live content and more importantly live sports are one of the few things that the audience will watch as it airs.Other content can be recorded or streamed at a later time.
Currently we are renegotiating are Sunday Ticket rights with the NFL and I'm pretty sure once that is resolved the SEC Network deal will be worked on with ESPN.
DirecTv  already pays a good amount for the ESPN networks.So I'm sure they will have a pretty good amount of leverage,where the consumer will not see a substantial increase in billing.
I hope you are right.  As a DirecTV  subscriber since 2000 I would be pretty mad if they don't get it but they do not have the Pac 12 network because Larry Scott, Pac 12 commissioner, has priced his product way too high.  College football is more a national sport than ever but it still thrives on regional loyalty.  Since I live in California I sure hope DirecTV gets the SEC network or I will be watching some games on the computer! 

TNhogfan

Quote from: ClearEyes on December 15, 2013, 07:36:11 am
No more games on channel 7.  No more PPV games.  If the Hogs are not the CBS pick they will not be over the air free tv.  All games will be on CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or the new SEC Network.  If it's an away game it may be on another network as home team controls television rights such as he game at Texas Tech next year and upcoming games vs Michigan. Also,  No more games on Razorvision as any games on the web will be on ESPN3.
Since 1984, games have been on whatever network carried the home team's games.  Nothing is changing there.  The other is just as it has been except for the PPV, CSS and SEC-TV games now being on one channel instead of multiple.

East Clintwood

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2013, 05:25:18 pm
Much ado about nothing, it will be in 95% of the cable companies by mid-summer, they other 5% will join the morning of the first game. Now, of course you can expect a higher cable bill, like that doesn't happen yearly anyway.

They've given up on the yearly increases.  Comcast is now raising their rates every 4 to 6 months.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LedZepHog on December 14, 2013, 05:11:24 pm
This is not unlike how I feel about young people in South Arkansas losing the chance to see games in LR.  I hope the bean counters know what they're doing.

I grew up in Central Arkansas just 10 miles north of Little Rock. I never went to a game in person at WMS until I was about 14-15 years old. I watched them on TV when they were on back then (it wasn't but a couple of times a year then) and listened on the radio. It didn't matter to me that I didn't go before that. IF you really want to impress young fans from there take them on a whole weekend trip to RRS sometimes and it wouldn't have to be but once or twice and they would be hooked  even moreso just like if they were able to go to one game a year in the Rock. A trip like that with a parent/friends would mean just as much if not more to them. 

ricepig

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 15, 2013, 01:30:24 pm
They've given up on the yearly increases.  Comcast is now raising their rates every 4 to 6 months.

True, Suddenlink tries to match everyone's increases.

ChicoHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 15, 2013, 02:42:36 pm
The problem with DirecTv is the lack of choice when it comes to programming packages.  90+% of the channels DirecTV and DISH offers are worthless and cannot be selected or deselected AND the package price adjusted appropriately. 

This model has to change.

If Direct and DISH seek a price increase to add the SEC Network, the consumer should have the option to drop channels they do not want in order to offset the price increase. 

Yes, I know this is wishful thinking but that is the way it should be. 
yeah, too bad we can't drop all the stupid shopping channels!  And after that the Oprah channel, Bravo, MTV and Logo!

Hoggish1

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 15, 2013, 02:42:36 pm

If Direct and DISH seek a price increase to add the SEC Network, the consumer should have the option to drop channels they do not want in order to offset the price increase. 

Yes, I know this is wishful thinking but that is the way it should be. 

I would love nothing better than to have al a carte programming, but it's not going to happen.

The way it should be is never the way we're going to have it...

three hog night

Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 15, 2013, 06:44:25 pm
yeah, too bad we can't drop all the stupid shopping channels!  And after that the Oprah channel, Bravo, MTV and Logo!

You can block them out in your favorites.

MountieDawg

AT&T U-verse is the first national distributor of the SEC Network
SEC!

MountieDawg

RIGHT NOW.... UVERSE is the only provider in NW Arkansas that has signed up to provide the SEC Network.
SEC!

razorbackkid

Won't be getting it here unless I fork over more $$$$$.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

razorbackkid

Quote from: three hog night on December 16, 2013, 09:04:02 am
Hey Mods, please move this to SEC sports
This relates to fans who want to watch the Hogs.   Give it a rest.  Please.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Hog_One_Stop

jbcarol

SEC Sports ‏@SEC 22 Dec
Want to make sure you have the @SECNetwork when it launches? Log on to http://www.getSECnetwork.com  today. #SEC
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Josh Krulewitz ‏@jksports 3h
Tebow is 1st cfb analyst hired for SEC Network (launches in Aug.), joining @finebaum & Joe Tessitore http://es.pn/1iqt7Hx
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jeff Long ‏@jefflongUA 31 Dec
"@63smitty: @jefflongUA @SECNetwork only one network carries secnetwork is uverse. Dumb" Patience my good fellow patience!!!

jbcarol

Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID  Feb 19
DirecTV sends email to SEC fans saying it won't carry @secnetwork. Gets Twitter-crushed, now says it's negotiating...

Clay Travis ‏@ClayTravisBGID  Feb 19
Here you go. RT @DIRECTV: Travis we want you & others to know we are indeed still negotiating with SEC Network to bring it to DIRECTV

jbcarol

Georgia Bulldogs ‏@UGAAthletics  Feb 19
Ask your cable provider to carry @SECNetwork by visiting http://GetSECNetwork.com , and you'll receive a thank you letter from a great Bulldog!

The NewEra

Maybe someone can help me out with this question.  I'm hearing some things that make me wonder if this is actually going to be an improved venue for the fan.  I'm certainly not well studied on this issue, but here are my concerns.

From what I'm hearing, there will be 3-4 games on a primary ESPN / SEC channel and the rest of the games will be on ESPN3.  If that is the case then a lot of the older generation who are not computer savvy will miss out on the games entirely.  As for me I can HDMI directly to my t.v., but even then I won't be able to record the game if it's only broadcast via ESPN3.  Not being able to record the games is a big deal to me. 

Does anyone on here know what the actual format for the games is going to be with regard to being able to (or not) get each game in HD via a network channel?

LZH

If they're gonna be on Espn3, does that mean they will still be blacked out down here?  I'd be interested in this as well.

DukeOfPork

I don't even have the option to get ESPN3 on my cable system here.  That's the first I've heard of that.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: DukeOfPork on February 28, 2014, 01:27:40 pm
I don't even have the option to get ESPN3 on my cable system here.  That's the first I've heard of that.

That's because it should be called ESPNInternet.  It's not on cable.  Try ESPN3.com.

tbhogfan

If I am understanding correctly, we will probably see LESS Razorback Football on TV, and will have to depend on ESPN3 for several games per year.   It looks like we are losing our local SEC game of the week, and there is a distinct possibility that some of the larger providers will not carry the SEC network at all.

There's nothing like trading a 60 inch High Def TV and great surround sound for a 16 inch laptop screen and crappy laptop speakers.   And that's IF your carrier picks up the network at all (I think AT&T U-Verse has, but that is not an option for many Arkansans).

If I am understanding their FAQ correctly, this is is a travesty.
Go Hogs!

tbhogfan

Quote from: LedZepHog on February 28, 2014, 01:18:01 pm
If they're gonna be on Espn3, does that mean they will still be blacked out down here?  I'd be interested in this as well.
Could be, also if your TV provider hasn't picked up the network, you won't be able to see the games at all.

30. How do I get the digital part of the SEC Network?
Provided you are a customer who receives the network from your cable, satellite or telco provider, you can contact that provider and get a username and password which will allow you to access the content on computers, tablets, mobile phones and other consumer devices like Xbox.

35.  Will local affiliates (over-the-air nets) broadcast my team's games if our region/cable provider does not carry the service (Ole Miss fans got this when they played on LHN)?
No. SEC Network programming and events will only be made available on the SEC Network channel or digital platforms.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/sec-network-faq/
Go Hogs!

ricepig

It will end up being fine, we'll see as many games if not more. They aren't going to limit the SEC Network to AT+T, their numbers won't work in that situation. Sure, there will be last second negotiations, and your cable bill will resemble a house payment from 30 years ago, but we'll have football.

The NewEra

Quote from: tbhogfan on February 28, 2014, 01:40:41 pm
Could be, also if your TV provider hasn't picked up the network, you won't be able to see the games at all.

30. How do I get the digital part of the SEC Network?
Provided you are a customer who receives the network from your cable, satellite or telco provider, you can contact that provider and get a username and password which will allow you to access the content on computers, tablets, mobile phones and other consumer devices like Xbox.

35.  Will local affiliates (over-the-air nets) broadcast my team's games if our region/cable provider does not carry the service (Ole Miss fans got this when they played on LHN)?
No. SEC Network programming and events will only be made available on the SEC Network channel or digital platforms.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/sec-network-faq/

With the information you have provided it appears there will be a great many Razorback fans that will be extremely upset.  I will be one of them.  I'm willing to pay for an SEC network, but I want to watch a game on t.v. in HD and be able to record it. 

Professor Psychosis

I dream of a day that I can go to the SEC website and purchase the option to stream the SEC Network directly to my PC or tablet for a subscription period.  I don't want satellite or cable (other than cable internet).  I don't watch anything other than football and some basketball.  Any shows that I like I watch on Amazon Prime or Netflix marathon style when I want to.

Last year, I purchased the Madden football game for PS3, but not really for the game.  Amazon was offering the chance to watch NFL Sunday Ticket online for an additional $40 with purchase of the game, so I jumped on that.  Of course, they were trying to sell more DirecTV subscriptions by also offering $10 off per month on DirecTV for a year, but I just told the website when I was signing up that I couldn't get DirecTV in my area, and I got to watch Sunday Ticket on my PC/Tablet for the entire season.  It was really nice.  I hope they offer a similar plan this year.

grayhawg

Cox was saying earlier, "at this time we have no plans to carry the SEC network."  Hos anyone heard anything new?

The NewEra

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on February 28, 2014, 02:13:59 pm
I dream of a day that I can go to the SEC website and purchase the option to stream the SEC Network directly to my PC or tablet for a subscription period.  I don't want satellite or cable (other than cable internet).  I don't watch anything other than football and some basketball.  Any shows that I like I watch on Amazon Prime or Netflix marathon style when I want to.

Last year, I purchased the Madden football game for PS3, but not really for the game.  Amazon was offering the chance to watch NFL Sunday Ticket online for an additional $40 with purchase of the game, so I jumped on that.  Of course, they were trying to sell more DirecTV subscriptions by also offering $10 off per month on DirecTV for a year, but I just told the website when I was signing up that I couldn't get DirecTV in my area, and I got to watch Sunday Ticket on my PC/Tablet for the entire season.  It was really nice.  I hope they offer a similar plan this year.

I can appreciate the fact that this would work for you.  But it would completely ruin my game day experience when I'm watching at home.  Thinking about the 70" HD t.v. being blank while I watch on the p.c. doesn't excite me at all.

rhames

Only sucks if you have a provider who doesn't carry the network

I bet come August all of the providers will

This is a good thing. All football and basketball games will be on tv. No more PPv.  Stop freaking out.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: The NewEra on February 28, 2014, 02:23:12 pm
I can appreciate the fact that this would work for you.  But it would completely ruin my game day experience when I'm watching at home.  Thinking about the 70" HD t.v. being blank while I watch on the p.c. doesn't excite me at all.

Run your HD cable from TV to computer and enjoy the game on that 70"  ;)