Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema: I didn't leave my house for 48 hours after losing that game

Started by gchamblee, January 23, 2017, 07:27:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Bret-Bielema-I-dont-think-I-left-my-house-for-48-hours-after-losing-that-game

"To lose that game the way we did, for 48 hours I don't think I left my house," Bielema said of the Belk Bowl. "It was a dead period in recruiting and I wanted to take a moment to collect. I had to have some tough conversations with people, professionally, about where things are and where we needed to go."

"We just played differently," he said. "There was so much of a 'We're not going to let this happen again,' everybody going into the locker room, and then you almost talk yourself into it. Drew Morgan, who had never fumbled, fumbles the last two plays of his career. Things uncharacteristic to who we are, that hurts you.

Coaches look over everything in the offseason. That's especially important in this situation. Bielema said he first approached defensive backs coach Paul Rhoads about the idea of becoming defensive coordinator when the season ended. When Robb Smith went to Minnesota, Bielema spoke with candidates, including Bob Diaco, and ultimately moved Rhoads up. Bielema doesn't expect to have any other changes among the full-time staff.

3kgthog

What's the upside to throwing Morgan under the bus again? That's probably in the top 5 of rules you don't break in order to keep a cohesive team. The old, "We win, they did it. We lose, I did it."

onebadrubi

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 23, 2017, 07:34:37 am
What's the upside to throwing Morgan under the bus again? That's probably in the top 5 of rules you don't break in order to keep a cohesive team. The old, "We win, they did it. We lose, I did it."

That's not throwing Morgan under the bus.  Geeze you troll

hoglady

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2017, 07:36:35 am

But it might have been best to not use a single player's mistakes as an example.
It was a total team collapse from the coaching staff down to the last walk-on.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hog Solo

So our coach hid in a house for two days instead of leading his team,  great.

DeltaBoy

Glad to see he really cares about what he is doing and the results on the field.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Next1_04

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2017, 07:36:35 am

If you have the mental capacity of this poster, yes, it is throwing him under the bus. I agree with you though, no way was this throwing anyone under the bus.

southeasthog

I can see the stupid coming out in this thread from the same posters.

gchamblee

if you look for negative, you will probably find it.

gchamblee

Quote from: hoglady on January 23, 2017, 07:41:16 am
But it might have been best to not use a single player's mistakes as an example.
It was a total team collapse from the coaching staff down to the last walk-on.

i thought it was rather complimentary of Drew Morgan. I wouldn't mind being used as an example of of how reliable i am under normal circumstances. like i said, if you look for negative you will surely find it....even if you have to stretch a little to achieve it.

hawgon

That's all fine and dandy.  But he supposedly did some pretty thorough self evaluation after Mizzou too and so on and so forth.  At this point, I just want to see results.

I know people write stories and he gives quotes so he isn't in complete control of what is written, but I don't want to hear any more about it.  Just go out there and do better.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 23, 2017, 07:42:29 am

what leading did he skip out on? give me an example of something he could have done as a leader that he didnt do, i dare you. the season was over. there were no meetings, no practices, no team get togethers. please tell us what he hid from. give us an example.

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on January 23, 2017, 07:50:53 am
That's all fine and dandy.  But he supposedly did some pretty thorough self evaluation after Mizzou too and so on and so forth.  At this point, I just want to see results.

I know people write stories and he gives quotes so he isn't in complete control of what is written, but I don't want to hear any more about it.  Just go out there and do better.

it is the offseason. maybe you should avoid message boards and football sites until the season starts up again because there wont be any results to dissect until then. it is quite stupid to say "i don't want to hear any more" while clicking links that tell you more..... and then complaining about it. it's like saying "im sick of sex and nudity" while reading your playboy subscription.

Hog Solo

Quote from: gchamblee on January 23, 2017, 07:51:46 am
what leading did he skip out on? give me an example of something he could have done as a leader that he didnt do, i dare you. the season was over. there were no meetings, no practices, no team get togethers. please tell us what he hid from. give us an example.

How bout being in your office in case your players or coaches want to speak to you.  How bout being in the expensive film room we have and review the last two games to ensure we never have those atrocities of games again.  Instead he was probably watching real housewives of whatever with Jen and planning his next trip to the Bahamas after recruiting season.

code red

All of it sounds like excuses to me. Typically when a coach admits stuff like this the next year is a struggle....IMHO.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

texas tush hog

His team had not returned yet. Just shows he felt as bad as I did after that game. Being real.

Redhogs

"Bielema doesn't expect to have any other changes among the full-time staff."  That's the biggest news in the story, and most disturbing. D line and special teams need serious coaching upgrade.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hog Solo

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 23, 2017, 08:01:13 am
His team had not returned yet. Just shows he felt as bad as I did after that game. Being real.

I don't want a coach that's real.  And is realness is not real,  he's painting a picture of himself being sad so fans feel sympathetic.  Ok, who cares.  Coach a team and win games.  Tell me something football related, I don't care about your emotions.

Tusks

I didn't leave the house for two days because I didn't want to get pelted with tomatoes.   :)
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Doyle Hograves

Quote from: gchamblee on January 23, 2017, 07:54:35 am
it is the offseason. maybe you should avoid message boards and football sites until the season starts up again because there wont be any results to dissect until then. it is quite stupid to say "i don't want to hear any more" while clicking links that tell you more..... and then complaining about it. it's like saying "im sick of sex and nudity" while reading your playboy subscription.

Playboy doesn't do nudity any more...  :'(
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

870hogfan

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Redhogs on January 23, 2017, 08:01:32 am
"Bielema doesn't expect to have any other changes among the full-time staff."  That's the biggest news in the story, and most disturbing. D line and special teams need serious coaching upgrade.

And yet I think I saw another quote from him where he said that he and Paul would be working together to fill out the defensive staff. They aren't finished though I am sure that some of you would like to find another tidbit to gripe about.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 23, 2017, 08:04:49 am
I don't want a coach that's real.  And is realness is not real,  he's painting a picture of himself being sad so fans feel sympathetic.  Ok, who cares.  Coach a team and win games.  Tell me something football related, I don't care about your emotions.

the reality is, you will never approve of anything he does. your criticism of cbb has no credibility because you look for something to be critical of, even if you have to manufacture a reason. unfortunately, there is no mechanism in place to keep you from littering every thread on this site with your crap. coming to hogville to enjoy some football info is like going to mexico for vacation... you have to suffer the local water. posters like you are the local water.

King Kong

So much dumb in this thread already. Looking forward to seeing the monster it will become

For purely entertainment purposes on my end

gchamblee

Quote from: Doyle Hograves on January 23, 2017, 08:06:02 am
Playboy doesn't do nudity any more...  :'(

i did not know this. shows how long it has been since i have browsed a magazine rack lol.

onebadrubi

Quote from: code red on January 23, 2017, 07:57:40 am
All of it sounds like excuses to me. Typically when a coach admits stuff like this the next year is a struggle....IMHO.

Got any examples?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Redhogs on January 23, 2017, 08:01:32 am

He's already said he expects the 10th coach rule to pass and that coach will have a huge emphasis on special teams.

Has anyone really thought out this 10th coach thing?  You are basically adding 120 jobs to college football...  Anyone know where 120 coaches are currently unemployed waiting on a phone call?  It will be interesting

Hog Solo

Quote from: gchamblee on January 23, 2017, 08:11:06 am
the reality is, you will never approve of anything he does. your criticism of cbb has no credibility because you look for something to be critical of, even if you have to manufacture a reason. unfortunately, there is no mechanism in place to keep you from littering every thread on this site with your crap. coming to hogville to enjoy some football info is like going to mexico for vacation... you have to suffer the local water. posters like you are the local water.

And you are the one tourist that decided to drink the local water.  If we are trying to be clever,  you are the tourist that believes all is well on the hotel strip in Cancun while be ambivalent about all the crime and poverty the next street over.  You are the tourist and the crime and poverty is discontention in the locker room and lack of leadership from our coaches.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2017, 08:20:13 am
He's already said he expects the 10th coach rule to pass and that coach will have a huge emphasis on special teams.

Has anyone really thought out this 10th coach thing?  You are basically adding 120 jobs to college football...  Anyone know where 120 coaches are currently unemployed waiting on a phone call?  It will be interesting

They aren't finished filling out the current staff either, let alone something that may not happen until next spring.
Go Hogs Go!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 23, 2017, 07:56:54 am
How bout being in your office in case your players or coaches want to speak to you.  How bout being in the expensive film room we have and review the last two games to ensure we never have those atrocities of games again.  Instead he was probably watching real housewives of whatever with Jen and planning his next trip to the Bahamas after recruiting season.

That's funny, thinking any players would be around during the holidays. It's called vacation. Not the kind of vacation you're doing here with your bowels.
[CENSORED]!

Hogwild

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 23, 2017, 07:56:54 am

The team returned on the 30th, the next two days would have been New Year's Eve & New Year's Day, I doubt the offices were even open.  Watching the bowl games (LSU/Auburn/UGA/Bama) live would be just as productive as previous game flim.

Nosboar Accubond

Youngsta71701

If I'm not mistaken everybody went home for Christmas break after the game including the players. The reason I know is because one of those players stay two houses up from me. So what team was he going to lead?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hobhog

Good grief. HILARIOUS -post of the year.

Hog Solo

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 23, 2017, 08:53:20 am
If I'm not mistaken everybody went home for Christmas break after the game including the players. The reason I know is because one of those players stay two houses up from me. So what team was he going to lead?

It was a bad point.  I understand kids were not there,  but when you come out with statements like this you have to look at this guys leadership.  He's coming out saying he couldn't leave his house for 2 days to gain sympathy. I don't look to a guy in that position to make me better as a player, and I don't look at him now as a fan and be encouraged that he was cowering in his house for 2 days.  You shouldn't look at a coach and think man this guy really needs a hug...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 23, 2017, 08:59:57 am
It was a bad point.  I understand kids were not there,  but when you come out with statements like this you have to look at this guys leadership.  He's coming out saying he couldn't leave his house for 2 days to gain sympathy. I don't look to a guy in that position to make me better as a player, and I don't look at him now as a fan and be encouraged that he was cowering in his house for 2 days.  You shouldn't look at a coach and think man this guy really needs a hug...
LOL...I get what your saying but you have to understand that coaches are humans too. I'm sure he hurts just as much as us fans do after a tough loss, probably more. Especially a tough loss that should have been a win. He just had to take a little time to sit back and reflect on what the hell just happened.

I don't trust everything he does at a 100% rate but I still have a little bit of trust in him and what he's trying to do. He's trying to build this team into a total team at every position and that takes time. What's the saying? Brick by Brick...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Hog Solo

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 23, 2017, 09:12:08 am
LOL...I get what your saying but you have to understand that coaches are humans too. I'm sure he hurts just as much as us fans do after a tough loss, probably more. Especially a tough loss that should have been a win. He just had to take a little time to sit back and reflect on what the hell just happened.

I don't trust everything he does at a 100% rate but I still have a little bit of trust in him and what he's trying to do. He's trying to build this team into a total team at every position and that takes time. What's the saying? Brick by Brick...

Great points,  and a perspective I should definitely try to get behind.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Did you read the remaining statement:  "I had to have some tough conversations..." ? 

He'll probably win 9-10 games next year and you'll complain about "HOW" they won.  THEY BARELY BEAT AUBURN... FLY A BANNER!!!!! 

Hog Solo

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 23, 2017, 09:18:47 am
Did you read the remaining statement:  "I had to have some tough conversations..." ? 

He'll probably win 9-10 games next year and you'll complain about "HOW" they won.  THEY BARELY BEAT AUBURN... FLY A BANNER!!!!!

I hope we do win 9 or 10 games next year.  His action and reactions he is stating publicly make me think that's it's not in the books however.

Vantage 8 dude

First, as others have pointed out, the players were gone for New Years weekend. How was that fact going to make a darn bit of difference to his "leadership"? Secondly, if he's supposedly doing some self-reflecting and self-examination of both himself and the program what difference does it make WHERE he does the reflection? Not sure by merely going to the office or elsewhere it would have necessarily made any difference whatsoever. You say he was "cowering" in his house; well that's obviously YOUR interpretation. That's all well and good given this is a fan gossip board; however, on the other side of the discussion one could argue that he just stayed in a place that he felt most comfortable in analyzing the issues at hand. Nothing wrong with that as long as he found the appropriate place for HIM to sort things out.

Wherever he went (or didn't) I would much prefer he spend some time truly examining and critiquing what did and didn't go right this past season. Better that than just "blowing it off" and saying everything's fine and nothing to see. Geez....give the guy a friggin' break!!

Hog Solo

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 23, 2017, 09:30:18 am
First, as others have pointed out, the players were gone for New Years weekend. How was that fact going to make a darn bit of difference to his "leadership"? Secondly, if he's supposedly doing some self-reflecting and self-examination of both himself and the program what difference does it make WHERE he does the reflection? Not sure by merely going to the office or elsewhere it would have necessarily made any difference whatsoever. You say he was "cowering" in his house; well that's obviously YOUR interpretation. That's all well and good given this is a fan gossip board; however, on the other side of the discussion one could argue that he just stayed in a place that he felt most comfortable in analyzing the issues at hand. Nothing wrong with that as long as he found the appropriate place for HIM to sort things out.

Wherever he went (or didn't) I would much prefer he spend some time truly examining and critiquing what did and didn't go right this past season. Better that than just "blowing it off" and saying everything's fine and nothing to see. Geez....give the guy a friggin' break!!

Done.

Vantage 8 dude

BILLYBOB

I imagine CBB goes about 5 months...from early August through December...without really fully taking a day off. Regardless of the outcome of the Bowl game, he was probably going to take a few days to rejuvenate. If we'd won, he probably would've gone out for dinner and enjoyed being showered with adoration. As it turned out, he stayed in, shut the blinds, and I imagine ate mac-n-cheese with bacon. Maybe I'm projecting.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

hogfan14

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 23, 2017, 09:30:18 am
Better that than just "blowing it off" and saying everything's fine and nothing to see.

Or telling everyone to SMILE lol

WaltKowalski

We will win games under BB and lose games under BB. I doubt he was really at hame pouting. He just has to say stuff like that because average Joe fb fan is very immature and needs to feel that the coach feels his pain. He doesn't feel your pain any more than a surgeon feels your pain when he operates.

This is a business and he is making money. The money is what he cares about. The money is why he left Wisky. If he achieves success the money will be why he moves on.

Its entertainment... enjoy it or change the channel. But stop crying on Face Book, Twitter, Pintrest or Hogville.

And do not think are above being manipulated. People have agendas.

LZH

ifghog

Quote from: Hog Solo on January 23, 2017, 08:04:49 am
I like a coach being real.....some of you would find something wrong no matter what....I am disappointed with last years results but damn man....really...you must be one cold emotionless person to make a comment like that....

Athog

LOL! Worst troll ever! Get a new story!!