Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our New DC PC

Started by RebelW, January 21, 2017, 05:04:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelW

RebelW

I really like why he has to say about fundamentals, and just the tenacity he brings. It might not be what some of you want but I believe it's what we need

factchecker

Thank you for posting these.  :razorback:
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RebelW

lumphog

WE.....got the right guy!!!!!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: lumphog on January 21, 2017, 05:44:51 pm
WE.....got the right guy!!!!!
No way.  The Hogvidiots don't like the hire.  He can't be the right guy.
All Gas, No Brakes!

lumphog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 21, 2017, 05:46:17 pm
Well .... They're a bunch of  :-\           ;)

searkhogfan

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 21, 2017, 05:46:17 pm

Hogvidiots ???  Is that yours?  Either way, I like it... :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Styflin

1 year of experience with the 34 defense and that was his final year at Iowa St. That is surprising.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Styflin on January 21, 2017, 06:51:17 pm
1 year of experience with the 34 defense and that was his final year at Iowa St. That is surprising.

Well that was as a base defense. He did elude to running 3-4 formations in certain situation.

3-4 was used in the video below
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bta03I7dwEk"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RebelW

Love the video. Wasn't running many exotic blitzes, just played fundementally sound

Styflin

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 21, 2017, 06:57:34 pm
Well that was as a base defense. He did elude to running 3-4 formations in certain situation.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bta03I7dwEk"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lots of DC use various formations in certain situations. Only having 1 full year of actually running (not even as DC) the 34 is surprising. It feels like Coach B is making a major change and giving it to a guy that hasn't ran it very much, nor installed it.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: searkhogfan on January 21, 2017, 06:24:37 pm

Hogvidiots ???  Is that yours?  Either way, I like it... :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Feel free to use it.  I haven't got a copyright on it yet.
All Gas, No Brakes!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Styflin on January 21, 2017, 07:01:35 pm
Lots of DC use various formations in certain situations. Only having 1 full year of actually running (not even as DC) the 34 is surprising. It feels like Coach B is making a major change and giving it to a guy that hasn't ran it very much, nor installed it.

I'm assuming you didn't even bother looking at the video. High % of 3-4

gchamblee

Quote from: Styflin on January 21, 2017, 07:01:35 pm

it "feels like" you have no idea what you're talking about

Styflin

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 21, 2017, 09:05:07 pm
I'm assuming you didn't even bother looking at the video. High % of 3-4

Come on. I'm just going by what the man said in the interview.

Styflin

Quote from: gchamblee on January 21, 2017, 10:05:34 pm
it "feels like" you have no idea what you're talking about

Did you listen to the interview? Sheesh

PorkRinds

When he mentioned the part about the expertise in the room as it gets finalized and how it would help transition to the 3-4 leads me to believe they may bring in a new DL coach with 3-4 experience.

LZH

Quote from: Styflin on January 21, 2017, 10:24:27 pm
Did you listen to the interview? Sheesh

Kinda hard to when the whole thing sounds like it was recorded with a $3.99 Radio Shack karaoke microphone. Can't whoever is taping these pick up a Shure SM57?

presidenthog

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 21, 2017, 10:52:32 pm
When he mentioned the part about the expertise in the room as it gets finalized and how it would help transition to the 3-4 leads me to believe they may bring in a new DL coach with 3-4 experience.
Don't be suprised when it happens.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: presidenthog on January 22, 2017, 03:00:00 am
Don't be suprised when it happens.

That wouldn't be Partridge then..

RedyorNot

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 21, 2017, 10:52:32 pm

As well as the new DB coach I'd assume.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 21, 2017, 06:57:34 pm

Drawing conclusions from one game is no way supportive of a good OR bad coach. One could do the same thing for Robb Smith, our former DC who for whatever reason didn't do much exotic things but tried to play just fundamentally sound

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 22, 2017, 10:42:34 am
Drawing conclusions from one game is no way supportive of a good OR bad coach. One could do the same thing for Robb Smith, our former DC who for whatever reason didn't do much exotic things but tried to play just fundamentally sound

Yet Paul Rhoads did it for 8 season with success. Which you refuse to give credit too.

azhog10

Quote from: RebelW on January 21, 2017, 07:01:08 pm
Love the video. Wasn't running many exotic blitzes, just played fundementally sound
Oh yay! Sounds like the previous DC's and the bend but don't break approach.

RebelW

Quote from: azhog10 on January 22, 2017, 07:19:15 pm
Oh yay! Sounds like the previous DC's and the bend but don't break approach.
That shows you know very little about defense. When you hold players accountable for playing fundementally sound and tackling like you supposed to while blitzing at the right times makes every bit of difference in the world. CRS defenses did not play fundementally sound and my 13 year old could tell when we were fixing to blitz or not. So yeah.. "OH YAY"

JoeyCapital

What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: RebelW on January 21, 2017, 05:06:33 pm
I really like why he has to say about fundamentals, and just the tenacity he brings. It might not be what some of you want but I believe it's what we need
Totally agree with your assessment. Yep, while it goes without saying it starts with having the athletes, at the same time if they can't execute the fundamentals such as tackling, covering receivers, shedding blocks, etc. it really doesn't matter in the end. Talent without the ability to execute the basics will only take you so far. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 22, 2017, 06:30:30 pm
Yet Paul Rhoads did it for 8 season with success. Which you refuse to give credit too.

I've not once not given him credit.  I do however prerequisite things like calling that auburn defense great.  They did some good things, yes.  But they got the ball ran at them by teams not even know for running the ball.  Their defense could not stop teams from running late on them to put a game away.  These are things that scare me, yes.  Do I think PR is bad for us? No!  I think he will improve this defense and I hold open optimism about him.  I think he helped our secondary last year as well.  It was the first we've seen DB's play up and not 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 4's.  He took away the free and easy seem routes and even thos slants we use to allow teams to march down our throats.  The guy is most likely going to be an upgrade here. 

Mid season and late season when you and others were calling for him to be our DC, I called his name low hanging fruit.  I said that because it is easy to mention his name because it was already on staff, but I would never make a hire or promotion without viewing the "market" so to say.  Personal opinion only.  THat is all...  Never have I not given PR credit.   

azhog10

Quote from: RebelW on January 22, 2017, 07:39:51 pm
That shows you know very little about defense. When you hold players accountable for playing fundementally sound and tackling like you supposed to while blitzing at the right times makes every bit of difference in the world. CRS defenses did not play fundementally sound and my 13 year old could tell when we were fixing to blitz or not. So yeah.. "OH YAY"
When your guys aren't as fast, strong, or gifted as the other guy you have to be creative. We aren't willing to be creative and it sounds like much the same. Base defense has little to do with it. If you can't get pressure with four, we aren't going to with three.

Shows how little you know about defense.

RebelW

Quote from: azhog10 on January 22, 2017, 10:37:07 pm
When your guys aren't as fast, strong, or gifted as the other guy you have to be creative. We aren't willing to be creative and it sounds like much the same. Base defense has little to do with it. If you can't get pressure with four, we aren't going to with three.

Agree to disagree

PorkRinds

Quote from: azhog10 on January 22, 2017, 10:37:07 pm

So the fact that they said it will give them more options awith where to bring pressure and they can line up in any number of formations means they aren't going to be creative? Maybe we have different definitions of creative.

RebelW

So coaching doesn't matter as long as the other team has more talent, then you can't win at a high level. Ask Bill Bellichick if that's the case.. Only big name he has is Tom Brady. The rest are guys nobody wanted..

onebadrubi

Quote from: RebelW on January 23, 2017, 07:41:09 am
So coaching doesn't matter as long as the other team has more talent, then you can't win at a high level. Ask Bill Bellichick if that's the case.. Only big name he has is Tom Brady. The rest are guys nobody wanted..

I know the point you are trying to make but not a great example. He is still dealing with NFL athletes that any team would take. College is a bit different, he puts guys in spots to succeed using their talent they have. 

RebelW

Apparently they aren't nfl talent he hired one that was working in jibber sports last week

azhog10

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 23, 2017, 07:00:35 am
So the fact that they said it will give them more options awith where to bring pressure and they can line up in any number of formations means they aren't going to be creative? Maybe we have different definitions of creative.
Having options to do something and actually doing it are two separate things.

azhog10

Quote from: RebelW on January 23, 2017, 07:41:09 am
No one said coaching doesn't matter. What is being said is you can't expect our guys to do the things Bama's guys do. We have to get creative and do things different. We don't.

PorkRinds

Quote from: azhog10 on January 23, 2017, 12:26:15 pm
Having options to do something and actually doing it are two separate things.

You said that's what it sounded like from the presser. That's the opposite of what it sounded like.  Maybe the execution will be bad or maybe it won't, but it doesn't sound like what you say it sounds like.

azhog10

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 23, 2017, 12:29:06 pm
You said that's what it sounded like from the presser. That's the opposite of what it sounded like.  Maybe the execution will be bad or maybe it won't, but it doesn't sound like what you say it sounds like.
It sure did to me. Sounded familiar to previous D.C. hiring presser.

Hog Solo

I think the hire should work out.

nchogg

The DC is not a lone ranger. It takes many phases and position coaches doing their job. The DC is responsible to make sure each position coach is teaching and keeping their players in sync with the scheme. If some parts of the defense are lacking it is the responsibility of the DC and HC to get it corrected even if it means stepping on another coaches toes and taking over their positions. I don't know what to fully expect from PR but he seems to have an attitude which is a good thing. Make your position coaches accountable. If a GA is doing a better job than the position coach then put the position coach at the back. Every job that I have worked my employer has always made employees accountable and if someone is not pulling their weight they have been known to put more on the producers and put the lackey where they don't interfere. I could see too many players out of position last year and celebrating after they make a good play and then get burned on the next because they are not lined up. Those were some of the biggest issues last year. Make a play, don't pat yourself on the back until the game is over or you will continue to get burned. If you don't have blood in your eyes the other team will intimidate you. Lets get it done.

DeltaBoy

I want to see a solid mean D like we saw in the 2000 Cotton Bowl.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The Boar War

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 22, 2017, 08:03:09 pm
I've not once not given him credit.  I do however prerequisite things like calling that auburn defense great.  They did some good things, yes.  But they got the ball ran at them by teams not even know for running the ball.  Their defense could not stop teams from running late on them to put a game away.  These are things that scare me, yes.  Do I think PR is bad for us? No!  I think he will improve this defense and I hold open optimism about him.

I imagine it was hard to keep that Auburn team together.  Tuberville was fired right before our game and we've seen how a team can give up if the chips are down.  Not an excuse just maybe a reason why they tended to give up more points towards the end of games.

Hawgboy64

Better fundamentals, everyone on the field know & executing their executing assignments with more diversity(blitzes, slants, stunts ect.) is what I am hoping to see this year.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on January 26, 2017, 12:38:14 pm
Better fundamentals, everyone on the field know & executing their executing assignments with more diversity(blitzes, slants, stunts ect.) is what I am hoping to see this year.
better fundamentals will go a long way.  I don't expect us to be elite, but merely mediocre would a substantial improvement.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 26, 2017, 01:17:01 pm
better fundamentals will go a long way.  I don't expect us to be elite, but merely mediocre would a substantial improvement.

Yep. I'd love a mediocre defense next season. Shoot for the middle boys! Lol

Pork Twain

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 22, 2017, 10:42:34 am
Except we were not fundamentally sound
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawgboy64

To me, we looked like a "punch drunk boxer on his heels" much of the year.  I would rather take some chances with some stunts or blitzes than just keep taking it on the chin. Just my opinion.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on January 26, 2017, 02:24:07 pm
To me, we looked like a "punch drunk boxer on his heels" much of the year.  I would rather take some chances with some stunts or blitzes than just keep taking it on the chin. Just my opinion.
the problem is when you take chances  you are going to take it in the chin more often.  the team needs to be mentally tougher to be able to take those hits and still bounce back and be focused.

but I agree there seemed to be a bit of "oh no not this again' self fulfilling prophecy going on.

I'm glad we have some new leadership on the defensive side of the ball.  that alone should bring some new energy.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.