Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

An opinion....

Started by bjbuatamu, January 18, 2017, 03:18:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bjbuatamu

University of Arkansas academic leadership is from the Big Ten, athletic leadership is from the Big East (or whatever conference Pitt is in now), and our football program is led by a Head Coach from the Big Ten. We need leadership and coaches who know Arkansas first, and the SEC second (in particular the SEC West.) 

In my opinion, what this all means is that Arkansas can be a 9-3 team on a regular basis, IF we recruit Texas.  And when recruiting Texas, you recruit speed.  Coaches are interesting individuals.  A team is running the ball at ease and throws when not necessary.  A team puts no pressure on the opposing team's quarterback and gives him more than enough time to find an open receiver.  X's and O's do not seem difficult.  What is difficult is finding the athletes, in particular speedy athletes, who can perform fundamental tasks.  It is even more difficult when ESPN, social media, and our own fans have declared that Fayetteville is an impossible place to recruit to.  OU, OSU, TCU, Baylor, A&M, etc. (and even Alabama with it's freshman quarterback) are making a living off of Texans.  So it seems is the University of Arkansas enrollment. 

And then one must throw in the fact that adults are following the "tweets" of 17 year old children.  Times have changed since I was at a student at the U of A.  We had an Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and Sugar Bowl appearance all with recruits I had never heard of before they set foot on the field, i.e., Kevin Scanlon, Ron Calcagni, Ben Cowins, Steve Little, Ish Ordonez, etc.  So, if I were the leader of the program, I would have listened to Senator Pryor (an Arkansas man with the best interest of the program and the University in mind) and started winning before demolition.   

Just a thought, but.... hire Tim Horton away from Auburn as AD.  Open the checkbook for Brent Venables...a man who knows Texas recruiting, and more importantly, has beaten Alabama. 

I enjoy everyone's posts!  Go Hogs Go!

GoHogzzGo

Fair point. I think it all comes down to coaching. Wherever they are from. Saban and Meyer are most successful in recent memory. Neither had SEC roots, and were able to recruit where neeeded and win.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

i did not enjoy your 2nd to last paragraph.

RagingHawgOn

factchecker

January 18, 2017, 03:45:05 pm #4 Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:05:31 pm by factchecker
Quote from: bjbuatamu on January 18, 2017, 03:18:34 pm
I would have listened to Senator Pryor (an Arkansas man with the best interest of the program and the University in mind) and started winning before demolition.   

How many other Arkansas men (and women?) are on the board of trustees that OK'd the demo and renovation.

I am constantly surprised by the backward, inbred, idiocy that plagues this state.  Why would you be mad about stadium improvement and renovations?

Be pissed about who is coaching the team, be pissed about our record, be pissed about the salaries of those in charge.

Stadium improvements are going to be here well after Long, Bielema, and probably you as a fan are gone.  These improvements are for future generations and reflect well upon our dedication.

This is the mentality that put the state capital in the situation it is in.  FedEx should have been here but nope.... "let's just keep things the way they are".   WMS should have been renovated and improved over time but nope.... "let's just keep things the way they are".  People wonder why we are moving all the games to campus.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

January 18, 2017, 03:52:01 pm #5 Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:05:08 pm by factchecker
I grew up in a small town in southwest Arkansas.  We had people pissed off when we put in our first red light. They thought it was a waste of tax payers money.  The same leaders who tried to keep the school from having prom because kids dancing = evil.

The anti-stadium renovation is the same backward, inbred, idiocy.

The worst part is that the majority of the people complaining never attend games and don't donate a dime. Unless you are a RF member or season ticket holder then you aren't paying for the improvements.  If you don't contribute then you have no room to talk.

I bet if we were to dig a little deeper we would discover the real reason why people are mad about the stadium renovations.

Clue:  It's not the renovations making people mad.... it's where they are happening.  It's just an extension of the Great Stadium Debate.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

TOM "tbw1"

In perfect agreement with the poster.

1.  Reduce seating at Razorback Stadium to the old 42,000 and take out the lights.
2.  Play Ole Miss at Crump Field
3.  Play LSU in Shreveport.
4.  Take the train to games.
5.  Tim Horton who has no experience as a head coach would make a perfect AD
6.  Coach Venables is from Kansas State and has many ties to Arkansas

I am ringing the nurse now for my medication.  I think I am hallucinating. 
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

The Boar War

Just to be clear Long has been here longer than he was at Pitt.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on January 18, 2017, 03:56:10 pm

I call high school games at Crump.  Hard to believe that used to be a showplace for college football in the south.  At least they have artificial turf now (but the scoreboard never works...)
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

factchecker

Wasn't our most successful (recent) coach from Montana?

Houston Nutt was from Arkansas (Little Rock).  Why don't we make Nutt AD?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

gchamblee

I don't agree with you, but I respect your opinion and the way you present it.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 03:58:38 pm
I call high school games at Crump.  Hard to believe that used to be a showplace for college football in the south.  At least they have artificial turf now (but the scoreboard never works...)

As long as they can hear the white hat, all's good.

justmakeit2thebcs

Was Frank from Arkansas? did he KNOW Arkansas...?  Are Texas recruits better than Louisiana or Florida recruits? 

When did Venables beat Bama? LOL...if being an assistant counts then we may have a few more candidates.

The man has been a DC for 17 years....what does the OP know that not one other AD in America knows.  Why has he not been hired as a HC?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: factchecker on January 18, 2017, 03:59:17 pm
Houston Nutt was from Arkansas (Little Rock).  Why don't we make Nutt AD?

I'd prefer the cold, decomposed corpse of John Barnhill to that.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 18, 2017, 04:20:09 pm
Was Frank from Arkansas? did he KNOW Arkansas...?  Are Texas recruits better than Louisiana or Florida recruits? 

When did Venables beat Bama? LOL...if being an assistant counts then we may have a few more candidates.

The man has been a DC for 17 years....what does the OP know that not one other AD in America knows.  Why has he not been hired as a HC?

And we ain't Clemson.  Not even close.  And 9-3 on a regular basis?  Not in the current CFB landscape.

I'd also be concerned about getting all those TX recruits?  I mean do they know Arkansas?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

GoHogs1091

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 18, 2017, 04:20:09 pm

You will have to ask Jeff Long that question.  According to the following 2015 article, he interviewed for our job in 2012.  From the link, and the following sentence is towards the end of the article.

Venables says he turned down a chance to interview for a "good" Power Five job this year, and the last job he interviewed for was at Arkansas in 2012.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/12/29/clemson-tigers-defensive-coordinator-brent-venables-has-been-perfect-fit

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 18, 2017, 04:53:16 pm
You will have to ask Jeff Long that question.  According to the following 2015 article, he interviewed for our job in 2012.  From the link, and the following sentence is towards the end of the article.

Venables says he turned down a chance to interview for a "good" Power Five job this year, and the last job he interviewed for was at Arkansas in 2012.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/12/29/clemson-tigers-defensive-coordinator-brent-venables-has-been-perfect-fit

Hard to believe it took 33 minutes for that response to be posted.  GoHogs, you're losing it in your old age.

Biggus Piggus

1.  Reduce seating at Razorback Stadium to the old 42,000 and take out the lights.

Perfect.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 18, 2017, 04:53:16 pm

Tragic.
[CENSORED]!

aar0n

Chizik beat Bama too and he was actually the HC, why don't we throw the checkbook at him?

ATU HOG

I think the OP hits on a few great points.  I think it's absolutely necessary for us to recruit Texas more and more.  The closest to playing in the SEC from Texas is A&M and Arkansas.  It's a great selling point and half of the enrollment at the university is from Texas.  We currently have one recruit coming in next year from Texas.

I get there is a lot of talent in Florida and Georgia, but the odds of us out recruiting the coaches from the state of Florida for top recruits are slim to none.

Just for reference number of Texas commits this year
OK State - 8
Bama - 3
OU - 9
LSU - 4
Arkansas - 1

I personally wish we wouldn't have expanded the stadium.  It's a unique stadium design and doesn't completely sell out most games anyway.  Just didn't see the demand there.  I get it, more boxes and suites...

Hawg Life

University of Arkansas academic leadership is from the Big Ten, athletic leadership is from the Big East (or whatever conference Pitt is in now), and our football program is led by a Head Coach from the Big Ten. We need leadership and coaches who know Arkansas first, and the SEC second (in particular the SEC West.) 

In my opinion, what this all means is that Arkansas can be a 9-3 team on a regular basis, IF we recruit Texas.  And when recruiting Texas, you recruit speed.  Coaches are interesting individuals.  A team is running the ball at ease and throws when not necessary.  A team puts no pressure on the opposing team's quarterback and gives him more than enough time to find an open receiver.  X's and O's do not seem difficult.  What is difficult is finding the athletes, in particular speedy athletes, who can perform fundamental tasks.  It is even more difficult when ESPN, social media, and our own fans have declared that Fayetteville is an impossible place to recruit to.  OU, OSU, TCU, Baylor, A&M, etc. (and even Alabama with it's freshman quarterback) are making a living off of Texans.  So it seems is the University of Arkansas enrollment. 

And then one must throw in the fact that adults are following the "tweets" of 17 year old children.  Times have changed since I was at a student at the U of A.  We had an Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and Sugar Bowl appearance all with recruits I had never heard of before they set foot on the field, i.e., Kevin Scanlon, Ron Calcagni, Ben Cowins, Steve Little, Ish Ordonez, etc.  So, if I were the leader of the program, I would have listened to Senator Pryor (an Arkansas man with the best interest of the program and the University in mind) and started winning before demolition.   

Just a thought, but.... hire Tim Horton away from Auburn as AD.  Open the checkbook for Brent Venables...a man who knows Texas recruiting, and more importantly, has beaten Alabama. 

That Saban guy and Les Miles weren't from Alabama & Louisiana, but they were from The BIG 10. They had pretty decent success @ those schools.

ricepig

Quote from: ATU HOG on January 18, 2017, 06:00:00 pm
I think the OP hits on a few great points.  I think it's absolutely necessary for us to recruit Texas more and more.  The closest to playing in the SEC from Texas is A&M and Arkansas.  It's a great selling point and half of the enrollment at the university is from Texas.  We currently have one recruit coming in next year from Texas.

I get there is a lot of talent in Florida and Georgia, but the odds of us out recruiting the coaches from the state of Florida for top recruits are slim to none.

Just for reference number of Texas commits this year
OK State - 8
Bama - 3
OU - 9
LSU - 4
Arkansas - 1

I personally wish we wouldn't have expanded the stadium.  It's a unique stadium design and doesn't completely sell out most games anyway.  Just didn't see the demand there.  I get it, more boxes and suites...

It will still be a unique stadium design, and now one with fans on both ends. As far as Tx numbers, I don't think we're finished in the state just yet.

GolfnHog

Of all those players you used as examples, not one was recruited out of Texas:
Scanlon-PA- by way of NC State
Calcagni- Youngstown, OH
Cowins- St. Louis, MO
Little- Overland Park, Ks
Ordonez- California

They all had the common denominator of the same coach by the name of Lou Holtz who also wasn't from anywhere near the SEC or south.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

sowmonella

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 03:58:38 pm

I was at the 59 game at Crump. We lost 29-0 and the fire Frank movement was started.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sowmonella on January 18, 2017, 06:12:27 pm
I was at the 59 game at Crump. We lost 29-0 and the fire Frank movement was started.

I was still just a twinkle in my daddy's eye in '59.  Made my debut the next fall.

Athog

Very funny!!

Hogwild

Quote from: aar0n on January 18, 2017, 05:50:03 pm
Chizik beat Bama too and he was actually the HC, why don't we throw the checkbook at him?

I would love to have gotten him as the DC

Al Boarland

Sure, CBB can recruit speed.  The problem is he is going to lose size.  We don't land the big and fast guys.  It's well documented who gets those guys.  So, pick your poison.  Do you want to get ran around or over?

Dwight_K_Shrute

This is laughable.  Hire the best people available regardless of where they are from.  Outside ideas and change are great.  A good AD/Administration can mix and match staff to fill the gaps have people from within and without. 

Excellent article today talking about the new breed of ADs and two guys that are doing it the right way and rising young stars in the game.

Greg Byrne went from MState to Arizona, to Alabama.  Scott Stricklin worked for Byrne at State became State's AD and now is at Florida.  While their SEC experience probably helped, what helped more is that are professional, energetic successful ADs.  They support their coaches and embrace social media and promote the hell out of their programs.

[tweet]821732180359581696[/tweet]
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Inhogswetrust

What planet did the OP come from. It sure isn't earth.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

26.2Hog

That's good.

But as a fan, it would be nice to take a Hog Train to games. 

Trains are great.  In fact, the great DC and orator, Joe Kines, was born on a train.

Anybody

Nutt is an a_ _ hat.  60 TO 70% of Hog fans can't stand the guy who was protected by Frank for 10 years where he ONLY won 49.6% of his SEC games.

GO HOGS 2017 !

onebadrubi

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 18, 2017, 06:46:09 pm
This is laughable.  Hire the best people available regardless of where they are from.  Outside ideas and change are great.  A good AD/Administration can mix and match staff to fill the gaps have people from within and without. 

Excellent article today talking about the new breed of ADs and two guys that are doing it the right way and rising young stars in the game.

Greg Byrne went from MState to Arizona, to Alabama.  Scott Stricklin worked for Byrne at State became State's AD and now is at Florida.  While their SEC experience probably helped, what helped more is that are professional, energetic successful ADs.  They support their coaches and embrace social media and promote the hell out of their programs.

Were these guys that state when state lost the bidding war on cam?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 18, 2017, 05:13:15 pm
Hard to believe it took 33 minutes for that response to be posted.  GoHogs, you're losing it in your old age.

I presume Bielema's brown nose letter to Jeff Long won out, and Long chose Bielema over Venables.

Meanwhile, Venables just won his 2nd National Championship ring of his career.

RazorPiggie

Need post counts before you can start threads.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 18, 2017, 10:12:49 pm
I presume Bielema's brown nose letter to Jeff Long won out, and Long chose Bielema over Venables.

While the venables hire at the time would have been interesting, and many would have supported it, no where does it say he would have accepted, just that he interviewed.  Also, at that time, Bielema was one of the hottest coaches in college

GoHogs1091

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 18, 2017, 10:15:55 pm
While the venables hire at the time would have been interesting, and many would have supported it, no where does it say he would have accepted, just that he interviewed.  Also, at that time, Bielema was one of the hottest coaches in college

Our loss.

According to the following linked article, Venables has the Nick Sabanesque attention to detail that is required to win at a consistent high-level.

Those three words — "attention to detail" — left the lips of four current and former players asked to describe Venables' greatest strengths. Like Swinney said, players make plays — Clemson has led the nation in tackles for a loss three consecutive years thanks to high draft picks Vic Beasley, Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd — but those same players rave over Venables' incessant preparation to go with his hair-raising enthusiasm.

http://www.postandcourier.com/archives/venables-attention-to-detail-secret-to-success-for-clemson-defense/article_2c307bae-426a-5c0f-a166-25ab467589de.html

JIHawg

The theory of putting home grown good ole boys in charge of things isn't supported by the Nick Saban experience.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 18, 2017, 10:26:26 pm
Our loss.

According to the following linked article, Venables has the Nick Sabanesque attention to detail that is required to win at a consistent high-level.

Those three words — "attention to detail" — left the lips of four current and former players asked to describe Venables' greatest strengths. Like Swinney said, players make plays — Clemson has led the nation in tackles for a loss three consecutive years thanks to high draft picks Vic Beasley, Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd — but those same players rave over Venables' incessant preparation to go with his hair-raising enthusiasm.

http://www.postandcourier.com/archives/venables-attention-to-detail-secret-to-success-for-clemson-defense/article_2c307bae-426a-5c0f-a166-25ab467589de.html

That is easy to say but we really don't know.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Houston Nutt is looking....  [/sarcasm]
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: GolfnHog on January 18, 2017, 06:05:23 pm
Of all those players you used as examples, not one was recruited out of Texas:
Scanlon-PA- by way of NC State
Calcagni- Youngstown, OH
Cowins- St. Louis, MO
Little- Overland Park, Ks
Ordonez- California

They all had the common denominator of the same coach by the name of Lou Holtz who also wasn't from anywhere near the SEC or south.

And boom goes the dynamite

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 18, 2017, 10:12:49 pm

Bielema won out because he was a successful Big Ten head coach with a great pedigree.

Venables still has not won a single game as a head coach, four years after he interviewed at Arkansas. His rings belong to somebody else.

Deshaun Watson has a ring. Maybe we could hire him to be our head coach.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

Great response, but you left out:
7. Only coaches born and raised in the SEC can win here.  Please disregard Meyer, Richt, Saban, and Miles
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

GoHogzzGo

Too funny, well played good sir, well played.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Hogwild

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 18, 2017, 06:46:09 pm

That's a very interesting article, you can remove the words Joe Alleva and insert Jeff Long and it pretty much is the same article.

QuoteThe success of a college athletic director, especially in a Power 5 league like the SEC, is judged differently by the school administration and its fanbase.

The administration is mostly concerned about an athletic department staying financially in the black, so it cares more about an AD staying on budget as well as being a great fundraiser.

The fanbase grades an AD on head coaching hires. Did the coach win championships or was the coach a flop?

The last two AD hires in the SEC -- Greg Byrne at Alabama on Monday and Scott Stricklin at Florida on Nov. 1 -- check all the above boxes.

It's a blueprint Arkansas needs to follow if they ever get rid of Jeff Long, who is none of the above. But since Long's contract runs through 2020 and he still has the support of the Board of Supervisors after some average coaching hires and an extremely fuzzy coaching search to replace the fired Bobby Petrino, it might be awhile before Arkansas is shopping for an AD.

That's hard for some Razorback fans to fathom, especially when Long's men's basketball coaches, John Pelphrey  and Mike Anderson, have a combined two NCAA Tournament wins in two appearances over the past nine seasons. Jimmy Dykes, Long's hire as women's coach, has yet to post a winning record in conference play. After the John L. Smith disaster, Long doubled down giving Bret Beilema an extremely gratuitous buyout despite a 2-10 conference record.

Razorbackers

This will be the offseason of our discontent

hawgXi

yup good idea.

maybe bring back tommy tubberville and terry don phillips??

Hogwild

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 19, 2017, 09:19:24 am
This will be the offseason of our discontent

To be fair only a few posters have been content with the program's trajectory since October.