Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 17, 2017, 08:52:02 am
Or even accepting it maybe.

Quote from: JBurgess on January 17, 2017, 08:54:26 am
Or even expecting it maybe.

I think he was accepting to the idea of expecting it to be PR

majp51

My one concern is that promoting from within seems to imply that nothing is really wrong with the existing coaches. It has the feeling of shuffling deck chairs on the titanic while the ship is sinking.

I'm not saying it won't work out , just how the hire feels. I mean it's certainly possible that he ends up being a better hire than say Todd Grantham, but Todd moves the needle, and for a team that needs to get some traction in recruiting Does Paul really move the needle?

mizzouman

Quote from: majp51 on January 17, 2017, 12:40:58 pm
My one concern is that promoting from within seems to imply that nothing is really wrong with the existing coaches. It has the feeling of shuffling deck chairs on the titanic while the ship is sinking.

I'm not saying it won't work out , just how the hire feels. I mean it's certainly possible that he ends up being a better hire than say Todd Grantham, but Todd moves the needle, and for a team that needs to get some traction in recruiting Does Paul really move the needle?
But with Rhoads, he has done the DC job before and has done it well, very well. 

He obviously struggled at ISU but who doesn't? 

As far as the secondary struggles for the Hogs this year, you have to remember that the secondary has to play within the total scheme of the defense.  If Rhodes wanted to do something different, he may not have had that opportunity.

Let it play out.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 17, 2017, 09:37:59 am
Rhoads was our #2, it seems.

Diaco was being courted by a lot of different teams, and ended up in a great place.

I fail to see how landing one of your top 2 targets is settling.
maybe, but when PR was hired, I think many suspected that he took the job as DC in waiting.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 17, 2017, 11:24:22 am
Rhodes is a solid upgrade. Good hire.

I'm no scholar, but I agree.   A good, not colossal, hire.   I hope the coverage schemes next year won't leave the DBs on an island.

aar0n

Why is it that the ones who can't spell or compose a sentence to save their lives are the only ones to complain about this hire? 

Rhetorical question - it's because they're idiots.

a0ashle

People who are upset about internal promotion are missing a key factor. What could CPR have done as DB coach to change the defense as a whole? It was always CRS's job on the line last year, for CPR to try to make big changes would be gambling with someone else's job, which sounds like playing with house money until realize that's a person.

Additionally we don't know that he didn't suggest changes to CRS that got shut down.

He's our next DC, if you don't like it, you can be miserable about it and try to convince other people to miserable with you, or you can make the best of it and see how it plays out.

redneckfriend

Tell you what. Get some players and he will be a great DC. Don't get some players and all the bitching about Smith will continue with this one.

a0ashle

Quote from: Wisco Pig on January 17, 2017, 12:48:05 pm
I'm no scholar, but I agree.   A good, not colossal, hire.   I hope the coverage schemes next year won't leave the DBs on an island.

I see what you did there. (Assuming it was intentional)

Wisco Pig

Quote from: a0ashle on January 17, 2017, 12:55:43 pm
I see what you did there. (Assuming it was intentional)

See what? 

Go Packers!

a0ashle

Quote from: Wisco Pig on January 17, 2017, 12:57:21 pm
See what? 

Go Packers!

Go! Pack! Go!

You're not a "Rhodes" scholar, I assumed that play on words was in response to the the misspelling of Paul Rhoads name. Either way it made me laugh.

Hogsmo Kramer

Kinda meh, but whatever.

Hope it works out, can't be any worse.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Razorback de Nosferatu

I'm going to (safely, I figure) assume that nobody on this board has any idea exactly where Rhoads was on Coach Bielema's list.  There'd been a narrative in the media that Rhoads at the very least was going to be Co-DC for next year, so it seems logical that CBB has always thought pretty highly of him.

If the guy weren't already on CBB's staff, I think most would consider this a pretty decent hire.  He's had success as a DC, including in the SEC, and he's a former head coach at a P5 school.

Maybe it's not a slam dunk hire (as if those always work out, anyway), but it's a quality one.  I don't know how anybody could argue the man has a bad resume.

I do think this hire is a little bit risky for CBB, at least regarding his relationship with the fans and perhaps the local media.  Fair or not, Rhoads was part of last season's staff... If there isn't obvious improvement next year, most of that is going to come down on CBB, since he didn't bring in somebody new to take at least a portion of the blame.

Regardless, I like that Rhoads is getting an opportunity.  He has the background for it, and many times, the pass defense was the best part about last year's squad.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on January 17, 2017, 01:43:14 pm
I'm going to (safely, I figure) assume that nobody on this board has any idea where Rhoads was on Coach Bielema's list.  There'd been a narrative in the media that Rhoads at the very least was going to be Co-DC for next year, so it seems logical that CBB has always thought pretty highly of him.

If the guy weren't already on CBB's staff, I think most would consider this a pretty decent hire.  He's had success as a DC, including in the SEC, and he's a former head coach at a P5 school.

Maybe it's not a slam dunk hire (as if those always work out, anyway), but it's a quality one.  I don't know how anybody could argue the man has a bad resume.

I do think this hire is a little bit risky for CBB, at least regarding his relationship with the fans and perhaps the local media.  Fair or not, Rhoads was part of last season's staff... If there isn't obvious improvement next year, most of that is going to come down on CBB, since he didn't bring in somebody new to take at least a portion of the blame.

Regardless, I like that Rhoads is getting an opportunity.  He has the background for it, and many times, the pass defense was the best part about last year's squad.
The pass defense was terrible.just like everything else on this pitiful defense. you have a right to your opinion.but i disagree.

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 01:46:55 pm
The pass defense was terrible.just like everything else on this pitiful defense. you have a right to your opinion.but i disagree.

The "best" part of a terrible product can still be terrible.  Let's see what Rhoads can do as the DC.  He hasn't had that chance yet here.

Mike Irwin

Statistically the secondary improved about 50% in one year under Rhoads. There's only so much you can do with existing personnel. Obviously Bielema needs to put more of an emphasis on recruiting quality defensive players. I understood this imbalance under Petrino but Bielema has a background in defense. Seems odd especially when Saban proves every year that you win championships with defense.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on January 17, 2017, 01:49:59 pm
The "best" part of a terrible product can still be terrible.  Let's see what Rhoads can do as the DC.  He hasn't had that chance yet here.
We will see. i have very grave concerns.

Kevin

the football defense was horrible, the dc leaves, we hire from within, which leads to a new position coach being hired. ( you are not happy)

the basketball team goes 16-16, the changes are trade the academic coach/radio announcer with an assistant coach, (you are happy)

only in your world
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

forrest city joe

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 17, 2017, 01:53:33 pm
Statistically the secondary improved about 50% in one year under Rhoads. There's only so much you can do with existing personnel. Obviously Bielema needs to put more of an emphasis on recruiting quality defensive players. I understood this imbalance under Petrino but Bielema has a background in defense. Seems odd especially when Saban proves every year that you win championships with defense.
Mike you are a man i greatly respect. so you will get no push back from me.just to much respect for you. so i will leave it at that. glad you are doing well these days.God Bless.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Seems odd especially when Saban proves every year that you win championships with defense.

I think this year Dabo proved that.  :D (insert Jalen Hurts joke here)

-phil

DeltaBoy

Yes but to me is shows how bad the dumpster fire was he walked into.  He had to focus on rebuilding the O first in his eyes and that didn't leave much scholarships for folks on the D add in the outright bust and you see why we are still struggling.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 17, 2017, 09:02:04 am
http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_8ada2378-7282-11e5-ab51-578506679f2e.html

http://www.amestrib.com/article/20151002/Sports/310029984

Some reading on his last attempt to install a 3-4. 
I think it's a good thing that we have a DC who has some experience transitioning to a 3-4 scheme (even if it was as a HC).  It could be that CPR will already know some of the pitfalls that could ensue and have an idea of how to cross them before they cause problems for the Hogs.

-phil

Pork Twain

How many threads do you need to do this to?

A position coach only has so much control over how the overall defense performs. 
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on January 17, 2017, 01:43:14 pm
Perhaps that says something about CBB's character (willingness to take the blame if he makes a mistake) and faith in CPR as a DC.

-phil

forrest city joe

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 17, 2017, 02:02:08 pm
How many threads do you need to do this to?
Same amount you do in Jump Ball on the Anderson can't coach,and the fire Anderson threads. anymore questions?

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on January 17, 2017, 02:04:03 pm
Perhaps that says something about CBB's character (willingness to take the blame if he makes a mistake) and faith in CPR as a DC.

-phil

I agree.

Pork Twain

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 02:09:52 pm
Same amount you do in Jump Ball on the Anderson can't coach,and the fire Anderson threads. anymore questions?
Not doing this, you are going on ignore.  Adios...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Großer Kriegschwein

lol.

FCJ back in full effect. Talking about subjects he knows just enough about to fill the  inside of a matchbook, with a grease pencil.

Smh
This is my non-signature signature.

East TN HAWG

It was the pass rush that was horrible.  We applied no pressure.  Deon Sanders could not cover a WR 4-6 seconds. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2017, 09:42:37 am
Well, the first words about any possibilities for DC had Rhoads as at least Co-DC, so we don't know who was or wasn't offered the other half of that.

I know you made mention of this the other day as well.. and it makes sense.. I thought and posted months ago that PR was selected a year ago.. not saying guaranteed but I think CBB saw an opp to really upgrade his staff and knew Paul also had DC capabilities...

I also think the Diaco interview was a rue.. CBB could have told Bob his plan over the phone day 1, and that be it....Our showing interest  helped Bob land a job rapidly, at a great university, at a higher pay than Nebraska had ever paid.. all part of the plan. 

Wonder if we could now bring in another Co-DC or is it to late for that title...

Dominicanhog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 17, 2017, 02:29:55 pm
It was the pass rush that was horrible.  We applied no pressure.  Deon Sanders could not cover a WR 4-6 seconds.

first he was asked to set the edge...

Großer Kriegschwein

Pork Twain

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 17, 2017, 09:37:59 am
Rhoads was our #2, it seems.

Diaco was being courted by a lot of different teams, and ended up in a great place.

I fail to see how landing one of your top 2 targets is settling.
Not sure why people would assume anything from snipits from the press.  We have seen time and time again that they are off base as much as on it.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 17, 2017, 03:32:41 pm
Not sure why people would assume anything from snipits from the press.  We have seen time and time again that they are off base as much as on it.

Has been a head coach in the Big 12 where they pretty much perfected that hurry-up stuff. Should have a pretty good game plan for TCU put together by the time we play them.

I'm in wait and see mode. My opinion of CBB pretty much rests on the following:

1) Development of Austin Allen
2) Stopping the bleeding of our Defensive Line
3) Continue the improvement of our secondary.
4) Getting off to a fast start.

If that doesn't happen next year, then he's gonna have to work on getting me back on the bus.

hog.goblin

You are right Joe, but he's actually talking about football here.  Your statement about the pitiful defense against teams that pass the ball belongs in Jump Ball.

The Hawg Marshal

I'm willing to give the man a chance.Luckily for him he doesn't have to do much to be considered a success after the last two years. But I'd be willing to bet that with some of our red shirts , Greenlaw coming back and several of our younger players having some experience now, we will see a nice uptick in our defensive production next year. Its better for me personally to be optimistic. Some of you guys should try it.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 17, 2017, 09:02:04 am
http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_8ada2378-7282-11e5-ab51-578506679f2e.html

http://www.amestrib.com/article/20151002/Sports/310029984

Some reading on his last attempt to install a 3-4. 

No idea if it will work - the defensive change or Rhoads.  This is more my doubts on Arkansas' ability to build defenses than it is the 3-4 or Rhoads.  Hopefully he can improve it to not being a liability.  Maybe one which will be more aggressive and can at least make big plays and create turnovers.

A legit question. I know when CBB first brought the 3-4 up it seemed he was talking more of a situational thing. Has he clarified that we are going to a 3-4 as our base defense?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hawgar The Horrible

I've got a question. When you post an opinion within a thread, why can't you leave it at that?

You type some chit, 113 people immediately say you're FOS, yet you feel the need to reply to each.

All you are doing is enforcing what most everyone already knows...you have the IQ of a turnip.

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 17, 2017, 09:50:35 am
You guys are a trip.Paul Rhodes was out of work when coach B hired him.the idea that people will be beating down the door to get him is just your opinion.it's not base on any facts.we are going to find out if this is a good hire.i have grave concerns about this hire.
Technically speaking, Diaco would have been out of work as well had we hired him. So there is that.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

elksnort

Quote from: porkribz on January 17, 2017, 11:10:56 am
I don't know what kind of DC CPR will be. But my little exposure to him would lead me to guess he's up to the task. When we were there at camp, he left the biggest impression on me of all the position coaches I saw. He was very vocal before,during,and after plays and drills. Constantly coaching up,correcting, and praising with the enthusiasm of a rabid fan. From everything my untrained eye saw and the many reports I've gotten back from there this season, I expect a good/high chance he makes an effective DC. He's well liked and respected there.
This is better information than most of what one can get on this board.

WorfHog

Hope it works out or we might be looking for a new HC next season.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ChitownHawg on January 17, 2017, 04:57:49 pm
A legit question. I know when CBB first brought the 3-4 up it seemed he was talking more of a situational thing. Has he clarified that we are going to a 3-4 as our base defense?
I'm curious too, because that was my impression as well.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

Quote from: WorfHog on January 17, 2017, 07:01:35 pm

Or the next, or the next.

SamBuckhart

Turn some recruits into War Daddies or War Pigs. I hope CPR has got some magic. Wooo Pig!
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WorfHog on January 17, 2017, 07:01:35 pm

You already predicted it to be a failure in another thread saying that we would be looking for another DC next year and perhaps a new HC as well. So I am a little confused. Do you really hope it works out or do you really believe the hire was a failure?

I'll say this, if there isn't significant improvement in the overall performance of the team this coming season, you may get your wish, or at least be able to crow about your prediction this time next year. If Bielema fails to improve significantly over last season, I will agree that it is time for a change. I'm not far from that now, but in the meantime I see no reason to whine and complain and be negative with every post (or most posts) that I make.

I think that given Rhoads background and what he says that he embraces that at the very least, we will see a group of players on the field this coming season that play with greater emotion and motivation, which should take care of the "effort" part of the complaint and I think that they will also apply more pressure playing an attacking style of defense, especially up front. That alone should yield more positive results than what we witnessed this year and if the offense can run the ball consistently and play hard into the second half, we should see better results from this team.

It is a wait and see proposition. I know this, I have a lot more hope with Rhoads at the helm of the defense than I would have if Smith had been retained.
Go Hogs Go!

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: porkribz on January 17, 2017, 11:10:56 am
I don't know what kind of DC CPR will be. But my little exposure to him would lead me to guess he's up to the task. When we were there at camp, he left the biggest impression on me of all the position coaches I saw. He was very vocal before,during,and after plays and drills. Constantly coaching up,correcting, and praising with the enthusiasm of a rabid fan. From everything my untrained eye saw and the many reports I've gotten back from there this season, I expect a good/high chance he makes an effective DC. He's well liked and respected there.
Stop bringing actual first hand knowledge to this board.  You are ruining people's agendas!

lakecityhog

Guys, while I am happy with the Rhoads promotion(not Hire) I think that we should all be just a bit more honest about our defense.
The simple truth is that we really aren't sure if our pass defense improved or not. When teams are consistently running the ball as easily as most teams seemed to do against us, why throw the ball? Auburn threw for 89 yards and I have to question why? When you are running the ball like they were I would have just put my QB's arm in a sling!

I know this, we gave up over 200 yards passing 7 times, 3 times over 250 yards and 2 times over 300 yards. We gave up over 200 yards rushing only 5 times, twice over 300 yards and once over 500 yards.
Basically, we had a pretty bad defense and ANYONE that refuses to accept that needs to go watch some game replays.

Can Rhoads "fix" our problems? Only time will tell. We had better hope that he can. I'm not sure that he needs to even try to "fix" our defense, to me he should just try to improve our defense.
Tackle better in space---fewer long runs
Maintain gap control---contain these running QB's
Find a way to get pressure---Force some quick, inaccurate throws

If he can simply get our defense to allow 1 less TD per game average.
If he can help us to create 1 extra turnover per game.
If he can force just 1 extra 3-n-out per half
What kind of difference will that make?

The real key is BB, will he turn him loose to do the things that can help us to be better?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 17, 2017, 08:16:34 pm
The real key is BB, will he turn him loose to do the things that can help us to be better?

At this point, he really has no other choice. Well he does have a choice, but he doesn't. And I am not sure how much he "meddled" in what his Coordinators were trying to accomplish, though many will disagree. We really have no proof one way or the other. I remember in Enos' first season, Enos was playing it conservative and Bielema had to tell him, "if you see something, take a shot, go with it". It's like Enos needed that voice of permission to become more aggressive in play calling. Was that because he felt that Bielema wanted to govern the play calling, or was it because it was his first season and he didn't know how far Bielema would allow him to go with his own game plan? Enos became better after that moment.

Smith on the other hand seemed to get worse by year and there isn't any real and factual reason for that. If there was a time that Bielema should have been more "hands on", this was surely it. But I think that he truly attempts to allow his Coordinators to run their own show, with his oversight. I do think that he allowed Smith and the defense to go down a wrong road for too long. I think he will give Rhodes the same consideration as DC but only because Rhodes has also been where he is, as a HC and has a lot more experience than RS ever had.
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

Yep CBB sure is gifted at hiring assistants. Excuse some  of us that are in put up or shut up mode. This is another crappy hire into a crappy philosophy until proven otherwise.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 17, 2017, 02:29:55 pm
Winner!