Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defensive Philosophy

Started by hogman99, January 16, 2017, 08:59:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogman99

lakecityhog

WOW!!! That is what defense is all about.

lakecityhog

GoHogs1091

To me, the only defensive scheme/defensive philosophy entire season game film that needs to be watched and studied.

Gary Gibbs' 1985 Oklahoma Sooners Defense   Allowed an average of 8.58 points per game   2 shutouts

Gary Gibbs' 1986 Oklahoma Sooners Defense   Allowed an average of 6.75 points per game   5 shutouts   #1 Total Defense in the nation, #1 Scoring Defense in the nation, #1 Rushing Defense in the nation, and #1 Passing Defense in the nation

Brent Venables' 2009 Oklahoma Sooners Defense   Allowed an average of 14.54 points per game   3 shutouts   Despite being on the field a lot because QB Sam Bradford missed a lot of the 2009 season due to an injury.

Brent Venables' 2014 Clemson Tigers Defense   Allowed an average of 16.69 points per game   2 shutouts   #1 Total Defense in the nation, #1 Team Passing Efficiency Defense in the nation, #5 Rushing Defense in the nation, #3 Scoring Defense in the nation, #2 Passing Yards Allowed in the nation, #1 3rd Down Conversion Percentage Defense in the nation, #1 First Downs Defense in the nation, and #1 Team Tackles for Loss in the nation

Brent Venables' 2016 Clemson Tigers Defense   Allowed an average of 18 points per game   3 shutouts  (one of the shutouts included shutting out an Urban Meyer coached team; the first time an Urban Meyer coached team has ever been shutout)   #8 Total Defense in the nation (despite 1,008 total plays by opposing Offenses during the season), #4 Team Passing Efficiency Defense in the nation, #5 3rd Down Conversion Percentage Defense in the nation, and #3 Team Tackles for Loss in the nation

gawntrail

Tackle the guy with the ball.  Decapitate receivers after the catch.  Swarm to the ball.  Punch and strip the ball.  Jump the under routes.  Blanket the deep routes.  Deepest man in your zone.  Grind the QB into the turf on runs and picks.  Scoop and score.  Pick six.  Hand the ball to the fat guy in stripes that chased you into the end zone with his hands in the air.

Rinse and repeat every single opportunity.

Did I miss anything?

bennyl08

Defensive nihilism? Tackle through the player, not to the player?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gawntrail on January 18, 2017, 02:10:30 am
Tackle the guy with the ball.  Decapitate receivers after the catch.  Swarm to the ball.  Punch and strip the ball.  Jump the under routes.  Blanket the deep routes.  Deepest man in your zone.  Grind the QB into the turf on runs and picks.  Scoop and score.  Pick six.  Hand the ball to the fat guy in stripes that chased you into the end zone with his hands in the air.

Rinse and repeat every single opportunity.

Did I miss anything?

Yes. You needed to add this after the bolded quote: "Walk around acting like you don't understand why you were flagged after decapitating that receiver, while you march backwards 15 yards and maybe to the locker room". ;)

I'm all for calling the flagrant blows to the head that are obvious, but it has been taken to an extreme to the point that even incidental contact to the helmet that occurs during the course of the play, by no fault of either player, can be called. A good example was that play this last season when an INT was made in close quarters and as Coley (I think it was Coley) was coming over to lend support, blocked the receiver. I'm sure you remember, it was a "bang-bang" play and a truly ridiculous personal foul and targeting call that resulted in his ejection.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

ATTACK   my HS coach was always preaching maintain your gap control and ATTACK!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pork Twain

As we all are, I am very interested to see our new defensive scheme in the first game
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

farmhawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 16, 2017, 10:59:45 pm
To me, the only defensive scheme/defensive philosophy entire season game film that needs to be watched and studied.

Gary Gibbs' 1985 Oklahoma Sooners Defense   Allowed an average of 8.58 points per game   2 shutouts

Gary Gibbs' 1986 Oklahoma Sooners Defense   Allowed an average of 6.75 points per game   5 shutouts   #1 Total Defense in the nation, #1 Scoring Defense in the nation, #1 Rushing Defense in the nation, and #1 Passing Defense in the nation

Brent Venables' 2009 Oklahoma Sooners Defense   Allowed an average of 14.54 points per game   3 shutouts   Despite being on the field a lot because QB Sam Bradford missed a lot of the 2009 season due to an injury.

Brent Venables' 2014 Clemson Tigers Defense   Allowed an average of 16.69 points per game   2 shutouts   #1 Total Defense in the nation, #1 Team Passing Efficiency Defense in the nation, #5 Rushing Defense in the nation, #3 Scoring Defense in the nation, #2 Passing Yards Allowed in the nation, #1 3rd Down Conversion Percentage Defense in the nation, #1 First Downs Defense in the nation, and #1 Team Tackles for Loss in the nation

Brent Venables' 2016 Clemson Tigers Defense   Allowed an average of 18 points per game   3 shutouts  (one of the shutouts included shutting out an Urban Meyer coached team; the first time an Urban Meyer coached team has ever been shutout)   #8 Total Defense in the nation (despite 1,008 total plays by opposing Offenses during the season), #4 Team Passing Efficiency Defense in the nation, #5 3rd Down Conversion Percentage Defense in the nation, and #3 Team Tackles for Loss in the nation
Imagine that.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

tophawg19

my hope is that we aren't running the bend but don't break version of the 3-4 where the DB's line up 7 to 10 yards off the WR's
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Josh Goforth

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 18, 2017, 07:57:15 pm
my hope is that we aren't running the bend but don't break version of the 3-4 where the DB's line up 7 to 10 yards off the WR's
Rhoads is a longtime member of the bend but dont break crowd.

Buff

Last year we bent and then broke.  Can we just correct the "don't break" part?  Baby steps.

LZH

Quote from: Josh Goforth on January 22, 2017, 10:24:52 am

I sure hope not. This Don Brown sounds like my kind of Coach. I would rather lose while literally trying to kill the offense than by playing like we are afraid to get beat.

King Kong

Quote from: Josh Goforth on January 22, 2017, 10:24:52 am

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bta03I7dwEk"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheEnemy

Quote from: Buff on January 22, 2017, 11:59:02 am
Last year we bent and then broke.  Can we just correct the "don't break" part?  Baby steps.

Bend but don't break doesn't work if you:

1)  Are bad at tackling and angles

2)  Soft against the run

3)  Can't pressure the QB consistently with your front 4